AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-27, 08:34   Link #1021
salitangibinasura
n00b101

Kanna deserves all the love in the world. <3
salitangibinasura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 08:43   Link #1022
kimpleng
Lurker

Is the poncho that Ichika wearing also appear in Onegai series?
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 08:50   Link #1023
Kakkou
Tch.

I seriously hope they didn't bad end Onegai Teacher just for this show, so I kept repeating that line about the "messenger" getting her memories erased. First of all, the subs shouldn't have put it in past tense, cause the message was obviously recorded before the alien was taken away, otherwise it'd to be darn stupid be saying "They came for me, my memories were locked" when she'd have been taken and should no longer be able to leave the message there.

Another thing is that it sounded more like she was speaking about how her memories would be erased once they got her and not definitely erased. That way certainly fits Teacher. My guess is that
Spoiler for Onegai Teacher:
Lemon calling Ichika her first alien friend indefinitely disqualifies her from being Ichigo. She's probably her daughter or granddaughter (and so on...) or simply just a 100% expy by the writer because he can.

... In the end, I could just be overthinking all this and there's absolutely no Teacher connections outside of the meta ones.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 08:52   Link #1024
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'm going to go ahead and separate the sci-fi elements in this story from the romance elements in my mind. The romance is awesome, but the sci-fi is just plain weird..

Overall it was a great finish. About what I expected but still great.

And yes, Kanna does deserve all the love in the world...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 08:58   Link #1025
DarkWish
Proclaimed Perv

Send a message via MSN to DarkWish
Quote:
Originally Posted by salitangibinasura View Post
This!

Man i started to love her so much more. I wish she had better luck.

For the series 8/10 , all the sci-fi elements =
would have been way much better without the sci-fi stuff and just plain romance.

I dont know about onegai teacher, i didnt watch it , but thats my opinion on this series.
Old 2012-03-27, 09:01   Link #1026
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
As much as some try to see the message/memory as a connection between Onegai Sensei and Senpai, it makes no sense! Mizuho ended up staying, had both her sisters visiting, and her federation was well aware where she was and what she was doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
I wonder, would the series work with only the triangle/polygon and completely devoid of Ichika and all the alien stuff? I'd say NO, it would become really dull with just the 4 in some countryside town and their love plot that has no special features - that's not how such stories work.

I'd even go as far as to think that people who rather enjoyed the "mundane" relationship (triangle) only did so because it was closely intertwined with, yet in contrast to the "special" relationship (alien stuff).

As for #12, I'm pretty satisifed with the ending, a 13th ep would be nice but having proof at the end that Ichika came back is enough for now. Best show in many seasons indeed.
Without the alien stuff? Of course it could work, Ichika could actually be a foreign exchange student [EDIT] as you later said [/EDIT], and Lemon just a troll, not a MiB-troll... this would spare them for half the plot-holes, and give them 2-3 episodes time to develop the triangle... But they need a writer that CAN write an original script for that

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-03-27 at 10:00.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 09:13   Link #1027
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

^

read my second post about it then...
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 09:21   Link #1028
Rei.K

Quote:
I never said anything about "space" stuff. That's why I explicitly only wrote "alien" because it covers more than just the "space alien" topic. As you mentioned, Ichika could've been just a foreigner to Japan triggering similar moments and creating almost an equal special feature but that wasn't what I was commenting on to begin with.
The point I was actually refering to is that I keep reading "I don't care about Kaito and Ichika" in this thread (hence me specifically phrasing "devoid of Ichika and all the alien stuff" ). It's not so much the dislike of the, admittedly, weak space/action part but rather the disregard to KaitoxIchika in general. It's almost like some people seem to forget that the main couple also had a proper romantic development before the "space arc" began. So my thought experiment is: Could this series function properly if there was no Ichika at all and consequently Kaito not having any romantic interests whatsoever, thus resulting in a total focus on the triangle?
Oh I see. My bad, that was a little misunderstanding indeed. Actually I'm with you on this.
Although I think the main couple failed to make itself as interesting as it could have been (especially Kaito being so bland), I do believe the appeal of the secondary chars and their relationship was heavily dependant on it, and thus couldn't have been made that exciting without it. So yeah, my personnal answer would be no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salitangibinasura View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
And yes, Kanna does deserve all the love in the world...
You sirs, are men of fine taste.
Eventhough Kanna clearly ended up being the odd one out in the end, I do think that's what made her character the most interesting. Isn't that part of growing up - getting over sentimental issues and learn to get over it. Something Kaito has yet to face. Don't worry about her, she'll be fine !

Last edited by Rei.K; 2012-03-27 at 09:32.
Rei.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 09:34   Link #1029
Thoguht

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
so here's my guess, we see Remon already designed a space ship
And therefore Earth now having interstellar travel capabilities, it could be recognized by the Federation and so Ichika could return without any problems.
Thoguht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 10:06   Link #1030
cyth
Banned

The Case For The Alien Subplot

First of all, it's not a subplot. Ichika and Kaito are the main couple, period. Ichika's hesitation came from the fact that she knew she'd have to eventually leave Earth. Why did the writers choose her to be an alien? Why didn't they choose her to be a foreign exchange student? Oh, maybe because Kuroda Yousuke isn't a Toradora fanboy, and the series was meant to be a nostalgia piece on Onegai Teacher.

I honestly don't know what else to say. The alien stuff felt natural because that's the type of story I was expecting. Shippers, on the other hand ... I bet you guys are all just butthurt because Kanna lost.

To conclude, NatsuMachi was a different kind of romance than Onegai Teacher. It didn't feel as surreal, it was more down to earth, Kaito wasn't an introverted guy. I liked it, I liked the nostalgia threads it pulled, I liked that it was based in the same universe as Onegai Teacher with meta commentary. I guess the meta commentary probably turned off some first time viewers, and I'm of the opinion that the story could have done without that, but aliens? Alien chicks are awesome, what are you guys even talking about.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 10:08   Link #1031
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
^

read my second post about it then...
I missed your suggestion, but the rest still stand, Ichika/Kaito main plot was the alien stuff, which puts it into comparison with Mizuho/Kai, and while the later worked as a source for reused dialogue and plot twists, as well as tricking viewers into watching the show... it also is screaming: "Not enough resources for an original plot"

I really don't get it, why pretend to be original anyway. On one hand they shafted the few originality they had, and on the other if they just remade Sensei (with modern production standards), the story at least would have flown better. In the end they couldn't decide and did a mix of both that excellent at neither

Dunno, the most memorable part ended up being Mio's nudism, which turned from a plot-line into fan-service

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
The Case For The Alien Subplot

First of all, it's not a subplot. Ichika and Kaito are the main couple, period. Ichika's hesitation came from the fact that she knew she'd have to eventually leave Earth. Why did the writers choose her to be an alien? Why didn't they choose her to be a foreign exchange student? Oh, maybe because Kuroda Yousuke isn't a Toradora fanboy, and the series was meant to be a nostalgia piece on Onegai Teacher.
No, it's just the main-plot's background, that has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the show... well except for the ending where they decided to animate that background, instead of the show we were watching for two and a half months... therefore it became a subplot

Quote:
I honestly don't know what else to say. The alien stuff felt natural because that's the type of story I was expecting. Shippers, on the other hand ... I bet you guys are all just butthurt because Kanna lost.
Heh? Everyone lost, everyone went back to how things were before Ichika/Lemon joined them!

Quote:
To conclude, NatsuMachi was a different kind of romance than Onegai Teacher. It didn't feel as surreal, it was more down to earth, Kaito wasn't an introverted guy. I liked it, I liked the nostalgia threads it pulled, I liked that it was based in the same universe as Onegai Teacher with meta commentary. I guess the meta commentary probably turned off some first time viewers, and I'm of the opinion that the story could have done without that, but aliens?
Indeed, Kaito was less developed than Kei, and acted unnaturally, if not psychotically, given how different he is in the first half of the show compared to the second. Otherwise, it pretty much either removed or toned down all the artistic and provoking elements from both Onegai to make something more consumable.

Quote:
Alien chicks are awesome, what are you guys even talking about.
Wow! that's equivalent to bestiality, since you know... they are not human (despite the looks)

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-03-27 at 10:19.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 10:15   Link #1032
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Yes because that totally makes sense.
Old 2012-03-27, 10:19   Link #1033
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Could this series function properly if there was no Ichika at all and consequently Kaito not having any romantic interests whatsoever, thus resulting in a total focus on the triangle?
No, I don't think so. I know I said that I don't care much about the two of them, but that doesn't mean I wish they're gone or anything. The presence of Ichika is certainly necessary, as she served as the impetus/catalyst for the story to start. Having her introduced Remon to the cast, and with her the ongoing plot of making the movie. Also, I'm pretty damn sure that without her the summer will just go on with Kaito being oblivious and the one-sided unrequited love went on until summer vacation is over.

There's also that Kaito's story is intertwined very much with Ichika, so without her he'll just be a boring cameraman imo. Even if you give a new motivation or story arc, once he realized that Kanna likes her, I think simply rejecting her because 'he's just not that into her' is a weak, boring excuse. So yeah, for multiple reasons I think Ichika's presence is necessary - not even necessary evil, it's not like I hate her or anything or that her alien story is all that bad or anything.
Old 2012-03-27, 12:20   Link #1034
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Yes because that totally makes sense.
I'm pretty sure you were the most vocal Kanna fanboy in this thread. You can't retort that, I'm afraid.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 12:42   Link #1035
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supah Em View Post

5/10 for the episode, 8/10 for the series.
Indeed, I feel the same. The last episode sucked, but overall the series was very nice.

I dont want to give the series a bad overall rating because of the ending. I learned not to expect good endings anymore, because there are maybe a handful of shows with a satisfying ending for me.

I noticed that animes are exceptionally good at building up suspence but usually fail at providing a good ending. Why that is so, I cant say. But maybe different people understand something else under a good ending, so it may just well be the simple: cant please everybody.

PS: Am I supposed to understand the strange shot of Ichika dressed in the souvenir jacket the way that she returned to earth after all? I didnt quite get that.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 12:57   Link #1036
Squarecrow
Supreme Ruler of Crowatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
PS: Am I supposed to understand the strange shot of Ichika dressed in the souvenir jacket the way that she returned to earth after all? I didnt quite get that.
Yes. During the summer after the one the show is set in, she comes back and they film a sequel movie.
Squarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 13:06   Link #1037
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you were the most vocal Kanna fanboy in this thread. You can't retort that, I'm afraid.
Retort to what? Retort to the fact that I'm a Kanna fanboy? No I guess I can't retort to that...

Or retort to the insane idea that all people who found the sci-fi aspects jarring are just butt hurt that Kanna lost?

Because I think I just did. And no, the fact that I'm a vocal Kanna fanboy doesn't actually disqualify from making that point.
Old 2012-03-27, 13:11   Link #1038
EroKing

10/10 for just this scene alone
Old 2012-03-27, 13:27   Link #1039
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post

10/10 for just this scene alone
Didn't watch the last 2 eps yet. But is it my twisted mind or does this scene looks like she is in the ... you know womb and things before her are you know what.
Old 2012-03-27, 13:30   Link #1040
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
you know womb and things before her are you know what.
What things? And there is nothing in front of the womb other than the cervix

EDIT: why am I responding to this? *Shakes her head*, I must be bored, hahaha
warita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romantic comedy, shounen