AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: which do u Prefer, Manga, or ANime?
MANGA!!! 70 41.42%
ANiME!! 99 58.58%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-08-29, 15:01   Link #101
YuriEcchiGirl

My answer would've been manga a few years back, but nowadays it's definately anime all the way
Old 2011-08-29, 19:09   Link #102
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is like asking which I like more - peanut butter or jelly? They just kind of belong together.
Old 2011-08-29, 21:27   Link #103
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This is like asking which I like more - peanut butter or jelly? They just kind of belong together.
Perfectly put Although I haven't read that much manga compared to Anime, I still find it harder to choose between the two since they provide some form of entertainment for me.
Old 2011-08-29, 22:00   Link #104
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
That would be anime, why?

First, I impatient, just imagining my favorite anime is being aired in a weekly basis is already horrible for me. What more in waiting for your favorite manga to be release? Monthly?

Second, story's progress, yeah, probably the manga gets the lead here, but hey the track is faster in the anime though much of the other contents are removed.

Third, visuals, its colored and they move and it's better drawn, though not all
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 22:26   Link #105
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

An argument for manga that used to work was that manga is portable and does not need electricity. I can read it on the beach, on a train, anywhere.

However, the newer smartphones make that a little less potent since you can carry several entire anime series on a smartphone or tablet if you pack well.

Nonetheless, I enjoy both - they're just different art forms.
Old 2011-08-31, 13:07   Link #106
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... I can say I enjoy both, but personally I would have to say I enjoy the medium of manga (and light novels I guess) over anime. It's not an either/or thing for me, though. I tend to like the written format more than that of film/tv/anime is all.
Old 2011-09-01, 06:15   Link #107
YuriEcchiGirl

Quote:
I agree with that statement aswell, only I seem to prefer one more than the other currently myself
Old 2011-09-01, 20:44   Link #108
NoemiChan
Banned

Cool

Quote:

However, the newer smartphones make that a little less potent since you can carry several entire anime series on a smartphone or tablet if you pack well.
That reminds me, a whole season (13 episode) of anime can fit in a 2GB memory card, SAIGO!!!!!!
Old 2011-09-02, 12:08   Link #109
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
That reminds me, a whole season (13 episode) of anime can fit in a 2GB memory card, SAIGO!!!!!!
Of course... on a 3-inch screen I couldn't see the subtitles without wearing some gargantuan magnifiers....
Old 2011-09-03, 07:20   Link #110
Kirarakim

I enjoy both but I watch and buy more anime

Anime is just easier and cheaper to follow. Okay I know a volume of manga is cheaper than a disc of anime but a manga series is usually longer than an anime series so it cost that much more to collect.

I also no longer enjoy reading manga on the computer screen so I don't keep up with manga scanlations really anymore and I won't buy a series unless I know I like it. This isn't an issue with anime fansubs.

The one thing in manga's favor though is when I do read and fall in love with a manga I generally prefer (there have been some exceptions) the manga to the anime. I tend to like manga artwork more and I can be a purist who doesn't always like changes the anime makes. But now adays it's rare I read the manga first.
Old 2011-09-03, 08:36   Link #111
Soviet

Eh, 90% of Anime is nothing more than elaborate advertisement for the source material suffering from adaptation decay. It's an almost completely worthless medium to me.
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 02:27   Link #112
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Of course... on a 3-inch screen I couldn't see the subtitles without wearing some gargantuan magnifiers....
I meant formatted to be played in my DVD in HD.....
Old 2011-09-04, 04:58   Link #113
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Eh, 90% of Anime is nothing more than elaborate advertisement for the source material suffering from adaptation decay. It's an almost completely worthless medium to me.
Tough I think you're a bit pessimistic here, I do agree that anime is mostly promotional material for the original source, be it a manga, LN or VN. I suspect that's also why a lot of anime tend to deviate from the source as episodes go by (to the point where completely original endings come about): they're basically saying: "You want to know more? Go read the manga or whatever!"

I'm the exact opposite: to me, manga/LN/VN have no real value for me. I'm not much of a reader and unless I'm really interested in a show, will I read, much less buy the source material. In all other cases, to me, anime is my primary form of entertainment, regardless of whether it's adapted from something or not and that's probably not going to change anytime soon.
Old 2011-09-04, 07:13   Link #114
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
My situation is a bit strange, where my love of superhero comic books actually made it harder for me to transition to manga.

This is due to superhero comic books being in full-color (usually), while manga is 90% or more black-and-white (usually). Having grown entirely accustomed to full-colored comic books, I found the lack of color in most manga a significant hurdle for me.

Oddly enough, my other issue with manga (the "reversed" reading order from a western perspective) is no longer an issue. I eventually did get used to that - So much so that when I pick up one of my old DC/Marvel comics to read, I have to remind myself to not read it the manga way.

Still, the lack of color is the main hurdle for me. For me, it's a big edge that anime has over manga. That, and BGM in some cases.

All of the above being said, I'll concede that the manga is usually superior, storytelling-wise, to the anime adaptation of it. So I can definitely see where someone would prefer manga to anime.
Old 2011-10-15, 07:02   Link #115
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Manga tends to disappoint far less then anime. It's easier to set a theme in manga where as in anime even with huge budgets shows don't really get it just right. Manga also hides character aesthetic flaws far easier so you can read about really outrageous characters; which IMO is the whole point of the "anime" style.

Anyway I'm all for the "voice" beats the "looks", figuratively speaking, so I say Manga.
Old 2011-10-15, 23:30   Link #116
mecharobot

To be quite frank, most of the anime that are adapted for "advertisement" is insignificant to me. On the other hand, so is the source material. So what if some generic anime got cut in half? Why would I go and read more uninteresting material? Besides, some manga are just completely ridiculous in their lenght, to the point where you start like you're reading filler. Which of course is true in a sense once serialization takes precedence over the story.

Manga just doesn't interest me in the slightest. All anime I like are either original works or works that function better in an audiovisual medium.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 00:03   Link #117
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecharobot View Post
All anime I like are either original works or works that function better in an audiovisual medium.
I kinda agree with that. Though I won't say 'all', most anime that I like is anime with original story like the Gundam series, Macross, Gurren Lagann, etc. That's becoz adaptation anime are often inferior compared to the manga source. I don't even have to mention the adaptations which are train-wrecks or complete disaster, you can name them yourselves since there are LOTS. Still, there are some BIG exceptions (faithful adaptations) like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood that I love to death.

So, in context of Manga vs Adaptation Anime, I mostly prefer the source material.
Old 2011-10-16, 01:17   Link #118
Ermes Marana

Overall, anime. But it really depends on the show.

Azumanga Daioh - anime
School Rumble - anime
Detective Conan - anime
Full Metal Panic - anime
Monster - anime

Hunter X Hunter - equal
One Piece - equal, but I personally prefer the manga

Cross Game - manga
Tenjou Tenge - manga
Air Gear - manga
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 13:12   Link #119
Puddingman

Id have to say I like seeing the anime first, then reading the manga as a way to enhance it. Kind of like what everyone has said already: anime for color, animation, voices, etc. Manga for drawing, story, different perspective of visuals.

I haven't read a manga by itself though (not accompanied by seeing the anime).
Old 2011-10-16, 13:36   Link #120
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll almost always view both anime and manga.. but typically I'll watch the anime first and then seek out the manga or light novel sources.