AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-12-09, 00:24   Link #241
HandofFate

Satoru is really short compared to the captain and his friend.

Also, Makoto demoted to background character status, she's barely in the past 3-5 episodes lol.
Old 2013-12-09, 05:33   Link #242
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 10

I also got massive Sakamichi no Apollon vibes when the big guy started dragging Satoru around. That was another very good episode. I didn't even mind the lack of heralds. And it took me this long to realise that Makoto's dad has the same seiyuu as Senketsu in Kill la Kill.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-09, 06:35   Link #243
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This was another episode that I found very reminiscent of Natsume Yuujinchou, this time when it focused on Natsume deepening his connections in the human world. There's no need to oversell the point here and Gingitsune doesn't, but when you're an adolescent there's simply no substitute for having friends your own age and gender - it almost doesn't matter whether you're having fun at the time (and clearly, Satoru isn't especially enjoying things like the arcade and Kinugawa's boisterous tofu shop family) because it's simply the act of spending time with those people that fills some kind of primal need in all of us, and eventually those kinds of things start to become fun after all. Kinugawa is an excellent addition - the interaction between he and Satoru is very natural (as most of the interactions in this show are).

One thing I can definitely say I like about Gingitsune is that it doesn't always feel the need to finish every emotional sentence. In conversational Japanese many sentences just sort of stop in the middle, because it's clear to the listener what the meaning is - "..." may be the most common "word" in spoken Japanese. Too many of these types of series (I'm sorry Satou Junichi, but you're guilty as charged) seem to need to hammer the emotional point home till the audience is bleeding from both ears, but Gingitsune doesn't feel the need to connect the dots - it trusts the audience to read the moment and understand the emotions behind it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-09, 11:45   Link #244
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Out of all the episodes that have focused almost exclusively on the human side, this one was the best. It was sweet to see Satoru makes his first friend. I particularly enjoyed how naturally this happened. Nothing forced or overemotional. My favorite scene, however, was Tatsuo scolding Satoru for coming back late without warning them. He's a really good person that knows how to make Satoru feel like he belongs in this family. Father of the year.
Old 2013-12-09, 11:51   Link #245
sikvod00

It would be a tragedy if they don't devote an episode to Tatsuo. He's such an awesome dad that even Gintarou has to give him a pass. I'd also like to know more about Makoto's mom and her relationship with the tsun-fox herald.

Last edited by sikvod00; 2013-12-09 at 12:13.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-09, 12:56   Link #246
deadite

How many episodes will Gingitsune have? I wonder why Nanami showed up in Satoru's debut episode?
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-09, 12:58   Link #247
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
How many episodes will Gingitsune have? I wonder why Nanami showed up in Satoru's debut episode?
As far as I know it is only 1 cour....
Old 2013-12-09, 19:54   Link #248
Dop
Mmmm....

One of the things I love about this show is that it's not just all about the heralds. While Gintaro and Haru are always there somewhere, they're not always the stars of the show. Sometimes they're just watching over people, and it's about the humans doing human things, whether it's Makoto hanging out with her friends or Satoru finding new friends as in the recent episode. It's good to see Satoru being dragged out of his shell and finding the world is a bigger place than he'd seen.

Gin has seen generations come and go, and even Haru has seen a few generations, so showing the very human relationships is a way to connect with the series.

It's a great series, that doesn't see the need to overdo things, and has struck a good balance between the human and supernatural aspects.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-09, 20:00   Link #249
Tenzen12

It indeed is nice for both elements to hav "good balance" but it needs something in-between, right now you can easily make two animes one about heralds and other about humans without actualy changing dynamics of either.
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-09, 23:03   Link #250
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
As far as I know it is only 1 cour....
Don't forget it's also based off a manga. Shame that there doesn't seem to be a lot of people interested in translating it though...
Old 2013-12-09, 23:44   Link #251
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Don't forget it's also based off a manga. Shame that there doesn't seem to be a lot of people interested in translating it though...
This.

Iirc it is even up to volume... 10 I think?

Well, perhaps the series will go the route of Natsume Yuuchinjou and have 1 cour seasons and slowly build up a fanbase.... Who knows?

So far the series has been really solid in my book, but it seems a "fly under the radar" type of series, so I've no idea if it will sell well when (if?) BD releases are made....
Old 2013-12-10, 02:17   Link #252
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Natsume was a five-figure seller from the get-go, with a big fujoshi following. I think Gingitsune will be barely into the 4 figures, sadly.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 14:24   Link #253
ookamigirl

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 14:27   Link #254
Dop
Mmmm....

Spoiler for 11:
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 15:06   Link #255
Tenzen12

This is kind episode I waited for! Gintaro and Mako have great interaction here, somehow I can tell same thing about him and Takami even though they can't even speak with each other.
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 15:44   Link #256
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Such a good series ... and next week is already the last episode! I am already beginning to miss it. Dangnabbit! I really hope there will be more seasons of this series - it is so well done....

To the ep itself, there were several things that jumped out at me. One of the unexpected surprises was the rapid-fire mass background info that was given on many of the charas in a short time showing how everyone was related to one another and/or knew each other in some way.

It also showed that the rugged gentleman who has been showing up in the OP but had not been showcased before this ep had been a shinto priest himself for some time and was also a childhood friend of Makoto's father.

We also see Makoto's aunt (the sister of Tatsuo) show up and learn that Makoto's father was the heir of a wealthy alcohol business, but gave it up to marry and become a shinto priest, even though both families were apparently against the marriage - it is not spelled out specifically who was against it (presumably the parents?) but whoever was against it then it seems that her aunt on her father's side is plenty supportive now.

Also in a completely moment for me it turns out that Makoto's aunt knows Funabashi's driver?!

All this info made me curious to go back through the series and re-watch and "read" the reactions and words of the charas to see if it would shed further light on things.

Another tidbit of info we discover is that Gin (and presumably Haru?) cannot get glimpses into the future of those who have "the sight". I wonder if this is something restricted to fox heralds or is characteristic of all heralds in general?

And speaking of Gin, the opening scene with he and Tatsuo watching a samurai drama on tv made me lol quite a bit. For some reason it was so bizarre and unexpected and yet so perfect at the same time - a little flash of genius in my opinion.

Of course we finally have the main theme of this ep, which is Makoto musing aloud regarding her future path. The scene of her taking counsel with Gin on this was absolutely beautifully done. Not much was said, but somehow it was precisely what was unsaid that leant the entire scene an unexpected poignancy that characterizes much of what is one of the best parts of Gingitsune as a whole.

No immediate answers are given, but the rest of the ep is presented to the viewer almost as a harmony off of the melody of her ponderings, a "variation on a theme", if you will.

Just really well done.

*sigh*

I wish more series could be handled so delicately and lovingly as this one has been. ^^

Last edited by Flower; 2013-12-15 at 18:49. Reason: Updated some mistaken conclusions on my part - thanks Kanon. ^^
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 16:30   Link #257
Kirarakim

Yes it is really is a shame that the series is already ending next week. It seems we just became friends and now we have to part.
Old 2013-12-15, 17:12   Link #258
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 11

Namba Mutta becomes a retired priest and everyone prepares for a ceremony, bringing in a really nice "family reunion"-like atmosphere.

And thanks to the added focus on Makoto...

...this show has become torturous...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 18:08   Link #259
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a lovely episode, which provided focus for Makoto at long last. Her series had kind of gotten hijacked by the secondary characters lately (Satoru, Hiwako, Haru,...). Her interactions with Gintaro were as sweet as ever. I bet she did tell him she would become his wife when she was a kid, but our favorite tsundere fox was too embarrassed to tell her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
It also showed that the rugged gentleman who has been showing up in the OP but had not been showcased before this ep is actually Makoto's uncle - that is, he is the brother of Makoto's mother, had been a shinto priest himself for some time and was also a childhood friend of Makoto's father.
Actually, he isn't related to Makoto's mother at all. She calls him "uncle" because she's known him her whole life. He's just Tatsuo's best friend.
Old 2013-12-15, 18:46   Link #260
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
... Actually, he isn't related to Makoto's mother at all. She calls him "uncle" because she's known him her whole life. He's just Tatsuo's best friend.
Oh really?

How did I miss that... my bad then.

Updated my previous post to correctly reflect the relationship....

Tags
fantasy, shrine maiden, slice of life