AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2020-05-11, 18:40   Link #21
endarion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Among those already cited, there's AnoHana, Shigatsu wa kimi no uso, and Trigun.

The biggest mystery of the decade for me will remain Kimetsu no Yaiba's success. The anime was extremely well produced, but other than that, I found it had pretty much nothing going for it. It's the same shounen stuff you've seen tons of times before, and it didn't do anything better.
well not the anime but the kimetsu no yaiba manga surely did something better

it actualy got an ending without dragging forever
Old 2020-05-11, 22:16   Link #22
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
The biggest mystery of the decade for me will remain Kimetsu no Yaiba's success. The anime was extremely well produced, but other than that, I found it had pretty much nothing going for it. It's the same shounen stuff you've seen tons of times before, and it didn't do anything better.
Agreed. As a shounen veteran, aside from great visual, thanks to big budget (partly due to Ufotable using illegal money), Kimetsu no Yaiba actually did the world-building & character-building variably worse than past shounens like HxH, D.Gray-man, YYH, FMA, etc. Heck, even Naruto & Bleach beats it during their early arcs. KNY simply got outdone by it's predecessors aside from it being beautiful & has cute zombie-vampire imouto.

There's also the usage of the score which many times begged the audience to be emotional for certain scenes instead of accompanying a genuinely emotional scenes. So far, there is no scene from KNY that gets me as emotional as my days of watching The Big 3, Kenshin, Saint Seiya, Bt'X, or as tense as I was watching the Yorkshin arc of HxH (1999) or the Ant arc of HxH (2011), or as depressed (in a good way) as I was when watching certain events of FMA.

I also has the same general problem with Seven Deadly Sins as above.
Old 2020-05-12, 11:35   Link #23
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
The biggest mystery of the decade for me will remain Kimetsu no Yaiba's success.
Thanks for confirming that my decision to stop watching it after the first half was the right one. I grew tired of the supporting characters other than the sister.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-12, 14:10   Link #24
Johnny Dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Agreed. As a shounen veteran, aside from great visual, thanks to big budget (partly due to Ufotable using illegal money), Kimetsu no Yaiba
All I could understand from your post was this bit, I don't have the capacity nor the nerves to try to understand the rest. But this bit is really good, I wish more people would use those illegal magic money to get such magical superb results at the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Thanks for confirming that my decision to stop watching it after the first half was the right one. I grew tired of the supporting characters other than the sister.
That's perfect because you just missed some of the most bad-ass scenes ever in an anime in episode 19, you can check it's IMDB close to perfect 10 rankings. They were so awesome I actually wrote a 2 page abridged dialogue about the end scene. And I'm proud of my work, it's inspired, and it's not nearly as good as those episodes themselves 18-20.

Now that I think about your perspective, I don't love any characters from this show, it's just the whole damn thing that's great. Which is weird, because it's seldom the case.

Quote:
It's the same shounen stuff you've seen tons of times before, and it didn't do anything better.
The fight scenes are better, trust me. They're fast and most times over quickly, as they should be. I like them more than Dragon Ball's 50 episode fights, much more. It's definitely better than let's say Dragon Ball Super, no doubt. I don't know if you're also talking to me with that "you've seen" but if you do, I can say you couldn't be more wrong. I've definitely not seen before some of the shit happening here, definitely not. Or I might be forgetful, it happens.

One of the things I liked most and ORIGINAL about this show is the boar mask on Innosuke! It's not as much a mask as an entire boar head! It's just funny as shit, it looks like he has that retarded chicken from Moana on his head, something like that. Sometimes the action is intense, with his life on the line he is very serious and engaged, like "I'm gonna kill you!" and then I look at his face/mask and it's completely wrong, as those boar eyes keep moving in all directions when he changes directions himself, cracks me up! Very inspired. Love it! (Seen that before in a shounen? 'm afraid not.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dafuk is wrong with you people!?
Kimetsu no Yaiba is the best anime since One Punch Man! Subject closed.

I read youz at work this morning and I planned to open a big debate when I'll get the time for it, but now that I think about it, it's just ludicrous to start one. This anime is just awesome, even if The Hashira have some childish ways about them, they looking and sometimes acting like crazed high school drop outs (which makes zero sense for Captain-level people, right?), that's actually THE ONLY shortcoming I can see in this anime thus far! All the rest, especially the fight dynamics hitting all the high marks 10/10! It's clearly in my top 10 ever after just one season! I rarely give a 10/10 to an anime, and the only reason I don't give KnY a clear 10, just 9.5/10 is that the story line is uncomfortably incomplete yet! (Like Stargate Universe who got cancelled after just 2 seasons, exactly when it was peaking - I still want to kill all those who participated to it's death!) That being said without opening a debate, just straight to the point, clear and simple.

@: For the life of me I can't understand how someone can't get into a quality anime where the action starts straight away! KnY thus far is a typical 26 episode anime where there's no dead weight for fillers or stupid repetitions that annoy the fuck out of me like in Bleach where it takes 18 episodes to reach the main Soul Society action, or Naruto where there's 2-3 episodes at the beginning where honestly the quality is about at Calimero standards (which is like really bad = cartoons for 5 year olds bad), but most people pull through and get to the goods! What I could understand is if one would drop Bleach and Naruto for prolonging for 2 episodes like Naruto or 10 episodes like Bleach where damn Ichigo can't stop just killing those boring Hollows over and over and over and over again to the point you think he might get grand children and still do just that! But how one can't get into a high quality anime that has no dead weight whatsoever, I can't get. It's just not possible.

*Yeh, yeh he doesn't kill them, he just sends them to an afterlife that's all just talk, and no show, none! Or they might get reborn into Soul Society (I don't remember that part because every time I rewatch Bleach, I skip those annoying 1st 18 episodes) with entirely new identities, which is stupid if you ask me, it's like never existing in the 1st place - like pressing the delete button on a person -_-, but it's the only alternative the show allows. If you would get reborn without any past memory into this world, it would make more sense, why create another world in parallel with this one, to still behave so redundantly!? I don't know, whatever. (If I were Tite, I would allow some people that were worthy humans to retain their memories entering Soul Society, those born into the high families, and only those that had unworthy lives to be born into Rukon district, or whatever it's called, poor and with their identities completely lost - because they were bad people and that's their punishment. But that's just me.) My point is that Bleach has some really bad stuff in it, immersed with the awesome that most of us know and love, especially the fillers. I hate Bleach fillers almost as much as Naruto's! Naruto is GODLIKE in how bad it's fillers are, as much as I loved the main action, it made me hit the skip button when an episode was obvious that it's a filler and I never do that! I did there, those fillers are just B.A.D.! What's funny is that all the Naruto movies are just fillers, when I hear someone say: "I'm watching a Naruto movie!", I slap myself clean across the face, I just don't know what else to do!

PS: I still haven't opened a debate as I didn't get into details (story line, characters, graphics, etc.) just about more basic and obvious stuff, comparing it with quality classics like Bleach or Naruto just from the topic relevant perspective: to get into - the beginning.

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-05-12 at 16:28.
Johnny Dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-12, 16:24   Link #25
bakato

Quote:
Among those already cited, there's AnoHana, Shigatsu wa kimi no uso, and Trigun.

Does SAO's success mystify you? Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good. If by same shounen stuff you mean Naruto then I find that insulting to Naruto.

Quote:
Agreed. As a shounen veteran, aside from great visual, thanks to big budget (partly due to Ufotable using illegal money), Kimetsu no Yaiba actually did the world-building & character-building variably worse than past shounens like HxH, D.Gray-man, YYH, FMA, etc. Heck, even Naruto & Bleach beats it during their early arcs. KNY simply got outdone by it's predecessors aside from it being beautiful & has cute zombie-vampire imouto.

There's also the usage of the score which many times begged the audience to be emotional for certain scenes instead of accompanying a genuinely emotional scenes. So far, there is no scene from KNY that gets me as emotional as my days of watching The Big 3, Kenshin, Saint Seiya, Bt'X, or as tense as I was watching the Yorkshin arc of HxH (1999) or the Ant arc of HxH (2011), or as depressed (in a good way) as I was when watching certain events of FMA.
Ufotable's quality work has nothing to do with money and everything to do with passion and good scheduling. KNY got a better adaptation than it deserved. As a shounen veteran, it's depressing to see the popularity of modern shounen like KNY and BC. The lifeblood of shounen is hot-blooded passion complemented by the somber note of human relationships such that even a jaded guy in his middle years can feel something. Both series handle relationships with all the deftness of a sledgehammer.

More than the score, the cheap usage of last-minute flashbacks to evoke compassion for the monster of the week is eye-rolling.
Old 2020-05-12, 16:31   Link #26
Johnny Dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
More than the score, the cheap usage of last-minute flashbacks to evoke compassion for the monster of the week is eye-rolling.
I like it, let's not forget all monsters were human before and still retain a bit of that humanity that as psychological logic dictates, comes into play only at the dearest of times, when you're most vulnerable. And when are you more vulnerable then seconds out before expiring forever?

Some scream for their mommy - young soldiers, others, more worthy - monsters, remember a better time without shitting their pants while doing so. (I'm speaking metaphorically of course, because they couldn't give the command to the ass to shit, with the head severed from the body. ^^')

@: Not to be misunderstood, I don't feel much compassion for them in general, with few exceptions, although I am a very compassionate person, I just think it's a very normal process for the mind to search deep into one's past when faced with imminent death, thus I understand them, that's why I like it. It's all good, I don't roll my eyes, not one bit.

Coming back to originality, I haven't seen in any shounen before this kind of hindsight either. As normally when you're head is cut off, you die. Here, you still got some seconds, just enough for you to show us through your mind, the best part of you that ever was. And you can't really put it on the same level as a death-wound from other movies/anime, because the physical pain there plays a role in the memory digest, here, the monsters don't feel any physical pain so their hindsights are clear-minded, unobstructed; constructed only upon emotion alone, as much as they can muster! I like it. I do.

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-05-12 at 16:58.
Old 2020-05-12, 17:06   Link #27
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dy View Post
All I could understand from your post was this bit, I don't have the capacity nor the nerves to try to understand the rest. But this bit is really good, I wish more people would use those illegal magic money to get such magical superb results at the end!

That's perfect because you just missed some of the most bad-ass scenes ever in an anime in episode 19, you can check it's IMDB close to perfect 10 rankings. They were so awesome I actually wrote a 2 page abridged dialogue about the end scene. And I'm proud of my work, it's inspired, and it's not nearly as good as those episodes themselves 18-20.

Now that I think about your perspective, I don't love any characters from this show, it's just the whole damn thing that's great. Which is weird, because it's seldom the case.

The fight scenes are better, trust me. They're fast and most times over quickly, as they should be. I like them more than Dragon Ball's 50 episode fights, much more. It's definitely better than let's say Dragon Ball Super, no doubt. I don't know if you're also talking to me with that "you've seen" but if you do, I can say you couldn't be more wrong. I've definitely not seen before some of the shit happening here, definitely not. Or I might be forgetful, it happens.

One of the things I liked most and ORIGINAL about this show is the boar mask on Innosuke! It's not as much a mask as an entire boar head! It's just funny as shit, it looks like he has that retarded chicken from Moana on his head, something like that. Sometimes the action is intense, with his life on the line he is very serious and engaged, like "I'm gonna kill you!" and then I look at his face/mask and it's completely wrong, as those boar eyes keep moving in all directions when he changes directions himself, cracks me up! Very inspired. Love it! (Seen that before in a shounen? 'm afraid not.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read youz at work this morning and I planned to open a big debate when I'll get the time for it, but now that I think about it, it's just ludicrous to start one. This anime is just awesome, even if The Hashira have some childish ways about them, they looking and sometimes acting like crazed high school drop outs (which makes zero sense for Captain-level people, right?), that's actually THE ONLY shortcoming I can see in this anime thus far! All the rest, especially the fight dynamics hitting all the high marks 10/10! It's clearly in my top 10 ever after just one season! I rarely give a 10/10 to an anime, and the only reason I don't give KnY a clear 10, just 9.5/10 is that the story line is uncomfortably incomplete yet! (Like Stargate Universe who got cancelled after just 2 seasons, exactly when it was peaking - I still want to kill all those who participated to it's death!) That being said without opening a debate, just straight to the point, clear and simple.

@: For the life of me I can't understand how someone can't get into a quality anime where the action starts straight away! KnY thus far is a typical 26 episode anime where there's no dead weight for fillers or stupid repetitions that annoy the fuck out of me like in Bleach where it takes 18 episodes to reach the main Soul Society action, or Naruto where there's 2-3 episodes at the beginning where honestly the quality is about at Calimero standards (which is like really bad = cartoons for 5 year olds bad), but most people pull through and get to the goods! What I could understand is if one would drop Bleach and Naruto for prolonging for 2 episodes like Naruto or 10 episodes like Bleach where damn Ichigo can't stop just killing those boring Hollows over and over and over and over again to the point you think he might get grand children and still do just that! But how one can't get into a high quality anime that has no dead weight whatsoever, I can't get. It's just not possible.

*Yeh, yeh he doesn't kill them, he just sends them to an afterlife that's all just talk, and no show, none! Or they might get reborn into Soul Society (I don't remember that part because every time I rewatch Bleach, I skip those annoying 1st 18 episodes) with entirely new identities, which is stupid if you ask me, it's like never existing in the 1st place - like pressing the delete button on a person -_-, but it's the only alternative the show allows. If you would get reborn without any past memory into this world, it would make more sense, why create another world in parallel with this one, to still behave so redundantly!? I don't know, whatever. (If I were Tite, I would allow some people that were worthy humans to retain their memories entering Soul Society, those born into the high families, and only those that had unworthy lives to be born into Rukon district, or whatever it's called, poor and with their identities completely lost - because they were bad people and that's their punishment. But that's just me.) My point is that Bleach has some really bad stuff in it, immersed with the awesome that most of us know and love, especially the fillers. I hate Bleach fillers almost as much as Naruto's! Naruto is GODLIKE in how bad it's fillers are, as much as I loved the main action, it made me hit the skip button when an episode was obvious that it's a filler and I never do that! I did there, those fillers are just B.A.D.! What's funny is that all the Naruto movies are just fillers, when I hear someone say: "I'm watching a Naruto movie!", I slap myself clean across the face, I just don't know what else to do!

PS: I still haven't opened a debate as I didn't get into details (story line, characters, graphics, etc.) just about more basic and obvious stuff, comparing it with quality classics like Bleach or Naruto just from the topic relevant perspective: to get into - the beginning.
You did not need four paragraphs to say you love KNY's animation quality and compare it to Naruto and Bleach's filler arcs. Animation quality just makes it easier on the eyes. It doesn't make its story and character-building any easier on the brain. Bleach and Naruto were adapted over a decade ago with relatively more primitive animation techniques. Comparing their quality is hardly fair.

You're comparing a 26 episode adaptation with no foreseeable sequel to two of the holy trinity with hundreds of episodes? And you're criticizing them for filler?

Quote:
I like it, let's not forget all monsters were human before and still retain a bit of that humanity that as psychological logic dictates, comes into play only at the dearest of times, when you're most vulnerable. And when are you more vulnerable then seconds out before expiring forever?

Some scream for their mommy - young soldiers, others, more worthy - monsters, remember a better time without shitting their pants while doing so. (I'm speaking metaphorically of course, because they couldn't give the command to the ass to shit, with the head severed from the body. ^^')

@: Not to be misunderstood, I don't feel much compassion for them in general, with few exceptions, although I am a very compassionate person, I just think it's a very normal process for the mind to search deep into one's past when faced with imminent death, thus I understand them, that's why I like it. It's all good, I don't roll my eyes, not one bit.
The concept is solid, but the execution is just awful. Giving us their entire tragic backstory right before they die is just a cheap ploy at pity and awful writing. Good writing would've spoonfed us their story piecemeal from the moment of their first debut by letting their story bleed through dialogue and action. Unless Tanjiro has some magic power that lets him see flashbacks, his attempt at talk-no-jutsu just falls flat.
Old 2020-05-12, 17:07   Link #28
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Quote:
Does SAO's success mystify you? Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.
SAO is a pretty good anime, though. At least the first two seasons are. Alictization or what it's called unfortunately destroys the good track record. Sure, it's not a french art movie, but I don't really get why people use these snobby standards for anime anyway. I mean, SAO and all other Shounen anime are indeed intended for 12 year olds. It's called Shounen for a reason.
Old 2020-05-12, 18:01   Link #29
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Quote:
Ufotable's quality work has nothing to do with money and everything to do with passion and good scheduling.
Note that I say "partly" because Ufotable's boss swindled a large amount of money to keep the company afloat which happened more or less before or during the making of KNY. So all the support & facilities that the animators enjoyed within the company were thanks to the stolen money. I'm not blaming the animators of course. I give them the benefit of the doubt and consider them oblivious to the crime done. They did a real beautiful job animating KNY and I'm grateful for their work. I'm merely stating the fact that some illegal money is involved. That's why I put it in brackets, because that's not the focus of my comment. Just an additional info.

Also, please note that I don't dislike the popularity of KNY and it gaining spotlight within the masses. We all know that it could've happened to much worse anime. At least KNY is decent. I'm just not into it coz I've seen it done better in past shounens.
Old 2020-05-13, 00:28   Link #30
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Well, nowadays people are easily impressed by picture quality;

I listened to some people recommendation about Kimetsu no Yaiba and I hardly caught more than 'above average animation'.
The manga is decent but, after watched it, it just standard Ufotable anime series stuffs. A lot of saving-budget-still-moment relying on popular seiyuu to carry it, sometimes with one or two action scenes then the budget saved goes for one big explosion (the flaming sword moment that became trending topic) that won't happen again anytime soon.

I can see why Ufotable convinced to pick the series as the manga operate in similar manner, then again it doesn't impress me instead made me aware of the series downside (during time KnY airing, I currently watched both old and new HxH, and it really goes like what Obelisk said). At least the anime succeeded on helping the manga sales;

Its popular within general audience but not good enough to keep me stay.
In regards to topic discussion itself, I'd say there are two popular series I really can't get into.

First is Madoka Magica series. I just can't like it, personally consider it the worst of Gen Urobuchi writing.
Probably because I grew up with Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura and Magic Knight Rayearth where everyone, including side-characters and antagonists strive to be better person with main cast still consider things like homework and exam as world ending threat, all without forgetting relationship aspect and world building. The fact many series following Madoka Magica template for instant popularity doesn't make it better.

Second is SAO. Its really good that it hit all the "No" part of my 'good entertainment' checklist.
Old 2020-05-13, 03:28   Link #31
rladls2121

Attack on Titan.
I can't get into it because it seems way too serious and brutal.
Just seeing a scene like Giants eating humans, made me scared so i never bothered with it since.

I can't even watch an Anime like Fullmetal Alchemist like I did in the past when I was just a teen because now I can't get into the serious stuff anymore.

Maybe most Animes that contains more than just detailed blood and gore.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-13, 03:40   Link #32
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0cean View Post
SAO is a pretty good anime, though. At least the first two seasons are. Alictization or what it's called unfortunately destroys the good track record. Sure, it's not a french art movie, but I don't really get why people use these snobby standards for anime anyway. I mean, SAO and all other Shounen anime are indeed intended for 12 year olds. It's called Shounen for a reason.
What kind of cartoon for a 12 year old features attempted rape and sexual assault?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-13, 09:29   Link #33
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
What kind of cartoon for a 12 year old features attempted rape and sexual assault?
It aired on adult swim.
Old 2020-05-13, 14:59   Link #34
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Anime are very different from cartoons, after all. Lots of stuff Japan shows children gets a higher age rating overseas. I'd argue Evangelion contains even more wacky shit and that one's for children, too. So is Dragon Ball Z, where they beat the shit out of and kill each other. Meanwhile, Batman isn't even allowed to kill anyone.

Technically Sen to Chihiro contains imprisonment and forced labour with just a hint of prostitution and that one's for even younger children.

And didn't Goblin Slayer have an actual rape scene?
Old 2020-05-13, 15:33   Link #35
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Anime are very different from cartoons, after all. Lots of stuff Japan shows children gets a higher age rating overseas. I'd argue Evangelion contains even more wacky shit and that one's for children, too. So is Dragon Ball Z, where they beat the shit out of and kill each other. Meanwhile, Batman isn't even allowed to kill anyone.

Technically Sen to Chihiro contains imprisonment and forced labour with just a hint of prostitution and that one's for even younger children.

And didn't Goblin Slayer have an actual rape scene?
Violent fighting & act of killing have never been much of a problem for kids shows in Japan. However SAO second cour is focusing so much on incestual attraction in a fanservicey way and there's also a tentacle molestation in it done to a captive main female chara. That's certainly not something 12yo (and below) kids can watch in the living room with their families. SAO season 1 (cour 1+2) is a power fantasy masturbatory harem action show targeted more towards your more relatively hardcore otaku audience which are usually 15yo at the youngest. More on the frequency of Highschool of the Dead than something like Inuyasha. Ditto Goblin Slayer.

You really want to know what the general Japanese consider as kids anime shows? Something like Crayon Shinchan, Detective Conan, Doraemon, Gegege no Kitaro, etc. All of them are your gold standard for kids anime for 12yo and below.

Evangelion was an unusual case and I'm not sure if the original demographic was really 12yo and below at the time.
Old 2020-05-13, 15:41   Link #36
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018) considers xenophobia, racism, government incompetence, oppressive workplace life, the influence of social media, and in one memorable episode (20) indicts the Japanese educational authorities for whitewashing Japan's role in World War II. Oh, and there are a few pretty horrific one-off stories as well, like the suicidal wife who turns instead to a yokai and wreaks havoc on her enemies.

Kitarou aired on Sunday mornings at 9 am.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-13, 16:01   Link #37
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018) considers xenophobia, racism, government incompetence, oppressive workplace life, the influence of social media, and in one memorable episode (20) indicts the Japanese educational authorities for whitewashing Japan's role in World War II. Oh, and there are a few pretty horrific one-off stories as well, like the suicidal wife who turns instead to a yokai and wreaks havoc on her enemies.

Kitarou aired on Sunday mornings at 9 am.
Yup, I mentioned Kitaro & Conan precisely because they have many heady stuffs & horrific imagery in them. Like I said, violence, killing and even social commentaries (see also Shin-chan) aren't really much of a problem for Japanese kids shows as long as the execution is appropriate. SAO did not do that. It's drowning & focusing in fanservice & power fantasy harem indulgence found mostly in otaku-centric shows.
Old 2020-05-13, 21:58   Link #38
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:

...I still haven't opened a debate as I didn't get into details (story line, characters, graphics, etc.) just about more basic and obvious stuff, comparing it with quality classics like Bleach or Naruto just from the topic relevant perspective: to get into - the beginning.
I would suggest that you save your time. I don't think anyone is going to be interested in your attempt at "debate" in this thread. At least, not if you're going to be so hostile and defensive about it.

This thread was clearly opened with the intention to create a safe space for forum members to list and explain why they can't "get into" the anime that "everyone seems to love". If you're going to attack contributors for doing just that, then what's the point of this thread?

I would respectfully urge you to reconsider your tone and attitude, and curb the vitriol. You're clearly not going to agree with many of the opinions here — but that is to be expected for a topic such as this.

====================

For my part, I will never be able to "get into" Anohana. My post history on this forum would attest to that. I still feel the same way. I found the story contrived and overly sappy, and it contained all the elements I've always hated in Taiwanese soap opera, for example, along with more egregious examples in J-drama and K-drama.

The series also confirmed what I've generally thought about Mari Okada, the writer who conceived the story. She's no doubt prolific and has a good number of hits under her belt, but part of the reason for her considerable output was that, in the early days at least, she wrote from template and well-established tropes. In short, I found many of her stories trite, tiresome and predictable.

But, I accept that I'm perhaps not the target demographic for her stories, which is probably why I hate her work as much as I do. I would also add that I haven't seen her more recent works, so I cannot say if her style has changed since then.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-13, 23:57   Link #39
Johnny Dy

Quote:
You did not need four paragraphs to say you love KNY's animation quality and compare it to Naruto and Bleach's filler arcs. Animation quality just makes it easier on the eyes. It doesn't make its story and character-building any easier on the brain. Bleach and Naruto were adapted over a decade ago with relatively more primitive animation techniques. Comparing their quality is hardly fair.

You're comparing a 26 episode adaptation with no foreseeable sequel to two of the holy trinity with hundreds of episodes? And you're criticizing them for filler?
Yup. What you call hardly fair, I call hard facts.
About animation quality, I found people not wanting to watch Little Princes Sara because of it, now I'm searching for those that want to watch an anime precisely because of that. And I have an easy task. I'm sure that if you'd dissect KnY piece by piece you would find shortcomings but the fight dynamics are great, and that's what people want. Me 2. I got myself enough of story and characters developing in past anime, this one is a breath of fresh air, that's why people like it. Yes, it has some original points as I previously described, including now the lack of tiring over-layers of story line and character complications, it works for it, it almost de-fillers the anime keeping the boring stuff at bay, concentrating on the fights, which is great. Fax.
@ You needn't quote all my 4 paragraphs, it's obvious that you're quoting me, it just made 8 paragraphs, 4 of them of near complete redundancy.
Quote:
The concept is solid, but the execution is just awful. Giving us their entire tragic backstory right before they die is just a cheap ploy at pity and awful writing. Good writing would've spoonfed us their story piecemeal from the moment of their first debut by letting their story bleed through dialogue and action. Unless Tanjiro has some magic power that lets him see flashbacks, his attempt at talk-no-jutsu just falls flat.
I thought we agreed it's not the entire tragic backstory, more like the core of it.
If you're talking superficiality in approaching themes, if that's your whole argument, I don't understand how people could watch Date A Live or High School DxD cuz that shit is way more stupid than this, way less engaging, way worse fight scenes thus much more difficult to get into. And they have no fillers as much as I've seen of them, the whole god damn things are fillers compared to KnY!
Quote:
SAO is a pretty good anime, though.
I loved the 1st season and I hated how they didn't insist upon much more levels, that would have been a delight! What happened next was not of the same league.
Quote:
Note that I say "partly" because Ufotable's boss swindled a large amount of money to keep the company afloat which happened more or less before or during the making of KNY. So all the support & facilities that the animators enjoyed within the company were thanks to the stolen money. I'm not blaming the animators of course. I give them the benefit of the doubt and consider them oblivious to the crime done. They did a real beautiful job animating KNY and I'm grateful for their work. I'm merely stating the fact that some illegal money is involved. That's why I put it in brackets, because that's not the focus of my comment. Just an additional info.
When I was younger, I had this idea which was more like a gut feeling that money begat from questionable means will have questionable future, money begat from crime (blood money if you will) will encourage more crime, or at least some bad karma, but what you've just said here proves that's just kid talk. Money can be very useful and the so called blood money simply don't exist, the money is always clean and the blood si simply only on the hands of those who comited the crime, money has no sentience thus it's just a means to a purpose, no karma attached to it. This idea in a way has a danger of it's own, people might think it's ok to touch such money thus such activities. But that would be only because they're stupid, and there's enough of that to go around. There is absolutely no problem using such money, if the activities don't come packaged up with them, and you're scot free. None! With other words, job well done Ufotable mates!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
A lot of saving-budget-still-moment relying on popular seiyuu to carry it
Oh yes, they're really good. It's part of the deal to have them if you want good anime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
Attack on Titan.
I can't get into it because it seems way too serious and brutal.
Just seeing a scene like Giants eating humans, made me scared so i never bothered with it since.

I can't even watch an Anime like Fullmetal Alchemist like I did in the past when I was just a teen because now I can't get into the serious stuff anymore.

Maybe most anime that contains more than just detailed blood and gore.
You never watch horror movies do you? The decent ones, their scary factor is at least 5 of the scariest anime ever made! I didn't think that there are actual people who would consider anime scary, more like the horror category is made just to describe that an anime has some overblown degree of violence in it, but never scary. It just means you're young at heart I think, god I miss that!

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-05-14 at 00:19.
Old 2020-05-14, 04:36   Link #40
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Quote:
Something like Crayon Shinchan, Detective Conan, Doraemon, Gegege no Kitaro, etc. All of them are your gold standard for kids anime for 12yo and below.
Those shows are targeted at kids between 6 and 11 years old. 12 years and older is the demographic of your usual Shounen shows. A good indicator for the age of the target audience is the age of the protagonist. But obviously the target audience isn't narrowed down to people that are exactly as old as the protagonist. So if the protagonist is a teenager, the target audience is 12-25 year olds or so. They're not french art movies, these shows are supposed to have mass appeal. And that's exactly what SAO managed and that's exactly what shows people cite as "good" rarely manage.