AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-03-27, 19:59   Link #81
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
I would love a continuation someday. If this was American TV, I'd say... well, I never would have expected it to get on the air in the first place. But in Japan, I read that "Earth sciences" started trending on Twitter after the first couple of episodes, so maybe...
As of right now, there's only three manga volumes out, so I imagine there's still plenty of room for a continuation. We just need to let the mangas run for a bit so there's enough material for a second season!

With this, we've finally crossed the finish line for Koisuru Asteroid, and what a journey it's been. Every week, viewers were treated to one part slice-of-life, one part NOVA documentary on astronomy and geology, culminating in a very satisfying and plausible ending. I would easily recommend this series for what it does well, and the remainder of my thoughts are off-site.

Now for the fun part:
  • C-type asteroids are mostly made of silicates and carbon. They're the most common in the solar system, but because those materials absorb light, they're also harder to find. The M-types are made of nickle-iron and reflect light, so they're more visible, but they're also rarer. S-type asteroids lie somewhere in the middle, being made of silicates and some metals.
  • The Ishigaki Astronomy Observatory doesn't have particularly dark skies, but it's still decently dark (I'd have to drive about 50 kilometres to get equivalently dark skies).
  • Taking good night sky photos with a camera and tripod isn't terribly tricky: the key is to set the camera to focus on infinity, use a focal length of f2-f2.8, and then do a 15-second exposure. Any longer, and the stars begin forming trails.
  • The professional astronomer is absolutely right about luck playing a role in making discoveries.

Spoiler for Outcomes:
Old 2020-03-28, 04:29   Link #82
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-31, 17:44   Link #83
SamCurt

No, I haven't dropped this. I just got more busy working at home.

Should I be too surprised if no people from the camp have been able to find anything? No, since to me two nights is just... not enough for most scientific endeavours. I'm glad that Hanashima told the attendees of reporting negative results, since high schools were seldom taught about this. For Mira's group, they at least has to report "no new bodies found at [angle]," and make it well-recorded.

While I agree with Tomorin's assessment that both Mira and Ao are people who live at the moment, I do believe they need some career planning by now. They have a year to think about college, after all.

Oh, and Eve finally gets a scoop that's not about scandals... I don't know whether participating in this considers an "achievement" as Endou-sensei defined back at the beginning, but to the rest of the club, it certainly does.

I am glad they they took the opportunity to renew their promise, and the way it was handled--having them morph from children to teens, and from the campsite to the school roof--is moving.

Final thoughts: Koisuru Asteroid completely fails the reason I am into Kirara in the first place. And that's a good thing.

My reason of moving from shonen into 4koma in the mid-2000s is, pretty much, an attempt to avoid strong emotions brought from the other genre. This has been working well for me for more than a decade, and then Koisuru Asteroid threw me off balance.

I don't necessarily know why, but probably because of a few factors:
  • How the story is set up in the first episode made me interpret the story differently: rather than a comedy, I treat it as sort-of a dramedy. (Similarly, it took me 4 episodes to do the same thing in Machikado Mazoku; although I am less into the the magical girl genre at any point.) The cast went through a lot during the second half of the anime, something that confirmed my suspicions.
  • As many have mentioned here (me included), the story, setting and characterization are as realistic as it is (at least for the genre), and the fact that the characters don't act like acting archetypes also makes me perceive the show differently. For example, it'd do less for me if you switch, say, Ao, into a somewhat smarter Kaos (Comic Girls).
  • This is a time I have some major career developments (a good one I'd say), so the series's emphasis on goals, dreams, and stepping out of the comfort zone, probably hit be at the right chord.
  • Yozora.

This would come down as one of the works that are the most important to me, regardless of what others think.

Maybe it's the time for me follow the show's main theme: to step out of my comfort zone and explore this boundless world?

(OK... I understand I'm giving this series more weight than it should have been...)
SamCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-31, 19:50   Link #84
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCurt View Post
This would come down as one of the works that are the most important to me, regardless of what others think.

Maybe it's the time for me follow the show's main theme: to step out of my comfort zone and explore this boundless world?

(OK... I understand I'm giving this series more weight than it should have been...)
No no, feel free to give it all the weight you want!

And I'm glad you see the main theme as stepping out of your comfort zone and exploring the boundless world, because Mira's wrap-up speech at the end reminded me of another show with that same theme - A Place Further Than the Universe. And while I would not put this show up at that level (it's a very high bar, after all), the fact that it manages to echo that is saying something.
BBOvenGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-01, 03:50   Link #85
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 11:

I'm slowly watching the shows, don't want to run out of anime to watch during quarantine.

The two new side characters are quite interesting. Asuka passed just to get a chance to meet her idol. Also Shihou is interested in people, because she wants to be a counselor - that surprised me.

Also that guy in charge... well, at least he was nice enough to make Ao sit down on a chair. I know she's just an observer. But come on, don't torture the poor girl by making her stand while everyone else is sitting comfortably!

sensei is so kawaii in her school day years.

looking forward to next week. Maybe they discover something.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-03, 00:13   Link #86
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 12:

it's too bad they did not discover anything new. But the lessons learned are important. One day Mira and Ao could discover a new asteroid if they try hard enough. They met plenty of nice people along the way as well.

a little sad this is the final episode. Going to miss this relaxing anime. Going to continue following the story of Mira and Ao on the manga.

ok.... now I have to put a koisuru asteroid cd, along with magia and nekopara on my cdjapan shopping cart. To be ordered once covid calms down. ><
Old 2020-04-03, 09:38   Link #87
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Should I be too surprised if no people from the camp have been able to find anything? No, since to me two nights is just... not enough for most scientific endeavours. I'm glad that Hanashima told the attendees of reporting negative results, since high schools were seldom taught about this. For Mira's group, they at least has to report "no new bodies found at [angle]," and make it well-recorded.
Considering that professional astronomers don't find things on a nightly basis even with their experience and equipment, the outcome of Koisuru Asteroid is simultaneously conducive towards the story (not fulfilling their promise now means a lengthier and even more enjoyable story in the future) as well as upholding the realism the series had been so good at maintaining. With this in mind, because NEOs are always moving, "no new bodies found at [angle and time]" is more appropriate.

Quote:
While I agree with Tomorin's assessment that both Mira and Ao are people who live at the moment, I do believe they need some career planning by now. They have a year to think about college, after all.
I didn't figure out my major of choice until I was a few months into my final year of high school, and even then, it wasn't until my last month of university that I determined my career choice. Ao and Mira will find their path in a natural manner, and this will happen when it happens.

Quote:

As BBOvenGuy notes, weight in a show is something you hold, and no one can take that from you. Everyone here enjoys the show for different, but all valid, reasons.

I would, however, tend to think that the idea of stepping out of comfort zones is the moral, rather than the of Koisuru Asteroid. Manga Time Kirara series uses this moral in its other works as well (YuruCamp, Slow Start, Harukana Receive, GochiUsa, to name a few) to emphasise the importance of being open to new experiences. The theme in Koisuru Asteroid is more broadly, about the significance of (interdisciplinary) collaboration for new discoveries: exposing Mira and Ao to geology, cartography and later on, meteorology, is to stress to viewers the number of fields that are involved, even if tangentially (e.g. bad weather conditions can interfere with data collection from ground-based observatories operating in the visible spectrum) and the worth of being aware of them. For their open-mindedness and stepping out of their comfort zones (Koisuru Asteroid's moral), the girls become familiar with the other disciplines and their importance (Koisuru Asteroid's theme)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
No no, feel free to give it all the weight you want!

And I'm glad you see the main theme as stepping out of your comfort zone and exploring the boundless world, because Mira's wrap-up speech at the end reminded me of another show with that same theme - A Place Further Than the Universe. And while I would not put this show up at that level (it's a very high bar, after all), the fact that it manages to echo that is saying something.
A Place Further Than the Universe is in a class of its own, and even now, two years after its airing, I'm impressed with how they managed to do so much in so little time without ever rushing things.

Like my response above, I would say that Koisuru Asteroid and A Place Further Than the Universe share the same moral of breaking out of one's comfort zone, but not the same theme. Whereas the former's theme is the importance of multidisciplinary collaboration, A Place Further Than the Universe showed the strength of perseverance and human spirit when unified by a common goal, even if Mari and the others each had their own reasons for going to Antarctica. Of course, this mention of A Place Further Than the Universe is a bit of a motivator for me to go back and go through the series again, and Sam Curt, I realise this may be a non-Kirara series, but A Place Further Than the Universe is very much worth watching! It's got a few common elements with a Kirara series, but the scale and scope of the story is something else, and the journey is, without spoiling anything, awe-inspiring.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2020-04-03 at 12:07. Reason: Spelling
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-15, 01:09   Link #88
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

There's still hope for Asteroid Ao!

Newfound asteroid the size of a house will fly safely by Earth Wednesday
Old 2020-04-15, 03:14   Link #89
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Maybe there will be a special episode where they find one.
Old 2020-04-15, 09:45   Link #90
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Maybe there will be a special episode where they find one.
There are a total of three manga volumes, and unless I'm mistaken, the TV series only adapts the first two. Moreover, the manga is ongoing, so if things favour a continuation, we could get more than just a special episode
Old 2020-04-29, 15:07   Link #91
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Double-posting, but it looks like the asteroid 1998 OR2 will be making a fly-by later today and reach a maximum distance of 6.3 million kilometres from our planet. 1998 OR2 is to be anywhere from 1.5 to 4.2 kilometres across. It's much bigger, but also much further away than 2020 GH2, which flew by on April 15. So, that raises the question: would the story be more moving if Ao and Mira discover a larger asteroid, or a smaller one?
Old 2020-04-29, 17:22   Link #92
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Great news. Hopefully, the author knows about this.

Big or small, doesn't matter. What's important is they find one.
Old 2020-07-07, 15:00   Link #93
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

It’s a bit older, but here’s a pleasant time lapse of the night sky that accompanied the BD

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2020-08-03, 23:15   Link #94
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Not quite the Shining Star Challenge, but if you know any Girl Scouts looking for something to do this month:

Announcing the Girl Scout Great Space Challenge!
Old 2020-09-08, 07:34   Link #95
Liddo-kun
is this so?

listened to Yozora by Suzuki Minori

still good..

hoping there would be a special or a season 2!

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2020-09-08 at 07:46.
Old 2020-09-09, 11:30   Link #96
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

In asteroid-related news, a small asteroid swung by the Earth on August 18, passing within 2950 kilometres of the planet. The object, now labelled 2002 QG, is estimated to be about three to six metres across and wasn't detected until after it had flown by! Another asteroid, 2020 QL2, is set to pass by in a few days. This one's about the size of a football stadium (120 metres across), although at its closest, it'll be about 6.8 million kilometres from the planet: NASA forecasts 2020 QL1 will have no chance of impacting Earth.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2021-01-05 at 11:46.
Old 2021-01-03, 17:07   Link #97
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I can't believe it's been a year since Koisuru Asteroid began airing. It's high time to give this one a re-watch.

Quote:
Well, I personally don't put much weight on MyAnimeList (I never used that website for more than 10 times), but this series has a surprisingly low rating there; no episode ever got higher than 5.0/10.

Of course it doesn't matter to me at all, but certainly there're a few people around who doesn't like this series.
I think it did bother you, otherwise, it wouldn't be a topic of conversation. To assuage your concerns, I ended up taking a closer look, and that scale's out of 5, not 10. A glance at all of the polls for each episode shows that reception for the individual episodes were actually very positive. Of the 1543 votes, there were a total of 50 votes for 1 or 2 points; around 3.2% of votes were negative, and similarly, every poll showed the same distribution of scores. This indicates, beyond any doubt, that suggests reception to Koisuru Asteroid were considerably more positive than negative.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

With this being said, there was a considerable bit of negativity around the series for sure. Some provided a passable explanation for why, while others do not deserve consideration. The most infamous example took the form of an individual who told people not to watch Koisuru Asteroid for no given reason, received undeserved upvotes, and was thankfully deleted. Looking back, it really just feels like a very vocal minority rattling sabres for internet points. They're still up to their usual negativity, accusations and memes, but the attempts are so feeble, they merit no response.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2021-01-05 at 11:54.
Old 2021-01-25, 10:57   Link #98
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Over the past few weeks, I've been rewatching Koisuru Asteroid, and beyond the science, the anime's faithfulness to real-world locations is also apparent. I ended up using the Oculus Quest and an app called Wander to find many of the locations that Ao, Mira and the Earth Sciences club visit during the course of the series. There are indeed a large number of locations, so I've split my findings up into two posts:
Together, this location hunt mini-series took a total of 12 hours to put together, five of which were spent inside the Oculus Quest wandering around landmarks. It was a bit of a lengthy exercise, but I'm glad to have done it. One location I was particularly proud of finding is Suzuya Bakery. Until now, no one (not even in Japan) has managed to locate it, but as it turns out, the model for Suzuya is actually in Shimotsuma, a town over from Tsukuba. If one doesn't take a taxi or have their own car, this one is very out of the way, as there are no trains direct from Tsukuba to Shimotsuma.

Tags
manga_time_kirara, science