AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-07-19, 19:34   Link #61
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Man, this guy gets to work . Nice job digging into the Saimori family. Of course they were hardly subtle with their abuse so it probably wasn't a monumental challenge to dig up that information. Yeah, I don't think a kimono is going to heal up all those wounds. But certainly just day to day kindness should help quite a bit.

I do wonder about the shikigami. Honestly the list of suspects could be numerous if we add in anyone that might have a vendetta against him for turning down the marriages to their daughters . It could be the Saimori family not being happy about him digging into their affairs or specifically Kaya who is getting increasingly upset at everyone focusing on her sister. Or the Tatsuishi family who definitely want Kiyoka to give Miyo up.

I wonder what direction they'll go with the Usuba family. Could go the way of them being myth because they use their powers to keep themselves out of the spotlight. It'd be a bit dark. But they could go with the idea that Miyo's mother wasn't part of that family, but was married into the Saimori family because they believed she was. Then that might explain Miyo's lack of powers. Of course could also go with the idea that Miyo does have powers, but the Saimori's test couldn't detect it and they stupidly wasted her talents.

It is sad that Miyo is so terrified that she'll be abandoned again because of her lack of powers. Despite the fact that Kiyoka already knows and doesn't care. But until she gathers her courage to talk about it or he brings up knowing in conversation, that fear is just going to linger for a while longer.

Part of me thought it was possible Miyo's father was playing some big con. But honestly it makes more sense that he's just scum. Similarities to Koji in terms of situation. Having to marry someone he didn't love for family reasons and having to let go of the one he did care for. Difference of course is that circumstances (hopefully no foul play) led to him getting with the one he did love. Makes sense why he waited to do the supernatural test until Kaya was old enough. Since if they both had powers he might still be able to push Kaya if the test was done at the same time. Probably thought it was a jackpot that he could focus on Kaya and take any sort of excuse to treat his other daughter like trash.

Anyways, this episode was good. The date was really nice and Miyo is slowly building up some happiness. It's going to take a while for her to process "home" as being a place that isn't a prison.
Old 2023-07-20, 06:24   Link #62
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Honestly my first thought was someone was going to spin it that Miyo is using her powers to make Kiyoka fall in love with her as the only way someone like that could ever be nice to her.
Damn, I hadn't thought about that. That's totally going to happen.
Old 2023-07-20, 10:10   Link #63
zztop

Special editions of the Japanese LN Vol 8 (releasing March 2024) will have an OVA Bluray bundled together with it (preorder deadline is this Dec 11th).
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...volume/.200050

Question is if Netflix will also subtitle and release said Bluray as an extra episode, like how it released the OVA episodes for Moriarty the Patriot as part of its (region-locked) catalogue.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-20, 12:04   Link #64
HandofFate

what a gem this season. probably my #1 show right now. Love the characters, great voices, pretty art. Interested in many aspects.
I thought they would run into eachother in town, but looks like that be something in the future. The reaction of the half sister expecting a half dead Miyo, only to see her beautiful and smiling happily.
Old 2023-07-20, 22:13   Link #65
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Special editions of the Japanese LN Vol 8 (releasing March 2024) will have an OVA Bluray bundled together with it (preorder deadline is this Dec 11th).
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...volume/.200050

Question is if Netflix will also subtitle and release said Bluray as an extra episode, like how it released the OVA episodes for Moriarty the Patriot as part of its (region-locked) catalogue.
I hope Netflix licenses it and streams it .
Old 2023-07-22, 11:51   Link #66
Mazryonh

It seems that the Kadokawa Anime YouTube channel has started posting short intro videos for this series' characters. Here's the one for Kaya:

Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-24, 08:00   Link #67
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Damn, I hadn't thought about that. That's totally going to happen.
I honestly felt that was hinted at when the informant gave his last piece.

It also makes one wonder whether Miyo actually does have powers but doesn't know how to use them since those employing the more standard ones didn't know either.

Furthermore, if anything would truly trigger Kaya, that would. Anything that would suddenly make Miyo better than her after a lifetime of pampering would be catastrophic for such a self-absorbed brat.

3 was a bit of a simple episode but did things well. Give Miyo something good. Throw some tension in halfway. Give her more good but a seed of doubt. Show Kiyoka's actual feelings and why then introduce a threat to him right at the end. It isn't trailblazing but it's doing nothing wrong.
Old 2023-07-26, 10:02   Link #68
Frontier

So now Miyo remembers the marital strife with her parents over her. Sumi was desperate to get Shinichi to pay attention to and care for Miyo, but the piece of @#$% outright said he was incapable of loving her if she didn't have supernatural powers. And poor Sumi knew she wouldn't be able to protect Miyo because she knew she wasn't long for this world. I'm actually kind of surprised her parents were at least close enough to use each others' first names. Also, was Sumi insistent on something happening with Miyo getting older because she knew the Usuba family abilities unlock with maturity ?

Look at Miyo being a little more happy and assertive! Even willing to go out just to get a gift for her husband-to-be! The only thing more sweet is how concerned Kiyoka is of letting her go out without him to the point he has to give her a charm to protect her. And the look on Miyo's face when she sees how caring he is towards her is everything .

Yurie just enjoying the heck out of how in love these two are now !

Poor Koji. It's bad enough he's stuck with Kaya but his older, freewheeling and carefree, brother basically bullies him too .

I love how Kiyoka visits the Saimori's just to tell them he knows everything, doesn't care about Miyo's lack of supernatural powers, and fully intends to marry her...and they won't get a single cent from him if they don't apologize to her to her face. And he doesn't even expect them too, he's just as happy to have nothing to do with them ever again. Finally someone tells off this scummy family .

I knew something was going to happen the moment Yurie left and of course Kaya shows up and treating Miyo like she's still an ant with no chance at happiness. All that progress Miyo has made gets undone because of how much trauma she still has regarding her family and how they treat her. Thankfully Yurie showed up in time to get her out of there and make Kaya realize Miyo is still with Kiyoka, but the damage was done .

I can't wait to see Kaya's face when she realizes that handsome gentleman is her older sisters' future husband and probably hates her as much as he does her parents .

Good advice from Yurie about how much love and affection Miyo needs right now! Kiyoka didn't push too hard or didn't try to understand her circumstances, which is the most important thing .

Miyo needed a pick-me-up and having Hana come back, tell her that things turned out well for her after she left the Saimori's, and make Miyo realize how much Kiyoka cares about her was exactly what she needed .

She already figured he knew everything, but it was still a big deal for Miyo to be honest with Kiyoka and tell him the truth about her, even if it meant she would lose everything. Just as it was important for Kiyoka to tell her that he WILL marry her, and that he needs her, as the pair share a very intimate and romantic embrace. It was what both needed to hear and a big step in their relationship .

So Koji's dad is the one spying on Kiyoka, huh? Trying to figure out a way to break the couple up. And looks like he's planning to use Kaya to do it .
Old 2023-07-26, 14:02   Link #69
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
You know, I'm glad Miyo didn't end up with Koji. I guess I can't blame the boy(yes, BOY), but seeing how he is getting pushed around with no control over his life, I see that he would have been a poor, maybe even pathetic support for Miyo, given what her life has been like. Not having the courage to stand up to these forces makes him look so bad; he wouldn't be able to protect her like she needed, esp because of how fragile she was.

I'm also surprised at the nature of powers being used, and that anyone, esp(what I assume to be) the head of a powerful supernatural family, would indirectly-directly attack the commander of the supernatural force. They haven't really delved into how powers work, and I wonder if its more like Shin Sekai Yori than traditional powers and such. Kiyoka showed some elemental stuff the 2nd/3rd ep, but Tatsuishi's origami cranes(and being invisible), and also Koji's brother zipping Koji's lips could be any number of things.

Then there's the fact that its not traceable, since powers doesn't seem limited to a small niche(like say Boku Hero powers). Pretty bold move from Tatsuishi nonetheless; it does make me wonder what his ultimate goal is.

Quote:
So now Miyo remembers the marital strife with her parents over her. Sumi was desperate to get Shinichi to pay attention to and care for Miyo, but the piece of @#$% outright said he was incapable of loving her if she didn't have supernatural powers. And poor Sumi knew she wouldn't be able to protect Miyo because she knew she wasn't long for this world. I'm actually kind of surprised her parents were at least close enough to use each others' first names. Also, was Sumi insistent on something happening with Miyo getting older because she knew the Usuba family abilities unlock with maturity ?
Guess what everyone surmised was true; Shinichi was a scumbag through and through. I was giving the man a shred of doubt because the terms which he gave Miyo to Kiyoka after initially promising to give her to the other patriarch weren't clear, and thought it might be a hidden motive. But I guess he really did anticipate Kiyoka would discard her, and still fulfill the contract with Tatsuishi.

That being said, it still doesn't fully make sense, as Shinichi already promised Miyo to someone, so there was absolutely no need to try this kind of trickery. Even being directly involved, there seems to be little Kiyoka will do in this situation, so I can't imagine him doing much else if it involved two families unaffiliated with him. Initially I thought Shinichi HAD to do this in order to somehow absolve himself or his family from getting into trouble, but that isn't the case, since he was investigated anyway. And he doesn't seem spiteful, like Kaya, so I don't think he'd do that just to make Miyo suffer. The whole circumstance just seems unusual.

Quote:
I knew something was going to happen the moment Yurie left and of course Kaya shows up and treating Miyo like she's still an ant with no chance at happiness. All that progress Miyo has made gets undone because of how much trauma she still has regarding her family and how they treat her. Thankfully Yurie showed up in time to get her out of there and make Kaya realize Miyo is still with Kiyoka, but the damage was done .
Yep, the tried-and-true "leave (f)MC alone so bullies can 'randomly' pop up and bully them" trope. It was annoying to see, but most of us saw this coming since last episode, when Kaya and Koji were set to go out. It just didn't happen in the episode we expected it to (well, until this point ).

Quote:
Miyo needed a pick-me-up and having Hana come back, tell her that things turned out well for her after she left the Saimori's, and make Miyo realize how much Kiyoka cares about her was exactly what she needed .
I will admit, I got a little misty-eyed here. Sometimes when the drama is excessive, I kinda because its overdramatized to the point of comedy. This moment though was actually endearing for me. I could feel the relief knowing that someone who was important to you and was forcefully stripped from your life, enters it once again, and using that person(Hana) to reassure that you are also important to them and the people around you was a heartwarming moment. Probably the strongest point of the show thus far.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-26, 18:06   Link #70
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Kiyoka is very thoughtful, reuniting Miyo with Hana. This is exactly the pick-me-up she needed after her encounter with her awful sister. She should be free from her worries now that everything's out in the open. One of the reason she couldn't say anything back to Kaya was that she's been thinking all this time Kiyoka would eventually get rid of her after learning the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
That being said, it still doesn't fully make sense, as Shinichi already promised Miyo to someone, so there was absolutely no need to try this kind of trickery. Even being directly involved, there seems to be little Kiyoka will do in this situation, so I can't imagine him doing much else if it involved two families unaffiliated with him. Initially I thought Shinichi HAD to do this in order to somehow absolve himself or his family from getting into trouble, but that isn't the case, since he was investigated anyway. And he doesn't seem spiteful, like Kaya, so I don't think he'd do that just to make Miyo suffer. The whole circumstance just seems unusual.
It's a bit weird, but I'm guessing Kiyoka had a "the family of the woman I will marry will receive a ridiculous amount of money" notice sent everywhere, and it's part of the reason he went through so many candidates. Shinichi probably figured it couldn't hurt to send Miyo there.

I'm thinking Shinichi is so greedy he's going to make the family go through with the apology, but Kiyoka asked for a sincere apology, and we all know that's never going to happen because none of those three feel any remorse for treating Miyo like crap. I'm hoping when it comes to this point he'll ask them all to dogeza in front of Miyo to humiliate them. We'll see if greed or pride will be stronger.

Right now though I'm worried about what Kouji's father has planned to take Miyo back. The title of the show is "My happy marriage" but she isn't married yet, so she could still go through plenty of painful experiences. But I'm hoping she'll be able to get through this on her own, like maybe by standing up to Kaya since she's apparently a key part of the plan.
Old 2023-07-26, 19:15   Link #71
grecefar

from hana until the end of the chapter I was cheering like fangirl, it was so good.

thing are looking good for miyo now, there is going to be some drama but I'm positive that everything will end well.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-26, 19:28   Link #72
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I guess it confirms that the father really was just trash. Plus just fairly incompetent at the same time. They must have really bought into Kiyoka's reputation to think that he both wouldn't look into Miyo's situation or care about what had happened to her. Because clearly they never thought to hide their abuse.

I love that Kiyoka just went straight to them. He did his due diligence, made his choice regarding Miyo, and then made his move. Fair enough from someone that has that kind of authority and personality. Wouldn't be where he is if he wasn't decisive.

Must have been a painful death for Miyo's mother. Knowing that as soon as she died she'd no longer be able to protect Miyo and that her life would become pretty terrible.

At least Miyo has legit support. She'll have to build herself back up and gain confidence as she goes. But right now she's got people in her corner that are both willing to support her and able to. Obviously Koji wasn't a bad guy and did honestly care. But he didn't have the ability to save Miyo. I mean geeze, Yurie was more helpful there!

Going for Hana was legitimately a good move. If there's someone that was in a position to get through to Miyo it was her. It probably was an emotional release to know that Hana was doing ok after what happened. Plus she needed someone she felt comfortable confiding in about her insecurities.

Episode ended great. A lot of progress was made and Miyo looks ready to take some steps forward. Seems like Koji's father decided to spy from further out this time to avoid losing more of his shikigami . He can plot around all that he wants. But if he pushes his luck then you can bet Kiyoka won't be as polite as he was with Miyo's family.

Does make sense why Koji and Miyo got along though. Seems like both are the ones without power within their family and treated like they are less valuable as a result. Koji obviously wasn't raised like a slave. But getting married off to Kaya shows that to his family, being available to marry off was his only perceived value.
Old 2023-07-26, 20:36   Link #73
HandofFate

damn, think Kaya is the closest embodiment of an actual villainess you can get that's usually in isekai stories.
Round 1 goes to her to making Miyo feel useless again. Hoping Miyo will win the next round when Miyo tries to bully her again, and Kiyoka shows up behind her and asks what the hell is she doing to his wife.

Surprised her 'secret' that she has no abilities was concluded really fast. She spent her whole life like she was thrown away because she had no abilities, expected that kind of conditioning to last a bit longer. The maid is always so kind and gentle, I want to see her angry face for once in the future when someone dares to harm or shame Miyo.
Old 2023-07-26, 23:19   Link #74
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
You know, I'm glad Miyo didn't end up with Koji. I guess I can't blame the boy(yes, BOY), but seeing how he is getting pushed around with no control over his life, I see that he would have been a poor, maybe even pathetic support for Miyo, given what her life has been like. Not having the courage to stand up to these forces makes him look so bad; he wouldn't be able to protect her like she needed, esp because of how fragile she was.
Yeah, Koji was basically useless here. He had ample opportunity to try and dial Kaya back but he made barely any effort to do so despite seeing what Kaya was doing to Miyo.

Not to mention I wouldn't trust Miyo with his family. His father only wants her for her bloodline and his brother seems suspicious.
Quote:
I'm also surprised at the nature of powers being used, and that anyone, esp(what I assume to be) the head of a powerful supernatural family, would indirectly-directly attack the commander of the supernatural force. They haven't really delved into how powers work, and I wonder if its more like Shin Sekai Yori than traditional powers and such. Kiyoka showed some elemental stuff the 2nd/3rd ep, but Tatsuishi's origami cranes(and being invisible), and also Koji's brother zipping Koji's lips could be any number of things.
I wouldn't be surprised if that charm Kiyoka gave Miyo is actually enchanted because he was very insistent she always take it with her whenever she goes out.
Quote:
Guess what everyone surmised was true; Shinichi was a scumbag through and through. I was giving the man a shred of doubt because the terms which he gave Miyo to Kiyoka after initially promising to give her to the other patriarch weren't clear, and thought it might be a hidden motive. But I guess he really did anticipate Kiyoka would discard her, and still fulfill the contract with Tatsuishi.
He straight up said in the flashback/dream that the only way he could love Miyo is if they were a mediocre family where her lack of powers wasn't relevant, meaning he probably never loved her.

Which just makes it all the more satisfying when someone who actually does finally tells him off.
Quote:
It's a bit weird, but I'm guessing Kiyoka had a "the family of the woman I will marry will receive a ridiculous amount of money" notice sent everywhere, and it's part of the reason he went through so many candidates. Shinichi probably figured it couldn't hurt to send Miyo there.

I'm thinking Shinichi is so greedy he's going to make the family go through with the apology, but Kiyoka asked for a sincere apology, and we all know that's never going to happen because none of those three feel any remorse for treating Miyo like crap. I'm hoping when it comes to this point he'll ask them all to dogeza in front of Miyo to humiliate them. We'll see if greed or pride will be stronger.
Yeah, the leverage Kiyoka had over them is the bridal money which is what they care about.
Quote:
Right now though I'm worried about what Kouji's father has planned to take Miyo back. The title of the show is "My happy marriage" but she isn't married yet, so she could still go through plenty of painful experiences. But I'm hoping she'll be able to get through this on her own, like maybe by standing up to Kaya since she's apparently a key part of the plan.
Either he plans to have Kaya bully Miyo some more or seduce Kiyoka. Neither will probably end well.
Old 2023-07-29, 14:52   Link #75
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if that charm Kiyoka gave Miyo is actually enchanted because he was very insistent she always take it with her whenever she goes out.
I'm surprised they made such a big deal out of the charm and have ignored it ever since. I wondered if it was a charm that could let Kiyouka track Miyo's movements, or if it was a protective charm? In any event, its powers and relevance have yet to be revealed.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-02, 10:02   Link #76
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I'd be guessing protective charm. If Kiyoka has already been attacked, he knows it's because of someone despising the fact he wants to marry Miyo. He just doesn't know who yet.

The episode served a purpose but...being able to call the trigger for it all was annoying. Why leave Miyo alone on the street like that. Isn't that exactly what Kiyoka didn't want to happen? I don't see why Yurie would enable Kaya being able to literally go to town on Miyo since I'd imagine he'd have given some instruction to Yurie. There was an eventual payoff but this could have turned out so much worse.

And the manipulators are about to be manipulated. Kaya getting burnt would be well overdue.
Old 2023-08-02, 10:03   Link #77
Frontier

Nothing beats showing off your wifes' new kimono! It's cute watching Kiyoka be kind of awkward as the only guy there, especially when the old shipping ladies just bask in the romance between him and Miyo .

Tatsuashi knows exactly what to say to get Kaya incensed and ready to screw over her sister by any means possible. I get the sense Kaya's mother put the idea into her head that she absolutely HAS to be better than or superior to Miyo under any circumstance, which Kaya internalized as meaning Miyo can never be happier than her or achieve something she can't. And she'll do anything to make sure she has Kiyoka to herself .

Nice of Miyo to invite Godo to their dinner party, especially so he can keep needling Kiyoka about their relationship. But when you see the way Kiyoka looks when he sees Miyo all dolled up, you can't help but enjoy watching these two together. Even if you end up feeling like a third wheel. Also way to flirt with another mans' future wife only to have her tell you point-blank she prefers her hubby .

Miyo has another nightmare? Kiyoka detected some supernatural energy, so it seems like it's more than just Miyo's emotional trauma. Is someone intentionally forcing her to have nightmares or is it her own powers acting up ?

Delivering lunch to your man? super sweet. But dang it Miyo, if only you hadn't forgotten the amulet. I'm guessing it has some kind of protective charm or way for Kiyoka to track her whereabouts .

I guess it wouldn't be an classic Shojo story if the female lead wasn't kidnapped at some point. They're basically going to bully her into reneging her engagement to Kiyoka so she can marry into Koji's family. But I think they vastly underestimated how far Kiyoka is willing to go for Miyo .

Koji finally steps up, even knowing that he might get Miyo out of the deal he can't abide by what his family is doing to her or has been doing taking a blind eye to the abuse she dealt with for their own purposes...not that he's powerful enough to stand up to his father. It seems like telekinesis is their family bloodline ability ?

I didn't know what to make of Koji's brother, but he did free him and push Koji to do what he needed to do, so he doesn't seem like a bad guy deep down .

I thought Koji was going to rush in solo to try to save Miyo, but he made the right call telling Kiyoka. Miyo's kidnappers are in for a world of hurt .
Old 2023-08-02, 17:04   Link #78
grecefar

I mean, how petty, stupid and evil you have to be just to hate someone like that just because, stepmother and kaya are just too cartoonish evil.

at least koji is fighting back after he dropped the ball when they met in previous chapter, it was a good move to go directly to kudo.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-02, 17:56   Link #79
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Kaya is so easily manipulated and completely delusional. Even if she did manage to get Miyo to cancel the engagement, Kiyoka would never want Kaya since she is pretty much everything he despises. Of course, Tatsuishi oji-san knows that and is just using the dumbass because there's no one better to bully Miyo. It's pretty funny and appropriate how no matter what happens, Kaya will end up being the loser.

I'm really hoping Miyo's love for Kiyoka and the confidence she has gained will manage to make her hold on until help arrives. Even better if she tells off Kaya.

I have a lot more respect for Koji now. It was actually a very good deal for him: he'd be rid of the awful Kaya and get to be with his sweetheart Miyo. He had everything to gain and nothing to lose. Yet, he put Miyo's own wishes and welfare first and stood up to his father for the first time in his life. Even asked Kiyoka for help.
Old 2023-08-02, 19:20   Link #80
Frontier

Quote:
Kaya is so easily manipulated and completely delusional. Even if she did manage to get Miyo to cancel the engagement, Kiyoka would never want Kaya since she is pretty much everything he despises. Of course, Tatsuishi oji-san knows that and is just using the dumbass because there's no one better to bully Miyo. It's pretty funny and appropriate how no matter what happens, Kaya will end up being the loser.

I'm really hoping Miyo's love for Kiyoka and the confidence she has gained will manage to make her hold on until help arrives. Even better if she tells off Kaya.

I have a lot more respect for Koji now. It was actually a very good deal for him: he'd be rid of the awful Kaya and get to be with his sweetheart Miyo. He had everything to gain and nothing to lose. Yet, he put Miyo's own wishes and welfare first and stood up to his father for the first time in his life. Even asked Kiyoka for help.
I'm also expecting Kaya being involved will end up screwing over the Saimori's if Kiyoka ends up reigning fire all over the Tatsuishi's to the point where Kaya is caught in the crossfire or she can't be engaged to them any more and loses face.