AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-04-26, 20:07   Link #6741
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Matt Barkley going down, down, down. Should have entered last year bud.

Edit: Mike Glennon has gone before Barkley.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 20:23   Link #6742
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Matt Barkley going down, down, down. Should have entered last year bud.
Like I said, he got cocky and his ego has cost him millions.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 22:30   Link #6743
Yye1
Wide Right

Im starting to wonder if the Jets' brass are masochists with their QBs, Tebow, Sanchez. Garrard and now Smith, thats a lot

"Me and my girlfreinds are goin to go see Sex and the City." We're like: "Great! Now i dont have to take you to see that shit!"
-The Great Philosopher Chris Rock
Yye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 23:54   Link #6744
Samari
World's Greatest

Selecting Tank Carradine was cool. Apparently he's a force off the edge and adding another pass rushing prospect with Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks already on board is way too sweet. Hopefully he's the real deal.

The Packers got Eddie Lacy and even though we have three good runners on our roster with Gore as the frontman, I have to admit I'm a little jealous. I liked what I saw from Lacy, and he looks more and more like Eddie George. I'm just a fan of those type of backs I guess. I think he'll be a good player for them and they can stop relying on the runningback by committee thing that they've gotten too comfortable with. It will be interesting to see how he performs against our defense in the first week of the season.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 01:17   Link #6745
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

I bet Matt Flynn is on his knees, praying that the Raiders don't draft Barkley or Nassib ( or Wilson or Bray or Dysert, etc.).

There still plenty of players I like still on the board. If the Panthers drafts one or two of these guys, I'll be super happy with the Draft.

WR Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
WR Da'Rick Rodgers, Tennessee Tech
WR Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas
OL Barrett Jones, Alabama
C Brian Schwenke, California
T David Bakhtiari, Colorado
T David Quessenberry, San Jose State
T Chris Faulk, LSU
S Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma
S Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse
S Duke Williams, Nevada
S Bacarri Rambo, Georgia
CB Sanders Cummings, Georgia
TE Ryan Otten, San Jose St
TE Levine Toilolo, Stanford
TE Joseph Fauria, UCLA
*K Dustin Hopkins, Florida State
*K Caleb Sturgis, Florida

Of course, most of the picks will be players that wasn't even on my radar (not that that is an automatic bad thing, just the way it usually goes down).

*Should be the final draft pick, of course. As UDFAs would be preferred.
Old 2013-04-27, 01:24   Link #6746
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
I bet Matt Flynn is on his knees, praying that the Raiders don't draft Barkley or Nassib.
The Raiders are not going to draft a QB, they have too many needs elsewhere to even consider it. My bet is that The Raiders won't draft again on offense unless it's another O-Line guy.

And The Raiders pickup OLB Sio Moore in the third round.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 11:07   Link #6747
GDB

Wow, Eagles just took Barkley as #1 in round 4. He seems like an odd choice for them.

*edit*
And the Giants take Ryan Nassib. Interesting.

Last edited by GDB; 2013-04-27 at 11:45.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 12:59   Link #6748
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
The Raiders are not going to draft a QB, they have too many needs elsewhere to even consider it. My bet is that The Raiders won't draft again on offense unless it's another O-Line guy.
Most teams stop drafting need in the later rounds since these guys aren't projected to be starters for the first couple of years, they draft for value or BPA. Them drafting Tyler Wilson shows that.
Old 2013-04-27, 13:10   Link #6749
VTHokiePride

Quinton Patton and Marcus Lattimore to the 49ers. Bright futures for both of them.
VTHokiePride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 17:27   Link #6750
Samari
World's Greatest

49ers got Lattimore. My jealousy for the Packers taking Lacy just went down the drain. This is fucking awesome.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2013-04-27, 21:42   Link #6751
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

So I haven't been paying attention to the draft at all this year and once again Bellicheck goes and drafts players nobody else really seemed excited about. Anyone here know anything about these 2 WR they drafted? Any chance of them being any good?
Old 2013-04-28, 00:06   Link #6752
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

The one drafted in the 2nd round (Aaron Dobson) was considered a decent prospect, but many felt that that their were better options at the WR position at the time and that the pick is a reach. The second one, Josh Boyce, has injury history.
Old 2013-04-28, 00:22   Link #6753
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

This is the most boring draft I've watched in probably a decade.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 00:54   Link #6754
sky black swordman

^ Really ?
Personally I thought it was quite entertaining, it was interesting to see how far Geno Smith and Matt Barkley fell in the rounds.
Despite both being considered first round prospect they both fell into later rounds, Smith to 2nd and Barkley to the 4th. Despite being drafted, they are both quite possibly pissed they did not drafted in the first round.
Old 2013-04-28, 06:48   Link #6755
Samari
World's Greatest

49ers got Lawrence Okoye via free agency. That guy looks like a beast and seems like he has the right attitude. We are going to have the most stacked roster.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2013-04-28, 21:04   Link #6756
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I realize there's a natural law that states one needs to support one's alma mater (and, by extension, college football conference), but this new B10 re-alignment is so stupid. There's absolutely nothing resembling parity between the new East and West divisions. A lot of great games have been thrown to the wind as well.

I'd much rather Bucky have been able to play MSU, UM, and "The" OSU, than...um...Nebraska?
Also, cake.
Old 2013-04-28, 21:15   Link #6757
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I realize there's a natural law that states one needs to support one's alma mater (and, by extension, college football conference), but this new B10 re-alignment is so stupid. There's absolutely nothing resembling parity between the new East and West divisions. A lot of great games have been thrown to the wind as well.

I'd much rather Bucky have been able to play MSU, UM, and "The" OSU, than...um...Nebraska?
Well, the Big Ten basically told us fans, "You don't like the Legends and Leaders stuff, eh? Okay. We'll show you. Don't blame us that most of the good teams are towards the east."

Nebraska/Wisky will be the de facto Big Ten West Championship every year while UM, OSU, PSU, and MSU brutalize each other... which leaves open the possibility of some ridiculous outcomes, like Rutgers making the championship game, because they caught the tougher games after those teams became the walking dead from facing the other good teams. At least the East is going to have some great games every year.

I know that us Penn Staters are comparatively new to the Big 10 and thus we don't "get" the history of the conference like other teams do. From a 3rd Person perspective, I'm sure that the Little Brown Jug is important for Michigan and Minnesota, but does it really mean anything in the grand scheme of things? There are many "trophy" games and rivalries in college football, but only a few are really "national" interest games anymore. OSU/Michigan has been preserved, of course. That game is up there with games like the Iron Bowl, Florida/FSU, USC/UCLA, etc. that garner national attention almost every year. Paul Bunyan's Axe? Important to Minny and Wisky, not that important to nation. But, as I said, I'm sure that if Penn State had long, ongoing rivalry like most of the other Big 10 teams, we'd feel differently, but we don't. Penn Staters are split on our only possible "rival," Pitt. I'm in the camp that could not care any less about Pitt and would actually rather NOT play Pitt, lest we get dragged down to their level. The other camp desperately wants us to play Pitt because it's "such a huge rivalry." Well, bad news for them. It's not. No one outside Pennsylvania cares. Rivalries may sound nice for the fans, but I don't think they mean much when, ultimately, everyone is fighting to win the conference and then the national championship.

As for Nebraska, I'm glad you feel that way. Penn Staters, for whatever reason, were PUMPED that we were going to play Nebraska every year as our permanent "cross-over" game. I'm thrilled now that we only have to see them twice every 6-8 years. Nebraska is a classic program, but they don't get it done for me. I am much happier to be playing Michigan every year now. I am, of course, less than thrilled that we ALSO have to play friggin' Rutgers every year, but, oh well. Allegedly the Big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland, in part, to appease us, since our admins have apparently long bitched about having no other eastern teams in the Big 10. Well, that was our fault for joining, then.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 23:35   Link #6758
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I know it's text, but I thought I was pretty clear at how ambivalent I was towards playing Nebraska.

Yes, there are some "old" rivalries between us and two teams in the Western division, but no one in the current generation really gives two hoots about them, and I can pretty much guarantee that games against the two Michigans and OSU bring out far more passion in today's Bucky fanbase than any of the teams we have in our division.

The beat-up issue isn't as big as I think you're making it out to be. It's not like OSU wasn't playing Michigan a lot, as an example, already. In the end, whoever wins the East will be playing whoever wins the West, and odds are whoever is representing the East will win. We may have won the championship for the last couple years, but I'm a realist as to how good of a team we're capable of fielding, and it's not one I'd ever rank as top tier.

I realize that basing divisions off present performance isn't perhaps the smartest thing to do for long term health, but even from the long view, I don't see there ever being real parity between West and East with this setup.

And, being completely selfish, Bucky's conference games just got a lot less exciting. I realize everyone loves their own college towns, but Madison on Sundays was really a treat (and known nationally for it; comes from the alcohol-induced scandinavian heritage coupled with there being no other real sports/cities in the state outside of the Packers, and have you ever been to Green Bay...; heck, our Geology department has a liquor license even!), and deserves better than the games we'll now be playing. Sure, I don't live there anymore, but it's sad to see anything that might change such a cherished memory.
Also, cake.
Old 2013-04-29, 11:02   Link #6759
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I know it's text, but I thought I was pretty clear at how ambivalent I was towards playing Nebraska.
Oh, no, I got it. I'm sorry if I made it sound like something else. I was serious when I said, "I'm glad you feel that way." No sarcasm. Nebraska fans have this huge ego problem and expect that anyone playing them should feel honored to have the chance to face Nebraska. Really aggravates me. So when I hear someone else saying, "Nebraska doesn't get it done for me," I like what I hear.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 12:26   Link #6760
VTHokiePride

Tim Tebow was released today. I feel bad for him because he was never given an opportunity to play for Jets. I hope Oakland picks him up. So far their best QB is Matt Flynn.
VTHokiePride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american football, sports