AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-10-13, 20:44   Link #21
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I think someone here said I could just take Blu-rays and rip them to my HDD and then watch them on my HDD. Let's bring that back up. Is this true? I could just do that?
Old 2012-10-13, 21:35   Link #22
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Yeah. That is also where AnyDVD HD comes in.

That is a lot of money gone to a slightly less than legitimate company, to do something illegal, and is still less convenient than just downloading the stuff you want to watch.

I personally would suggest downloading the content instead of bothering to rip it.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 21:49   Link #23
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Gah. Even if I rip Blu-rays to my HDD, I'll need AnyDVD HD?
Old 2012-10-13, 22:13   Link #24
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Optical disks are the past. I haven't used my disk drive in aaages. Only to install OSes and for restore disks, and I could just put those on a memory stick instead...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 22:32   Link #25
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Okay, if I just watch Blu-rays on a Blu-ray player...how much bullshit do I gotta put up with? XD
Old 2012-10-14, 15:15   Link #26
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
1. Don't bother with BluRay (unless you like backing things up as discs or happen to feel an incredible amount of sympathy for Sony). Buy the disc to support the creators and just torrent/xdcc/etc the content. Way more convenient. Also, that way, your discs stay nice and shrink wrapped
I have to wonder how wise this could be. I mean buying something you're not going to use? I realize you want to support the industry, then why not just buy the dvd? Buying the Blu ray says you support that format does it not? You'd be contributing to the problem.

I too have thought about Blu ray and I've definitely ruled out getting a computer drive for it.
Old 2012-10-14, 15:23   Link #27
monster

One convenience with going with an OEM-made computer is that it would likely have the software for its parts. I bought an HP laptop with a Blu-ray drive in early 2009, and as long as I stick with Windows (I've switched from Vista to 7 to 8), I'm able to just freely download and install the standalone Blu-ray player from HP's website whenever I clean install a new OS.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 15:49   Link #28
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Okay, if I just watch Blu-rays on a Blu-ray player...how much bullshit do I gotta put up with? XD
Most players are region locked. You also need to make sure your TV is compliant with the HDCP bs (it should be, but if it isn't, you'll need a new TV).

Quote:
I have to wonder how wise this could be. I mean buying something you're not going to use? I realize you want to support the industry, then why not just buy the dvd? Buying the Blu ray says you support that format does it not? You'd be contributing to the problem.
There isn't a compelling reason to get the BR over the DVD or vice versa imho, you're still buying a product that you aren't going to be bothered to use. It's not like you're going to watch either. Maybe money would be better spent on figures/etc that you can put in a nice display case, but discs are still nice collectables that are very easy to store due to their small, fairly standardized boxes.

Quote:
Gah. Even if I rip Blu-rays to my HDD, I'll need AnyDVD HD?
Yup. DRM sucks, doesn't it.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 22:04   Link #29
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Is this any good?

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...anguageCode=en
Old 2012-10-15, 16:08   Link #30
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
There isn't a compelling reason to get the BR over the DVD or vice versa imho, you're still buying a product that you aren't going to be bothered to use. It's not like you're going to watch either. Maybe money would be better spent on figures/etc that you can put in a nice display case, but discs are still nice collectables that are very easy to store due to their small, fairly standardized boxes.
Well if you DO want to watch the HD version without taking up craploads of space or without downloading it, you should be able to pop in the thing you bought with your own money without all this hassle. If you really do want a disc for storage, might as well get the dvd since it's just the picture without those pesky blue bars on the box (I hate those things).