AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 235 66.01%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 79 22.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 7.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.28%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.40%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-05, 20:40   Link #481
Cal-Reflector

Allow me to say that episodes 9-12 of this series have me sincerely impressed.

Really good stuff. That's all I've got to say for now.
Old 2006-07-11, 11:01   Link #482
chill.

sorry if this was already mentioned but i didn't want to re-read through the post

the play at the beginning of the episode that Koizumi is performing is the opening scene from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard, very very good play and movie
Old 2006-07-21, 03:05   Link #483
Shredder

That rock concert was badass, can't wait for OST. Ep ended on a nice note for Haruhi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakaneh
Dont know if anyboy already answer it, but i really think that it's a RPG Game main theme titled Chrono Trigger
Nah I just played it and listened to OST thoroughly, I would've recognized it. I think it is more Zelda-ish but I think it may just be an original song in the style of something else. Chrono Trigger OST rocks though, main theme too and just all of it.
Old 2006-07-21, 08:27   Link #484
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder
That rock concert was badass, can't wait for OST. Ep ended on a nice note for Haruhi.
Nah I just played it and listened to OST thoroughly, I would've recognized it. I think it is more Zelda-ish but I think it may just be an original song in the style of something else. Chrono Trigger OST rocks though, main theme too and just all of it.
Just a note, the songs in this episode have been released in CD form as a collection of insert songs. I'm still loving "LOST MY MUSIC" . Too bad it didn't come with music videos of said insert songs...
Old 2006-07-21, 15:26   Link #485
Shredder

Oh sweet, I'll look for them. I liked the first song more--Yuki's flying fingers were so cool, just like her typing. She was a character that certainly became more intriguing as the show proceeded. And the first song had that element of surprise after all of those bad acts performed in the culture show. It was like, whooa who are these guys, bunny outfit and all
Old 2006-07-30, 15:09   Link #486
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
sorry to bring this topie alive

but i wonder somethin in this ep ...
in the end when Haruhi and Kyon are having a conversation about forming a group
Haruhi mentions about Yuki with guitare and Mikuru as a stage decoration and she even asks if Kyon can play any instrument
but she didnt mention or asked about Koizumi

is it some mistake or did she do it on purpose ?
Old 2006-07-30, 15:25   Link #487
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No, it probably just faded out at that point... she already knows Koizumi will do anything asked...
Old 2007-03-16, 20:18   Link #488
Kittie Rose

I remember this came up a while ago in a Cyberpunk game; a Full Borg character wanted to learn to play the Trumpet in character creation.

What was decided was that he could be technically proficient with it, but with little feeling.

With Yuki playing the guitar, she managed to quickly learn to transcribe tablature to instrument, but is that quite the same thing as being good very quickly? There's also such thing as a playing style. Things like slides, bends, and exact timings of hammer-ons and pull-offs aren't always defined and become part of what makes each performance unique. Someone who just learned how to work an instrument with the data manipulation skills of 100 chinese children probably wouldn't know much about the "feel" of an instrument. The feel isn't just some imaginary thing that it's nice to know exists but doesn't come up much in the music, it can tilt one music style towards another. With lead guitar(or instruments like the Saxophone), this is a bit of a problem for people who have trouble expressing themselves.

It would have been nice if they went into that in the episode. Though I guess there's the next season...
Old 2007-03-16, 21:40   Link #489
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
It would have been nice if they went into that in the episode. Though I guess there's the next season...
Or the fourth novel
Old 2007-03-16, 21:56   Link #490
Kittie Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Or the fourth novel
I really don't think I'd enjoy the novels at all. Not only would it mean far, far more is lost in translation(And if you say "Well that's the fun of learning japanese", I WILL kick you in the wapanese gonads) but it just wouldn't capture the chaotic atmosphere the anime often has as well. I think the best thing for a book with such crazy characters is for it to be made into an anime.

Then again, some writers are very good at capturing eccentrics. Terry Pratchett for one. However, most writers aren't. I don't know why, but Isaac Asimov comes to mind. I can't ever imagine him writing a true eccentric.
Old 2007-03-16, 22:22   Link #491
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
I really don't think I'd enjoy the novels at all. Not only would it mean far, far more is lost in translation(And if you say "Well that's the fun of learning japanese", I WILL kick you in the wapanese gonads) but it just wouldn't capture the chaotic atmosphere the anime often has as well. I think the best thing for a book with such crazy characters is for it to be made into an anime.
I was trying to think of the most polite way to say that everything I quoted is comepletely wrong, but I gave up

I do know a bit of Japanese, but I read the novels in English. As for things being lost in translation: well, your anime is translated, isn't it?

Believe me, the atmosphere is just as chaotic (if not moreso) in the novels.

And yes, it being made into an anime was probably the best thing that could have happened to it. However, the anime covers just short of two out of eight (soon to be ten) novels, and there's a lot of material covered there. Examples: Super Moe Mode Nagato, Sneering Bastard, John Smith, some really interesting bits on Tsuruya-san, Mikuru becoming three-dimensional (think she's just a mascot character who's otherwise useless and unimportant? Well, so does she), Koizumi not acting like a deuchbag, and much, much more.
Old 2007-03-16, 22:47   Link #492
Kittie Rose

Quote:
I do know a bit of Japanese, but I read the novels in English. As for things being lost in translation: well, your anime is translated, isn't it?
Yeah, but only the words. The actions aren't.
Old 2007-03-16, 22:54   Link #493
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Yeah, but only the words. The actions aren't.
Well, whatever. If you want to miss out, then it's up to you, I guess. I still suggest at least giving them a try. The anime contains the first novel in it's entirety, so that might be a good place to start, if you choose.
Old 2007-03-17, 19:31   Link #494
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
Quote:
The novels are quite chaotic and convey action very well. At least read up to the fourth volume. ^^
Old 2007-03-19, 03:29   Link #495
Skane
Anime Snark

It would be wise not to judge a book until you have tried reading it.

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-22, 21:56   Link #496
Selius

Bar none my favorite episode. I'm listening to God Knows on repeat now...
Old 2008-02-12, 23:02   Link #497
psme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm going to compare the ENOZ girls to the ZONE ladies when I get a chance later to see if there's something beyond a generic resemblance.
LOL! It's a complete parody of the real live girl band ZONE! Haruhi said the guitarist (Yuki) is a stand-in, ZONE original guitarist Takayo quited and replaced by Tomoka, the bass girl name is Mai, ZONE bass girl name is Maiko! And haruhi said herself is the vocalist who can't really play guitar, which is exactly the ZONE vocalist Muyi was!

And the whole school festival and concert in school hall is yet another parody from the real live movie "Linda Linda Linda", as a post already pointed out. In LindaX3, the original band member also can not perform due to injured and need a replacement (Haruhi). And there is heavy rain when the band perform hence draw people to the hall!

I'm a big fan of ZONE and I like the movie LindaX3 very much. I was seriously LOLed watching this episode!

regards,

Li On
Old 2009-05-07, 12:20   Link #498
OkamiNoKaze

Best episode of the series, definitely a 10, this is the episode where I went from a mere fan to a Haruhiist. My jaw was on the floor for her whole performance. She looks better then Mikuru in a bunny suit
Old 2009-05-19, 22:04   Link #499
Code Geass
Princess of Geass

This episode deserved a perfect ten because Suzumiya's performance was amazing! She did a great job, and Yuki was playing a guitar!! I have both songs on my phone, and I'm still not sick of them.
Old 2009-09-24, 11:57   Link #500
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

The concert still remains the best animated scene I have ever seen. Amazing background and character detail (even the cheering crowd), perfect audio-visual sync. Too bad the new episodes never lived up to this level of quality. But to be fair, when you set the bar this high... I can only wonder when the opportunity for KyoAni to set it higher will come, if ever.