AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2021-08-28, 08:04   Link #3441
DragonOsman
Dragon King

The official English translations have no room for honorifics, as they don't belong in the English language. English only has the articles "Mr.", "Ms." or "Mrs." for people, so they can only use those.

I agree about it being bad if people lose interest in this story because of Volume 16 taking too long to come out.
Old 2021-08-28, 08:16   Link #3442
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmolita View Post
Its understandable that they are delaying it for the illustrator. But even the author is starting to give spoilers, I really hope they keep this release date because vol 15 did not end on a cliffhanger (It set up for the Mediath showdown and Haruka has already gone to do her thing) and if people loose interest it will hurt their sales. I'd hate to see that happen to such a good story Also, I don't know why but the yen press translation seems a little weird in places and I hate that it does not use honorifics, the Japanese version seems to be more detailed and to the point.

Yen Press doesn't use honorifics in general except for some series like Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki.

Makes it so awkward to read their series sometimes when you have school kids calling one another Mr. / Miss.
Old 2021-08-28, 17:43   Link #3443
DragonOsman
Dragon King

I've noticed they keep the honorifics when translating manga. Trinity Seven, for example.

But yeah, seeing school kids use Mr/Miss when talking to each other is distracting. But you still shouldn't have Japanese honorifics in an English book, which might be a rule Yen Press (and all other official translators) follow. Though in that regard, it's also curious how come they leave honorifics in for some series.
Old 2021-08-28, 17:49   Link #3444
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

I think they leave in honorifics for series where that plays a strong role.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-28, 21:10   Link #3445
carmolita

For this series, I think the honorifics should not have been translated and left as is along with some other words (not everything needs a translation), maybe put a footnote for those who don't understand its meaning but it's so distracting. In the Japanese book ayato is clearly calling Haruka nee-san which is so endearing (when he says it) and definitive of their relationship (it creates that close distance so you know how he feels about her), but in the yen press version they have him saying Haruka or haru, it's odd because it's usually saya who calls her haru. I also miss the minor details, in the Japanese version (iirc) when Haruka's hurt it says ayato looked over her twice for blood/ saw no blood, in the yen press version it says he checked her over for injuries and saw no blood. For a book that expensive I want all of my minor details. I want to see the desperation in their actions. So I've been buying both the Japanese novel and the English one. Now I have to wonder which is the best publishing house when it comes to translations.

It looks like the final relationships are going to be either an
Ayato x Julis or an Ayato x open-ended anyone aka picking no one leaving everyone as a possibility since Julius also says she wants an answer to her confession after everything is over which is what everyone else wants for themselves as well.

Since Haruka left to investigate and it is not there with the others, My guess is she is going to catch up to Mediath first..can't wait to see how this all plays out

Last edited by carmolita; 2021-08-28 at 21:21.
carmolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-29, 16:17   Link #3446
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

I prefer common sense with honorifics.

If the series doesn't need it, leave it out, but don't just blanket translate them into Mr. / Miss. Use common sense.
Old 2021-08-29, 16:45   Link #3447
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I prefer common sense with honorifics.

If the series doesn't need it, leave it out, but don't just blanket translate them into Mr. / Miss. Use common sense.
After the Nagatoro "Sus" controversy, I gave up on common sense from the audience reading these works.

I'm not gonna blame anyone for translating things like that when you have people who prefer Google Translate to common sense.

Old 2021-08-30, 17:50   Link #3448
DragonOsman
Dragon King

@carmolita: I'm hoping for a Julis OTP ending for this series, especially if the only other option is an open-ending. I'd prefer a True Harem if that's possible, though.

I agree with Carmolita about minor details in the translation.
Old 2021-09-07, 08:15   Link #3449
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Didn't the latest volume got push back to 2022, right? That makes it what, three years since the last one came out?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-07, 18:34   Link #3450
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I want to get this series done and over with, much like Infinite Stratos.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-07, 20:04   Link #3451
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Didn't the latest volume got push back to 2022, right? That makes it what, three years since the last one came out?
Volume 15 came out in Dec 2019.
Old 2021-10-04, 10:13   Link #3452
AP24

https://mfbunkoj.jp/product/322003001225.html

They said before it was going to be March 2022, but now it’s November this year
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-06, 14:23   Link #3453
AP24

Sylvia is on the cover. Volume will be out around 25th this month.
Old 2021-11-09, 02:52   Link #3454
Sekhmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post

Sylvia is on the cover. Volume will be out around 25th this month.
Best girl is on the cover. Knowing she won't end up with Ayato makes me sad. I hope there won't be any delays again.
Sekhmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-09, 06:02   Link #3455
AP24

Bad news is there will be only few pics in the volume or maybe none at all
Old 2021-11-09, 08:49   Link #3456
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Guess that means the issue was the illustrator then...?

Old 2021-11-09, 09:33   Link #3457
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Guess that means the issue was the illustrator then...?
Yes, okiura had been very sick for a long time, hence the constant delays for the last few volumes and the illustration quality going down. They had thought about releasing the last few volumes without illustrations but ultimately decided to wait for okiura to get better enough to do more drawings.

On the author's twitter account, they mentioned that the publisher may want this to be the last delay and they'll have to think of what to do going forward.
Old 2021-11-09, 09:35   Link #3458
AP24

Yeah it was confirmed in author’s tweet the illustrator’s health was not good. Author asked the editors to wait for the illustrations but they couldn’t postpone any longer.
Old 2022-02-06, 02:56   Link #3459
carmolita

I got vol 16 when it came out in 11/2021, but have yet to read it, there are no pics in the book . but understandable since the illustrator was in bad health. Is there any news on the further release of vol 17?
carmolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-06, 10:53   Link #3460
Silvertail

So that's why no ones posted any illustrations of volume 16. Well, when you finally get the chance to read it, can you please tell us about it?
Silvertail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate history, fantasy, harem, school life