AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-09-18, 19:43   Link #1
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

Not directly link to the election but something than might have some impact on it:
U.S. Supreme Court's Ginsburg, a liberal dynamo, championed women's rights
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN26A003
Quote:
Ginsburg, who died on Friday at age 87 of complications from pancreatic cancer, was a fierce advocate for women’s rights - winning major gender-discrimination cases before the Supreme Court - before being appointed to the top U.S. judicial body by Democratic President Bill Clinton in 1993. The diminutive dynamo became the court’s leading liberal voice.
__________________
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-18, 23:57   Link #2
Key Board
Carbon
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Roe and Wade next
and the immigration act of 1965 after that

I hope I'm wrong.
__________________
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-19, 02:11   Link #3
OH&S
Index III was a mistake
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 29
What a disaster. With McConnell being the massive hypocrite that he is, they'll rush through the confirmation of a new judge even though they denied holding a vote for Obama's nominee.

Game Over America. You lose.

Unless there are true patriots in the Republican party that deny McConnell based on principle. But hypocrisy is a defining trait of Republican senators.
__________________
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-19, 02:44   Link #4
James Rye
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germany
Mitch didn't even wait an hour after the announcement that Ginsburg died to put out an statement that the president can immediately call for a new Court Judge when they denied Obama the same right for 9 months...
__________________
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-19, 04:09   Link #5
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Iwakawa base and Chaldea
Age: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Mitch didn't even wait an hour after the announcement that Ginsburg died to put out an statement that the president can immediately call for a new Court Judge when they denied Obama the same right for 9 months...
If Putin's plan was to avenge the humiliation of Russia in the 1990s, when they were the joke and lost all kind of international standing, he is on his way to succeed.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-19, 06:10   Link #6
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Unless there are true patriots in the Republican party that deny McConnell based on principle. But hypocrisy is a defining trait of Republican senators.
There's enough that CURRENTLY say they refuse to confirm a judge before January 21st. However, you know it's probably a ploy to try to garner votes for the election. Then, if they win by hook or crook, they'll wait until the stated time to be "true to their word". If they lose, they'll vote him in immediately after the election as a final FU to America.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-19, 09:46   Link #7
ramlaen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Game Over Progressives. You lose.
ftfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Mitch didn't even wait an hour after the announcement that Ginsburg died to put out an statement that the president can immediately call for a new Court Judge when they denied Obama the same right for 9 months...
The real question will be if Democrats reverse their position on making a SCOTUS pick in an election year simply because they aren't the ones who would make the selection this time.

https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/statu...25966314864651

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
However, you know it's probably a ploy to try to garner votes for the election.
You say this as though the SCOTUS pick has not become the primary reason to vote for Joe Biden.

Last edited by ramlaen; 2020-09-19 at 09:57.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-19, 09:53   Link #8
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Everett, Washington
Age: 41
Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Mitch didn't even wait an hour after the announcement that Ginsburg died to put out an statement that the president can immediately call for a new Court Judge when they denied Obama the same right for 9 months...
He should show some respect and waited until after the elections is over to do this. Shoot we only got 44 days left until the primary election, he can wait (I hope that he get ousted in his race).

@ramlaen, it is actually Game Over for America if this happens, Roe v. Wade will be overturn, they can looking the immigration act of 1965 and that act help people like my wife to be able to come to nation will be in in jeopardy and if that happens I will follow her back to her home.
__________________

Last edited by Neki Ecko; 2020-09-19 at 10:34.
Neki Ecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-19, 11:42   Link #9
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Roe and Wade next
and the immigration act of 1965 after that

I hope I'm wrong.
I doubt it. Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, in their decisions so far, have not shown much willingness to "go with Trump" on pretty much anything, be it DACA cases, LGBT issues, or guns.

On abortion, they did show some reservations during June vs Russo, but their dissent wasn't about abortion rights broadly. On other occasions, they've refused to hear cases against Planned Parenthood.

Of course, there's a chance that they'll take their masks off and tear all these things down once the MAGA majority is in place.

My bet is that Roe vs Wade remains set in stone, though.
__________________
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-19, 11:49   Link #10
Ithekro
Gamilas Rises
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 43
In high school we found that abortion (and Roe vs. Wade) is pretty much the hardest topic to debate between the interested parties. Because they can't debate it normally. Both sides of the issue are debating two, completely separate topics, that do not cross, thus they don't debate, they talk past each other. Every time. (we had to do that for a "write a Constitution for a new country" project, where abortion into said Constitution created a debate and that went round and round in circles until the debaters were stopped as observers pointed out they were not debating, because they are not giving counter-arguments, but debating two different subjects without rebuttal.)
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-21, 07:48   Link #11
The Green One
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Man the Republicans aren't even waiting for the body to get cold before they start trying to cram their own stooge into the seat. Their excuse? "Well the Democrats would do it...."
__________________
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-21, 14:34   Link #12
ramlaen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
McConnell's speech on RBG's replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Man the Republicans aren't even waiting for the body to get cold before they start trying to cram their own stooge into the seat. Their excuse? "Well the Democrats would do it...."
Do you know how long after Scalia died that the process to replace him was started?

Last edited by ramlaen; 2020-09-21 at 15:47.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-21, 18:08   Link #13
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
McConnell's speech on RBG's replacement.

Do you know how long after Scalia died that the process to replace him was started?
Do you know that the republicans stalled the process to confirm Scalia's successor betting on the chance of having a republican president nominate someone else? Of course you know sunny boy, you bet on people not knowing to bend the truth to get some sympathy for the hypocrite mcconnell, to convince people "hey, we are the victims here, sob, sob". Pathetic.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-21, 18:56   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
"Pack the court" is gaining traction even among small-c conservative Dems. If this confirmation goes forward, where will be repercussions both electoral and otherwise.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-23, 08:45   Link #15
ramlaen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Do you know that the republicans stalled the process to confirm Scalia's successor betting on the chance of having a republican president nominate someone else? Of course you know sunny boy, you bet on people not knowing to bend the truth to get some sympathy for the hypocrite mcconnell, to convince people "hey, we are the victims here, sob, sob". Pathetic.
Since you want to change the subject instead of defending your opinion, do you know the last time a US Supreme Court justice was confirmed during an election year when the Senate and White House were held by opposing parties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
"Pack the court" is gaining traction even among small-c conservative Dems. If this confirmation goes forward, where will be repercussions both electoral and otherwise.
Democrats repeating threats they have been making long before RBG died are empty threats. But by all means give McConnell the justification to do it himself. You would think after Harry Reid's power grab blew up in Democrats faces that they would have learned their lesson...
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-23, 10:25   Link #16
James Rye
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germany
McConnell has done his move though without any of those threats being presented. Plus he is the one threatening the Dems and their voters himself by denying a sitting president to nominate a Judge and by then ignoring his own bs rule to push through a hardcore conservative judge in 6 weeks which in turn also threatens the healthcare plan of the Dems and the voters which would pretty much die without it because being poor means dying really early in America.
__________________
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-23, 15:19   Link #17
ramlaen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
McConnell has done his move though without any of those threats being presented. Plus he is the one threatening the Dems and their voters himself by denying a sitting president to nominate a Judge and by then ignoring his own bs rule to push through a hardcore conservative judge in 6 weeks which in turn also threatens the healthcare plan of the Dems and the voters which would pretty much die without it because being poor means dying really early in America.
'Pack the courts' refers to increasing the number of judges, not replacing existing judges with left or right leaning justices.

McConnell did not deny Obama his constitutionally granted power to nominated justices, McConnell used his constitutionally granted power to choose whether to approve of Obama's nomination.

This is basic civics here people.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-23, 16:11   Link #18
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
I know than many on both side don't like that show but do the point they are making is right?

Krystal Ball: SCOTUS Hysteria Is A Mass DELUSION Created By Elites
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VFuHGg5prE

__________________
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-23, 17:24   Link #19
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
'Pack the courts' refers to increasing the number of judges, not replacing existing judges with left or right leaning justices.

McConnell did not deny Obama his constitutionally granted power to nominated justices, McConnell used his constitutionally granted power to choose whether to approve of Obama's nomination.

This is basic civics here people.
That's why Mitch declared hours after Scalia's death any appointment by Obama null and void before a nominee had even been named.

Basic civics.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-23, 18:02   Link #20
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I know than many on both side don't like that show but do the point they are making is right?

Krystal Ball: SCOTUS Hysteria Is A Mass DELUSION Created By Elites
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VFuHGg5prE
On some level, she is right. Politicians may love having power, just not SO much power that they would have nobody but themselves left to blame for poor government. But in general, people that are not revolutionaries, also prefer an incompetent government to an unhinged one.
__________________
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.