AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2011-04-13, 15:19   Link #1261
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcomax View Post
I think I might know what your talking about. Shes always in the background giving Ichika support. During the Laura arc (ep 7-8) we get introduced to this flashback were Houki reflects on being an aggressive person, dominating others through swordsmanship (I was going to say kendo but I was unsure if the mentions a specific style.) The fact that they brought this trait up and used it in to the finale raises my opinion of Houki and the show in general.
Wow, I am really surprised how you nailed this one down. This is one of the plot points that I blow wide open in my editorial, so after reading it you will probably be surprised by your post right here, so props to you

It's going to be a total (primarily Houki based) episode evaluation, that's right, 12 eps scrutinized, exceeding even Daimaou's efforts that I did around this time last year. Bring in the "over 9000" jokes, because at over 10,000 words I leave no Houki behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypocaramel View Post
Free foood!!!!!
lol I actually pointed this out in my editorial, and I know it's kinda sad for Rinny fans, but it's all Ichi ever saw her worth for

By the way, my editorial may have one (un)fortunate side affect: you guys might hate Ichi even less and actually might appreciate the guy's efforts
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 16:39   Link #1262
Marcomax

What 9000!!

Anyway, I'm starting to think the problem I'm having with I.S. is that this season feels like just the setup or half a show. They introduce the characters and important concepts of the world. Even the Silver Gospel fight while a nice way to conclude the season still feels like it was really meant to set up events which occur later in the light novel.

I'd be willing to give a second season of the show a shot if it build on what was introduced in the first season (Story and Character wise). But I'll probably wait a while to see if it's actually worth it.

With this season, I picked it up after seeing shots of episode 5 on Random curiosity, dropped it 10 minutes into the first episode, and only tried to watch it again after seeing screen shots for episode 8.
Marcomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 00:07   Link #1263
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
By the way, my editorial may have one (un)fortunate side affect: you guys might hate Ichi even less and actually might appreciate the guy's efforts
That's actually not going to be an easy task, ya know?
Out of all the winter season shows, I'm still of the opinion that Ayumu was the best lead.
Nevertheless, Ichika's clearly got the better and unrivalled harem, imho.
We'll see what your essay is truly capable of...
Old 2011-04-14, 01:43   Link #1264
Ypocaramel

Quote:
Oh, I do. "Shut up and follow me [to get some food, Houki]" speaks volumes about his ability to act ... when he actually cares and get its right (often when Houki's just being moody).

Though given that your essay at 12,000 words is demolishing my school essay, I'd bettter get cracking

Last edited by Ypocaramel; 2011-04-14 at 02:38.
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 03:00   Link #1265
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Impossible. No matter how convincing your essay maybe, you can't change facts. If you can manage such a feat, then you'd also be easily able to convince us 2+2 = 5 and the sky is purple.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Ichika is retarded
You know it's true
Old 2011-04-14, 03:02   Link #1266
Chandalen

2+2=5 for exceedingly large values of 2 IIRC

Nice rhyme there chuckle.
Chandalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 03:16   Link #1267
Dahak86
Classics never age

also nice reference to Orwell's 1984. --> 2 + 2 = 5

if lolitron can really achieve such a feat, Big Brother/the inner party/the ministry of truth, all of them, would then be nothing compared to him.
Old 2011-04-14, 03:25   Link #1268
Westlo
Lets be reality

Is vol 7 did 101k for the opening week which is a 61k improvement over last Decembers vol 6 opening week.

It's now moved from good for ln only sales to good period

I don't know why certain ppl want to act like 40k pre anime is shit, especially when they get hyped about lns on their blog that sell 23k and 11k respectively for vol 8 and 11 of those series....

Last edited by Westlo; 2011-04-14 at 06:45.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 05:31   Link #1269
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
but going to my point, I'm still curious as to why Tabane made most IS units only accessible to women...

I was hoping that issue would be answered when she and Chifuyu were talking by the cliff..

I mean what's the reason why IS are "Female only machines" ( or at least most of it.. Byakushiki is certainly not one of them..)?
call me crazy, but somehow i sincerely doubt tabane knows exactly why it only responds to women.

Spoiler for this anime...why the negative reactions?:

hoping for a second season...
Old 2011-04-14, 06:04   Link #1270
Marcomax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post

Spoiler for this anime...why the negative reactions?:

That's interesting. I can't talk to other people but I don't hate the show as a whole. Their are just aspects that poke at me and get under my skin. Some of which revolve around the harem concept. Which means I should probably try and avoid shows with a heavy harem element from now on.

Looking back at shows I've watched as an escape, I realized that I don't really watch a lot of light shows and tend to go for shows that go for pure action, pure drama or insane humour. I.S. has some of this but its ultimately pretty light which is why I'm so on the fence for it.
Old 2011-04-14, 06:27   Link #1271
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Is vol 7 did 101k for the opening week which is a 61k improvement over last Decembers vol 6 opening week.

It's now moved from good for ln only sales to good period

I don't know why certain ppl want to act like 40k pre anime us shit, especially when they get hyped about lns on their blog that sell 23k and 11k respectively for vol 8 and 11 of those series....
Yeah ... that 101k is somewhat crazy. I mean I liked IS before the anime aired, but the fact that it doubled SAO 7's sale (which has been pretty consistent for each volume for both Kawahara-series, albeit the figure I got's only for 3 days while IS is 5) makes me think the hype is kinda going over board.

If it's going to catch up to Nisio's Hanamonogatari's 143k (over 13 days) by next week I'm going to facepalm so hard, and that looks like it will happen.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 08:37   Link #1272
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
That's actually not going to be an easy task, ya know?
Out of all the winter season shows, I'm still of the opinion that Ayumu was the best lead.

I didn't mean boosting Ichika into the top 10 males of 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Impossible. No matter how convincing your essay maybe, you can't change facts. If you can manage such a feat, then you'd also be easily able to convince us 2+2 = 5 and the sky is purple.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Ichika is retarded
You know it's true

Come on guys, you know me. Cleverness is not discovered until the act is accomplished. It's never about what my words look like on the surface, but what they mean together. Let's look at my words again:

Quote:
Bolded words are key. Simply put, say for example you hate Ichi 100% After reading my editorial, you might hate him say -1%, for a total hate of 99%. But who cares because the last part is attached to it and the important one: "might appreciate the guy's efforts." Look, I didn't say you're gonna like the guy, I didn't say you're gonna love his denseness, Ichika didn't just stand around the whole 12 eps with the girls crawling to his every beck and call. He had his useful moments, but how?

Might as well read on to find out.

The editorial is live and I am officially burned out. Took almost 3 hours no thanks to my bloody wireless carrier. And I still have an important announcement to make at XDA-Developers... The hell do I get myself into...

With that out of the way though, I can now get back to Spring 2011 Anime.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 08:43   Link #1273
Ypocaramel

@ the box inside Da Box's post: I agree. I have a lot of fun while watching IS and not thinking too hard. It's a horrible show by some criteria, quite good by other criteria, but I'm not looking for groundbreaking amazing artistic achievement from everything anyways

@ mangatron: Instapaper'ed, I'll get to it in due course. The Touch Pro is a bit classic now isn't it? I have fond memories of the Tytn II/Tilt.

Last edited by Ypocaramel; 2011-04-14 at 09:25.
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 09:48   Link #1274
Marcomax

Mangatron your editorial was great and cleared up my issues with the show.

The show flows better when you consider it to be more of a romance series between Houki & Ichika. Then a competition between the four girls for Ichika's affection. I don't mind love triangles when the two girls (or guys) play off each other well. But from my perspective, the makings of a main romance are there in I.S. but then you have all these other routes which fell as if they distract from the main romance.

I dislike shipping and discussion possible shippings that can occur in a show. I prefer it when the series picks a romantic from the start and focuses the plot and story around it. I.S. does that with Houki & Ichika but it also has these distractions on the side.

I guess what I'm saying is the Houki/ Ichika main plot gets reverted to a subplot once Rin and others join the cast. Then come back into the limelight for the finale. So for a while I thought the show had forgotten love and was just focusing on harem hi-jinks.

So to conclude, I guess I.S. has a lot more to offer then I thought. I still say it's an average show but I can see why people say its an exceptional harem.
Old 2011-04-14, 10:44   Link #1275
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
If it's going to catch up to Nisio's Hanamonogatari's 143k (over 13 days) by next week I'm going to facepalm so hard, and that looks like it will happen.
I think the problem for Nisio's books are that they're twice the price of a typical LN (and for good reason!). Besides once Hana gets animated in 2017 or whatever (hurry the fuck up SHAFT) it will probably sell another 150,000 copies anyway...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 16:42   Link #1276
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Bolded words are key. Simply put, say for example you hate Ichi 100% After reading my editorial, you might hate him say -1%, for a total hate of 99%. But who cares because the last part is attached to it and the important one: "might appreciate the guy's efforts." Look, I didn't say you're gonna like the guy, I didn't say you're gonna love his denseness, Ichika didn't just stand around the whole 12 eps with the girls crawling to his every beck and call. He had his useful moments, but how?

Might as well read on to find out.

The editorial is live and I am officially burned out. Took almost 3 hours no thanks to my bloody wireless carrier. And I still have an important announcement to make at XDA-Developers... The hell do I get myself into...

With that out of the way though, I can now get back to Spring 2011 Anime.
Hmm, nope. I still hate him just as much after reading this babel tower of text (it's not even a wall anymore, unless you're talking about Berlin's).

And sorry, but I do think your Houki fanboyism is blinding you and is precisely what allows you to think this series is good. For example, you entirely overlooked Ichika's retarded (there is really no other word)'s behavior in episode 11 and focused only on his interaction with Houki (which I still find incredibly out of place and therefore downright hilarious, in a bad way). Then again, I suppose the same might be said for me and my Charlotte fanboyism so I shouldn't be one to talk. In fact, you know what? I hate Ichika even more after reading your essay, since you evidenced Char was never in Ichi's "strike zone", even though she's by far the best girl in this series. Further proof Ichika is a gigantic idiot
Old 2011-04-14, 18:55   Link #1277
Setsuna Asuka

You misspelled Laura
Old 2011-04-14, 21:02   Link #1278
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

It was established long ago that the anime made a mistake in animating that scene, so it's silly to hold a grudge against the boy for that.

And if mangatron thinks that the series is good, that's his decision, no need to be insulting about it Kanon.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-15, 02:31   Link #1279
HasuMasu
*Artist

i once told my english teacher:

"you know, i think you're giving a whole lot more thought into the meaning of these poems than the writers ever did..."

i'm just sayin'
Old 2011-04-15, 07:55   Link #1280
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
And if mangatron thinks that the series is good, that's his decision, no need to be insulting about it Kanon.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be insulting at all. Maybe I should have added a few smilies here and there...

I never said he shouldn't like the series. Only that his love for Houki is most likely the main reason he likes it so much in the first place (which is TOTALLY fine of course), and that explains why people like me who couldn't care less about Houki don't like it. In fact, the very purpose of his essay was to point out the series was about Houki x Ichika and not a harem so this should make some sense to him. He, who saw the series this way, didn't understand why there is so much backlash against IS. All I'm trying to say is that even if you try to look at the series from this angle (by the way, in my opinion, there is no "correct" angle. You're free to take this series as a harem if you wish. There is no absolute truth. Hell, I'm still convinced it's a harem despite mangatron's brilliant essay), you may still hate it.

Tags
comedy, ecchi, harem, mecha, romance, school life, sci-fi, shounen, stupid protagonist