AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-11-21, 07:06   Link #1
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Windows Keep Rebooting

So yeah, My PC has a dual OS setup, XP and 7. I'm not really sure what caused it, but now I can't get in the XP after my last use. The PC reboots itself during the Windows loading screen every time. I can't even get in with Safe Mode.

I am now on my 7 partition, but frankly I'd rather have my XP back because a lot of my usual programs won't work on 7 (32-64 bit thingy I guess). Is there a way to fix this problem? Maybe reinstalling the XP partition will solve everything, but is there a 'softer' way to do it?
Old 2012-11-21, 07:18   Link #2
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

that happened to me alot of times and everytime it was some trojan in the documents foler posing as a security progam, i had to reinstall xp then entered safe mode asap and then delete it manually, im pretty sure it wont help you but i thought i should put it out there anyway just in case
Old 2012-11-21, 07:34   Link #3
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
What applications work in XP that do not work in W7? I have not encountered any of these, ever.
Old 2012-11-21, 08:06   Link #4
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
that happened to me alot of times and everytime it was some trojan in the documents foler posing as a security progam, i had to reinstall xp then entered safe mode asap and then delete it manually, im pretty sure it wont help you but i thought i should put it out there anyway just in case
Using my 7 partition, I was able to spot a folder matching your description in the documents folder. I proceed to delete it, but when I restarted again, it's still like that.

I guess I'll have to reinstall after all.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
What applications work in XP that do not work in W7? I have not encountered any of these, ever.
Weird, I tried running them now and they indeed work fine. I could have sworn they refused to start on my 7 laptop some years ago. Oh well, I guess I can continue working for now.

Last edited by erneiz_hyde; 2012-11-21 at 08:18.
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 09:12   Link #5
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Try using malwarebytes in safe mode.

Also, there are communities (forums) online who volunteer time to help people's malware problems by looking at their hijackthis logs.

This is assuming that the constant reboot is a malware thing.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 09:15   Link #6
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
So yeah, My PC has a dual OS setup, XP and 7. I'm not really sure what caused it, but now I can't get in the XP after my last use. The PC reboots itself during the Windows loading screen every time. I can't even get in with Safe Mode.

I am now on my 7 partition, but frankly I'd rather have my XP back because a lot of my usual programs won't work on 7 (32-64 bit thingy I guess). Is there a way to fix this problem? Maybe reinstalling the XP partition will solve everything, but is there a 'softer' way to do it?
Did you encountered a lot of "blue screen" before the rebootings occur? I skipped it once and ran a "software" before restarting again. I never encountered it again and just have one reboot after that....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 09:17   Link #7
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
There are some driver installers for XP that tend to be troublesome with NT6.x+ OSes (usually because the manufacturer didn't bother creating an upgraded version of the driver), but usually it's possible to avoid problems by adjusting compatibility settings in the .exe properties.

The only software that worked well with XP but that I couldn't make work on W7 was an old but mighty useful Oxford Compendium (dictionary+thesaurus+quotations). The program was compiled in 16-bit and I had just upgraded to 64-bit. Thing is, x64 does offer emulation for 32-bit code, but Microsoft decided to simplify its OS and drop support for 16-bit (16-bit is still supported on x32, btw, but no longer on x64). I really did not feel like installing a VM on my PC and creating a 32-bit guest OS (which, in turn, could run the 16-bit OC executable), so I was eventually forced to let the poor thing collect dust on my desk.

...As for the constantly-rebooting OS, did you spot any error message during the booting process, like "file(s) not found" or "rebooting now" before it restarted?

I once had a more or less similar problem with a previous computer, a long time ago, but that was caused by the CPU not having enough thermal paste and overheating (and thus being forcefully shut down). I don't think it's what you're suffering from, though.
Old 2012-11-21, 13:03   Link #8
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
I once had a more or less similar problem with a previous computer, a long time ago, but that was caused by the CPU not having enough thermal paste and overheating (and thus being forcefully shut down). I don't think it's what you're suffering from, though.
I would rule out hardware issues, because he mentioned that he's on a Win 7 partition now, presumably on the same computer.

So either driver problems that happen with XP but not 7 somehow, some sort of missing or tampered boot.ini and other things, or malware.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 15:53   Link #9
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Doesn't the XP disc have a repair function for the boot with the recovery console?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote