AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira (OVA) - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 7 9.72%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 3 4.17%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 8.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 12.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 12.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 6.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 6.94%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 8.33%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 8 11.11%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 19.44%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-27, 06:34   Link #61
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorKK View Post
I don't understand why there're a lot of people think "Higurashi must be guro".
The mysteries were resolved. The blood scenes ended after Tsumihoroboshi-hen (or Minagoroshi-hen if you wanna count).
Do you realize that nearly no one was expecting the return of the mystery/serious aspect of the franchise?

Please read again the comments: the major problem we have with this episode is the over the top fanservice.
Should it was something akin to Rei 1-5, you would hardly have any complain whatsoever.

Higurashi is all about the characters, and it was certainly necessary to have some fun times to times. It is however the way it was portrayed that generates that kind of responses, that's it.
And frankly, the jokes themselves lacked a lot of spark and were hardly as clever/slapstick than we could have before with the main arcs or other side stories.
Old 2011-07-27, 09:56   Link #62
WarriorKK
天下御免の園崎詩・魅音
*Scanlator

Send a message via Yahoo to WarriorKK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Do you realize that nearly no one was expecting the return of the mystery/serious aspect of the franchise?

Please read again the comments: the major problem we have with this episode is the over the top fanservice.
Should it was something akin to Rei 1-5, you would hardly have any complain whatsoever.
I don't talk about any certain person. Those are what I saw in many forums, sites...

IRC Server: Quarknet - Channel: #higurashi or #hidebu - Time: 22:00-1:00 (GMT+7) - Language: Tiếng Việt/English/日本語
Higurashi Daybreak Wikia (V)
Old 2011-07-27, 10:29   Link #63
Noodle311
Furniture

I have yet to see it with subs, as my laptop is currently being repaired, and I'm stuck with an iPad to use until then.

Now, let's start this little review!

Music: I know that Rei has been slated, but I won't deny the opening to that was pretty good. This opening, however? Terrible. The song's annoying, yet catchy. The ED is forgettable. The choice of BGMs were random and generally unfitting.

Animation: I won't lie: I've seen fanimes with better animation skills. The opening's animation was lazy, and the ED wasn't far off. If. I. Type. Like. This. It represents the animation of the entire episode.

Art: I have to say, it is okay, but I prefer all the other art styles of the previous seasons. (Yes, even season one). I say halfway through episode two I'll get tired of seeing the art style.

Plot: ...I'm sorry, did I accidentally click on a link for hentai? Oh, God. This is the episode they took the punishment games too far. I know it was originally by Ryu07, but still. It felt like a half an hour of pure torture. Not to mention it was one huge filler. If anything, it made episode 1 and 5 of Rei look like essential, serious episodes.

Overall: Terrible start. I was hoping for more, but then I remembered this is DEEN we're talking about. I won't even try to raise my expectations for episode 2.

Rating: 2/10.
Old 2011-07-27, 14:51   Link #64
cereal_killerxx

I tried. I TRIED SO HARD TO WATCH IT. I was hoping it would be more like Rei. I was wrong.

This is garbage.
Old 2011-07-28, 05:44   Link #65
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Indeed. Personally, I actually enjoy a lot of silly fanservice, but the fanservice here... I fail to understand how it could be interpreted as such. If one is gonna bring forth fanservice, at least make it good fanservice.

The most insulting thing is that there clearly is no effort put into this. It is not a show as it is a collage of poorly conceived clips.

I'd easily watch something like Kiss x Sis or B Gata H Kei over this... :/ At least they don't feel like I'm being constantly insulted by the screen for 22 minutes.

Anyhow, I think they've failed one too many times for me. This level of failure is no ordinary fail; it requires a conscious effort to fail so hard.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-28, 06:09   Link #66
Vegard Aune

Yeah, I'm gonna have to mirror what everyone else said here... This was awful. I mean, the trailer already had me expecting a fanservice-episode but... This was far worse than I could have ever expected.
Old 2011-07-28, 12:51   Link #67
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Anyhow, I think they've failed one too many times for me. This level of failure is no ordinary fail; it requires a conscious effort to fail so hard.
So what you're saying is, DEEN was trolling. Shocking.
Old 2011-07-28, 13:56   Link #68
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

That's giving them too much credit.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-28, 23:01   Link #69
AdamEndless9
Straight-Edge Dragon Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna have to mirror what everyone else said here... This was awful.
I'm not one of them, so don't just group like that.
Old 2011-07-29, 02:13   Link #70
Joly
モエカステル

Sticking to what I said before... I do think the animation is great, as well as the design, in my opinion. Even the choice of colors during the episode. Maybe in the opening and animation, it does kind of bug me a bit. I guess my only problem with this episode is the storyline and I'm hoping the next episode I will enjoy since I really love Rika, Satoko, and Hanyuu.

I've been re-watching and going through making screenshots of the episode to make some graphics and Keiichi has some of the best expressions throughout the episode.

Spoiler for not a quality shot but this amused me so much:

Also, I couldn't help but notice blood on Rena's machete. Makes me wonder if they just "disposed" of her violently or if that's just for show...
Old 2011-07-29, 03:47   Link #71
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
So what you're saying is, DEEN was trolling. Shocking.
Yes trolling to make majority of people dislike the first episode, great idea DEEN. Minus the next episode preview, they set the bar pretty low for the remaining episodes. And regardless if they were trolling or not they could have attempted to make it a bit more funnier.
Old 2011-07-29, 05:07   Link #72
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Since posting my initial take on this OVA, much like Archon_Wing I kind of have to downgrade my rating to a 1 at this point. Some of the shots, specifically the fish eyed lense shot they used actually managed to cause significant strain on my eyesight making it downright painful. I also paid a little more attention to the opening just last night and even that looks really bad, especially the part where they are too cheap to animate the character moving and they just sort of dissolve awkwardly into different positions that are supposed to mimic them moving around.

I also can't get over the fact that some shots in the opening look like rough sketches where the outlines of the characters look noticeably pixelated and like they don't match up properly with the shape of the character themselves. What we have is a full blown Yashigani on our hands. It's just an impressively bad OVA on all levels. Like bordering on mid-80's one shot OVA bad, but at least I can point to those as having gratuitous camp value and being so bad they are good. There's really nothing redeemable that I can point to here. Not the plot, not the characters, not the artwork, not the animation, not the music, not the voice acting, not the script, not the direction, nothing, absolutely nothing. This basically almost never happens to me when it comes to anime, which I'm generally pretty forgiving of and usually able to find a silver lining in even the worst of productions I've seen. Like I can usually point to one key facet of a production that I can say is at least decent. I have to say I kind of feel sorry for anybody that actually spent money on this first volume because they basically got jipped. Did they actually charge the usual price for this?

Honestly I have to say this is pretty much the worst OVA production I have personally seen from this century so far bar none. In fact before this OVA the only other thing I've ever assigned a 1 rating to period were some chopped up Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z English Movie adaptations from the era where the normal localization process was hacking a work to pieces and basically changing and dumbing down almost everything about it. Dubious honor Deen......

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-07-29 at 05:18.
Old 2011-07-29, 12:38   Link #73
Furude Rika
Nyaa ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Furude Rika
I enjoyed it somehow (MiShi & Rika ecchi scenes :P), but yeah, it's bad. Really really bad ending song. Well, at least Rika's still very cute and ep 2 seems better with those magical things, so... 5/10.

Old 2011-07-31, 16:01   Link #74
Solafighter
Hige

+ Nice to see an new episode of one of my top favourite animes all times
+ Nice to see, that the characters dont change in their way
+ Interesting to see some better quality of the whole

- Plot

Best laugher on this episode:

Rika:"... wont forgive you..... Nipaa~"
Old 2011-07-31, 21:11   Link #75
CrimsonSunshine
We live to make tomorrow

So here are my thoughts, albeit late.

Higurashi Kira, I tried defending you before you aired. I tried so hard to justify your blatant fail, all because I was so happy to see Satoshi. But even that was thrown down the toilet!

To shorten this up a bit, I could simply say if the Shmion, Rika, Hanyuu, Takano and Chie ecchi scenes were thrown out, and the episode wasn't all Keiichi's delusions (apparently), I would have enjoyed it, if even a bit. But, what makes this episode truly painful to watch is that scene with Rika. I've never watched anything that I literally found painful to watch, until that scene.

The animation was shit, albeit I liked the art style. The OP is catchy and cute, but generic and bland. I enjoyed the ED more but oddly enough, I can't remember it at all now.

I gave it a 2. Yes, a 2. I would have gave it a 1, but it gets an extra point simply for containing my waifu Mion~

tl;dr:
Old 2011-07-31, 22:26   Link #76
Dark Wing

Seriously I don't think it was all that bad I mean you all did know this would be more fanservicey and slice of lifeish going in right?

I guess I'm not all that shocked because I figured since the main stories are out the way what else could Deen market now besides fanservice.
Old 2011-08-01, 03:59   Link #77
CrimsonSunshine
We live to make tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Seriously I don't think it was all that bad I mean you all did know this would be more fanservicey and slice of lifeish going in right?

I guess I'm not all that shocked because I figured since the main stories are out the way what else could Deen market now besides fanservice.
Well, while you may like it, is it really all that difficult to understand why so many do not? The main story is in fact out of the way, so I didn't expect a serious plot, and as a fan of slice of life, I didn't mind this! But, really...fanservice? Or rather, Rika washing a window with her butt? Really? That didn't bother you at all!?

Again...
Old 2011-08-01, 05:39   Link #78
WarriorKK
天下御免の園崎詩・魅音
*Scanlator

Send a message via Yahoo to WarriorKK
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSunshine View Post
Or rather, Rika washing a window with her butt? Really? That didn't bother you at all!?:
You haven't ever thought like that before?

IRC Server: Quarknet - Channel: #higurashi or #hidebu - Time: 22:00-1:00 (GMT+7) - Language: Tiếng Việt/English/日本語
Higurashi Daybreak Wikia (V)
Old 2011-08-01, 10:51   Link #79
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSunshine View Post
But, really...fanservice? Or rather, Rika washing a window with her butt? Really? That didn't bother you at all!?
Yes I can see why yet I really don't mind because in my many years of viewing anime I've personally seen fanservice way worse then this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorKK View Post
You haven't ever thought like that before?
And with this being said I can't wait to see the premier of a dream come true...Magical Girl Rika!
Old 2011-08-01, 12:55   Link #80
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Nobody, at least in here, expected a serious plot. If they did then they didn't see the trailer. That person does not exist. Stop referring to them. It was obvious that it was supposed to be lighthearted comedy.

Unfortunately, even given those kinds of expectations, it wasn't good, because it was so cheaply done. The visuals were crap, the animation I'd love to call trash, but it doesn't exist, and it wasn't even good fanservice. I've seen tons of ecchi comedies that can do far better, what the hell does this have to offer that Rei hasn't or some random fanart hasn't?

Not all fanservice has to be tasteless, after all.

This barely qualifies as anime (implies animation and moving pictures); though it may pass as a flash video. Who knows?

I mean come on, I've seen sexier things out of Umineko.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Closed Thread