Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-18, 12:45   Link #221
ShinAkuma135
King of Beasts

Send a message via AIM to ShinAkuma135
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
While this is true, I think it's important to keep in mind that Byakuya was dealing with two different things that Kenpachi didn't have to worry about during his fight w/ Ichigo -- Bankai & especially Hichigo. So even though Byakuya went all out during his fight (when compared to kenpachi) we can't deny that Byakuya was facing an Ichigo that was far stronger than the Ichigo Ken fought. So I think it's still a hard call. They definitely fought the same opponent, but that same opponent wasn't at the same level during each of those fights.

Personally, I think Byakuya is on par w/ Kenpachi. That's one battle I could easily see coming to a complete stalemate. Especially if Zaraki is able to blow away and defend himself from Byakuya's shikai and bankai using nothing but his reiatsu. Ken would have a hard time catching one of the fastest captains, while Byakuya might have a hard time actually hurting one of the toughest captains. The fight would probably end in the same way it did against Ichigo -- one final clash where Zaraki simply exerts all of his energy into one final attack while Byakuya charges back w/ Hakuteiken.

It'd be great if fillers could focus on stupid stuff like this IMO.

that might be true...but there's still part of me that says that zaraki would end up winning at the end. if his bankai ends up being kidou based OMG it'll be insane.
Old 2009-06-18, 13:09   Link #222
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well , i want to say that a comparison with Ichigo battle doesn't count because we all know that he's the main character and the powerboost is always here . So we can leave this character .(not interesting character in my opinion)
Old 2009-06-18, 13:47   Link #223
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinAkuma135 View Post
that might be true...but there's still part of me that says that zaraki would end up winning at the end.
Fair enough. I wouldn't deny such a likely possibility.
Old 2009-06-20, 20:45   Link #224
Atreus79
The Crazy Samurai

Confirmation

I'm here to verify that the power graphs are canon. I live in Yokohama and I bought this same book it's from. This is a Character book from Tite Kubo himself, and Therefore canon.

About Zaraki, while overall he is not the strongest Captain, in sheer Swordplay, he would own most of the other Captains.

Zaraki is based on Miyomoto Mushashi, the most famous Samurai of all, who actually killed the Samurai that Byakuya was based on, Sasaki Kojiro(the second most famous at the time).

All of the Captains were based on famous Samurai, Myths, or like Ukitake and Kyraku (Ukio from Samurai Showdown, and Haomaru from Gekka no Kenshi -Eng. The last blade.)
Old 2009-06-20, 20:53   Link #225
Atreus79
The Crazy Samurai

Also, in real life Sasaki Kojiro specialized in flashy techniques much like Byakuya. He was in the middle of performing his famous "Swallow Cut" when Musashi struck him down with a "men"
Cut.

I Believe that a fight between the Captains may follow the same pattern if Byaiuya doesn't act quickly enough in pulling out his Bankai.
Old 2009-06-20, 21:23   Link #226
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreus79 View Post
I'm here to verify that the power graphs are canon. I live in Yokohama and I bought this same book it's from. This is a Character book from Tite Kubo himself, and Therefore canon.

About Zaraki, while overall he is not the strongest Captain, in sheer Swordplay, he would own most of the other Captains.

Zaraki is based on Miyomoto Mushashi, the most famous Samurai of all, who actually killed the Samurai that Byakuya was based on, Sasaki Kojiro(the second most famous at the time).

All of the Captains were based on famous Samurai, Myths, or like Ukitake and Kyraku (Ukio from Samurai Showdown, and Haomaru from Gekka no Kenshi -Eng. The last blade.)
Quote:
Also, in real life Sasaki Kojiro specialized in flashy techniques much like Byakuya. He was in the middle of performing his famous "Swallow Cut" when Musashi struck him down with a "men"
Cut.

I Believe that a fight between the Captains may follow the same pattern if Byaiuya doesn't act quickly enough in pulling out his Bankai.

How is Zaraki even remotely based on Mushashi? Musashi wasn't a mindless killing machine bent on gaining pleasure via fighting.

Zaraki's theme is to attack first, think later...whereas Musashi would actually carefully plan out his strategy before engaging in battle. Hell, Zaraki would've considered Musashi's tactics distasteful or even cowardly. The two are almost total opposites.

As for your other analogies...you are really really stretching it.
Old 2009-06-20, 21:40   Link #227
Atreus79
The Crazy Samurai

Actually Tite Kubo is quoted as saying that Kenpachi was based on Musashi.

You obviousely don't know much about Zaraki. He is often shown to accurately identify his opponnents, once pointing out the only two Captains that feared Death, and prodding Ichinoise's inner thoughts. Kenpachi is the type of Warrior that is much sharper than he looks.

As for Musashi, he killed his first opponent when he was 13, and many of his most famous victories came from "on the spot "brainstorming" (with two notable exceptions; showing up late two piss off his opponents, and whittling a bokuto out of a boat oar.)

If you actually checked out my profile, you would noticed that I speak and write in Japanese. I got my information from the source
Old 2009-06-20, 21:43   Link #228
Atreus79
The Crazy Samurai

Actually, I didn't make any analogies.

I read Kubo's Character book in Japanese, and quoted what he said himself.
I suggest you actually know what you are talking about.
Old 2009-06-20, 21:44   Link #229
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Actually Tite Kubo is quoted as saying that Kenpachi was based on Musashi.

You obviousely don't know much about Zaraki. He is often shown to accurately identify his opponnents, once pointing out the only two Captains that feared Death, and prodding Ichinoise's inner thoughts. Kenpachi is the type of Warrior that is much sharper than he looks.

As for Musashi, he killed his first opponent when he was 13, and many of his most famous victories came from "on the spot "brainstorming" (with two notable exceptions; showing up late two piss off his opponents, and whittling a bokuto out of a boat oar.)

If you actually checked out my profile, you would noticed that I speak and write in Japanese. I got my information from the source
I don't care if Kubo thinks Zaraki is based on Musashi. Being able to identify your opponents is not the same as carefully planning out your battles/strategies. Almost every captain in Bleach is able to do the former. Zaraki is famous for not doing the latter...whereas Musashi IS famous for doing just that.

And the fact you speak and write in Japanese doesn't mean a thing either. Just because someone speaks and writes in English doesn't automatically make them a historian on Anglo Saxons.
Old 2009-06-20, 21:46   Link #230
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Actually, I didn't make any analogies.

I read Kubo's Character book in Japanese, and quoted what he said himself.
I suggest you actually know what you are talking about.

And you're just regurgitating + taking for granted everything Kubo says...even though it plainly makes no sense half the time. Hell, the plot of Bleach stopped making sense 100 chapters ago.

I can write a book about a short Caucasian female who sucks at basketball...and then say she is based on Michael Jordan.
Old 2009-06-20, 21:54   Link #231
Atreus79
The Crazy Samurai

As for your interpretation of Musashi, Whether or not Kubo's interpretation is accurate according to you is irrelevant.
He is the inspiration for Kenpachi.

As for my other analogies, please do your homework.

I study only from the source.

Also, note that I live here, get paid by the Navy to translate Japanese, and I only speak to my Wife Miyuki in Japanese.
Old 2009-06-20, 21:58   Link #232
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
As for your interpretation of Musashi, Whether or not Kubo's interpretation is accurate according to you is irrelevant.
He is the inspiration for Kenpachi.
As for my other analogies, please do your homework.
I study only from the source.
Also, note that I live here, get paid by the Navy to translate Japanese, and I only speak to my Wife Miyuki in Japanese.
Yes, you're in the navy, was deployed to Japan, learned Japanese, and married a Japanese wife......so now you think you're an enlightened expert on Japanese history and we're all ignorant state-side Americans.
Old 2009-06-20, 22:04   Link #233
Atreus79
The Crazy Samurai

Musasahi also was capable of dying in battle each time, whereas Kenpachi rarely finds an opponent

Capable of giving him a real challenge. If Musashi were in Kenpachi's tier of strength, I believe that they would be similiar in approach.

Have you even studied Musashi for real??

He was a big man with skin atophy, appearing disfigured much as Kenpachi, and he loved battle, until he reformed and became Shinsetsuna( -Kanji meaning"the one who gives life, not to be confused with the Hirigana meaning "that was nice" empathetically).
Old 2009-06-20, 22:07   Link #234
Atreus79
The Crazy Samurai

No, I'm just letting you know that there is more information on the subject than what is seeping through to the states.

Actually, I feel Mushashi was a Barbarian( He didn't bath as to be caught unawares, and was extremely rude.)
Old 2009-06-20, 22:10   Link #235
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Musasahi also was capable of dying in battle each time, whereas Kenpachi rarely finds an opponent

Capable of giving him a real challenge. If Musashi were in Kenpachi's tier of strength, I believe that they would be similiar in approach.

Have you even studied Musashi for real??

He was a big man with skin atophy, appearing disfigured much as Kenpachi, and he loved battle, until he reformed and became Shinsetsuna( -Kanji meaning"the one who gives life, not to be confused with the Hirigana meaning "that was nice" empathetically).
You're just cherry picking similarities.

Are you are ignoring obvious differences such as:
1. Zaraki is bloodthirsty, Musashi was not

2. Zaraki doesn't use strategy, Musashi is a famous strategist

3. Zaraki doesn't plan out battles beforehand, Musashi does

4. Zaraki doesn't write books (is he even literate?), Musashi wrote famous novels on battle tactics

5. Zaraki mainly uses brute force and rarely uses kendo (if he even can), whereas Musashi is an extremely skilled swordsmen

6. Zaraki doesn't do anything that can be considered cowardly and only uses straight forward attacks, whereas Musashi uses the environment to his advantage or jerry rigs weapons that gives him an advantage (Zaraki would've considered that cowardly)

7. Zaraki despises anything other than fighting, whereas Musashi was famous for art and calligraphy (Zaraki would've considered that girly)

I can go on and on...
Old 2009-06-20, 22:14   Link #236
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
No, I'm just letting you know that there is more information on the subject than what is seeping through to the states.

Actually, I feel Mushashi was a Barbarian( He didn't bath as to be caught unawares, and was extremely rude.)
lol, right...I doubt a naval base in Japan has more information on historical figures, then say, an East Coast university with an entire section on East Asian history...

Being in the states doesn't mean I have any less access to information about Musashi. Unless the Japanese are hiding information, then any historical text on Musashi can be found on the internet or a decent public library...ie library of Congress.
Old 2009-06-20, 22:18   Link #237
Atreus79
The Crazy Samurai

Musashi was a freak of strength, that devoured men on the battlefield, like a demon.

He killed 60 men in one drawn- out fight, and killed many others with only a training bokuto.

He didn't represent the tenets of Samurai culture.

In American pop culture, we glorified him as a great hero, much like Hercules from Greek mythology. Hercules wasn't a hero, but a monster. This is just another example a likewise situation.

Kubo tite invisioned Kenpachi much like Musashi really was; a Barbaric, yet complex individual.
Old 2009-06-20, 22:24   Link #238
Atreus79
The Crazy Samurai

Who said Naval Base?

I work on one, not live on one.

I bought the book of five rings from shibuya.

Also, Miyomoto's long Bokuto did not give him a cowardly advantage. He made it to stand a chance of surviving Kojiro's No-Dachi, Monohoshizao!(lit-clothes drying pole).

Also, I am a skilled practitioner of Kenjutsu, and I think the prospect of fighting 60 men at once to be anything but cowardly
Old 2009-06-20, 22:28   Link #239
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Musashi was a freak of strength, that devoured men on the battlefield, like a demon.

He killed 60 men in one drawn- out fight, and killed many others with only a training bokuto.

He didn't represent the tenets of Samurai culture.

In American pop culture, we glorified him as a great hero, much like Hercules from Greek mythology. Hercules wasn't a hero, but a monster. This is just another example a likewise situation.

Kubo tite invisioned Kenpachi much like Musashi really was; a Barbaric, yet complex individual.
cough...cough...exaggeration...cough

As for barbarian? Hardly. He might've killed a lot of opponents in duels, but he was capable of calligraphy and art, and was a follower of Confucianism, Buddhism, etc

As for the tenets of samurai culture, the tenets kept changing so there really isn't a set standard. Most knights in Europe never followed the tenants of chivalry either...and they got half of their chivalry-ideology from the Muslims, who they considered heathens.

Zaraki is just a very strong, violence-loving thug who is very good at fighting.

Musashi is a very skilled, and very intelligent strategist who was sometimes unrefined but still quite cultured.
Old 2009-06-20, 22:28   Link #240
Atreus79
The Crazy Samurai

Musashi was never known to be a coward.

I do not know how you got that notion, but the people whose culture we are discussing do not share the same opinion as you.

Also, I read Musashi's books as they were written. He was a demon when he was young.
Closed Thread