AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-21, 22:00   Link #1
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Looking for more Animes

Hello everyone, I just ran out of animes to watch, and don't know what else to watch that may be good.

The animes I'm looking for are in a list of Action/Comedy/Romance/Tear-Jerking/Mechs
Second-Hand list Swordsmanship/Guns/Magic/Special Abilities (Meaning any anime with those get a +)

I also like "Romance" animes that have Double-Competition, like 2 female/male characters competing for the love of the main character. I also like the animes from J.C Staff, and Kyoto Animation, so any animes that are not in my list that are from them would be nice. Although this next part is not a big need, I do hope to find a anime that the main character is not "helpless/useless" in the majority of situations. But that is not a big requirement from me . I especially like Tsundere type characters. So any anime with a Tsundere character will help.

Also there may not be a lot of animes with this part, but a anime with "Switching Characters" where one character switches bodies with another character is also a good thing

Currently Watching:
Amagami SS
Highschool of the Dead
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin
Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi

Watched:
Shakugan no Shana
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Full Metal Panic! (Including Second Raid, and Fumoffu)
Fullmetal Alchemist (Including Brotherhood)
Cardcaptor Sakura
Darker Then Black (Including Gaiden)
Code Geass (Including R2)
Death Note
Murder Princess
Angel Beats!
Zero no Tsukaima
Clannad
Fate/Stay Night
Ouran Host Club
Hayate no Gotoku
Ah! My Goddess
Vampire Knight
Mobile Suit Gundam (Including all the other Gundams)
Vandread
Stand Alone Complex
Inuyasha
Elfen Lied

If you need more info, just post.

Last edited by Hooves; 2010-08-21 at 22:15.
Old 2010-08-21, 22:37   Link #2
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

If you've seen Angel Beats! and CLANNAD, then go for the rest of the famous Key trio: Kanon 2006 and AIR. Yes, they are by the same people, and yes, they have the same mix of comedy and tearjerking moments.

For action, there's Black Lagoon + (english dub preferred), CANAAN +, Baccano! (english dub preferred) +, Ga Rei Zero +, Kara no Kyoukai +, and To Aru Majutsu no Index +.

For romance, there's ef - a tale of memories, ef - a tale of melodies, true tears, and 5 Centimeters Per Second.

For comedy, there's WORKING!!, Azumanga Daioh, Arakawa Under the Bridge.

For romantic comedy there's Toradora!, Nodame Cantabile, and Gakuen Alice. Toradora! is a must see for J. C. Staff fans.

The ones who fit your double competition requirements are Macross Frontier (romance, action, mecha) and School Days (a bit fanservicey and I warn you in advance of the NICE BOAT ending).
Old 2010-08-21, 22:50   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Some notable Tsundere anime that are not on your list:

Cross Game Baseball/Comedy/Romance/Tear-Jerking (I strongly recommend this one) Main character not helpless

Toradora
Comedy/Romance/Tear-Jerking

Chrome Shelled Regios Action/Comedy/Romance/Special Abilities. If you like tsundere then you'll love Felli Loss. Main character not helpless

Ranma 1/2 Action/Comedy/Romance/Special Abilities/Martial Arts and Crafts. I tend to think of this as the spiritual precursor to Hayate the Combat Butler. Hayate just barely edges out Ranma in the competition for worse parents ever. (Akane is probably the Tsundere character type that came dominate violent Tsundere- think Saito and Louise style romance) Main character not helpless

Chrono Crusade Action/Comedy/Tear-Jerking/Guns/Magic/ You haven't checked out the "nun with a gun" anime?

Maison Ikkoku Comedy/Romance. By the same author as Ranma and Inuyasha, Maison Ikkoku is usually identified as her best work, and Kyoto is often cited as a good way to depict a more complex and less extreme Tsundere.

Neon Genesis Evangelion Action/Tear-Jerking/Mecha/Mind Screw I believe Asuka is identified as the reason twintails are associated with Tsundere. Although Asuka is more a deconstruction of a tsundere instead of the typical comedy.

There are also some non-Tsundere anime that I think you'd really like:

Crest of the Stars Action/Comedy/Romance/Tear-Jerking/Spaceships

Soul Eater Action/Comedy/Swordsmanship/Guns/Magic/Special Abilities

Read or Die Action/Comedy/Tear-Jerking/Special Abilities. Start with the OVAs

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-08-21, 23:02   Link #4
UltimaWolf
~Nani...?~

Came in to say Toradora! if you like animes from J.C. staff, then you'll love this.
Romance. Tsundere heroine. Main guy is awesome and not a wimp at all.
Info on it:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=10050
Taiga(main heroine) is very much like Shana (even Rie Kugimiya does her voice too)

Edit: Oh and I agree with yukirosuzuka about the Key series. Well I actually like alot of the ones they both posted
Old 2010-08-21, 23:10   Link #5
Autumn Demon
~

regios - sci fi, military school, harem-ish
kampfer - harem, school, special abilities
seikai no monshou/senki - sci fi, romance, space ships
spice and wolf - medieval, romance, magic
rental magica - modern day magic, harem-ish
requiem for the phantom - guns...
bakemonogatari - magic, romance, comedy
Old 2010-08-22, 00:14   Link #6
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Thank you all for the opinions

I'll make a list of what to watch in order

Last edited by Hooves; 2010-08-22 at 01:15.
Old 2010-08-22, 00:20   Link #7
the hispanic viewer

Im suprise no one has mentioned this but I Really Recomend the series Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan
Its a mech with alot of action and its funny! Theres a lil romance and some sad moments in the series as well. Seems to fill up all your requirments
Old 2010-08-22, 00:24   Link #8
UltimaWolf
~Nani...?~

Theres a Kanon 2009??? I only know of Kanon 2002 and 2006. But out of the two I know of, 2006 is the more 'polished' one. It is the better out of the two and closer to the VN. It goes through more of the girl's routes, though I haven't seen much of 2002 so I'm not sure which routes it has.
Old 2010-08-22, 00:36   Link #9
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I will strongly second the following shows:

Cross Game (at the top of this list of course)
Gurren Lagann
Spice and Wolf S1 and S2
Toradora
Kanon 2006
(don't bother with Toei's version)
Air TV
5cm per Second
Azumanga Daioh
Nodame Cantabile
Old 2010-08-22, 00:57   Link #10
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I'll give a seconding to Toradora, Working, Air[T.V. and 2 OVAs], and Kanon all 4 were very good in my book, and except Working I'd say those are a must see given Hoove's tastes so far. Also Canaan was an excellent action/gunslinger series.

On Kanon watch the 2006, not 2002; 2006 is the better one by far though, it does start a bit slow, it's still very good and it's the one by kyo-ani.

Also Bakemonogatari is in my opinion the best anime I've seen , so of course I'd second it highly as must see , though the show is a tad bizarre at times, while it's not perfect, it is an amazing series, that's very unique with good romance development and amazing comedy at times, you'll probably recognize the male lead's voice as same as Otanashi and gets even more comedy lines here than Angel Beats . Plus Hitagi is a rather interesting Tsundere female lead.
Only down site is it's rather dialogue heavy based which puts some people off, but if you like that it's really hard to beat, and if that style of show works for you, then Katanagatari will become a must see for you, as it's similar style[same author, different studio] with romance, Swordsmanship/Special Abilities, action, and plenty of dialogue/comedy.

Lesser for romance/comedy, but Hatsukoi Limited has the most competition ever between characters[on both sides even] for the love of other members of the cast, I mean it's a huge driving force in the series.

I'd say to check Kampfer too by what you want, but lessor priority as it's decent to good, just not a must see, if you like it I'd also recommend Omamori Himari, and Needless both fall into similar genre type as it. As all three are comedy, action, ecchi, and special abilities mostly.

And lastly if you decide you want anything that's more purely on comedy side[aside from already mentioned Working] I'd say Lucky Star and K-ON both by Kyo-ani are humor based though there is no male lead in these, or many males at all. They both manage to have a tsundere girl in each despite this . While Seitokai no Ichizon is similar it does have a extremely useful male lead, and has plenty of comedy/harem in it.

P.S. Sorry this post is probably a bit long xD.
MAL
Old 2010-08-22, 01:20   Link #11
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I'm going to be spending a lot of time watching all these animes that were suggested

Still, thank you all for the suggestions.

@Konakaga

Don't worry about it, I always like to hear a bit of info about the anime before watching it

Last edited by Hooves; 2010-08-22 at 02:26.
Closed Thread