Spoiler:
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 01:40   Link #1722
GaimeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Just had the thought
Spoiler for more speculation:
I actually came up with that thought whileI was reading the chapter, too. I can totally see Arakawa doing something like that, that is...

Spoiler:

And The Small One...

Spoiler:
GaimeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 01:44   Link #1723
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
I actually came up with that thought whileI was reading the chapter, too. I can totally see Arakawa doing something like that, that is...

Spoiler:
Probably not. Everyone was watching Ed beat the crap out of Father, so it's doubtful that they wouldn't tell the difference. Especially considering they've all been focusing on Father all the time, and that their eyes never left Father, it's difficult to confuse the two.

Also, Father isn't wearing a shirt. That's another way to tell the difference
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 02:31   Link #1724
nameless child

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
oh god...

Spoiler for 108 speculation:
Ed has a ponytail but father doesn't
nameless child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 03:15   Link #1725
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Others have mentioned the similarities to the original anime's ending, here's something else I personally noticed:

- In the original anime, Envy's "true" form turned out to look a lot like a slightly older Ed, and he caused fatal damage to Ed which resulted in Al sacrificing himself to bring him back.

That definitely feels to me like the most direct homage to the evens of the actual ending we're seeing here. It's possible Arakawa might not have told them specifically how she planned to end the manga, but maybe she hinted it to them that it would be cool to see Ed fight someone who looks like him, but who overpowers him and causes Al to sacrifice himself to bring his brother back.

I feel a lot of things could simply be coincidence (Mustang losing an eye is a pretty common plot element for older military heroes for example), but the visual impact of seeing Ed get beaten by someone who looks like him is probably something Arakawa wanted to see on screen just in case they never do another anime again. That's how I feel.
This is quickly starting to go down the "80 page chapter" path, so I'm going to nip it in the bud and ask for a source on the "Arakawa told the first series creators her ideas for the ending" story. I've been following the franchise since the first series made it over the Pacific, and I'd never heard anything of the sort until now. I'm not saying it's not true, I'd just prefer if we were discussing based on fact rather than something somebody thought they heard sometime maybe.

Case in point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for 107:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
This was a pretty interesting chapter. Though some things were kind of strange:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for 107:
Old 2010-05-11, 03:32   Link #1726
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Yeah I agree. Where's the source to "Arakawa told BONES how FMA would end"? In the manga omake showing the creative process between Arakawa and BONES for the original anime, it didn't indicate at all that Arakawa told them anything. In fact, she told them not to tell her how the anime would end so she could watch it on TV for herself iirc.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 03:51   Link #1727
Vicious108

...You can't expect anyone to still have a link to a piece of news that was probably released like 6 or 7 years ago.

Best I could find now was this, where she says that the conclusion for the series had already been decided at the start of serialisation. She just didn't know how she would get there. If she already had it planned, it's not a stretch to believe she'd share it with BONES. I'm sure there's more solid proof than this around though, but hey, believe what you wanna believe.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 04:09   Link #1728
kujoe
from head to heel

I heard differently.

Basically, BONES consulted with Arakawa with regard to how the story would most likely end, given that the manga was far from ending at the time. Eventually, it led her to actually spill the beans on what she had in mind, but she told BONES not to end it in the same way so that readers will still have something to look forward to in the manga.

The discussion explains the comparisons that have been said in this thread, but the differences are still there.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 05:08   Link #1729
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Okay so I think we can basically conclude that it is all hearsay and bullocks until someone presents actual information that isn't "I heard".
Old 2010-05-11, 05:17   Link #1730
kujoe
from head to heel

Pretty much.

I just read about it in some forums actually.

I was hoping to get some actual confirmation on this.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 05:48   Link #1731
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Well, it doesn't matter in the long run. The manga is still the manga, and the original anime will be the original anime. They're both complete original stories and it should matter whether the team had any special hints about how the manga would eventually conclude.

What will be more interesting will be how the current anime adapts the rest of the manga.
Old 2010-05-11, 06:01   Link #1732
lonewolf777
Disabled By Request

Lol @ 'leave everyone who can't fight behind.... like the frog and the two chicks.'

Greed always was my favorite Homunculus
lonewolf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 07:06   Link #1733
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I heard differently.

Basically, BONES consulted with Arakawa with regard to how the story would most likely end, given that the manga was far from ending at the time. Eventually, it led her to actually spill the beans on what she had in mind, but she told BONES not to end it in the same way so that readers will still have something to look forward to in the manga.

The discussion explains the comparisons that have been said in this thread, but the differences are still there.
I didn't hear, I read. Pulled out my copy again to be sure I don't just remember it wrongly . At the end of Volume 8 there is that omake of the first anime production and how the producers aproached Arakawa about many things. Even found it in english (point in question is at page 2):
Spoiler for omake:

The official german translation (which is pretty accurate most of the time and is the one I have a hard copy of) translates it like that too, stating she revealed the manga end to Bones. I always took that as the truth, even so it is an omake. But why would Arakawa put it there otherwise?

~+~+~
Now to 107:
WOA! Was on the edge of my seat after all!
Spoiler for 107:
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 07:52   Link #1734
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I have the English manga, and the translation is completely different. This is what it says:

"From their questions... ....I could feel the passion of the creative process! Even if that were so, I felt I needed to get serious about this too... Which is why the original ending is set to be one heck of a show!!"

Does anyone have the original Japanese scan? I don't have the Japanese volumes of FMA on hand at the moment.
Old 2010-05-11, 08:23   Link #1735
Vicious108

It's kinda sad to be saying this, but I actually trust (good) fan translators more than Viz's "profissionals", whose translations were notoriously bad and changed the meaning of many lines here and there. And to think that to this day they still use "Cselkcess" for "Xerxes"...
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 08:44   Link #1736
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
And to think that to this day they still use "Cselkcess" for "Xerxes"...
Eh? The viz releases i have stopped that quite a long time ago.
Old 2010-05-11, 08:57   Link #1737
Kirarakim

The Viz release is not perfect but lately I think some of the scanlations are not great either. There seems to be a lot of creative translation to say the least.

Still I have read in other places besides that Omake that Arakawa had the ending planned from the beginning and asked Bones to give the first anime a different ending.
Old 2010-05-11, 09:04   Link #1738
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I don't the have the volumes at hand now but Im pretty sure they don't make thouse sort of things anymore. Or maybe because it is just not mentioned as much so I don't notice it :P I do like that they called Greedling Grin instead, much better name than the fan sans IMO

Spoiler for anyway, 108 predictions:
Old 2010-05-11, 09:17   Link #1739
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Still I have read in other places besides that Omake that Arakawa had the ending planned from the beginning and asked Bones to give the first anime a different ending.
Data books maybe? Might be even the one for the anime.
Not implying that this is that important XD But I guess would be a cool trivia.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 09:28   Link #1740
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Back to manga discussion:

Wouldn't it suck if Ed's left arm developed an infection from being impaled on that rusty pipe and he had to amputate it? He might need an automail arm after all, and this time no one can blame Truth!