AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-21, 18:24   Link #21
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

The scene in episode 3 with the fat anime geek verbally beating down Mr. Can't Carry a Tune is one of the funniest 30 seconds I've seen in an anime in a while. Maru-chan certainly looks like she'll add a bit of spice to the show. What a cast of odd-ball characters!

The whole premise of the show certainly does remind me of HaNaYaMaTa which, in itself, is not a bad thing at all.

Forgot to say: If Maru-chan is supposed to be ugly and fat, then when why didn't the anime staff design her to be so? She's not ugly, and where I come from, probably half the teenage girls in high school would wish they were as skinny as she appears to be. Different standards, I guess.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-22, 01:36   Link #22
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 03

Definitely hafta agree that Maru-chan brings a zing to the cast as a whole. Good addition.

But at the same time I really found the discussion and watching of the Kabuki in the first half to be interesting.

Also ... the MC has kinda gotten better as time has gone on ... part of me is curious to see how things will turn out for him, how he will grow and change with whatever events or trials or challenges are thrown his way.
Old 2017-04-22, 07:41   Link #23
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Forgot to say: If Maru-chan is supposed to be ugly and fat, then when why didn't the anime staff design her to be so? She's not ugly, and where I come from, probably half the teenage girls in high school would wish they were as skinny as she appears to be. Different standards, I guess.
The staff's just following CLAMP's designs.
A better question would be why CLAMP didn't design Maru as fat and ugly.

That said, what might count as fat and ugly in Japan would only be plump and dowdy elsewhere...
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-22, 09:05   Link #24
Tenzen12

I think it's more of self-deprecation and lack of care of herself than actual ugliness or over weight. Hanamichi said she is "little ugly" and seemed to think just bit effort could be enough to change that after all.
Old 2017-04-23, 08:23   Link #25
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
The staff's just following CLAMP's designs.
A better question would be why CLAMP didn't design Maru as fat and ugly.

That said, what might count as fat and ugly in Japan would only be plump and dowdy elsewhere...
Okay then, why did CLAMP not design her to be fat and ugly?

Not being familiar with the source material, I am guessing that she thinks she is fat and ugly because others have called her fat and ugly. Of course, she might think she's fat , like many girls, because her tummy isn't tight as a drum. And she might think she's ugly because of those damn glasses she wears and is too blind to see herself in the mirror if she takes them off. But, I'm neither a girl nor a psychologist, so what goes on in the minds of teenage girls will eternally remain a mystery to me.
Old 2017-04-23, 10:53   Link #26
Tenzen12

You might not be psychologist, but I would say you got it right. It's more about how she sees herself than how she actually is.
Old 2017-05-06, 00:57   Link #27
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Ep 05

A pity this one is not getting more attention - the Kabuki performances are actually pretty good, and I think the series is doing a plenty decent job introducing contemporary viewers like myself to the art proper.
Old 2017-05-06, 01:05   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I also like the fact that we get to hear modern seiyuu try their chops at kabuki. Ohsaka Ryouta, for example, is rather good at it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-06, 07:34   Link #29
Tenzen12

Yeah as minimalistic as Kabukibu get, I am not ashamed say it's one of my most favourite anime of season (and not just because season itself is weak).

Kaoru should really have some serious talk with her stalker friend. Abusing ones authority is not cool at all...
Old 2017-05-13, 15:56   Link #30
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Having no prior exposure to kabuki, I am surprised at how much I am enjoying this show. Most of the characters are likeable and, by contrast, the few that aren't (only 2, really) are pretty detestable. The most surprising result is that I am actually liking the kabuki performances!

The two things that come foremost to my mind after watching episode 6 are:

1. The Drama Queen president of the drama club needs to be given a very severe lesson in humility. I would like to see a wholesale abandonment of the drama club by club members, like rats abandoning a sinking ship, instead of continuing to put up with her BS.

It would have amused me to no end if, when the Drama Queen went to kick Kurusu in the face, Tonbo had grabbed her ankle and held it as high as he could. Now that would have been pretty fun to watch.

2. As much as the fat anime geek verbally beating down Mr. Can't Carry a Tune made me laugh, Akutsu-mom cracked me up even more. Although I didn't really have a favorite character before, I do now. I hope we get to see lots more of her.
Old 2017-05-29, 02:26   Link #31
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Ep 08

This really is a very good series - one that definitely wears its good natured yet passionate heart on its sleeve - that deserves waaaaay more attention than it is getting. I know I may sound like a broken record here, but this really should be given more of a chance by more viewers. ^^

Theschoolfestival kabuki performance was a good one and a good method was adopted to bridge the traditional art to a contemporary audience, I thought. I am so reminded of Shakespeare adaptations!

I happen to be one of those who prefer performing Shakespeare as he wrote it in period costume and the rest, and even if contemporary settings and updatings of the dialogue are not my thing personally, I have seen how they do help to bridge the gap to the source material. What Kuro has done here is essentially the same but taking a step a bit further in bridging and shorter in content for ease of understanding the meaning.
Old 2017-06-23, 20:48   Link #32
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Ep 12 (finale)

My goodness! The kabuki performance in this last ep was ... riveting! I was glued to the screen! Absolutely fantastic. ^^

And a very good end to a heavily underated series too.
Old 2017-06-23, 23:55   Link #33
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So sadly underappreciated, this show. That finale was fantastic.
Old 2017-06-24, 12:27   Link #34
Blaat

Indeed, the final kabuki performance was fantastic but my favourite moment was probably when Kurugo forced Ebihara to perform with them, Kurogo's argument with Akutsu's agreement and Tonbo's tsukkomi was fun to watch. Although let's be honest though Riri's cuteness was definitely a factor in her getting sick.

It's shame we'll never get a sequel and the source material will never be translated due to lack of popularity. I'm quite curious what's in store for the characters, potential new first years and the identity of the instructor.
Old 2017-06-24, 18:58   Link #35
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Really enjoyable show. I liked it even more then I thought I would, and this was one of the shows I was looking forward to, so I'd say it exceeded my expectations.
Old 2017-10-03, 15:20   Link #36
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So I was browsing my options at Anime Strike and decided to give this a try. What a lovely story and such fun. I thought Kuro's adaptation of the The Three Kichisas was brilliant even if unlikely to come from the pen of a high-school student. But it was an effective way to bridge the gap to adolescents who had no appreciation for the art form. In that propagandistic effort Kabukibu reminds me of Hikaru no Go. Of course the ties between this show and Chihayafuru are obvious.

Kuro displays a depth of understanding beyond his sixteen years, but I enjoyed all of his insightful conversations with characters like Haru.

I really liked the hinted romance between Kaoru and Tonbo. I wonder if it goes anywhere in the source material. She seems the most nuanced of all the characters.

On that score, one reason I think I didn't look into this show when it aired was because I expected it, as a show about Kabuki, to have a male or mostly-male cast. I like how the manga-ka solved this "problem" and gave us Kaoru, Riri, and Maruko to leaven the cast.

I have to assume that the relatively low scores I've seen for this show at MAL (6.68) and ANN (7.27) partly derive from the subject matter. I could list the show's weak points, but frankly it's much better than those ratings would indicate.

I wondered if anyone in the cast was an actual Kabuki actor. I thought Ebihara to be the most likely choice, but his seiyuu is a normal anime voice actor. Same holds true for Hana. That might help explain why Ebihara doesn't upstage the others in the final episode, or maybe he was holding back as part of his integration back into society.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2017-10-03 at 15:31.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-03, 19:38   Link #37
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Agreed, this was an excellent series. And I think the cast was perfect in that they sounded like enthusiastic actors without much kabuki experience. But I did think Ohsaka Ryouta was especially good at that side of things.

Tags
comedy, drama, japanese arts, school life