AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-07-04, 18:05   Link #1401
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Wow... I thought I'd feel happier for Eisui not passing, but damn.

So, Saki can just decide who passes and who fails now all by herself even if we're talking about last place? And by royally screwing with the most adorable character the main series has seen in a while in in the process?

Teru is a force of nature, but Saki is a goshdarn anti-spiral, downright to the ultimate despair part.

No wonder Achiga is guaranteed to pass, we're going to need Shizu's hotblood in the finals. Badly.

Wait... this match also takes place in the achiga-hen anime, and we clearly see that Kiyosumi passed, so how does Saki go from "you're alive because I feel like it" to "can't go in, onee-chan will eat me"? Sure, Teru is terrifying, but right now it seems Saki is the only one with the power to defeat her.

And for that matter, why is Nodoka not treating her like a cheating lover? I guess that's why we haven't seen Nodoka since the dream sequence in the manga, she has worse things to worry about. But wait, doesn't that dream take place after the quarters? Or does it? I don't remember.

P.S: HELL YEAH! SCREW YOU, MIKO BLOWDOLLS!
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 18:23   Link #1402
Sumeragi
Banned

Hoping we can see Toyone play in the future.

Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 18:30   Link #1403
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Toyone and her friends will get their chance, but not in the main manga. Her teammates Shiromi and Sae have already appeared in Saki: Biyori, after all.

Incidentally, doesn't this mean that Side B now has enough chapters for a 12-episode adaptation?
Old 2012-07-04, 18:34   Link #1404
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

^
At the very least, I think it's better for them to wait until they managed to fight Shiratodai in the final rather than having an anime right now when they only finished fighting Eisui.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 18:34   Link #1405
Sumeragi
Banned

Hmmm.... Anyone know about the individuals? Who represent Iwate?
Old 2012-07-04, 18:38   Link #1406
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Hmmm.... Anyone know about the individuals? Who represent Iwate?
The Individuals aren't really given much focus, and the only things we know about the participants are because of side-comments and never directly. For example, I only learned recently that the single Japanese player for Rinkai is actually the 3rd placer for the Individuals after Teru and Kei! We've only learned more about the other Individuals participants because of Achiga-hen, and ONLY because it was the only way for them to get practice without breaking tourney rules (also an excuse to show Kei in a nurse cosplay...).

I really hope that Toyone pops up again for the Individuals though. It'd be a shame if she didn't given how much focus was given to her (kind of like Toki right) team.
Old 2012-07-04, 18:58   Link #1407
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
The Individuals aren't really given much focus, and the only things we know about the participants are because of side-comments and never directly. For example, I only learned recently that the single Japanese player for Rinkai is actually the 3rd placer for the Individuals after Teru and Kei! We've only learned more about the other Individuals participants because of Achiga-hen, and ONLY because it was the only way for them to get practice without breaking tourney rules (also an excuse to show Kei in a nurse cosplay...).

I really hope that Toyone pops up again for the Individuals though. It'd be a shame if she didn't given how much focus was given to her (kind of like Toki right) team.
Toyone got a little more flashback time than usual for Saki standards, Toki hijacked the climax of the series, there's kind of a difference there.

Also, I just realized Senriyama still hasn't had a Saki Biyori chapter. What's up with that?
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 19:12   Link #1408
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Also, I just realized Senriyama still hasn't had a Saki Biyori chapter. What's up with that?
Achiga has had only a single Biyori chapter as well, but this might change in the future, particularly in Otona no Maki.

Besides, Tsuruga and Kazekoshi are author-favorites in the 4koma.
Old 2012-07-04, 20:16   Link #1409
RJ TAYLER

Toyone should be portrayed in any version (audio or television) by either Romi Park (that height calls for something deep sounding) or a combination of the following Rina Satou or Hitomi Nabatame (some refined elegance).

Yes a hither-to nice twist and an appropriate curveball in the general narrative going on. Really keeps the readers interested now too.
Old 2012-07-04, 20:48   Link #1410
azziz

please,stop with this ridiculous toyone hype;she made friend through mahjong and cried,but how is that different from any other girl we've seen in this manga?
believe me,i've been holding back for weeks,because i respect anyone whose taste differ from mine,but,objectively,treating her like if ritz surpassed herself with this chara is...
incomprehensible.
at less,i humbly think so.
azziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 21:04   Link #1411
The Green One

What I don't get is why people find it so surprising that Saki would aim for this result. It makes perfect tactical sense to eliminate two troublesome schools and let the school that's the least of a threat to Saki and the rest of her team advance. It's not even an underhanded trick so why should Nodoka, or anyone else for that matter, fault her for it even if she did do +/- 0 again. If anything it just shows that she's THAT skilled.

Of course it won't always be this easy for her, Rinkai will probably prove to be a tougher fight not to mention Shiratodai wont be anywhere near as easy either. This match was clearly an exercise to show off Saki's power to the audience as well as in-universe to the other players.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 21:19   Link #1412
Sol Falling

I personally prefer Shiromi, Aislinn, Haru, and Kasumi out of all the new schools/characters for this round myself. I'm not really fond of anybody in Himematsu so it is a bit of a disappointment to see them advance. I suppose it is for the sake of plot development though, and it certainly does make what Saki's doing seem very interesting.

Speaking of Saki's behaviour which was previewed in the Achiga anime, though, I didn't quite get the impression that she was avoiding Teru due to being scared of her. Rather, it almost seemed to me that Saki was being portrayed as blatantly creepy due to the bored/tired way she was saying "I wonder if it's over yet". One of the reasons I don't think any one of us would've predicted Saki playing plus/minus zero here is due to Saki's supposed "reformation" and promises to always play her best like at the prefectural individuals, with Nodoka. However, after seeing the full extent that Saki has unleashed in this Captain's match I think that she has gone full demon mode--not even saying "mahjong is fun" anymore, simply rampaging on a straight path to her sister.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 21:38   Link #1413
The Green One

I've felt that Saki's unwillingness to visit her sister or watch her in action before the finals is that deep down Saki is desperately trying to hold in a fear that even if she makes it to the finals and reaches out to her sister with Mahjong, that her effort will end in failure and her sister will treat her no differently then before and that this entire endeavor that she fought so hard for will end in miserable bitter failure making even winning the tournament a bitter victory. For if this happens Saki will have no choice but to admit something that she has so far desperately avoided. That her family is broken and cannot be fixed.

The series has shown that Saki very much wishes for her sister's love and the thought that all her efforts are hopeless and her sister will refuse to have anything to do with her regardless of what Saki does probably deeply scares her. Hence all her brooding by herself during her sister's matches.
Old 2012-07-04, 22:01   Link #1414
King-Slayer

Spoiler for 99:
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 22:08   Link #1415
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
What I don't get is why people find it so surprising that Saki would aim for this result. It makes perfect tactical sense to eliminate two troublesome schools and let the school that's the least of a threat to Saki and the rest of her team advance. It's not even an underhanded trick so why should Nodoka, or anyone else for that matter, fault her for it even if she did do +/- 0 again. If anything it just shows that she's THAT skilled.

Of course it won't always be this easy for her, Rinkai will probably prove to be a tougher fight not to mention Shiratodai wont be anywhere near as easy either. This match was clearly an exercise to show off Saki's power to the audience as well as in-universe to the other players.
No. It wasn't surprising at all that Saki aimed for this result, just that Ritz-sensei actually made it happen. Say what you will about Esui, but they could have done better with a little development. On the other hand, Himematsu is pretty bland as a team, setting aside Hiroe or maybe Kyouko.

Oh yeah. There's also the fact that Toyone fans (myself included) aren't happy with this result.
Old 2012-07-04, 22:21   Link #1416
The Green One

Just what does Eisui have going for them? They're an oversized boob monster, an exhibitionist that looks like she's underage, an even more ridiculously oversized boob monster, or they're completely presence-less. That about describes them in a nutshell, there's little to nothing to characterize. Toyone and her team also had their characters pretty well explored for the most part so there isn't that much left to do with them either. Himematsu, who I don't have any particular fondness for by the way, still has some more room to be explored but they seem to be more of a "normal persons" team.

But to get back to being serious, now Rinkai and whoever else is going to be there has more time to be explored as characters since they'll probably be the ones holding the spotlight in the next round. I can respect that you don't like if your favorite character got eliminated, just some of the more extreme reactions I've seen over it just puzzle me.
Old 2012-07-04, 22:31   Link #1417
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Just what does Eisui have going for them? They're an oversized boob monster, an exhibitionist that looks like she's underage, an even more ridiculously oversized boob monster, or they're completely presence-less. That about describes them in a nutshell, there's little to nothing to characterize. Toyone and her team also had their characters pretty well explored for the most part so there isn't that much left to do with them either. Himematsu, who I don't have any particular fondness for by the way, still has some more room to be explored but they seem to be more of a "normal persons" team.
The lack of personality or "presence" you're describing is exactly due to insufficient characterization they're getting. Of course, the same could said of Himematsu, but their inclusion adds very little to the mahjong table during the actual matches. Once the semi final comes, I can already see them being reduced to background characters.

Perhaps they could help in providing a "straight" perspective of the mahjong battles due to their normality, but I can't see them coming out as memorable otherwise.
Old 2012-07-04, 22:46   Link #1418
The Green One

A fair point Qilin, Himematsu's inclusion is more to showcase the common player's struggle against the freaky mahjong super monsters like in Saki's captain battle. But I could see any of the teams that following Kiyosumi into the semi's as being relegated into background characters as Rinkai and the other school are probably going to get a lot of attention.
Old 2012-07-04, 23:33   Link #1419
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azziz View Post
please,stop with this ridiculous toyone hype;she made friend through mahjong and cried,but how is that different from any other girl we've seen in this manga?
believe me,i've been holding back for weeks,because i respect anyone whose taste differ from mine,but,objectively,treating her like if ritz surpassed herself with this chara is...
incomprehensible.
at less,i humbly think so.
I just like Toyone, that's all.

That being said, I never expected there to be a Sera doujinshi. Guess people do have all kind of tastes

Old 2012-07-04, 23:41   Link #1420
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Sumeragi: Much better than all the "Ako does enjo-kosai" thing that's been going on since Achiga-hen came into the non-manga reader consciousness. Geh.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri