Old 2003-12-19, 15:46   Link #41
LBW
I like obscure crap

Send a message via AIM to LBW
Why would they license only 3 volumes? >.>';;
LBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 20:14   Link #42
nojevo

Well when i got my hands on the scans from the hawks, they had a torrent from volume 4 and up. they didnt include the first three volumes. I guess what Xiandu said has some truth behind it, but i'm not sure.
nojevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 21:37   Link #43
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Easy you want some back-up on the matter, easy go to Darkhorse Comics website. Again the reason only 3 vol was licensed is because of the graphic content, they wanted to make sure that the manga would sell to the general public and not get chopped to pieces due to cenorship laws here in America. We all know that Berserk isn't your little brother's or sister's manga.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 13:48   Link #44
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
That's just what they've announced so far.

You honestly think that when companies like ADV list the first 3 dvds of a 6 disc release as being available, they've only licensed the first 3 dvds worth of episodes?

Of course not. In fact, they'll likely get everything as it comes out in Japan. They didn't step into this without thinking, which is why Digital Manga is doing it and not Studio Proteus, it's unflipped and unedited. It also has a "For Mature Readers" label on it so you know it's not for the kiddies.

Sorry, but it's all licensed. No excuses accepted.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 18:09   Link #45
Ookami
Kuroi Kenshin

Send a message via ICQ to Ookami
If it is really not licensed then you can tell me where i can get the latest volume in the internet, because it is already released and i cant find it.
Ookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 18:56   Link #46
Xiandu

The latest volume out right now, is vol 25 by the Hawks. i can't give you the link, but you can find it by google. Vol 26 will be released by them soon, but they are awaiting the manga to arrive, it just came out in japan on the 19th. It will be ready and able to download when they get enough time to do so. It is the holidays, so give them at least a week if not more to scan and translate it.
Old 2003-12-23, 21:11   Link #47
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
So um... which chapters/volumes did the animated series cover?
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 21:17   Link #48
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

The anime covers the 13 first volumes but much events and important characters are 'forgotten'.

The volume 26 is truly awesome but I want the chapter 231 of the volume 27 now! I die of waiting

Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 22:15   Link #49
Ookla The Mok

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
That's just what they've announced so far.

You honestly think that when companies like ADV list the first 3 dvds of a 6 disc release as being available, they've only licensed the first 3 dvds worth of episodes?

Of course not. In fact, they'll likely get everything as it comes out in Japan. They didn't step into this without thinking, which is why Digital Manga is doing it and not Studio Proteus, it's unflipped and unedited. It also has a "For Mature Readers" label on it so you know it's not for the kiddies.

Sorry, but it's all licensed. No excuses accepted.
Well, the original press release read
Quote:
With a release scheduled for fall 2003, Dark Horse and Digital Manga will present Berserk as three volumes in a non-westernized format.
http://www.absolute-0.com/the_pr/200..._3-10-2003.htm

This led many people, including me, to believe that they had licensed only the first three volumes, but optioned the rest, and if the first volumes sold well, they would exercise that option and get the rest.

The current press release (edited 4/30/2003) on the Dark Horse website doesn't have any mention of three volumes.

It's actually not TOO uncommon for long series to have only the first few numbers licensed and the rest optioned. However, any announcement usually just says it's licensed, not how much is licensed. An option and a license are basically the same; an option only means they don't have to pay until they decide to publish it. No other company can license it out from under you.

Personally I believe the Berserk option scenario. However, that doesn't mean that the rest of the books won't be licensed until after book 3 comes out. The option could be exercised at any time, with no fanfare. Maybe after the first book's sales numbers come in. Maybe after the second. It's doubtful they'd wait until the third, because when the third book's gone to press, it's logical they'd be working on the fourth book already.
Ookla The Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-24, 11:30   Link #50
Xiandu

Actually the animated series only covers vol1-12 and half of 13, the other half of 13 deals with how Gatsu is saved. Don't want to say more than that because i don't want to spoil it for anyone. Oh and yes, they do leave some important characters and details out. Dunno how they would do a second season, probally part of the reason one has not been done yet, the anime kinda ruins the story in a way since it left out so many key players. A season 2 would seem thrown together if they all of a sudden introduce characters that should have been shown from the start. I have no idea how they would do it with out making it seemed forced.

Last edited by Xiandu; 2004-01-03 at 06:50.
Old 2003-12-24, 12:18   Link #51
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
I didn't like the anime very much either. They left aside various important passages of the manga, such as the attack of the Black Dogs. And Pakk didn't even appear at the beginning (differently from the manga), he's without a doubt the funniest character in the manga.

And the manga gets much more interesting after Gats turns into the Black Swordsman. In other words, the really cool part of the manga begins just after the end of the anime IMO (even if the 1st part of the history of the Hawks was really cool).
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 19:45   Link #52
Ookami
Kuroi Kenshin

Send a message via ICQ to Ookami
Volume 26 is finally realeased by the hawks!!!
hurray
Ookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 19:56   Link #53
okashi
okashinaaa?

Damn, vol 26 rocked, finally there is something about berserk in Berserk. Too bad we have to wait another half a year for the next volume.
okashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 20:57   Link #54
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I've sure waited long enough for vol 26.

Grifis
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 23:21   Link #55
HoboGod
Necromancer

well, the first half of the new berserk volume SUCKED (excluding that woman who created her body from troll intestines ) but that berserker armor is pretty damn cool. i only wish that gatts wouldn't have to wear that damn skull helmet, now he looks too much like skull knight (fucking do gooder undead bitch pisses me off.) and speaking of skull knight, it is nice to be explained why he ate the behielit those oh so many volumes ago. when I saw him do that i was like "WTF???"
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 00:49   Link #56
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
but that berserker armor is pretty damn cool. i only wish that gatts wouldn't have to wear that damn skull helmet, now he looks too much like skull knight
Don't worry, he will not carry his helmet all the time, even if he will have somewhat... well... changed after that...

But hey, you will know what in... 5 or 6 months

Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 03:42   Link #57
The Xenos

Well, my roomates are up to date on the manga online. Meanwhile, I'm gonna take my time with the printed edition. Nothing like holding the book in youre ahnd to read. I got Vol 1 of the US version from Darkhoese for Christmas. (is there no better Christmas gift from your folks than the mutilation and gore of Berserk?)

So, I was wondering, how does the Dark Horse version compare to the fan translation. I talked with the editor at a con, and he said for all the new Dark Horse manga they'd somehow translate effcts by either footnotes on the page or in the back of the book. Sadly, none of them have any though. Other than that, I'm rather happy with it. Anyone else seen the DH version adn what do you think?

Also, my roomates told me to first watch the anime (which they loaned me and I finished on Christmas Eve, heh) before readin the manga. Anyone think that was a good idea? It seems to be working well.

-Xenos
The Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 04:38   Link #58
Xiandu

Not a bad idea to watch the anime first, because if you read the manga first, you would be pissed at the job they did with anime. Now i do love the anime but it pales in comparison to the manga in many different ways. Since the anime leaves off half-assed and it decides to leave out major key players to the storyline, it is best to read the manga and get filled in on what really happened. So yeah watching the anime and then reading the manga is the way to go.
Old 2003-12-30, 08:28   Link #59
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Man, 26 rocked da house.

The skull armor was so fu**ing cool. And Gatts slashing those trolls...

Can't wait for 27
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 17:36   Link #60
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
I thought it was interesting how the helmet morphed from a skull into that fox/dog demon that torments him.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dark fantasy, fantasy, seinen