AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-12-21, 21:32   Link #121
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Kyoukai no Kanata is getting a lot of flak here and it probably is my choice too for the most disappointing anime of the year but in my opinion, it is no way NO WAY the worst show of 2013.
It's definitely not. It's an ambitious failure with some huge flaws, which unfortunately earned it my vote. Tv series aren't like movies, so it's not like I watch a whole lot of ones I consider downright terrible to completion. That's simply too much of an investement, unless you for whatever reason go in with a preconception that it has potential to improve over time. The worst shows of the year are probably some of the ones I didn't finish, or outright avoided.

Now that Kyoukai no Kanata has completed its run, I'm actually even more disappointed, because the last few episodes had some incredibly gorgeous action scenes and visuals in them that would have resonated strongly with me if I liked the characters or cared more about the world they were building. Mirai is still cool in my book, but not much else.
Old 2013-12-23, 04:35   Link #122
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Aku no Hana: When announced, I gave the first chapters a quick read and got really excited about it, but the anime looked really awful, it's probably the ugliest art I have seen since late '90s... and yes I know it was intentional, still a bad choice IMHO.

MaouYuu: I was expecting the another Ookami to Koushinryou, but I only watched uninteresting characters in even more uninteresting situations.

OreImou2: OK, I wasn't expecting to like it, since the situations and character development was already silly, but those final episodes were just an insult to the intelligence of even the most loyal fan.

Galilei Donna: I really love Umetsu's early works (<2000) and considered him one of the few people in the industry who can "adapt" western media into anime, but this one completely failed to do so. At least it looked good and had some great ideas, but as almost all NoitaminA anime too many concessions have to be made that water down the end.
Old 2013-12-23, 15:25   Link #123
MgMaster

OreImo S2 - This is by far,the most disappointing anime of 2013 for me.I marathoned the 1st season and it's OVAs about a week before the 2nd season started airing and I found myself enjoying it quite a bit - almost as much as Haganai.
Seeing S2 get worst & worst with each passing episode wasn't exactly fun, culminating in that terrible cop-out of an ending.This show left an impact on me on how disappointing it was.It made me warry of tsundere imouto-characters in general,unless they're played for comic relief(such as Yuragi in NouKome) and nothing more.

I don't read any LNs,only played a few english-translated VNS and barely read any manga so I'm an anime-only viewer most of the time that usually tries to keep his expectations in check.I also don't generally watch a show I don't like just for the sake of finishing it (with few exceptions,OreImo being one of them).As such,I haven't been that much disappointed by anything else other than OreImo S2 but if I were to name a few others:

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi - I was getting into this one as I found it's world to be pretty interesting along with Hampnie. It started becoming a drag after the 1st arc ended, and the ending of the 1st arc itself felt rushed. Killing off an important, likeable & interesting character in order to leave a major impact & serve as a catalyst so that others can grown is all fine but not when the other characters are so bland. It wasn't so much of an interesting world anymore when seen through the eyes of such a bland character as Ai.

Kimi No Iru Machi - As a manga reader,my expectations were so-so for this. Although rage-inducing, I thought the manga managed to keep many readers pretty interested in the arc they decided to animate but how the hell can they expect the most dramatic arc of the series to work if people don't give a damn about the characters because they hardly had any time to get to know them and they HAD plenty of material to work with. Skipping the 1st arc of the manga and expecting people care about the characters with just a few episodes showing how everything started was a terrible decision. Of course,it had plenty of other issues but this was definitely the biggest.

Monogatari 2nd - This is to a MUCH LESSER EXTENT than the others and I still find it quite enjoyable to watch(especially the Hitagi End arc) but I really felt the lack of Senjougahara throughout it's run, moreso than Nisemonogatari. I feel this is my own fault for expecting her have a more important role in the franchise though.
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-24, 22:46   Link #124
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Disappointing means that you had expectations coming into a series, by the way.

Hmm, let's see. Mine was definitely Maouyuu, especially coming in as a reader of both the light novel and the very nicely-done Kotowaru! manga. What we got... Was a pretty dry adaptation. Boring, really. The studio just didn't get it, apparently.
Old 2013-12-25, 05:14   Link #125
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Christmas update, merry Christmas everyone!

Kyoukai no Kanata/Beyond the Boundary: 23 votes

Ore no Imouto S2: 16 votes

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: 15 votes

Coppelion: 12 votes

Suisei no Gargantia: 9 Votes

Devil Survivor 2: 8 votes

7 votes:

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi
Infinite Stratos 2
Photo Kano
Kimi no Iru Machi

6 votes:

Free!
Attack on Titan

5 votes:

Galilei Donna

4 votes:

Red Data Girl

3 votes:

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Yuyushiki
Amnesia
Brothers Conflict
Valvrave the Liberator
High School dxd New
DanganRonpa

2 votes:

Log Horizon
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S
Kotoura-san
Gin no Saji
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen
Da Capo 3
Diabolik Lovers
Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Freezing Vibration
Tamako Market
Day Beak Illusion
Majestic Prince
Utau no Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 2000%
Kill la Kill
Futari wa Milky Holmes
Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties
Samurai Flamenco
Severing Crime Edge

1 vote:

Little Busters Refrain
Outbreak Company
Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
Hataraku Maou-sama!
Wanna Be The Strongest in the World
Gatchaman Crowds
Golden Time
Yuushibu
Rozen Maiden
Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku
Monogatari 2nd
Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova
Aku no Hana
Blazblue: AM
Steins Gate: Fuka Ryoiki no deja vu

This is an important date today as from now on no movies/OVAs/ONAs/specials shown after Christmas are eligible as they are now part of Winter 2013/2014 line up instead of Autumn 2013. Fortunately I can use Christmas as a bridge between Autumn and Winter releases. I'm quite glad Japan is at north hemisphere of the planet rather than south, that could be chaotic. By the way thanks to moderators who cleaned up this thread. Sorry if it makes you busy.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-25, 05:17   Link #126
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

It's kind of surprise to that Red Data Girl only gets 4 votes. If possible, add me to the list.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-25, 17:12   Link #127
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Disappointing means that you had expectations coming into a series, by the way.
Not necessarily. I knew nothing about my selection, Kotoura-san, before watching the first episode, but that episode was so unusually powerful that it raised my expectations about what the rest of the series might hold. Sadly the remaining episodes never measured up.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-26, 20:55   Link #128
Joyce_Steele
Banned

Let me vote for one last time, Samurai Flamenco and Yuyushiki.

Samurai Flamenco started strong but lose its steam at the end and as for Yuyushiki, it is one of the laziest anime I ever saw in my life despite liking the show's premises(light slice-of-life).
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-27, 00:26   Link #129
larethian

Now that VVV has ended, I can say that it is really the most disappointing for me.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 04:32   Link #130
oompa loompa

I'm going to go with Hataraku Maou-Sama! . Not the worst certainly, but definitely the most 'disappointing' show I've seen in a while. I picked it up because so many people said it was the most 'surprisingly good' anime of 2013, and i was surprised at just how mediocre it was; not that it didn't have its moments but it was essentially senseless, particularly the way the characters interacted with each other ( not to say that it didn't have some good funnies sprinkled in). When I say senseless, I mean completely, utterly senseless. I want to add,, I'm so dissapointed with the show because it did two things differently that I really appreciated, and simply don't see enough of; The first is that the cast is balanced enough so that it doesn't need to spiral into a harem (although it looks like thats exactly whats going to happen), and the second is the cast is not (completely), made up of teenagers. in fact, when I think of the premise, there's actually quite a lot of promise there; I was hoping the show would be about Sadao and Ashiya doing petty no-good dastardly deeds, with Emi thwarting them at every turn, but instead it was basically.. nothing.

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2013-12-28 at 17:06.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 06:41   Link #131
Dextro
He Without a Title

I hadn't added this one before but I'll add it now: Galilei Donna. I actually enjoyed the show quite a bit. It was a fun ride that worked perfectly as weekly entertainment but then the final episode practically rewrote the definition of rushed. It looks like they really had a lot more in store but time just ran out (which is kind of what happened in fact). A shame really.
Old 2013-12-29, 02:12   Link #132
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I hadn't added this one before but I'll add it now: Galilei Donna. I actually enjoyed the show quite a bit. It was a fun ride that worked perfectly as weekly entertainment but then the final episode practically rewrote the definition of rushed. It looks like they really had a lot more in store but time just ran out (which is kind of what happened in fact). A shame really.
I found Galilei Donna's ending weak too. Though for me it only gets second place next to Ore no Imouto S2 because I prefer a weak ending to one that is excruciating to watch. Coppelion and Kotoura-san (due to the decline, I still loved the show) would be a very distant third and fourth, and the rest I'm not inclined to bother ranking because I was mildly disappointing at best.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 09:35   Link #133
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Quick update:

Red Data Girl: 5 votes
Samurai Flamenco: 3 votes
Yuyushiki: 4 votes
Hataraku Maou-Sama!: 2 votes
Galilei Donna: 6 votes
Valvrave the Liberator: 4 votes

Note: larethian mentioned "VVV" and my wild guess here is "Valvrave" since it has three v's in it.

Hurry up guys there are two more days left.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 17:24   Link #134
kitten320

OreNoImouto for me too. I still have to properly watch the last OVAs even though I know the ending. Like don't get me wrong, I don't mind the pairing. However, what I do mind is how poorly it was handled and how MC turned into complete idiot. At first he is crying "Kuroko come back, I love you!" and then "My sister is against, let's stop dating". Like WHAT?!

Devil Survivor - never finished it. started impressive and then I fully lost interest in it. Can't even remember why, it was just that boring.
Old 2013-12-29, 19:50   Link #135
Fuyuno
Banned

For one last time I decided to vote for Red Data Girl. It wasn't that bad actually but I just surprised to see how few the votes it got considering this is a high-profiled show from PA Works that failed to deliver, sort of.

Off-topic, I think Space Dandy may be the future offender. It had cool, macho, banchou-like character doing macho things but other than that it had almost nothing to deliver except boring and predictable action-comedy show. I think I already saw its best parts in its trailer alone.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 21:10   Link #136
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Have only watched 3 episodes but from all the reactions after a certain episode seems to me there is more to it than that
It just goes off in a different darker tone.

I wasn't disappointed in SF.....I might go back to it eventually...but while I do realize it's a pisstake on Tokatsu(?) series(which I admit, I have no familarity with), it just seemed......odd. Not in that PMMM/Evangelion where you're going 'HOLY SHIT' just...off.
Old 2013-12-31, 03:31   Link #137
Joyce_Steele
Banned

I hate to spam but I think the "winner" is already decided. Now all I have to do is to wait for thread creator to update this thread.

Ore no Imouto S2 need to "win" though but no need to cry over spilled milk.

Last edited by Joyce_Steele; 2013-12-31 at 03:58.
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 03:52   Link #138
DarkJak2050

Kind of feel the same way with Infinite Stratos 2.

I feel that it should be higher up than Gargantia. I guess that most of its viewers watch it for the Fanservice and it sure didn't disappoint them in that department. Which also explains why it's not higher up than it should be.

I guess that's how anime fans are now these days...

I like to have a fair share of Fanservice, too. But sometimes you just got to know when to stop.
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 05:05   Link #139
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I would have to cast my vote, like many others, for Kyoukai no Kanata.
Expectations were not met, and the story was quite lackluster. Characters felt no more endearing than an average, mediocre dime-a-dozen anime.
Visuals were amazing as always, but that alone can't save our disappointment.

I still would rather watch this than majority of the shows on air, but nontheless, it did not deliver against what was expected considering the stellar studio, production values, and setting.

It doesn't suck, it's simply mediocre. But it was expected not to be.
Old 2013-12-31, 05:17   Link #140
Lyocol
Banned

I guess if Free! was never shown then people would have better perception on Kyoukai no Kanata but too bad the damage was already done. By the way KnK could got better reviews if it was a 3-hour movie instead of 12-episode TV series.

Only few hours left before this thread closed for voting but just like Joyce_Steele said we already have the "winner".
Lyocol is offline   Reply With Quote