Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-24, 00:51   Link #2201
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
WTH is wrong with Saki now? She's always like in some sort of depressed or unemotionally unstable state. Makes me want to slap her....
She just has no incentive to win the individual prefectural tournament. Since she's already heading to Tokyo as winners of the team tournament, there's no need for her to win the individual tournament.

Second, she knows only three people can go so if she takes a spot, that's a spot another of her teammates can't compete for. As soon as she heard that, you could literally see her withdrawing emotionally.

At the heart of things, Saki likes playing strong people but she likes playing for fun. She likes to avoid attention. Unless there are strong motives (i.e. going to Tokyo, not letting down her team), she just tries not to stand out. We marvel at the skill to go +/- 0 repeatedly but until Hisa pointed it out, no one on the Kiyosumi team even noticed. I bet most people just pay attention to the extremes - the winners and losers - so Saki avoids attention that way.

Also, if Saki had done +/- 0 here, she wouldn't have made it to the finals. I think the lowest score was around +50.
Old 2009-08-24, 05:31   Link #2202
night_sentinel

Wow... I'm beginning to wonder if you guys count the seconds to when the episode will air?

Spoiler for ep 21:

Last edited by night_sentinel; 2009-08-24 at 05:40. Reason: bold lettering
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 06:26   Link #2203
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Spoiler for 21:
Spoiler for 21:

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 08:40   Link #2204
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
Spoiler for 21:
To clarify this: After you call riichi, you are forced to discard the tile you draw, i.e. you are no longer allowed to change the tiles in your hand and must wait to draw a winner or ron a winner.

So Touka had to discard that tile anyway.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 11:25   Link #2205
aulzon

Spoiler for Rankings at the end:

Can anyone verify the top 20? It be interesting to know.
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 11:28   Link #2206
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

You can find SP's ranking in post 2172
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 11:30   Link #2207
aulzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
You can find SP's ranking in post 2172
Ah thanks
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 12:48   Link #2208
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Since this anime is almost done, it's time i asked this question (i'm holding off until there's only 1 episode left to speedrun it if it's any good).

Is this series any good? I liked hikaru no go and shion no ou...but an anime about mah jong? I don't know ANYTHING about mah jong, and i can't possibly imagine how this anime would be fun or as "dramatic/epic" as hikaru no go...

So am i right or wrong. Is it worth spending my time to watch this series?
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 13:07   Link #2209
cynicalicious
I like pie.

It might be easier to enjoy if you *don't* know anything about mahjong.

The more you know, the more hax you realize it is. It truly makes a statistician weep.

This is purely a fantasy show about hax mahjong. If you can't get over that, then don't bother. The characters are well-done for the most part, though, so it makes it more entertaining. Honestly, the episodes not totally about mahjong are sometimes better than the ones about it.

But if you watch it, you're going to have to learn how the game works, because otherwise you won't know what the hell is going on. That's the double-edged sword.
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 13:16   Link #2210
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulzon View Post
Ah thanks
And here's a cleaned up (no nicknames) version of that if you'd like:

1. Yuuki Kataoka
2. Mihoko Fukuji
3. Yumi Kajiki
4. Hajime Kunihiro
5. Nodoka Haramura
6. Tomoki Sawamura
7. Hisa Takei
8. Jun Inoue
9. Momoko Touyoko
10. Kana Ikeda
11. Miharu Yoshitome
12. ???
13. ???
14. ???
15. ???
16. Sumiyo Fukabori
17. ???
18. ???
19. ???
20. Satomi Kanbara
21. ???
22. Seika Bundou
23. ???
24. Saki Miyanagi
25. ???
26. Tanaka Mai?
27. ???
28. ???
29. ???
30. ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
So am i right or wrong. Is it worth spending my time to watch this series?
1. Watch first two episodes.
2. Decide if you liked them.
3. ?????
4. PROFIT

One could say it gets better when the prefectural qualifiers start, but I'd say the first episodes are an accurate sampler of the show.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 13:20   Link #2211
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
The more you know, the more hax you realize it is. It truly makes a statistician weep.
Not really, or rather, not necessarily. I know about mahjong and I can still enjoy Saki despite, and moreover, because of the hax. Knowing mahjong can actually enhance your viewing experience. Look at me! Personally I've enjoyed every single episode of it, Mahjong or not, and I consider it to be one of the best 'guilty pleasure' type series I've ever seen.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 13:28   Link #2212
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Knowing mahjong can actually enhance your viewing experience.
I would strongly agree with this.

Also, the only character with real "Hax" are Saki and Koromo (and assumedly Teru), the ones with powers based on blatant luck. Rinshan kaihou (Tsumo after a kong) and haitei raoyue (Bottom of the sea) are luck-based yaku that are impossible to get reliably. But that's why they're called monsters. All the *other* characters have pretty reasonable powers.

Mihoko has the interesting visual metaphor of her Chaos Eye, but basically, her power is just that she's really good at reading discards. Hisa is just good at psychology and knows how to through off people's calculations by taking unexpected waits. Nodoka is really good at calculating probability. Momoko is just really good at not drawing attention to herself, something that's easy to do with psychology and knowledge of visual cues. Yuuki's "taco power" is basically just being able to focus well after a pre-competition ritual, something quite valid in sports, and losing that focus quickly due to being hyperactive. And having a ridiculously fast metabolism that requires an extreme supply of calories. Ok, Jun's "flow" is a bit hard to explain, but besides the "monster" characters it's all rather reasonable stuff.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 13:39   Link #2213
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalicious View Post
But if you watch it, you're going to have to learn how the game works, because otherwise you won't know what the hell is going on. That's the double-edged sword.
I started this show with no mahjong knowledge at all, and thanks to the show i've picked up quite a bit. So keeping that in mind, anyone can watch this show if they don't know mahjong. It's easy to tell when someone is winning, or when the game's not going their way by the music and dialogue, so knowledge on the game isn't actually needed to enjoy this show.
Old 2009-08-24, 15:18   Link #2214
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
WTH is wrong with Saki now? She's always like in some sort of depressed or unemotionally unstable state. Makes me want to slap her....
Assuming the scores for the first day (probably the case, or Yuuki's lead won't allow her to be eliminated with just one bad game or two...) don't carry over to the second one, it's probably better to take it easy on the first day. Saki did well enough to pass - that's enough.

Of course, that's probably not the real reason she didn't try very hard.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 17:08   Link #2215
cynicalicious
I like pie.

I realized that my post came off a little harsh. I enjoy the series, but I keep in mind it's fantasy mahjong. I just enjoy the characters.

Hisa is my favorite, because she doesn't really have a special ability, other than an agile mind and a knack for messing with people's heads. I'll admit to *sometimes* picking bad waits, too, because whenever I go for what looks like an obvious wait, 2-3 other people/CPUs are also camping those tiles, or just sitting on them. (Always seems to happen that way. Grr.)

The main reason I got into the game was because a while back, my Japanese teacher suggested that I pick up mahjong or Go, and I can't stand Go.
cynicalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 20:31   Link #2216
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

@ all the people who have replied back to me:

Thank you for all the advice/thoughts. I really appreciate it, thanks! I think i'll take a look into this series after maybe 1 or 2 more episodes are released.
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 21:32   Link #2217
orangejuicetang

I get such an urge to yell out Ice/Crystal World! every time Mihoko opens her right eye.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 22:42   Link #2218
FateAnomaly

I feel somewhat sad that Touka probably wouldn't make it to the finals.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 23:54   Link #2219
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
I think it's pretty clear Saki is a little unstable, what with her spacing out, getting lost, savant ability at mahjong, weird way of not wanting to make other people unhappy. She could possibly be considered to be high functioning autistic/asperger's/some other fotm mental disorder.

Good episode.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-25, 00:21   Link #2220
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
I think it's pretty clear Saki is a little unstable, what with her spacing out, getting lost, savant ability at mahjong, weird way of not wanting to make other people unhappy. She could possibly be considered to be high functioning autistic/asperger's/some other fotm mental disorder.

Good episode.

Spoiler:
I found that both hilarious and cute. Mihoko SHOULD get her heart stolen by Hisa because Hisa is darn tooting awesome.

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen