AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-11-18, 06:08   Link #1
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines

Wow....that's pretty much all I can say at this point. I'm only about an hour in and I'm loving this game. Got my pre-order earlier today but couldn't get around to installing it until now...boy I should've done it sooner.

Of course, my system isn't worthy enough to have the game running at full power, but alas, it's still very pretty even with my crappy system. The gameplay is quite a bit of fun, and the animations are great...especially feeding.

I'd say get this especially if you either play Vampire's PnP game or the previous Masquerade title, this one is leaps and bounds better.
Old 2004-11-18, 09:35   Link #2
Arwyn

Been wanting to check this one out as well. Loved the last game, and have been looking forward to this one. I didnt realized it was out though, been playing HL2 pretty much non-stop.
Arwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-18, 13:36   Link #3
Ending

Read the review at Gamespot and were like: "Oh... so it wasn't anything special after all..."

Clumsy combat and some bugs, they say.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-18, 14:51   Link #4
CaSe-
胸のひねること

Then again, this is gamespot remember. They rated Halo 2, Chronicles of Riddick and UT2k4 above Halflife 2.
CaSe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-18, 20:36   Link #5
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Combat is a bit tedious, but after a few times you get easily used to it. The only problem I have is the same problem that haunts all the Source-based games....load times. My problem is compounded because of my fairly slow system, but that's a pretty good time for me to figure out where I'm going to put my XP

Overall, so far I've not seen too many bugs that cannot be chalked up to standard stuff. A few graphical glitches here and there with flowing items such as clothing, but nothing to cry home about.

Gamespot's review is laughable, everyone who has played it agrees that they had to have been smoking something prior to playing it, otherwise there's no reason for a review like that.
Old 2004-11-18, 21:16   Link #6
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I was a white-wolf fanboy back in my highschool days, I never got to play Vampire, but I played a lot Werewolf with my friends, and it was so great! I was a Corax and we had our little meetings to play the game. Nothing too extravagant as Ive seen with many rpgs fans. They should make a game with all the shape-shifting species of Werewolf.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-19, 08:19   Link #7
Ending

Quote:
Then again, this is gamespot remember.
Generally taken I have noticed they seem to have a similar taste as I do -better than 80% of public reviews at least.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-19, 11:14   Link #8
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Bah.....Gamespot lost any last vestige of respect I had for it when they rated The Mark of Kri (one of my favorite action games) at something like 7.5. The game was very innovative and a blast to play- I don't think the people at Gamespot look at games as "fun" anymore. They also gave the whole Disgaea series pretty low scores as well- truly, they must be smoking something.
Old 2004-11-19, 11:28   Link #9
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

What's funny is half the GameFAQ's posts for this game are about GameSpot deleting user reviews that rate higher than the official reviewers score...doesn't surprise me, they did it on several games in which the reviews varied greatly from their in-house review score.

Now probably about 3/4 the way through the game, hell if I know for sure, and I'm still enjoying it...there is an issue that I overlooked earlier that is a problem though, there seems to be a memory leak that wasn't patched up from the Source engine (CS:S had the same issue), other than that I haven't had too many issues. Hell, the clipping issues that plague HL2 aren't really present in this game.
Old 2004-11-22, 03:41   Link #10
Umbrae
Generic Human

I was going to pick this game up, but as it had the same release date as HL2 my pay check could not handle it. I was going to get it next week when I get payed again.

I have 2 questions though if you might be able to answer them.

First how is the multi player on this game? That was one of the strongest features of the first, although it was easy to abuse so public games were not to popular. but a game with a group of friends was a blast.

2nd, is the single player portion as linear as the first one was? The first one was listed as a role playing game, but you could not do basicly any thing that was not in the story line. It was less a role playing game and more of a FPS with 3rd person view and stats. Please tell me they have a bit more role in the roll playing game now.
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 03:48   Link #11
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

This is basically just like HL2, no actual multiplayer, but the abilities are there for mods...however, this isn't a pure RPG, so it's lacking the DM tools that were in Redemption.

As for the single player, it's linear as far as the story goes, but it is a freedom-based questing system full of side quests and what-not. You get far more choices in this than you did in Redemption and with the fact the world is a bit more robust in Bloodlines, you get a better feel of freedom.

There's also one glaring bug that was found and that I did run into...and it forces you to cheat to get by it...there's a gamecrashing bug about midway through the game that causes it to crash upon loading, don't know why though. And since it's a universal bug, I'm sure Troika has a patch for it planned...which will more than likely fix all the more cosmetic bugs.
Old 2004-11-23, 05:06   Link #12
Zephronite
gorogorogorogoro

Fun game, buggy as hell though. If your game doesn't stutter at the hub areas, I salute you. And yes, the combat system is a bit wonky, but nothing game-breaking.
By the way, anyone fought the japanese demon yet? Hohoho.
Zephronite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 06:35   Link #13
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

I've beat the game as a Malk already, going back through again and pick up on the many side quests I missed. The stuttering thing should hopefully be fixed when Troika gets the updated patch for Source...I know that I only have issues when it's raining, but that's just because I have a crappy slow computer
Old 2004-11-27, 13:04   Link #14
reymysteriojr

are all the endings the same?
reymysteriojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 12:43   Link #15
U-Sasuke
Curse Of The Seal

Send a message via MSN to U-Sasuke
I thought of getting this game a few weeks ago as well, but my system is running with only 255MB of RAM, about 100MB lesser than Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines's minimum requirements according to statistics from gamespot. So it is still recommended of me to get the game, assuming I have no plans to upgrade my computer?
U-Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote