AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2021-02-28, 15:25   Link #161
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I thought samurai were supposed to follow a code of honor. Lying about the 2020 election doesn't seem to fit.
If we go by the romanticized version of The Soul of Japan (1900) that would be truth. But imo Samurai were the medieval version of Judge Dredd, there is a reason why no one in his right mind would ask to return to those days where there were no police officers or the rule of law.

Gemki Fujii seems no different from the average Trump cultist, he either believes all the lies or isdelusional enough to thinks those lies are the path to righteousness.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-28, 20:45   Link #162
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

These right-wing bushido revivalist types have always been an ugly little subset of modern Japanese culture. Let's not forget Mishima Yukio, who was so wrapped up in the fantasy that he forced his assistant to behead him and then commit seppuku.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-28, 20:52   Link #163
Key Board
Carbon

It seems they hate China a lot, and are convinced that Trump is the only “cure” because he tweets mean things about China

You can probably blame the later part on Fallun Gong and Happy Science cult on selling the idea.

You live in Japan, so you probably know more. How much influence does Happy Science have. Are we looking at a another Aum in the making?

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-28, 21:42   Link #164
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

As an outsider it's hard for me to say, but I would equate their influence roughly to the Scientologists in the U.S.. Most people find them weird and scary but they have a few high-profile devotees, some media influence, and shit-tons of money.
Old 2021-03-01, 04:18   Link #165
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I get it. The Republican Party in such in name only; they're better calling themselves the Fascist party, but unfortunately associating everything surrounding Hitler is best found only on the fringe side of things (there are definite spots on the Internet where the Nazis are actually seen as the good guys).

But when the Democrats prove their Republican-given nickname of Do-Nothing Democrats... those like myself lose faith in politics completely. The latest example? "Not all the Democrats want a $15 minimum wage".

As a comment on the Internet put it... the majority of senators in the party still think we're in the 90's where you can work in good faith with the Republicans.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-01, 12:17   Link #166
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
The Administration has located the parents of 105 of the 611 separated children reported last month. That strikes me as pretty speedy and not likely to continue at this pace. One tendentious issue is whether to allow parents outside the US to return and be united with their children. Once in the US, they would likely apply for asylum and be able to stay while their cases are adjudicated.
The Administration has decided. Reunited families can return to their countries of origin or remain in the United States.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...unite-n1259141

Expect to hear wild howls of dismay on the right.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-01, 20:15   Link #167
Key Board
Carbon

As with the student debt cancellation,

I'll believe it when I see it.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-01, 23:13   Link #168
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
The Administration has decided. Reunited families can return to their countries of origin or remain in the United States.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...unite-n1259141

Expect to hear wild howls of dismay on the right.
And sullen silence on the left.
Old 2021-03-03, 16:29   Link #169
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
If you can't produce a quote from yourself criticizing when Donald Trump attacked Syria's airport four years ago, this quote amounts to sheer hypocrisy.

For the record, I think War Powers Resolution resolution should be outlawed.
I have said nothing about my position on either Biden or Trump bombing Syria, the statements by Biden's press sec do not require me editorializing.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-03, 17:21   Link #170
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

So CPAC has ended and them having a golden statue they think will bring them prosperity did not incite the ire of the evangelicals? they are christians in nothing but name.

Seems trump does not need to make his own political party, we can just ask the GOP to harass anyone that opposes him and they will gladly oblige like the spineless cowards they are. But expect no gratitude from trump, anyone here remember the name of the first GOP senator to support trump as a candidate? He is already history and so will be the rest of the appeasers!

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Winston Churchill
Old 2021-03-03, 20:55   Link #171
cyberdemon

Have to say, I am terrified of the potential tomorrow could hold...
Old 2021-03-04, 06:33   Link #172
Sheba
Must Bury Qiqi

*pikachu surprised face*

https://www.newsweek.com/mcconnell-o...orking-1573641
Old 2021-03-04, 17:11   Link #173
The Green One

What? You can live forever on $1400? Well clearly we've all been living wrong somehow all this time. Man oh man where would we be without good old Mcconnell to explain the facts of life to us.

Damn thinking for myself sure is hard.

Sheesh do these politicians even think before they speak or do they just spit out the first stray thought that pops into their heads?
Old 2021-03-04, 17:41   Link #174
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
What? You can live forever on $1400? Well clearly we've all been living wrong somehow all this time. Man oh man where would we be without good old Mcconnell to explain the facts of life to us.

Damn thinking for myself sure is hard.

Sheesh do these politicians even think before they speak or do they just spit out the first stray thought that pops into their heads?
The really sad part isn't the politicians and their bullshit but those than agree with them or than are easily convinced by them.
Old 2021-03-04, 20:25   Link #175
Ithekro
Gamilas Rises

Those that he might be worried about are either already gaming the system, or are on social security or assisted living programs already. Everyone else is either still making up for lost hours of work, or are out of work still due to the current emergency.

Plus, depending on the state, that could be between two weeks and a month worth of pay, if full time, or part time with a higher minimum wage.

Besides, it just mean the IRS won't have to refund nearly as much to low income tax payers next year, like with this year.
Old 2021-03-04, 22:37   Link #176
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

He's not actually worried about anybody, and virtually nobody is "gaming the system" - that a race-driven right-wing myth. He's just expressing his party's visceral opposition to any distribution of wealth to non-millionaires/billionaires.
Old 2021-03-05, 11:33   Link #177
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
He's just expressing his party's visceral opposition to any distribution of wealth to non-millionaires/billionaires.
That is only the excuse, the existential threat to the GOP is the democrats actually doing their work, which hasn't been the case with the GOP, since at least their last two presidents were morons which only did power grabs, but didn't accomplish anything that improved the life people at main street (you know, the ones that vote). McConnell is trying to stop a total wipeout in 2022, as I have said before, he will do anything within his grasp to make the democrats look incompetent, which is quite difficult since donnie lowered the bar so much that even dubya started to look good!
Old 2021-03-05, 16:07   Link #178
coded321
He Who Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
McConnell is trying to stop a total wipeout in 2022, as I have said before, he will do anything within his grasp to make the democrats look incompetent, which is quite difficult since donnie lowered the bar so much that even dubya started to look good!
Honestly, judging by how democrats have been handling the coronavirus relief package so far, democrats are setting themselves up for a 2022 Wipeout all on their own, Moscow mitch doesn't even need to lift a finger.
coded321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-05, 20:17   Link #179
GDB

Sad part is that people will look at it as 1 or 2 Dems didn't want to pass it, so they're all bad. But the 50 GQP members who also didn't want to pass it are fine because media told us it was the Dems' fault.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-05, 20:51   Link #180
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The Democrats gained nine seats in both the House and the Senate in 1934, contrary to the usual anti-incumbent effect we see in off-years. I think 1934 is a pretty interesting comparison to 2022. Partisan alignments were strong then as well, but the Democrats increased their margins by implementing New Deal policies. Seems to me that Biden and company are hoping to see similar results after defeating COVID and putting people back to work. Here's one projection of the likely effects of the $1.9 T Biden plan:

Images
size
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Much of the improvement in the economy occurs before the 2022 election.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-fr...iscal-package/
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote