AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-12-04, 16:58   Link #21
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickketik View Post
I don't see it. Most of his stuff has lots of unnecessary elements in their design. so I can't call his style 'simple'. And yes, he reuses a lot of element's from his previous work. most artist do tho.

I already pointed that out, most of Okawara work aren't all that simple..
Yeah which is why I said that I would agree usually, except not now. His recent designs are extremely hideous. Like Nos pointed out, his older designs like X and F91 are pretty nice. But his recent library of works from the Gundam-verse are....very very meh.

Quote:
You have to keep in mind that Impulse has to make sense inside the CE storyline. Impulse is supposed to be based on Strike so of course it needs to look like Strike and Okawara has to keep that in mind while working on the designs.
I did keep that in mind. I wasn't criticizing that it looked like Strike, I was criticizing how it was a bastardization of the design. I was talking about it's complete no-detail combining gimmick as well as it's disgusting color palette.

Quote:
And it's not like Okawara can draw what ever he wants. Artists who get paid to do stuff don't always have 100% creative control, especially on such big projects like Gundam. And I've heard that Fukuda likes to get involved in all the different processes. For example, Destiny's design was supposed to be Fukuda's idea, the design was originally meant for Freedom.
I am an artist myself, so I know full well how production can get in the way of the creative process. But that is really NO EXCUSE for the quality of work you produce. Your job is to do great designs/work even if you are under control or pressure. Your job is to manage to still design great stuff even if it needs to be simple/blocky/easy to animate/easy to make models of/etc. I have to say Okawara did not manage to do that in his recent designs for the CE verse.

Also diverting the blame from Destiny to Freedom doesn't make that any better...it's still bad. Besides Fukuda is the director of the Seed series, his job is to oversee the entire production, so him giving his two cents in design/plot/characters is expected and very normal. Let's put it this way, if Okawara was doing a good job he wouldn't design ugly things, if Fukuda was doing a good job he wouldn't approve of Okawara's ugly designs. Both are at fault, but it doesn't make Okawara's sin any lighter.

Anyway...I'd be a bit upset if they devolve back to Okawara when Ebikawa (and the other guy) did such a fantastic job in 00.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 17:16   Link #22
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I have a strong feeling, until we actually see something from this show. We're gonna be bickering ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 17:47   Link #23
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

.....If you want to see some unique designs that stood the test of time. You only need to look to the Zeta mechas designed by Mamoru Nagano. I don't think you'll see their elements being reused elsewhere in the franchise. (Asides from the lineages of said mechs, of course.)

Bandai did regretted hiring Nagano later due to the technical hurdle they had to face when making his designs in transition to model kits. That is why you never see Nagano working on another Gundam title.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 17:49   Link #24
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

What was the hurdle?
Old 2010-12-04, 17:53   Link #25
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
What was the hurdle?
To mention a few....

Zeta's transformation.
Qubeley's slender form with it's big shoulder.
The O's belly.
Assimar's transformation.

It was years before they manage to iron out the chinks. See how Zeta's transformation was only perfected in it's model form in 2005.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 17:55   Link #26
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Oh, Makube, why did you say that we'll be seeing the next series in the summer? Is it a recurring element to announce a new Gundam series, and air it a few months later?
Old 2010-12-04, 18:29   Link #27
Rickketik

Quote:
I did keep that in mind. I wasn't criticizing that it looked like Strike, I was criticizing how it was a bastardization of the design. I was talking about it's complete no-detail combining gimmick as well as it's disgusting color palette.
I'm not a big fan of Impulse either, but I don't really share your opinion on this one. it's not his best work but I don't think Impulse is that bad. I liked how simple the transformation was, in fact I would have made it even shorter. what I really didn't like about the Impulse was the whole concept of 'based on Strike'. The color palette was indeed rather hideous but in my opinion that's usually the case with most Gundam.

Quote:
Also diverting the blame from Destiny to Freedom doesn't make that any better...it's still bad. Besides Fukuda is..
I'll stop here, I think we had a little misunderstanding, I was not trying to defend Okawara or his resent work My original point was Simplicity>>>(unnecessary) complexity.
Rickketik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 20:15   Link #28
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Is it a recurring element to announce a new Gundam series, and air it a few months later?
Yes.

Seed/Seed Destiny were announced in July, and aired in October.

00 was announced in June, aired in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickketik View Post
The color palette was indeed rather hideous but in my opinion that's usually the case with most Gundam.
Okawara's choice of colors for Seed Gundams is much worse than anything out there... Way too many contrasting colors that don't fit with each other, and it seems he just enjoys putting them together for the sake of making things colorful.

Calamity - Teal/Orange/Green/White/Red?
Forbidden - three different shades of puke-like green, red, black?
Abyss - White, yellow, purple, sky blue, dark grey?
Destiny - Red/Grey/Blue/Baby Blue/Dull Green/Yellow/Black/WTF?

In fashion terms, most typical wardrobes need 3 primary colors maximum. MS design should really be the same.

Last edited by brightman; 2010-12-04 at 20:31.
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 20:20   Link #29
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Yes.

Seed/Seed Destiny were announced in July, and aired in October.

00 was announced in June, aired in October.
Kick ass, seems like the wait won't be long.
Old 2010-12-04, 23:59   Link #30
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
did everyone forget about Okawara's designs for the Sunrise & TakaraTOMY's Yuusha/Brave robots series? mostly with GaoGaiGar & Baan Gaan?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 00:01   Link #31
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
did everyone forget about Okawara's designs for the Sunrise & TakaraTOMY's Yuusha/Brave robots series? mostly with GaoGaiGar & Baan Gaan?
Hush now. Let them all get their ragehate for SEED out of their system for now.
Old 2010-12-05, 00:52   Link #32
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
I loved the design for Gao Gai Gar and his variations, I also like Ban Gaan....but then his super form was disgusting....

I have to say the aesthetic used in a super-robot show is quite different from the aesthetic used in a real-robot show. I know both shows are equally impractical in real-life but in a real-robot show people expect some kind of design philosophy and realism in the design. Where as a super-robot show can be as ridiculous as it can be (lion on chest, and dolphins as shoulders) and no body would care.

I have to say that Okawara might or should stick with super-robot stuff if Extreme Gundam is any indication of his recent abilities.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 05:16   Link #33
tetsuo69

i hope its a seed series :P i didnt say much about 00 which i didnt like so it would pay off if we CE fans get a new series :P
Old 2010-12-05, 08:20   Link #34
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

i hope that Okawara used his style from Armored Trooper VOTOMS, Aura Battler Dunbine, & Heavy Metal L-gaim for this new Gundam series
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2010-12-05, 08:50   Link #35
Isegrim

The mechanical designs in L-Gaim were done by Mamoru Nagano, Okawara had nothing to do with them. It's pretty easy to see.

Also, Okawara doesn't think of himself as an artist, but as someone who creates his designs based on the ideas of the director, e.g. a craftsman. That's what he said in the booklet for the three new Votoms-OVAs.
Old 2010-12-05, 09:18   Link #36
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isegrim View Post
The mechanical designs in L-Gaim were done by Mamoru Nagano, Okawara had nothing to do with them. It's pretty easy to see.

Also, Okawara doesn't think of himself as an artist, but as someone who creates his designs based on the ideas of the director, e.g. a craftsman. That's what he said in the booklet for the three new Votoms-OVAs.
so it was Mamoru Nagano who did the L-Gaim designs? sorry my bad then , i'm must be confused with shows like Layzner & Dragonar
Old 2010-12-05, 18:06   Link #37
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
For those wondering about Okawara's posts:

Quote:
@yachitoka 守秘義務が有ります。申し訳有りませんが来年の3月迄お待ちください。ゴメンナサイ。
I'm not at liberty to talk about it. I'm sorry but you'll have to wait until March of next year. I'm terribly sorry.

Quote:
@carlosrod84 2011年3月頃楽しいNEWSが発表されます。
Exciting news will be announced in March 2011
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 18:15   Link #38
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Oh well, March isn't too far off. I can handle the wait.

I think....
Old 2010-12-05, 18:30   Link #39
LaSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo69 View Post
i hope its a seed series :P i didnt say much about 00 which i didnt like so it would pay off if we CE fans get a new series :P
It's not. CE isn't UC so haha SEED fans
LaSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 21:03   Link #40
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
It's not. CE isn't UC so haha SEED fans
There's about a 10-30% Chance that the new series would be a CE series so I wouldn't brag about it not being a CE Series.

Though my assumption would be a completely new series set on a completely new timeline, I'd still want a better conclusion to CE; whether its a new series, a movie or even a novel would suffice.