AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-01-14, 10:39   Link #1
GDB

[3DS] Fire Emblem: if / Fire Emblem Fates

Fourteenth Fire Emblem game announced for the Nintendo 3DS. Trailer streamed on the various Nintendo Directs, so there shouldn't be any worry about localization. The Japanese version is set to release this summer, and no date set for the English version as of yet.

The key this time appears to be choices that affect the story and gameplay. The story is being written by Shin Kibayashi, known for writing the later Kindaichi Case Files chapters (under the pen name Seimaru Amagi).

There's no indication about whether "My Unit" aka the Avatar (well, an Avatar) is returning. The Dual System is returning to some degree as well, based on the trailer. In addition, the battles are based on where the units actually are in the map, rather than generic fields and such. And finally, characters have feet.

Siliconera
AnimeNewsNetwork

Still shots captured by Serenes Forest.

April 1, 2015 New trailer:

April 1, 2015 New information:

Two story paths - the peaceful Hoshido (Japanese aesthetics) and the ambitious Nohr. Your character (male or female) is Hoshido-borne and Nohr-raised. You must choose which nation to fight for.

Japanese information:

Game will be released Pokémon style, with one copy being Hoshido and one copy being Nohr. You can buy (digitally) the other game as an add-on for approximately 1/3rd of the retail price. A third path will be available later (again, like Pokemon) for purchase both physically and digitally. Again, you'll be able to purchase it as an add-on for approximately 1/3rd the retail price. There will be a deluxe bundle special edition for approximately twice the retail price of a single edition copy. Release date is June 25th, 2015.

Release Date:

US and Europe release date is 2016. Also note that the English directs made no mention of multiple editions, so there's a distinct possibility that the delay is due to getting all three paths on a single cart. This is further suspected due to the direct making an emphasis on choosing a path.

Last edited by GDB; 2015-04-01 at 18:54.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 10:56   Link #2
Awrya
U mad?

After playing my first ever Fire Emblem game in Awakening, I'm definitely hyped for this one.
Is the "If" official or just a provisional name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
And finally, characters have feet.
Next generation animation right there.
Old 2015-01-14, 10:58   Link #3
GDB

If is the official Japanese name, but it isn't confirmed for the English name. The English trailer just calls it "The latest in the Fire Emblem series", so they're probably trying to come up with a name that gets the same meaning across (choices change the story) while rolling off the tongue better.
Old 2015-01-14, 10:59   Link #4
anime fan99

I'm excited but Disappointed at the same time

excited Because I loved fire emblem awakening Great game

Disappointed Because this does not look like a direct sequel for awakening

fire emblem awakening was my first and only game I played in the Series so my connexion to the characters not the name fire emblem
Old 2015-01-14, 11:16   Link #5
com_gwp

This came out of fucking nowhere and shot straight to the top of my "WANT" list. And going by the trend, we're possibly getting it as soon as fall? HYPE.

Online speculation seem to be that you'll get the choice to follow either the Japanese styled side and the European styled side, hence the name "if".
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 11:23   Link #6
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Kozaki Yusuke returning is all I need.

That lovely Dancer(?).
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 13:21   Link #7
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Nnn... It's a shame the artist didn't change. Not that Kozaki is that bad, but Wada Sachiko definitely had the prettiest artwork in the series.

As far as the game goes... Tune down the galga aspect and reduce the DLC. Thinking about the earlier DLC makes me shake my head.
(But then I look at the upcoming Tales' game's DLC and it all of a sudden feels okay. Mysterious)
Oh, and if they bring back Lunatic+, actually put in some effort on upping the difficulty instead of randomly distributing skills.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 13:21   Link #8
Robotech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime fan99 View Post
I'm excited but Disappointed at the same time

excited Because I loved fire emblem awakening Great game

Disappointed Because this does not look like a direct sequel for awakening

fire emblem awakening was my first and only game I played in the Series so my connexion to the characters not the name fire emblem
Well, unfortunately for you this is what you should expect. Direct Sequels are about as uncommon in this franchise as with Final Fantasy titles.

So it happens every once and a while, but don't count on it.
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 14:04   Link #9
GDB

It actually isn't that uncommon. 1/3 (and technically 11/12, since they're remakes), 4/5 (side story, not sequel), 6/7, and 9/10.

But Awakening was kind of like a sequel to itself, as well as a distant future sequel to 1/3. So really, it was the sequel itself.
Old 2015-01-14, 15:10   Link #10
Robotech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
It actually isn't that uncommon. 1/3 (and technically 11/12, since they're remakes), 4/5 (side story, not sequel), 6/7, and 9/10.

But Awakening was kind of like a sequel to itself, as well as a distant future sequel to 1/3. So really, it was the sequel itself.
I'm aware of the continuity relationships between the various games, but when he said "direct sequel," I believe he meant direct as in not some distant continuity followup or prequel, but a sequel directly to the characters/story of Awakening, as implied by him saying his connection was to the characters of Awakening, not the franchise name.

So when I think of something that directly followed up on a previous title, I'm limiting that to 9/10 and 1/3; with 4/5 being more of a side story as you said, 6/7 being more loosely connected since 7 was a prequel with its own cast, and the remakes being...well, remakes.
Old 2015-01-14, 15:42   Link #11
GDB

True. If we're talking direct sequels, it's just 1/3 and 9/10.
Old 2015-01-14, 17:03   Link #12
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

PLease have waifus! PLease have waifus! PLease have waifus! PLease have waifus! PLease have waifus! PLease have waifus! PLease have waifus! PLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2015-01-14, 17:24   Link #13
Robotech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
PLease have waifus! PLease have waifus! PLease have waifus! PLease have waifus! PLease have waifus! PLease have waifus! PLease have waifus! PLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What the hell are you talking about?

Every Fire Emblem game has Waifus.

Unless you're talking specifically about an actual in game marriage/couples mechanic like Awakening, and not just good ol' Otaku possessiveness.
Old 2015-01-14, 17:34   Link #14
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
What the hell are you talking about?

Every Fire Emblem game has Waifus.

Unless you're talking specifically about an actual in game marriage/couples mechanic like Awakening, and not just good ol' Otaku possessiveness.
I am talking about the marriage system, specially a avatar of yourself marrying. That Dancer girl look so much like Lucina, thus I am so gonna make her my waifu.
Old 2015-01-14, 17:38   Link #15
Zakoo

On the hype train here, the heroin looks great, art is great, everything seems great, i'm overjoyed about this.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 18:21   Link #16
Galaxian

Quote:
Please have a harem option! Please have a harem option! DON'T FORCE ME TO CHOOSE AGAIN!!!
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 18:22   Link #17
GDB

Quote:
I am talking about the marriage system, specially a avatar of yourself marrying. That Dancer girl look so much like Lucina, thus I am so gonna make her my waifu.
Not sure about FE1, 2, 3, or 5, but the rest all had marriages. They weren't something that slapped you in the face like Awakening, but they were there. Usually in the epilogue sequence when it said what happened to everyone after the campaign.

That said, I would like them to continue allowing anyone to support with anyone. It was nice being able to pair anyone with anyone, rather than only one of three potential candidates.
Old 2015-01-14, 18:51   Link #18
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

I am just hoping that she will be as awesome as Lucina, plus that thigh... Oh man, the THIGH!!!!! <3
Old 2015-01-14, 19:35   Link #19
Galaxian

She's a grown version of Shiro from No Game No Life...

Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 22:36   Link #20
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

So Lucina's mom is 'officially' Olivia? I don't mind at all.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3ds, fire emblem