AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-08, 13:18   Link #201
sa547
*Author

Wow. This new gem packed quite a punch. And drool.

For Urabe's benefit, it's refreshing for me to hear a rather realistic voice of a typical high school girl. Not cute, but somewhat down-to-earth, a genuine girl-next-door kind of voice. Thumbs-up to Yoshitani... hers was aural sex (and when coupled up with fan-service, it becomes mind-blowing).

I like Tsubaki's dream sequences; reminds me of that one little daydream back at Another, but this time heck a lot surreal, and bigger.

Character design was, for me at least, a homage to the old-school, the kind you see often from the 90s period. But lots of sci-fi shoutouts, too, especially with Tsubaki's movie posters.

Gonna follow this. Probably the best thing I've seen since American Pie (and I remember faintly a movie starring Christina Ricci... yeah, Opposite of Sex).

Last edited by sa547; 2012-04-09 at 10:39.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 13:22   Link #202
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
Animated Noka = FTW. Can't wait to hear her speak, which probably won't be till later.
Erm.. You know she's actually Aoi Yamada, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Probably the best thing I've seen since American Pie.
Probably the best thing since sliced bread period.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 13:27   Link #203
sa547
*Author

Last time it was a toothbrush that has become a tool of titillation. Now it's drool.
Old 2012-04-08, 13:52   Link #204
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Erm.. You know she's actually Aoi Yamada, right?
Forgive my ignorance but who?
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 13:55   Link #205
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. I'm really glad that the saliva thing doesn't seem to have turned too many people off. Except for the pool effect, I thought they did a pretty good job getting across the possibility of it being attractive.

2. As usual, I like the untrained voice. However, it must be said that in pure seiyuu terms, she is very bad. There were moments when even I found her flat voice almost unlistenable. And I can defend Omigawa Chiaki.

3. However, as an actress, I thought she painted the strange character brilliantly well. A memorable performance.

3. I'm more or less current with the manga, and I have been losing some interest as we wander off into minor stories, but I think they can make a good one-kuur show. The anime, like the manga, has an "I can't quite explain it" charm. But I think Yoshitani Ayako can add something by giving us a better feeling of Urabe as a person.

4. Further on Yoshitani-san, she started in TV drama at age five and has been busy more or less ever since. Japanese Wikipedia lists her as having been in 35 TV dramas and 14 films. She is 20, like Yuuki Aoi, Hayami Saori, Kotobuki Minako, and Touyama Nao:

YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-04-09 at 13:00.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 14:22   Link #206
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
Forgive my ignorance but who?
I meant Yamada's VA from Working!~
Old 2012-04-08, 14:23   Link #207
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

I didn't know anything about this show before jumping into it other than the character design being sorta old-school looking and the fact I thought it looked great. So, after watching it, I'm seriously having trouble sorting my feelings about it. During the first half of the episode I was pretty much asking myself why exactly people came up with such an abnormal premise such as the whole drool thing, but at the same it was, in a way, somewhat "funny". However, the whole thing sorta grew on me as both Urabe and Akira actually started to interact with each other. They just have their own sort of weird (and somewhat disgusting) chemistry that carried this show forward and actually made me want to ignore the fact that I wasn't particularly fond of how spit was such a central theme of this....

Mind you, I'm still unsure if I'm able to do just that, but the confession scene surely intrigued me. The very very nice soundtrack set up such a tone there that, coupled with the whole weird voice thing, just made me wonder where exactly this show will be going next. It's like, watching that particular scene I didn't feel as if the show is trying to show how "moe" saliva is, but rather how weird and eerie this whole bizarre love story of those two can be. I... think I can get behind that. Maybe.

At the end of the day, though, all that I can think of is that I can't remember a single show that I've watched in the past years that got me so confused about it. Confused in a good way, I guess. I'll be tuning in again next week, and hopefully not be disappointed.
Old 2012-04-08, 15:13   Link #208
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I wouldn't mind the whole saliva thing if it was just Akira licking Urabe's finger. But do they really need to focus on Urabe's incredibly thick and viscous saliva? It's so icky...DX
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 15:39   Link #209
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Wow.

That was ... very well done.

I am absolutely pleased with the adaptation!

Am I the only one who thinks the visuals of the show remind me of older anime series? Somehow a little like ... let's see ... Hime-chan no Ribbon, for example? Which for me is a good thing, by the way....

Interesting ... Urabe's voice was not quite what I expected, but it "worked" for me, too.

This is going on my "actively following" list for sure!
Old 2012-04-08, 15:40   Link #210
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the visuals of the show remind me of older anime series? Somehow a little like ... let's see ... Hime-chan no Ribbon, for example? Which for me is a good thing, by the way....
Let me quite myself: The look of this series is very, very retro – I’m talking seriously old-school here. If you did a quick double-take you might almost think you were watching a Takahashi or Adachi adaptation from the 80’s – that’s how old-school the look is, both in terms of color and character design.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 15:46   Link #211
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Let me quote myself: The look of this series is very, very retro – I’m talking seriously old-school here. If you did a quick double-take you might almost think you were watching a Takahashi or Adachi adaptation from the 80’s – that’s how old-school the look is, both in terms of color and character design.
Heheheheh ... looks like we agree on something again.

I take it you also liked it then?

*Heads off to check Enzo's blog page*

Hmm ... sure enough.
Old 2012-04-08, 15:49   Link #212
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Heheheheh ... looks like we agree on something again.

I take it you also liked it then?

*Heads off to check Enzo's blog page*

Hmm ... sure enough.
"Liked" doesn't cover it. "Bowled over" is probably closer to the mark.
Old 2012-04-08, 16:34   Link #213
Metalsnakezero
Trio Finale!

A lot of people are giving it positive impressions. Talk about a sleeper hit.
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic176117_1.gif
Metalsnakezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 16:53   Link #214
judasmartel
*Author

And if they play their cards right, this MGX adaptation could well be one of the best anime this season.
Old 2012-04-08, 17:41   Link #215
Jerseykid

This is not a criticism of this anime, I enjoyed the first episode well enough. But is it considered to be too boring in Japan now to have the romantic adventures between people who are normal?
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 18:01   Link #216
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
This is not a criticism of this anime, I enjoyed the first episode well enough. But is it considered to be too boring in Japan now to have the romantic adventures between people who are normal?
If you factor out one partner being an alien, I think Ano Natsu comes pretty close.
Old 2012-04-08, 18:06   Link #217
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

If you mean just anime, I honestly do not know ... but afaik the manga industry is still awash, live and kicking with all kinds of high school romances.
Old 2012-04-08, 18:28   Link #218
judasmartel
*Author

Yeah, and annoying Moe Moe Fanservice, too.
Old 2012-04-08, 19:35   Link #219
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Wow, seeing the subs made me think, wow, when Urabe told Tsubaki about that voice in her head telling her that Tsubaki would be the one that she would have sex with, any one of us would not have reacted so calmly like him. Some of us would be in our heads thinking, THANK YOU HIDDEN VOICE!>V<. This may be one of those shows, MAYBE, the only show (focus on the maybe which means not certain) that can talk about the topic of sex and it doesn't necessarily lead to a sex scene.
Old 2012-04-08, 19:40   Link #220
Aesthetic Shampoo

That was so different and so great. Nothing else to it.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, seinen