AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2021-02-02, 18:25   Link #1
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

AnimeSuki Choice Award Winners 2020

Winners of the 2020 AnimeSuki Choice Awards!

A massive thanks for those that participated and a special thanks to felix for the counting.

Feel free to give feedback.

TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

TL;DR…

Previous Winners:
2019 Winners
2018 Winners
2017 Winners
2016 Winners
2015 Winners
2014 Winners
2013 Winners
2012 Winners
2011 Winners
2010 Winners
2009 Winners
2008 Winners
2007 Winners
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-02, 21:09   Link #2
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Decent results. Far better spread than what came from Reddit, infinitely better than whatever comes from the Crunchyroll awards. I can at least respect most the winners here and a few of my voted titles got some.

That said, I doubt I'll come back to 2020 any time soon. Nothing reached 9/10 territory for me and it's probably a long time to the last time a year ended up like that for me.

Also that this was the one year where I ever gave any Western animation title a 10. Harley Quinn animated was just divine.

Thanks again to Haak and felix, as well as the voters.
Old 2021-02-02, 21:13   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
That said, I doubt I'll come back to 2020 any time soon.
I liked first half of 2020.
Old 2021-02-03, 00:06   Link #4
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
That said, I doubt I'll come back to 2020 any time soon. Nothing reached 9/10 territory for me and it's probably a long time to the last time a year ended up like that for me.
Yeah, there were some good anime, I guess, but nothing that stays so much in memory.
Like, I can go "Hey, you know how Akiba Strip is so awesome!" or "Damn, Guilty Crown was the worst thing ever" and you know, stuff that you will remember for more than a few days after it finishes airing.
But none of that.
At the most, I guess Gibiate will stay in my memories for a long time for how bad and funny it was.

Quote:
Far better spread than what came from Reddit, infinitely better than whatever comes from the Crunchyroll awards.
I wouldn't want to imagine.
Oh and hey, Crunchyroll. The guys that are responsible for Ex-Arms!

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-03, 00:20   Link #5
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Decent results this year. I could have complain about best female lead and best female VA choice but whatever.

As for the year itself. I personally had a few big surprises in Winter and Fall seasons but Spring and Summer were lackluster for me. So decent year overall. 2021 Winter looks way more boring for now.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2021-02-03 at 02:38.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-03, 01:59   Link #6
Dawnstorm

I'd agree with Nachtwandler. Winter and Fall were the best seasons. Then there's <i>Great Pretender</i>, which due to the Netflix release schedule doesn't feel like a seasonal show. My clear favourite show of the year is <i>Hanako-kun</i>, so I'm glad it got the recognition it deserved.

I found it hard to vote for Tonikawa under the genre sections. I wanted to, because I really liked the show, but it's more a package deal and doesn't really take any of the categories, for me. This sort of things happen to me more and more as I grow older. Wanting to vote a show I really like but never really finding the category.

I have a tough time voting in the sound direction category. I don't have the "professional ear", so when they're doing a good job or even a great job, I probably won't notice. It's just part of the atmosphere.

I'm really happy with the winners. It strikes me that 2020 really wasn't that great a year for sports shows, when it comes to new franchises. Out of all the candidates, only Ahiru no Sora was new to anime, and it ranked last.

I personally have a clear voting bias for new shows; I think it might be wanting to draw attention to shows that need it? So when I can only vote for or nominate sequels I'm always a little disappointed, no matter how good the show was. (And Chihayafuru's third season was really great, much better than the second season for me. A worthy winner... but a sequel.)

I'm thinking of going back to ID:Invaded, which I dropped before the first episode was through. The show's aesthetics really aren't my thing, but I've been hearing good things about it, and now it won the SF category, too. I'm not really highly motivated, but it's something I'm keeping in the back of my mind for when I'm bored.

I'm pretty happy with the winners.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-03, 04:51   Link #7
Dextro
He Without a Title

Interspecies reviews is truly the definition of a guilty pleasure. Sasuga minna-san!

Anyway good to see Bofuri getting a shout out and Misfit of a Demon Academy as well. They might not be classics but they were very entertaining over this very atypical year we just finished.

On the other hand it's disappointing that, with so many good movies this year, not many of them showed up in the final results. Promare would 100% get a "soundtrack" award from me if one had existed and the Konosuba movie might be flawed but it's funny as hell.
Old 2021-02-03, 08:10   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It was a really down year for anime, only partly because of pandemic delays, but this is a nice batch of winners. The best show won the most important category (Best Series), and I was especially happy to see Harada-sensei win for best side character. He carried Chihayafuru this season.

My only niggle is one I've mentioned before - I just don't think it's fair to pit TV series against theatrical films in the production categories. How is any TV series supposed to compete against Tenki no Ko with its budget?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-03, 08:17   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thanks a lot for organizing this as usual.

I'm happy with most of the results. My only complaint would be GochiUsa ending up last in Relaxing and Carefree.

Oh, and the female VA award. I love Aoi Yuuki, but this didn't seem like a particularly strong year for her. I was also puzzled Miyuki Sawashiro was nominated since she was on maternity leave for most of the year and only had minor roles as far as I can remember. The one who impressed me the most last year would be Ayane Sakura as Rin in Blade of the Immortal, she delivered an incredible performance. I'd place Tomoyo Kurosawa second for her role in Akudama Drive, but I guess the one who had the overall strongest year was Inori Minase (Somali, Chino, the sleeping princess, Hestia, etc...).

Male VA, on the other hand, I would have been shocked if anyone other than him had won.
Old 2021-02-03, 15:24   Link #10
Blaat

As always thank you Haak and felix for or hosting it, setting up the website and doing all the hard background work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
I'm thinking of going back to ID:Invaded, which I dropped before the first episode was through.
Yeah same here, I dropped it after two episodes I think, so I was a bit surprised to see it do so well. Definitely will have to give it another shot when I have the free time.
Old 2021-02-03, 16:22   Link #11
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Oh, and the female VA award. I love Aoi Yuuki, but this didn't seem like a particularly strong year for her. I was also puzzled Miyuki Sawashiro was nominated since she was on maternity leave for most of the year and only had minor roles as far as I can remember. The one who impressed me the most last year would be Ayane Sakura as Rin in Blade of the Immortal, she delivered an incredible performance. I'd place Tomoyo Kurosawa second for her role in Akudama Drive, but I guess the one who had the overall strongest year was Inori Minase (Somali, Chino, the sleeping princess, Hestia, etc...).

Pretty much agree with this. I did forget about Yuki Aoi's role in Rent-a-Girlfriend, which was a pretty good performance. Still, overall she didn't really have any standout perfomances.

I'm thinking Miyuki Sawashiro is here for Gegege no Kitaro, which wasn't eligible for two years and now finally is. That would give her momentum, and she was a splendid Kitaro. I can understand this.

I think people may have different philosophies voting for this category. I'm generally voting for overall yearly performance rather than "best performance of the year", but outstanding performance of a single episode can influence this. Other people might just vote based on favourite role? It's a very open category that way.

I personally voted for Inori Minase first, based on overall performance.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-03, 16:30   Link #12
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

Male VA, on the other hand, I would have been shocked if anyone other than him had won.
I mean, he is in every series airing so yeah, that's a big advantage.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-03, 16:38   Link #13
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

His work in ID: Invaded alone was enough for me. That said, Whenever I hear his voice, I always think of the chief engineer in Hakumei & Mikochi because I've rarely seen a better fit of character and VA.
Old 2021-02-03, 17:21   Link #14
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Pretty much agree with this. I did forget about Yuki Aoi's role in Rent-a-Girlfriend, which was a pretty good performance. Still, overall she didn't really have any standout perfomances.

I'm thinking Miyuki Sawashiro is here for Gegege no Kitaro, which wasn't eligible for two years and now finally is. That would give her momentum, and she was a splendid Kitaro. I can understand this.

I think people may have different philosophies voting for this category. I'm generally voting for overall yearly performance rather than "best performance of the year", but outstanding performance of a single episode can influence this. Other people might just vote based on favourite role? It's a very open category that way.

I personally voted for Inori Minase first, based on overall performance.
Same here. I do nto vote for just a VA a I liked or the one that had one cool rolew ina year. I judge general performance that year.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-03, 19:45   Link #15
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Ah, that makes sense. It is a major role.
Old 2021-02-03, 21:11   Link #16
Wandering Soul

I'm fine with most of these results. A few series did not win categories I hope they did, but they came close and lost to good competition. Seems like I didn't really miss out on anything this year.

Thanks to Haak and felix for putting this all together as always.
Old 2021-02-04, 13:29   Link #17
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

All I can say is that this site always had very questionable winners and this year seems to be no exception. At least I hope so, since none of these anime look any fun to watch, with a few exceptions and I'd very much like it for 2020 to have some good anime.
Old 2021-02-06, 07:08   Link #18
grecefar

Well seeing the winners this gives me a reason to finally watch golden kamuy.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-03, 14:02   Link #19
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

I rarely come to these neck of the woods but I'm glad I did since I wouldn't know about that acca OVA otherwise.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choice awards