AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-06-27, 00:28   Link #1
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
What role does Japanese culture play in your life, and why?

Clearly, we're all here because Japanese culture plays at least a minor role in our lives, in that we watch anime and/or read manga, but this post isn't about anime and manga. For a sizable number of us, Japanese culture has a greater influence. I was wanting to hear the whats, hows and whys from other people.

For me, the chicken came before the egg, so to speak: my interest in anime was just attached to my interest in Japan, which came from my family. When I was a child, my father met and married a Japanese woman when he returned to college, and his younger brother followed suit--on both counts! I spent much of my childhood surrounded by Japanese people, which made me a gaijin in my own home but made me feel as though I shared a heritage--even if they didn't feel that way. I grew up hearing Japanese children's stories, eating some simpler Japanese foods (gyoza, Japanese style curry, shrimp chips, Japanese rice, and so on), seeing Doraemon pasted over things (even if I wouldn't see a Doraemon cartoon until nearly twenty years later), gawking over manga (getting in trouble after they assumed my fingerprints from covering up nude scenes with my hands meant that I was just reading those sections more), and watching videotapes from my parents visits (today sights and sounds from typical Japanese homes and apartments can make me feel very nostalgic, although I've not been there yet). I still miss my yukata, geta, and tabi socks I outgrew.

My youngest sister is half-Japanese and watched Anpanman as a child (over and over AND OVER), and my young cousins even spent several years there and had to learn English when they came back to the US, but they all, ironically, are far less influenced by their heritage. I consider my study of and experience with Japanese culture partly dedicated to them, because should they develop an interest in their own heritage, their parents have zero interest in sharing it.

One of the most significant influences on my young life were Miyazaki films. When my life as a childhood was full of hardships, I lifted my spirits by watching (eventually very worn) VHS copies of all of Miyazaki's films from the 1980s. When I was in high school, I was relating to a friend how excellent those films were, and he mentioned that more Japanese cartoons were shown early Saturday mornings on the Sci Fi cable channel... and it was off from there. Two years later we were in Japanese class together, and we together comprised the a large portion of the "otaku" demographic of our sleepy town until the recent Japanese pop-culture explosion that's touched just about every part of the US.

I keep my interest in Japan quiet, partly because no one cares, partly so I don't speak in ignorance, and partly because I'm afraid my particular choices in Japanese media would get me labelled as a weirdo. I admit, I'm a bit sub-culture: my television programming intake is primarily anime, 90% of the music heard blasting from my car is from some anime, and I do occasional volunteer work in scanlation ("aiding the cause"). Part of that is me being a nerd, and part of that is me choosing my media based on the language I'm studying, to help my ear for the language. If I weren't studying the language, my intake of Japanese media would probably be a little more even with my intake of American media. (I do admit to having rotating anime-related wallpapers at work, but my screen faces a wall. )

I honestly have some trouble understanding people who enjoy anime just because it's anime. As happy as I have been to see the influx of anime and manga to the US, I've been a bit baffled--and even had to surpress some scoffing--when I encounter people who seem to worship the genre wholesale, or who have a superficial desire to learn about the culture because it's where their entertainment is from (Which isn't to say that every one who takes an interest in Japan after exposure to anime has a superficial interest. I'm really appreciative of people who take a genuine interest in the culture, no matter how they were introduced to it). In contrast to them, while I found anime though my Japanese family, I enjoy anime (and manga) primarily because I never bought the myth that drawings are only for children, and I can appreciate a good story, even if it's something different than what I've been told is "normal" (beng a nerd helps with that, but I digress), and not just because of its origin, medium, or genre. Having a less "US-centric" mindset and some experience with the culture and language definitely improves my ability to appreciate my entertainment, though.

And so I continue to study the language and culture, and will be going to Japan to study next year, since I have particular callings there. I'm curious to see how my particular mix of knowledge and ignorance goes over when I'm there.

I know that we have many people here, with diverse experience. Some have had life experience that anime is only a part of, while for some of us, Japan has been a large life influence even though anime or manga introduced us to the culture, perhaps even enough so to visit Japan... and some of us just want to watch cartoons (which may have different implications depending on where we're from).

So I'm curious as to what others' experiences are.

Last edited by Kyuusai; 2007-06-27 at 01:29.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 00:52   Link #2
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Absolutely nothing. I do have some anime wallscrolls here and there on my walls and some PVC and manga, but other than that, nothing.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 01:16   Link #3
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
or who have a superficial desire to learn about the culture because it's where their entertainment is from.
Could you explain this further. Why is it superficial? If they are not Japanese, and they suddenly find and enjoy anime, what other reason would they have to learn about the culture? If anime is the thing which shows them the culture and introduces them to it, isn't it logical that they would be interested in the culture is because they learned about it through anime?

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 01:24   Link #4
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Could you explain this further. Why is it superficial? If they are not Japanese, and they suddenly find and enjoy anime, what other reason would they have to learn about the culture? If anime is the thing which shows them the culture and introduces them to it, isn't it logical that they would be interested in the culture is because they learned about it through anime?
Eep! My mistake! I originally had a sentence in there distinguishing between those who had a superficial interest, and those who developed a meaningful interest. Both are out there! I guess I lost that bit in editing.

I'm correcting my post. Sorry! I didn't intend to be insulting.
Old 2007-06-27, 01:31   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Many people discover a culture and become fascinated with it, even if they have no personal connection to it. I wasn't clear about my roots for a long time (Heinz 57 European) but would spend time learning about Scots, Irish, Scandinavia, Germanic history just because it was interesting. My interest in japanese culture started in junior high. My good friend was japanese-american and we both got into playing tabletop wargames (Avalon Hill) especially WW2. I would go to his grandpa's house which was full of cool artifacts and he had a koi pond garden. In high school, I met my friend's cousin and later married her (much to his horror ). At that point, my japanese culture incursion was almost full-time. We'd go to San Francisco to see relatives and haunt Japantown. We'd do the festivals and cultural events in Houston and later in Oregon for my two sons. We would also attend the Highland games for the other half of their cultural heritage as my mother had tracked us to Irish/Scots). In high school and college, I'd taken German and Russian... but about two years ago, I started taking Japanese in parallel with my sons.

I think *any* interest in real culture outside of one's homeland ought to be encouraged. What I scratch my head about are people who watch anime and have no interest in the culture that spawns it. It is almost impossible, for example, to understand the motivations of people in a Chinese film if you don't have some minor clue about their principles or philosophy.

A lot of people are posting they don't understand why Death Note ends the way it does. I won't spoil it but it makes sense if you grasp the sensibilities of japanese culture.
Old 2007-06-27, 03:57   Link #6
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

To answer your question directly, Japan serves as my model of a truly modern East Asian society. Japanese culture is a fascinating combination of old and new, East and West. A culture that eagerly borrows ideas and technologies from abroad, while patiently adapting them into something uniquely Japanese.

When I try to imagine how various developing East Asian societies will look like in the future, I inevitably end up with a version of modern Japan. Hence my interest in Japan's culture and history.

My interest began very early. As a young child in elementary school, I already possessed a strong pride in my cultural heritage (Chinese). This was an unusual trait that puzzled a lot of my friends at the time, because I usually came across as an English-speaking Anglophile, rather than a Chinese patriot.

(For reasons too complicated to explain, most Chinese-Singaporeans hate their own heritage. Not least because they have great difficulties in learning their "mother" tongue. So did I. But I've always thought of myself as an "English-speaking" Chinese patriot instead. )

By the time I was in high school, the Pacific Rim was on the rise. This was the era of the original "Four Asian Tigers" (S.Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore), likened to a flight of birds led by Japan. Needless to say, this led to a lot of the usual chest-thumping declarations of national pride in the official media. And, being a model citizen, I swallowed the propaganda, hook, line and sinker.

Given that kind of environment, it doesn't take much to see how my nascent interest in all things Oriental soon grew into a full-blown passion.

Most of that naive pride has now faded away, replaced today with a more nuanced political-sociological worldview. I guess that's what age does to you.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 04:30   Link #7
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Japanese culture in my life... hmmm
you could say it taught me to respect my elders more

furthermore, i was raised with indonesian culture and compared to a country that eats potatoes and cheese its something very different, i eat rice every day and i simply hate boiled potatoes (do eat em but dont lik em at all)

further on, when i was little the cartoon culture got to me, i was firstly into drawing things Marvel styled (and was pretty damn good at it, still am) but when anime started appearing on my tv i saw a new challenge and since then on i draw those things

in my school subjcts i animate things and write movie / series scripts which i base up on japanese culture a lot, basicly all ym ideas for a good story start of with japan

for the rest, my house isnt very fond of japan, my father went partly through World War 2 in indonesia and many relatives (could as well say everyone beside an aunt and uncle and my grandparents) died under the japanese invasion, its still a topic in the house but my dad isnt like a person that would forbid me to see or do anythign that has to do with Japan

for the rest, just fashion, after seeing tons of costumes and fashion wears from Japan i eventually thought that i would stop thinking of what anyone would think of me when i would wear something and just do what i want to do, nothing outragious just things that are to my taste and no body elses
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 04:49   Link #8
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Let's see. I came and saw the first post, left to go make jerky, then came back and read other replies... and realized that my initial reply (which I had saved to Word, it's so long) was basically my whole life story in one post. O_o; Massively chopping it up now, hang on a moment.

Ah, OK. Got it.

First,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
And so I continue to study the language and culture, and will be going to Japan to study next year, since I have particular callings there. I'm curious to see how my particular mix of knowledge and ignorance goes over when I'm there.
Awesome! Where will you be? You'll undoubtedly do great while there.

Being that my current major is Japanese (hoping to change to linguistics when I transfer schools), I'd say Japanese culture plays a pretty important role in my life... Why did I choose Japanese though?

Long story short, every other summer until I started high school, I visited family in South Korea. I was incredibly lonely since I wasn't fluent in Korean (with an exception to when I was around four -- Korean was my first language, but I quickly forget it when I started elementary school and English took its place), so I began immersing myself in things that didn't have to do with people - "interesting" snacks, books, movies, TV, games, etc.. Slowly I began realizing that many of the things I was eating-reading-watching-playing actually came from Japan. So sparked my interest. What *really* got the ball rolling was when I stopped by Narita airport (off-topic, but I ended up buying a chibi Pokémon airplane there, and a Pokémon book just because I thought Japanese writing looked neat...). I looked through a bunch of Japanese magazines (some in Japanese, others about Japan written in English), I watched the TV showing cartoons in Japanese with subtitles, and... I was completely astounded and frightened when I had to ride in a car traveling on the "wrong" side of the road to get to my terminal.

It all seems silly, I know, but I was stuck at Narita with nothing to do, and it was there that I learned about the islands of Japan and important hot spots such as Fuji-san, mostly from reading magazines (much to the dismay of the shop owners). I had a great time, and I decided that I wanted to see what I had read about in the magazines and saw on the TV.

I started studying Japanese by myself on my spare time, and this is about the time I really started seriously getting into anime (but this isn't about anime ne ). Once I got to college, I took a Japanese class... and loved it. In general I love to learn about different cultures, but Japanese really hits home - it's different from Korean, no doubt, however I can always find little similarities here and there.

D'oh! I'll have to come back and post again later... though this is pretty much the gist of what I wanted to say.

p.s. As far as Miyazaki films go... the one that makes me gush the most is Howl's Moving Castle, though I'll always like Totoro. /sappy.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 04:55   Link #9
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

I've had an interest in many foreign cultures for pretty much ever. Australia is kind of made up of everybody else, being one of the youngest nations around, so there are influences from many countries present here. I was always a bookworm as a child and read encyclopaedias, atlases and such simply to broaden my horizons.

Japan was always a culture, and country, that interested me much more than most others for numerous reasons, so I put a bit more effort in to learning about it. Anime helped expand the interest further; I was lucky enough to have family contacts who could get VHS subs, and we have a wonderful TV station here in AU called SBS that plays a lot of subtitled foreign language content, and they used to show some old anime, and other shows, documentaries etc, which helped. Still show movies and some series, though they tend to be things I already have on DVD. >.< hehe.

When I entered high school (starts at age 12, year 7 here in AU. No such thing as junior high here.) we had several LOTE (Language Other Than English) courses on offer, and I started out with Japanese. Unfortunately the teacher was bloody useless, so I only stuck with it for a semester. Bad teachers can really make something terrible. In hindsight I kind of wish I'd stuck with it, but, well. Too late now.

Later on in life I still watch anime, watch Japanese news on SBS2, read the English version of Mainichi news (which is a great way to keep up with current events) and do some fansubbing. I've been planning a trip to Japan for years, but things keep getting in the way. Very upsetting. >.<

Suffice it to say, my interest in Japan didn't stem from anime, and isn't maintained via anime. It just happens to be one part of a greater picture in my books. There are countless things about Japan that fascinate me, from Shinto, the craziness that is the Tokyo metropolis (Just look at it on Google Satellite maps compared to most major cities. It's monstrous.) the ancient buildings in Kyoto. Nagasaki and Hiroshima being the two cities to have been hit by nuclear weapons (sad, but still fascinating in its own right.) plus just the language itself is insane. Their seemingly random use of four different alphabets. o.O

But, how it plays in to my daily life? Well. Hmm. Other than fansubbing, and my watching anime and the occasional dorama or wacky variety show, and reading/watching news I can't really say it does. But those alone should be enough? ^^;
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 08:01   Link #10
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Well, this probably stems from when I was a kid, and has little reasoning behind it.

Since I was a kid, I had a knack for learning languages. I picked up English this way, with almost zero formal learning, just by contact with games, the internet, movies, and stuff like that. Now I remember being a kid and loving these so-called "RPGs", like the Final Fantasy series. I recall I had no idea where they came from till I got a copy of Final Fantasy IX in Japanese (what a pain in the ass!). I was amazed that the games I loved so dearly came from there, as well as entertainment I consumed when I was even younger (anime like Saint Seiya and Dragon Ball). Even when I couldn't understand a drop of what they were saying (since I couldn't make any sense out of the writing), the Japanese language had piqued my interest, although a bit subconsciously.

Now we come to 2001, when I was 12. That year, this song, called Shima Uta, was released by an Argentinian comedian/musician (note that the video is in part a joke, as the singer has his particular comedic style influence everything he does) [WTF EDIT: I just found a 2004 version performed with The Boom himself, the original author of the song, at the Japanese Garden of Buenos Aires]. The song is a rehash of a Japanese song of the 90's. But what was there that amazed me? This song had romaji karaoke. And that helped me get acquainted with the sounding of the Japanese, which I found was one of the most beautiful spoken languages I had heard in my entire life. Up until then, I had thought all Eastern languages sounded like Chinese (no offense intended to Chinese people, but I can't seem to like at all how their language sounds), however, Japanese surprised me with having clear vowels that were no different than those from my own language, and a general intonation that was truly music to my ears.

In high school (2002) I met a couple of friends of Japanese descent. One of them didn't want anything to do with his origin at all, but the other one still maintained many of their Japanese customs (like not walking around the house with the shoes on, I remember that it struck me as very funny the first time I went to his house). I got my first contact with lots of their heritage this way (I'm a huge friend of him and his family, and they treat me like a part of it every time I go there). He also watched a lot of anime. He was my main source of entertainment for a long while, since I had no internet up until a year ago. And when I started watching a lot of subbed anime, I got to pick up a lot of the language, in the same way I had picked up English some time ago.

So now, what moves me to apply for a scholarship in Japan next year, and to get accustomed with its culture, is my interest in its language. It's like we were made for each other... I'm currently studying English translation, but I probably plan to leave it in halt for a while and study Japanese translation in Japan, and then finishing my English studies to become a full-fledged English/Japanese/Spanish translator.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2007-06-27 at 08:25.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 10:02   Link #11
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
This kinda sucks, I think I could compose my post merely by putting quotes of what was already said together.

Anyway, my interest in Japan does originate in Anime. It didn't take long for me to start paying attention to the language though, I've always been into languages but Japanese especially fascinated me. All this isn't too long ago, I started watching Anime around december '06 and then began learning Japanese about a month later. I never had been confronted with the language before, or anything else Japanese for that matter. Once I started understanding the basics, my fascination quickly gew larger and larger. Soon I also began to wonder what kind of culture it was that had brought forth this language which I had fallen in love with. I read lots and lots about the country, it's culture and history.
So up until now all I know about Japan is purely theoretical. And of course still rather superficial, not having spent even half a year on it yet. Unfortunately it'll still take more than 10 months till I can finally visit the country (stupid Bundeswehr >_>). But I'm soo looking forward to it. I can't wait to finally confirm my positive prejudices or shatter my delusions. ^^

Oh, and I love the food. Really, nothing beats Sushi!
Old 2007-06-27, 11:07   Link #12
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
So I'm curious as to what others' experiences are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Absolutely nothing. I do have some anime wallscrolls here and there on my walls and some PVC and manga, but other than that, nothing.
Contact Zero, for me too.
That doesn't mean I watch it just because it's not for kids.
Like WanderingKnight I'm fascinated by the language, all be it I have no interest in becoming a translator (by profession) etc.
As for the culture, well.. if people here that never went there can be fascinated by it which they have yet to see, then I can do it too.

+1 cookie for sharing & great speech. Really enjoyed it...
Old 2007-06-27, 11:12   Link #13
Ibuki

Hmm, my dad contracts with Japanese companies with his job so I go out and spend some time with his clients every now and then. I think I got a fairly good feel (at least for men) as to there culture, common behaviors, and the difference in thinking in specific age groups since the clients range from like 25-70 year olds. Usually we eat Japanese food but occasionally they want American Steak??
Ibuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 15:20   Link #14
Kingdom
Romance addict

I think I was exposed to a lot of Japanese things as a child without knowing it (as a child). In the anime department, I would always go over to my uncle's house on the weekends and me, my sister and him would always watch Sailor Moon. Since it was Chinese dub, I never had a clue that it was Japanese. From there, we'd watch all sorts of other anime, though I can't remember any names. From then on I would always watch anime on TV - DBZ, CCS, etc. Once I got into Jr. High (Grade 7), I started downloading and from there my interest in Japanese culture peaked. I guess it was easy for me to delve into it because it was hardly a shift from Chinese - sure they're different but nothing really surprised me. It's all the little quirks and differences from my own culture I love. I think that's what attracted me the most.

On a side note, I think Japanese food has really bonded with me. My mom made me udon noodles and I never realized what they were till a few years back. It's even the same with Vietnamese food - I've tried a lot of food from those two. Mmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
One of them didn't want anything to do with his origin at all, but the other one still maintained many of their Japanese customs (like not walking around the house with the shoes on, I remember that it struck me as very funny the first time I went to his house).
I seriously thought that was the norm everywhere. Whenever I go to over to a friend's house, no one ever wears shoes inside - asian or not @___@
Kingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 16:10   Link #15
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think *any* interest in real culture outside of one's homeland ought to be encouraged. What I scratch my head about are people who watch anime and have no interest in the culture that spawns it. It is almost impossible, for example, to understand the motivations of people in a Chinese film if you don't have some minor clue about their principles or philosophy.

A lot of people are posting they don't understand why Death Note ends the way it does. I won't spoil it but it makes sense if you grasp the sensibilities of japanese culture.
I do find it strange--almost tragic, even--when people watch foreign films with no understanding of the culture, nor a desire to learn. I find that mentality foreign not because of my love of a foreign culture that they don't share, but because it's an aversion to learning that I've always found puzzling.

I find it interesting to note that many people who live in other east Asian countries don't seem to attach an interest in the culture to the media as often as many westerners do. I think that's because they find the culture similar enough it doesn't spark curiosity, much like western cultures tend to assume that they are so similar to each other.

And I find it absolutely amazing that so many Korean and Chinest youth, whether they're in their countries of heritage or not, take an interest. There is still so much "bad blood" (and understandably so!) that it feels like a true miracle when people welcome the culture with open arms. Call me crazy, but I've wept joyful tears in pondering this before.

And speaking of those with Korean heritage and an interest in Japan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Awesome! Where will you be? You'll undoubtedly do great while there.
Thanks
My plan so far is to study at the Yamasa Institute in Okazaki City. I'll likely be going in three month increments (on, off, on, off, etc), so I can still visit family and go on mission trips in between, and also fit in studying Spanish in Guatemala. It's all a matter of money at the moment, but I had miracles to fund all my previous trips, and I have no doubt this will be different.

Okazaki City isn't exactly the most lively place, but that's probably a good thing, and I have a strong constitution when it comes to traveling on the weekends! Which is good, because I hope to get to meet some of our board folks that will be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
p.s. As far as Miyazaki films go... the one that makes me gush the most is Howl's Moving Castle, though I'll always like Totoro. /sappy.
Nausicaa and Laputa remain top in my heart. If I expounded on why, I'd ruin my manly image, though (says the man with the cute, pink-haired girl in his avatar...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
In high school (2002) I met a couple of friends of Japanese descent. One of them didn't want anything to do with his origin at all, but the other one still maintained many of their Japanese customs (like not walking around the house with the shoes on, I remember that it struck me as very funny the first time I went to his house).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
I seriously thought that was the norm everywhere. Whenever I go to over to a friend's house, no one ever wears shoes inside - asian or not @___@
To be honest, despite being in the US for my entire life, I keep forgetting that this is generally an Asian thing! When my father married his second wife, there were NO more shoes inside the house. Period. Oddly enough, she stopped that practice when she left my father... but we kept it!

If any one here ever watches amazing Korean film The Way Home with a group of people, watch the faces of the people you're with as the scenes of the child roller skating inside and on a straw mat play. Western people will just have no reaction, while Eastern (or Eastern experienced folk) will recoil, and perhaps emit sounds, in shock. That film can be appreciated by all, but not fully horrify some one without a little cultural experience.
Old 2007-06-27, 16:38   Link #16
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
Quote:
To be honest, despite being in the US for my entire life, I keep forgetting that this is generally an Asian thing! When my father married his second wife, there were NO more shoes inside the house. Period. Oddly enough, she stopped that practice when she left my father... but we kept it!
I have to add that I, being from Germany, only knew it like that as well - no shoes in the house. The same goes for many people I know as well, maybe not the majority but still quite a few of them.
Old 2007-06-27, 17:00   Link #17
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
i guess having a family who still has their asian roots has been a great influence on me (which also stops me from being "gijin-ized" ~ one of the main reason why i dont seem to fit in...probably because i just dont get on with this english people here) ~ and well i can say that there are similarities between the chinese and japanese so i guess their culture wasnt that much of a difference from what i am normally used to anyway ~ while i consider myself more concious of other cultures due to this it just pains me to see other around me who have no dam clue...so finding this forum where most people are like minded is a real treat

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 18:46   Link #18
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Japanese culture has intrigued me from a very early point in my life. It started with Nintendo, and then anime, but I have since been exposed more thoroughly to other aspects to Japan that make it an interesting country; one with a strong historical tradition and yet highly modernized (and, in many ways, on the forefront in terms of household electronics/technology).

I absolutely love learning about foreign culture, so I haven't simply confined my view towards Japan. I am also very interested in my own heritage (Irish), as well as basically any culture on the planet (I like learning things like this, seeing the many different ways humanity has blossomed). Japan just happens to be one of the more interesting ones, for me, and it certainly doesn't hurt that much of the media I consume originates there.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 05:19   Link #19
Red Herring
SPARTANS

My interest in Japan didn't start with anime. In fact I didn't like anime for a few years while I was interested heavily in Japanese history and culture. I warmed up to it though when I realized it isnt all DBZ and Speed Racer and all that junk.

Anyway, what role does Japanese culture have in my life? Hell let me see, I'm taking Japanese right now at the uni, I've decided to put myself on a more traditional minimalist Japanese diet(not necessarily eating Japanese food, just eating less food in general, and eating a lot veggies even though I still loves me a bloody steak), I have a lot of Japanese media and entertainment in my house but that is a given aint it. I also pratice Japanese martial arts after I used to do Taekwondo and Wing Chun, now I do Aikido and used to be into Judo and karate(watered down american versions yuck). I find Japanese combat styles to be a lot more efficient and useful for a real situation than Chinese styles, just my personal view. Wish I could find me a kendo or kenjutsu school...

Last edited by Red Herring; 2007-06-28 at 06:20.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 05:41   Link #20
krysinello
Sousuke Sagara

Send a message via MSN to krysinello
My interest really spawned from seeing signs of Japanese culture in anime, and eventually studying the language. While I aint taking a proper Japanese course(Nearest Uni with it 2 hours away ) I am slowly teaching myself about it and I do plan to take a trip to Japan one day, in order to learn more about the culture and experience it for my self.
krysinello is offline   Reply With Quote