Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-10-17, 11:19   Link #1
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
Post Super Mario 64 and the DS

Recently, I watched a 16 minute demo of Super Mario 64 DS on Gamespot , and let me say I'm impressed. Super Mario 64 has got to be one of the greatest games I've played ever, but still, I'm not so inclined in considering purchasing the double screen just yet.

For one thing, I hardly have time to play video games anymore as schoolwork dominates my life, and there is no doubt that the PSP and the DS will be highly expensive items on the market (I predict the $150-$200 range). I'm already selling my Gameboy SP to a friend to make some extra money because I just don't have time to play it.

In my opinion, I think Nintendo is realizing that they won't be able to compete with the PSP using the titles they have already planned for their system. Half of the games are 2d, and with a portable playstation for competition 2d games can't enter the race. So, could the souped up Super Mario 64 DS be a start to the creation of a portable N64? I would certainly hope so. You see, I suspect that Nintendo is planning a few star titles to customers to get their system and lock them in. However, could it possibly become a portable N64? Well, there is a matter of technology but also about market. If you make remakes of the N64, half of the people who used to play those games are slowly loosing interest in video games, and then even still the other half is just that: people who played the N64, hardly any newcomers.

What will influence my decision? I'm not planning on buying either the PSP or the DS. However, the remake of the top 5 N64 classics would cause me to get it. Super Mario 64 is great and all considering I don't own an N64 myself and am interested in playing it for a first time, but the game the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is truly fantastic is where my money is. I played this game from start to finish with a friend, and was amazed. It's on my top 5 list of best games of all time, so, I'd really look forward to playing it on a handheld. Is it possible though? I have my doubts that Nintendo would make it, but we'll see.
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 15:46   Link #2
Remian

At the Tokyo Gameshow, ALL the games that Nintendo planed for the DS were 3D. They said that era of 2D gaming has died, and will only breath when games like Viewtiful Joe come along. Other than that, the Nintendo planned for ALL their games to be 3D. And if school was so...busying, how did you get the time to write that super long post hmmm....
Remian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 16:08   Link #3
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
I'm sorry to disprove you :

Yoshi Touch and Go
Advance Wars DS
Egg Monster Heroes

But it looks like there are 2d titles for the DS. Perhaps with titles like Advance Wars DS these arn't just breaths of fresh air...Where did you get your information?
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 19:11   Link #4
FrostLich

i hope that the DS comes out successful. Nintendo is alrdy losing money in the console buisness and their only making money on their portable system. I dont know much about buisnesses but i dont want Nintendo to drop out of the console wars. Even though I purchase the playstation, Nintendo i still a great console to play multiplayer games. From golden eye 64- super smash bros - mario party.
FrostLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 23:43   Link #5
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Quote:
Nintendo is alrdy losing money in the console buisness and their only making money on their portable system.
Note that this is, in fact, not true. Only Microsoft is losing money. Nintendo is making money, even though they're not in first (they're third in the US, second worldwide.)

They're number 1 in the portable market and I seriously doubt even Sony will be able to unseat them.

On another note, there does look like to be a killer lineup of 2D RPGs and a number of other games. I can't wait to see what pops up within the first few months of the DS's release.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 04:25   Link #6
Blaat

I myself cannot wait for the new Super Mario Bros game (yes a new one not a remake) for the DS, from the two very short footages I've seen it retains the classic 2d platform gameplay but everything is in 3d (I'm talking about Mario, Goomba etc.)
Of course there's also Jump Superstars.

Futhermore DS price is confirmed at $150 and the game will cost around $30 I believe. For a new system its cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombrenuit
Super Mario 64 is great and all considering I don't own an N64 myself and am interested in playing it for a first time, but the game the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is truly fantastic is where my money is. I played this game from start to finish with a friend, and was amazed.
I don't think OoT will be ported, its not possible control wise. I could see them using the touch screen for the c-buttons, Action button and Bash button. There's also L or R (depending if your left or right handed) for "z" targeting. Which still leaves us using a shield.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 11:32   Link #7
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat
I myself cannot wait for the new Super Mario Bros game (yes a new one not a remake) for the DS, from the two very short footages I've seen it retains the classic 2d platform gameplay but everything is in 3d (I'm talking about Mario, Goomba etc.)
Of course there's also Jump Superstars.

Futhermore DS price is confirmed at $150 and the game will cost around $30 I believe. For a new system its cheap.

I don't think OoT will be ported, its not possible control wise. I could see them using the touch screen for the c-buttons, Action button and Bash button. There's also L or R (depending if your left or right handed) for "z" targeting. Which still leaves us using a shield.
plus i'd scream bloody murder at playing an expansive game like Zelda: OoT on a screen the size of my hand
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-01, 04:25   Link #8
GATX207_Blitz
Gobble Gobble

Send a message via MSN to GATX207_Blitz
the nintendo ds comes with a demo of metroid prime hunters which has singleplayer mode and a multilplayer function that uses the bluetooth. I also heard something about multiple forms of controls over the touch screen one and that its integrated intot the system??? not sure about that one but yea can't wait for the ds!
GATX207_Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote