AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

View Poll Results: Which portable system will u get?
Nintendo's DS 20 47.62%
Sony's PSP 7 16.67%
Im getting both 6 14.29%
Not getting either 9 21.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-08-11, 03:57   Link #21
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun
DekaMaster - I find it highly ironic that you bash people for basing their opinions of a console on informed speculation, while basing your own opinions on a lot of uninformed speculation. I have yet to see anywhere that Nintendo has anything ready "in case the DS fails". On the other hand, most everything you bashed in other's posts were informed speculation based on the facts already put forth from the manufacturers. It's far too early for ANYONE to make a perfectly sound decision about what to buy as the price, launch games, etc. could be changing for better or worse as we speak. But because of this, neither you nor anybody else has the right to come in with a "I know everything and I'm right that the PSP will be best" attitude because NOBODY KNOWS ENOUGH YET. This thread is largely about our opinions of things based on the informated speculation that the press like IGN and EGM have put forth, but even if both consoles had nothing but cold hard facts out there and were ready for launch, this is the type of thing that's very very largely opinion-based anyway, so there is no right or wrong.

This entire thread is about bashing. Any time anyone make a post like this on any forum it will becomes SONY RULES NINTENDO SUCKS and vice versa. Show me where I said PSP will be best? You can't because I never said that. Listening to IGN or EGM about video games is like listening to animenation about anime none of them are very accurate.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 09:05   Link #22
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
This entire thread is about bashing. Any time anyone make a post like this on any forum it will becomes SONY RULES NINTENDO SUCKS and vice versa. Show me where I said PSP will be best? You can't because I never said that. Listening to IGN or EGM about video games is like listening to animenation about anime none of them are very accurate.
Whether IGN or EGM or anyother popular gaming site/magazine is accurate or not, they're all reporing basically the same things about both consoles, suggesting that either everyone in the media is completely off base (which is possible) or they're perfectly accurate. Either way, if all the video game press claims the same things about both consoles, then it's very hard to debate who has accurate info and who doesn't.

Also,
I'm sorry if I put words into your mouth about the PSP - you're right; you never said that the PSP would be the best, and I guess I just expected a certain response and then wrote my post based on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
In a sense you're right. Games may get pulled out at the last minute, but I've never really heard of any major game getting pulled out between the last 3 months it was going to be released, I mean Sierra pulled the plug on Half-Life for the DC 3-4 days before its release, the strat guides were shipped out with no game for it but then again DC pretty much had its foot in the grave by then. I doubt seeing any noteworthy games having something similar happen. But there is enough information to make a sound decision, the specs for both the DS and PSP will not change, sure the design will hell, Nintendo's done it 3 times already. But their hardware will remain the same, and as well as any official launch games.
Well, yeah, you're right. Although the hardware and everything will likely remain the same, as will the game line-ups, I guess I was more trying to play-up my point that it's difficult for anyone to come in with "know it all" attitudes.

Quote:
What you said made sense, but yet... doesn't make any sense at all. Nintendo has always been extremely innovative with their games. And it is true that a lot of PSP titles can be considered PS2 ports, but Nintendo isn't the king of originality. They've basically took the same package and put a different wrapping paper on it. I mean its the same Mario, Metroid, and Zelda franchises with just different game mechanics, Nintendo and Sony in this department are basically the same, imo.
Well, there's a big difference between playing a scaled-down version of Gran Turismo 4 that will already be available on the PS2 and playing a brand new game of a familiar franchise. Not only that, but one thing you have to respect about Nintendo, whether you love them or hate them, is that they very rarely give you the same game twice. Metroid Prime is one of the most innovative first-person shooters I've seen. Did it use the basic principals that all the past Metroid games used? Of course! But just because it shares some basics with the rest of the Metroid games doesn't mean it's not a damn good, FRESH gaming experience. Where many developers are content to simply update the graphics, rework the game engine, and add some new levels to their sequels, Nintendo is constantly making sure any game, be it a new franchise or Zelda sequel number 15, is a brand new game, whether it has familiar characters or not.

Not to say that Nintendo's perfect - all three generations of Pokemon are basically just the same game, and to top that off they're already re-releasing one of them as Fire Red/Leaf Green. But Nintendo, nine times out of ten, deliveres fresher gaming experiences with existing franchises than many developers do with new franchises. IMHO.
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 12:30   Link #23
FrostLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster

Although the information from reliable sources may not always be accurate. You must understand that before you have a opinion u have to have info from sources and that usally comes from these reliable sources. If you just assume that their all lies, then theres really no point in basing an opinion at all. For all I know half life 2 will be rated G and it will actually be an RPG instead but I am going to trust information from reliable sources.

This is all speculation, obviously we can not tell which is the better portable system because they have not come out yet. But this thread is about which one u will get and i am also assuming that you will provide information on why u think one is superiour over the other.
FrostLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 13:53   Link #24
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostLich
Although the information from reliable sources may not always be accurate. You must understand that before you have a opinion u have to have info from sources and that usally comes from these reliable sources. If you just assume that their all lies, then theres really no point in basing an opinion at all. For all I know half life 2 will be rated G and it will actually be an RPG instead but I am going to trust information from reliable sources.

This is all speculation, obviously we can not tell which is the better portable system because they have not come out yet. But this thread is about which one u will get and i am also assuming that you will provide information on why u think one is superiour over the other.

I don't know which is superior and it doesn't really matter. I buy systems for the games. Take Game boy and Game Gear. IMO Game boy was a less powerful system and didn't have all the options game gear did. But I had a gameboy as it had more games I wanted to play. In the end you don't buy a system to sit and look at it all day you buy it to play games.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 15:07   Link #25
maxthelostboy

whichever has good rpgs ill wait a few years and buy it when its in the $100 range, and besides my luck the minute i buy one the next version will be all ready coming out like me with my gameboy advanced sp
maxthelostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 16:32   Link #26
FrostLich

I beleive that there is a fine line between DS and PSP. They are VERY different systems. This isnt like N64 vs PS. DS and PSP have so much difference that some ppl say that they are not in direct competition (although i disagree).

If your the type of person who wants to play music and play dvds and making the home expereience portable. You will get the PSP.

If you want a portable system purely for games with wireless connection so you can battle it out with strangers within a ??? feet radius (i forgot the actual distance), then u will get the DS.

I for one hand so far perfer the features that the DS is offering. Simply because I like the idea that u can walk into a resturant and u can be challanged by a couple others without actually even seeing them.

*note* DS will have a wireless connection within a pretty big radius and some reliable sources have said that the DS will alert u of other ppl around u that have the same game as u. Weither this feature will be implemented is yet to be known. But why else would they have such a large radius of wireless connection unless its for friends that like to walk apart from each other while facing each other.
FrostLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 16:34   Link #27
hobbs
nothing 2 do with calvin!

Send a message via AIM to hobbs Send a message via MSN to hobbs Send a message via Yahoo to hobbs
ill get both when there launched i dont see the price being that bad.. also i like the new DS looks
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 20:59   Link #28
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
DekaMaster, someone needs to teach you how to reply properly to multiple posters.

Quote:
Yeah the PSP has lots of fragile moving parts man, it is a Unit that plays games and movies. Two parts there now lets see
You're mistaking functions for parts. It has 3 functions, movies (via proprietary discs), games (via proprietary discs, though this is given) and music (via a proprietary, restrictive format.)

The DS has one function. Games. And Nintendo makes no bones about it.

Quote:
The huge base it self with the flip top that sure will be easy to hold on to on the go.
No worse than the original GB or the GBA were. I imagine few people will have to worry about not being able to use them while walking. I imagine the PSP is probably as wide as the DS. Both I imagine are about as wide as 2, maybe 2.5 SPs set side by side.

Quote:
And then the little pen stylus.
If it's anything like the ones PDAs use, the stylus is just a plastic stick. All the electronics are contained in the unit which, thanks to being flip-top like the SP, can always be protected when not in use.

Quote:
Yeah you are right the DS doesn't have any of those ucky fragile moving parts.
The very design, like the SP, protects the screens and buttons from damage. I imagine it will have a build quality equal to the SP, ie. tough as a tank. My SP has worn spots and scratches in the paint coat all over but not a nick in the screen and still works perfectly after hardcore use for over a year. Structure wise I imagine the cart slots will be like the GBA one, namely very sparse, shallow, and sealed (there's no gaps so the internals are sealed in.) It also shares the same hinge structure which is incredibly effective. That and the carts are all solid state non-optical media so drop damage and scratches are a non-issue. So to say the least, knowing nintendo's history with design in the portable field I definitely am biased in their favor.

Now Sony I haven't seen anything from. They have prior experience in the small portable devices field but are known more for being first and small than being reliable. They also tend towards proprietary formats, such as ATRAC3 which they require for use with MD players and their new 20GB portable. Also, the UMD format. Use of this format requires two motors in the system. Personally I don't like the chances that gives me, especially having seen what happens to a sony CD walkman if you treat it even minimally roughly (this one I have can't track with the read laser anymore, and it's recieved less abuse than my GBA SP.)

Quote:
And i love all your arguments you say the same exact same think every nintendo fanboy has said on every nintendo fan website. It's like reading the talking points for the fox news channel but with video games.
I'll be honest in saying I don't get your argument here. I'm equally considering both Nintendo and Sony's next consoles (albeit after the price drops on both) but when it comes to portables, I'll give my trust to the developer with more experience in the field. Nintendo has a much more focused intention with the DS, while Sony seems to be all over the map.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 23:28   Link #29
Remian

The DS is clearly gonna be the cheapest, and with idols such as Mario, Link, Samus, and Kirb as wellas Sega, its clear that DS will have the best games.

The PSP doesnt have as much idols on its side, but i gotta admit it would be great to play A Final Fantasy on the PSP.....

Im with the DS all the way. I may pick up the PSP however.....
Remian is offline   Reply With Quote