AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-07-08, 16:12   Link #1
Onakra

An idea I had; eroge db

The other day I started thinking about a way to recatalog my eroge collection. Due to popularity of online list management sites like for example AniDB and the increasing interest in eroge outside of Japan, probably accountable to more English translated games, I was thinking of creating a site for this.

Besides the personal list function (and all the things that should come with that like ratings, reviews, etc) a forum for help, discussion on new games, etc. Note: nothing illegal, so no torrents or P2P help, just stuff in the lines of mentioned above.

Before I start spending (too much) time into creating something like this; what do you think?
Do you think you'll use a site like that?
Do you think it would be interesting if there was a site like that?
Any more ideas?
A better name?

I was thinking about limiting it to PC eroge and Japanese (non-H) visual novels like Interlude, etc. to create a specific community for these type of games. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is something like that available now.

Just let me know what you think. Of course also non-positive feedback is welcome. Then I know I'll just have to do something for my own catalog. ^_^
Onakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 17:49   Link #2
Zephronite
gorogorogorogoro

Maybe, only to show off my collection and facilitate in trades *cough*. I already have my own well-made out list, in .txt no less.
Andddd i bet the forum will eventually degenerate into "Zomg where can I DL (insert name of ILLUSION/English hgame)". Stupidity is world wide, and people rarely read the board rules, as least that's what I learnt going through many boards of the same kind.
But still, its a nice idea.
Zephronite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 19:12   Link #3
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephronite
Maybe, only to show off my collection and facilitate in trades *cough*. I already have my own well-made out list, in .txt no less.
Andddd i bet the forum will eventually degenerate into "Zomg where can I DL (insert name of ILLUSION/English hgame)". Stupidity is world wide, and people rarely read the board rules, as least that's what I learnt going through many boards of the same kind.
But still, its a nice idea.
OMG WHERE CAN I DL THAT H-GAME?!!?!?!?

Besides, while this is good, the ero game category is still only a marginable amount...now h-specific games, that's a different story.

Now mind you, I find ero's more to the type of Kana, Kanon, Da Capo...the more story driven, less emphasis on the sex, not saying they don't have their h-scenes, but they don't abundantly throw them in your face every 3 seconds :P
DarkCntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 19:14   Link #4
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
I like the database part of the idea. An English database of the games along with publishers, credits, etc. would be a nice site. You can even have people write reviews of the games and have a front page news panel detailing upcoming bishoujo games

Having it limited to just eroge may be a bit too limiting. I think having it index the bishoujo genre would be nice, and maybe a bishounen genre for the girls out there.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 21:47   Link #5
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

it's a great idea!
i got a good name too: "Falling Snow" (since soooo many bishoujo games have some symbolism with snow...i.e. Kanon)
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 02:56   Link #6
Onakra

It looks that some people have another definition of eroge then me it seems. The japanese use エロゲ for all games that have any erotic content, so what some call 'hentai-games' or 'H-games' also fall under this. kj1980 has formulated a description/definition quite well here. So it should not limited to the 'softer' game category with games as Kana, Kanon, etc. but all the other games as well.

The 'showing off' of collections seems pointless as anyone can claim they have more games than they actually do. This ego tripping could be circumvented by not making (or optional) the personal collection lists open to the public. And the forums should be moderated with a fair but strict hand IMO. For the trading and illegal acquiring of games there are other places.

The idea of a site is born from me wanting to better manage my collection of games; I currently use an Access database but I feel I want to have something better. But I'll just see how many reactions I get. Up to now there aren't many responses yet, so I don't know if it's due to lack of interest or if it's just too short after the start of the thread.
Old 2004-07-09, 10:02   Link #7
bluemist
i am the mist

Good idea sir. I'm actually databasing my anime through AniDB. It is a great help for my fansub collection, and I figure your website idea would be nice as well.

Let me suggest a feature though... Availability of 'save-games' which unlock the CG and extra features. This is for the benefit of non-Japanese players like me. I know Anime Densetsu already does something like this but they feature mostly old Jap games and English h-games only.

I was very hardpressed to find a save for a game as popular as Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, because I needed to scan through Japanese websites for that.
Old 2004-07-09, 10:17   Link #8
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
Good idea sir. I'm actually databasing my anime through AniDB. It is a great help for my fansub collection, and I figure your website idea would be nice as well.

Let me suggest a feature though... Availability of 'save-games' which unlock the CG and extra features. This is for the benefit of non-Japanese players like me. I know Anime Densetsu already does something like this but they feature mostly old Jap games and English h-games only.

I was very hardpressed to find a save for a game as popular as Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, because I needed to scan through Japanese websites for that.
For Japanese save data, Sagaoz is definitly your friend
Old 2004-07-12, 16:15   Link #9
mikey_68

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
I like the database part of the idea. An English database of the games along with publishers, credits, etc. would be a nice site. You can even have people write reviews of the games and have a front page news panel detailing upcoming bishoujo games

Having it limited to just eroge may be a bit too limiting. I think having it index the bishoujo genre would be nice, and maybe a bishounen genre for the girls out there.
Well, for the English ones, my site deals with them (phew, gotta update it soon, why is that newer version still on my HDD??...)
http://www.manga.sk/atp/index.html

As for the Japanese, or all bishoujo games in general, that would be a GREAT deal of work, since there should be one or two new games coming out every day in Japan (not from Key or anything, but from some lower-profile game-makers), so limiting it is a very good idea.

I for instance do not have any reviews, just some short nothing-saying texts, no savegames, no walkthroughs so I'm happy not to have too much work, but still be informative.

My suggestion for your site could be a list of characters - I was dreaming of putting it into my site, but it was just too much work and I don't have the time to research it. I think many of the characters are memorable and deserve mentioning (like the cast in the movie, there's the producers and staff, but also the actors)
mikey_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 06:31   Link #10
Onakra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_68
As for the Japanese, or all bishoujo games in general, that would be a GREAT deal of work, since there should be one or two new games coming out every day in Japan (not from Key or anything, but from some lower-profile game-makers), so limiting it is a very good idea.
Of course my idea isn't to catalog all Japanese games; that would really be a lot of work indeed... ^_^ Since the idea for a site was born out of my need to have a better management of my collection, to me it's logical to only keep a list of games that a user of the site has. If the userbase gets above a few users who collect a reasonable amount of games it would be easy for others to just pick a game that's in the db and place it in their own collection list.

So it's not really a database of games, but more a tool for storing info about your collection. If you don't have many games it probably wouldn't be useful, but if you are the collector type this might prove useful IMO.

(Just a FYI: games usually come out on Friday in Japan and most releases seem to be concentrated at the end of a month.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_68
My suggestion for your site could be a list of characters - I was dreaming of putting it into my site, but it was just too much work and I don't have the time to research it. I think many of the characters are memorable and deserve mentioning (like the cast in the movie, there's the producers and staff, but also the actors)
That's too much work for me as well. What I was thinking is to only keep a minimal amount of information and link to external sites (such as for example Getchu) for additional information, others for savegames, etc.

Since the response isn't really that big I'll probably create a site according to my own needs and in the case that more users are going to use it to expand the site. And if it proves impopular I'll just take it offline and use it locally...
Old 2004-07-13, 17:52   Link #11
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
i like this idea.
because i go to anidb everyday.
so i would visit alot.
but thats just me
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 04:39   Link #12
Onakra

Sorry to revive such an old thread; shameless plug for my site:

I've now finished the suggested site above and put it online so that others can use it as well.
If it turns out it's not popular I'll just reduce it again to private use. ^_^

It's purposes are the management of your eroge collection and short info and links about the games. The second is a forum where people can discuss eroge in general. NO illegal discussions on the forum about how to get games, p2p, etc in order to prevent possible legal problems.

Site: http://www.tenshi-tachi.com/
Forum: http://forum.tenshi-tachi.com/

Check it out if you want. Let me know what you think or if you want to help upgrade the design (I'm horrible at that)...
Old 2004-09-30, 06:14   Link #13
Zephronite
gorogorogorogoro

Sounds fun. I'll give it a whirl.
Zephronite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 14:44   Link #14
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Nice site, I like the clean layout. *goes and adds games*
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 15:36   Link #15
TronDD
Team the box!

I get a server error.

EDIT: Only get the error with firefox, not with IE.

Last edited by TronDD; 2004-09-30 at 18:24.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 16:04   Link #16
bluemist
i am the mist

I'm trying it out too.

I found 21 of my games already listed.

And thanks a lot too! I found the savegame to Anonono while browsing some sites. A month of search finally over.
Old 2004-09-30, 16:06   Link #17
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
I'm trying it out too. I added 4 games to one of the company lists. And the rest of my games were already on the list.
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 17:32   Link #18
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Am compiling a list of games to add as I type this...soon as I get a fairly large amount finished, I'll probably add them to the db for that site.
Old 2004-10-01, 06:15   Link #19
Onakra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
I get a server error.

EDIT: Only get the error with firefox, not with IE.
Strange, I haven't seen an error with Firefox yet (I use Fx myself). The site should be 100% XHTML 1.1 compliant. Do you still get the error with Fx and if so, which error do you get and where? Which version of Fx do you use?

All, thanks for the positive feedback so far! The next feature I plan, which should be done quite soon is an overview of your games in XML/CSV format so you can keep a local copy if you want.
Old 2004-10-01, 10:37   Link #20
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onakra
Strange, I haven't seen an error with Firefox yet (I use Fx myself). The site should be 100% XHTML 1.1 compliant. Do you still get the error with Fx and if so, which error do you get and where? Which version of Fx do you use?
I have the newest Firefox: 1.0 Preview Release.

I click "Yes" to enter the site and get an error at http://www.tenshi-tachi.com/main.aspx

(If I copy and paste URLs from IE, I still get the error. So it's on any page.)

Server Error in '/' Application.
Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote