AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-08, 22:34   Link #41
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Nope, not really. Why watch Noein when you could watch Black Lagoon, Ouran High School Host Club, etc? It's a matter of choice, but well, not many like bad animation.
Old 2006-06-08, 23:29   Link #42
DwArD
mAnIaC

Current:
1. Fate/Stay Night
2. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
3. Demonbane TV
4. Tokko
5. Utawarerumono
7. Ah! My Goddess Sorezore no Tsubasa

General:
1. Gundam Seed/GSD
2. Full Metal Panic (All 3 seasons)
3. Shingetsutan Tsukihime
4. Ah! My Goddess
5. Kannazuki no Miko
6. Shakugan no Shana
7. Mai Hime

Please note that the above animes are not ranked in order. As far as I'm concern, all of them are really great animes. And I'm sure some of you might have noticed that most of the animes I've listed doesn't really have sad endings in it, except for Kannazuki no Miko and Tsukihime.
Old 2006-06-09, 02:33   Link #43
Zappster

I thought the animation in Noein was great. The opening battle scene for example had some brilliant animation.
Old 2006-06-09, 11:03   Link #44
eternal

Dward,what you watches and what you like are quite similiar to mind.It looks like you just watch everything,from Gundam mecha to shoujo ai Kannazuki no miko,good one!

I need more recommendation from you,although you've already created a list for me ^^

Regarding the ah my goddess series,i started to show interest in it,because Dward likes it,hieh hieh.I' didn't watch it despite the high popularity cause in my mind it's just some shoujo anime for desperate typical girlish chicks.However,i used to be a fan of Ah my goddess.i think it's probably around 10 years ago since i watched it.It must be the OVA,i watched it when i was like 9~12,can't remember,really! I actually liked the story but i didn't watch the ending,but somehow i know that despite the obstacles of the fact that belldandy and keeichi drawing towards each other will cause catastrophe the ending must be one that can satisfy the audience.And because it was an anime i watched long ago,i didn't really bother it anymore.

Now one question,if i watched the Ah my goddess tv series(2005) without running through the past OVAs and movies,can i still be on the right track?

thanks in advance!! more gundam!!
Old 2006-06-11, 11:31   Link #45
eternal

someone answer me,can?
Old 2006-06-11, 13:49   Link #46
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal
someone answer me,can?
Yes, you'd be fine. The TV series retells the OVA.
Old 2006-06-11, 15:29   Link #47
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Yeah, there are parts you'll recognize in the TV series but which go into much more detail than they could in the short OAV lifespan, but in no way do you need to watch the OAV first.

As for 7 series I like... hmm, no particular order, and this includes current as well as not current.

1: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. This one should be on everyone's watch list.
2: Full Metal Panic S1, Fumoffu and S2.
3: Love Hina.
4: Uchuu no Stellvia
5: Aria The Animation (and S2 Natural). Slice of life, very relaxed and gently series. Great to unwind to.
6: Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
7: Mai HiME

I could easily list more excellent series, but since you asked for 7
Old 2006-06-18, 12:50   Link #48
AisuruMirai
箱者

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
What anime is that in your avatar, AM?
Please forgive the fantastically late reply: The anime is 少女革命ウテナ/Shoujo Kakumei Utena/Revolutionary Girl Utena (the series, not the movie).

アイスル未来
Old 2006-06-18, 14:28   Link #49
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Current
1. Fate/Stay Night(Just finished this week): A very nice unique one. The overall plot is kind of dry but the character definitly make up for it. The Plot is basically the Holy Grail war, 7 people fight it out with 7 servents. But the characters are great. There are a lot of love/hate ones.
2. Ouran High School Host: The first of the Haruhi shows A great new show. Its up, perky, and silly. But again its so much fun to watch. Love the Twins and Honey.
3. Haruhi Suzumiya: Easily one of the most unique animes out there now. You just have to watch it lol
4. Air Gear: I read the manga over the anime, but the anime is good too. A great funny show.

All time
1. Twelve kingdoms: I just loved every single episode of this. It had everything in it. And the plot was just incridible deep and twisting and everything. Just a great great great show.
2. Gundam Wing: You know what, The Japaniese can go fall off a cliff. This like most other people was my first Gundam Series and its great. They also just released the Anime Legend sets so you can get all 49 episodes for around 70dollars. But it is really a great show. I guess I enjoyed it since the mechs are just the coolest in this one than any other one and also it doesnt involve Zeon lol.
3.Kenshin: Second Arc Kyoto and Trust and Betrayal: The first Arc and the Thrid arc are just a ton of short story ones but this one is a whole big story. And just a great set of enemies. And Trust and Betrayal is how he became who he is. You can pretty much ingrone the first arc, thrid and the movie. But read the Manga for the Real Thrid Arc.
4.Maburho: You know why I love this. The best ending ever lol. It like for all these love animes they always have that ending where they pick someone. Nope not for this one lol. Everyone gets one
5.Escaflowne: A great mecha but not mecha type show. I enjoyed it.
Old 2006-06-19, 00:44   Link #50
mastermind

Send a message via AIM to mastermind
All Time Favorites

1. Kimi Ga Nozoumu Eien
2. Elfen Lied
3. Naruto
4. Rurouni Kenshin
5. Inuyasha
6. Yakitate!! Japan
7. Full Metal Panic (All Series)
8. Full Metal Alchemist
9. His and Her Circumstances
10. Ah! My Goddess
11. Fruits Basket
12. Bleach
13. Love Hina (All Series)
14. Tenjou Tenge
15. Scrapped Princess
Old 2006-06-19, 23:57   Link #51
lockey2k

Current Fav.
Ouran
Witchblade
Black Lagoon
One Piece (Save Robin~shawwn)

All time
- Porco Rosco (crimson pig)
- Naussica
- Here's Greenwood
- Kimaguri Orange Road
- Kenshin OVA (makes me want /wrists)
- GITS SAC ('nother /wrists)
Old 2006-06-20, 00:13   Link #52
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockey2k
- GITS SAC ('nother /wrists)
I've never heard someone describe stand alone complex as depressing... is it? I was thinking about finally giving in and watching it.
Old 2006-06-20, 01:43   Link #53
iceyfw

gits sac isnt depressing. ok maybe in some parts but its not.

any anime i like and has not been spoiled for me yet... like if theres any in the kiba and .hack.roots thread, theres plenty in there.
Old 2006-06-20, 02:52   Link #54
Ten
emo-queen

Top faves (in no particular order):

1. Twelve Kingdoms
2. Fantastic Children
3. Hana Yori Dango
4. YYH - I'm sentimental about this one.
5. One Piece
6. Last Exile
7. Hikaru no Go

Honorable mention: Noein - haven't seen the ending yet.

For this season:

1. Saiunkoku Monogatari
2. Black Lagoon
3. Ouran High
4. Major
5. Good witch of the west

My list keeps changing every month. Except for 12K, the others pretty much fluctuate whenever the mood strikes. ;p
Old 2006-06-20, 04:35   Link #55
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Time for an update

1. a. Shingetsutan Tsukihime
b. Honey and Clover
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Ocean Waves
Old 2006-06-20, 05:33   Link #56
yamikage

My general top 7. May not be in any particular order, as I might blow my brains out trying to sort them:

1) Gundam Wing/Mobile Suit Gundam/Zeta Gundam/Turn A Gundam - Bah, I can't separate these four, otherwise I'd instantly lose four slots for my top seven. MSG is my personal favorite of the four but I equally love the other three, as they have something that makes them different from the others. I love Wing for introducing me to Gundam and its politics, MSG for having the most realistic take on war above the others not to mention for actually being a great series, Zeta for Kamille's development throughout the series and for how he ends up, and Turn A for being the most pleasant and the most well-written Gundam series. What can I say, I'm a Gundamtard.
2) Great Teacher Onizuka - Onizuka is one hell of a motherf****r. This series is hilarious and awesome. And I couldn't care less about the fluctuating animation quality when I'm laughing out loud to Onizuka's "lessons". Also gets plus points for having a different ending from the manga.
3) Fruits Basket - The only shoujo anime that I'm ranking as a favorite. This series made me experience a myriad of emotions. The characters (except for Tohru) are very human and one can easily relate to them.
4) Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal OVA - This is a more realistic and darker retelling of how Hitokiri Battousai came to be, as opposed to the somewhat lighter manga. I love this OVA more than the TV series itself. The second OVA was the one that made me /wrists and I loathe it with a passion.
5) Haibane Renmei - I remember marathoning this series in Animax. I love this series also for being both pleasant and sad at times without going too extreme on either side. I also love the plot, setting, the music, the artwork and how they blend extremely well.
6) Azumanga Daioh - A slice-of-life anime that made me laugh out loud at times, and yet brought me to tears in the last episode. There's something about this series that makes it special, yet I can't seem to put it into words. I'm pretty sure it's more than the humor.
7) Cowboy Bebop - The fluid fight animation and the great music got me from episode one. I also liked how one episode is independent from each other at first glance, but is actually connected in some way or another. Plus the ending was just plain awesome.

Animes I've recently watched or I'm watching right now, hence my current favorites:

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni - This show is above the ones below, as this is what I'm really craving for each week. It's close to becoming an all-time favorite. You can either take it as it is, or dig deeper and try to make sense of what the hell is happening. Even if the second part was a bit disappointing for me, I still have high regard and hope for this series, especially after watching the first chapter and episode 11.
Utawarerumono - Because beating the crap out of other people with a fan is awesome. I like this because of the epic feel.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - I admit I became interested in this series after I saw the ending sequence. Anyway, I watch it for the laughs.
Ouran High School Host Club - And I watch this one for even more laughs, especially when the above does not deliver. Watching the two Haruhis after watching Higurashi works better than watching just one. I feel less afraid and/or less depressed after I've watched these two after Higurashi.
Mushishi - Quirky. It feels a bit like Kino's Journey, but then again, I haven't watched much of Kino. I'm loving it, though. If all goes well, this may go into my all-time faves.
Fate/Stay Night - Okay, so it's over. I liked it, but it's far from being an all-time favorite. I still like Tsukihime more than this but I await and hope for UBW and HF OVA. I can't look forward to a Melty Blood OVA considering what happened to Tsukihime anime's ending.
Rozen Maiden/Traumend - Suiseiseki, Suigintou and Hina Ichigo were interesting and likeable characters. I seemed to watch this only for their interactions with other characters. I couldn't get into the whole deal with the Alice Game.
Shakugan No Shana - I'm watching this because, oh God, Shana is hot! Just kidding, I'm just quite amused with Shana's interactions with Yuuji. I'd also like to know how this will end up.

Wow, this ended up long.
Old 2006-06-20, 09:39   Link #57
Arwyn

Top seven? Hmm..

Shingetsutan Tsukihime-
Deep story, deep characters, awesome music score, and not the standard plot.
Tsukihime hooked me big time, I wish it had more episodes. Asks a lot of tough questions about what is really important.

RaXephon-
A male lead who wasnt a indecisive repellant wimp. Deep story, interesting characters, a plot that made you think. Great music. What EVA should have been.
One of the few anime that had me sitting there at the end going "wow". Definately some heavy duty mental lifting going on with this as well.

Ghost in the Shell & Ghost in the Shell: Innocence-
Definately movies that make you think. Incredibly intricate and complex, there is a lot going on in both, takes several viewings to pick up stuff you missed the first few times.

KGNE-
A very serious plot, a lot of drama, and despite it all, well written and with very appealing characters. Like getting hit by an emo truck, but a good example of what can be done with a series.

Grave of the Fireflies-
The best anime you will only ever watch once in your entire life. If you ever want to completely shutdown someone who says anime is for kids, make them watch this.

Ah! My Goddess-
A complete opposite to most stuff I watch, but I like it for that reason. Its happy, people are decent to each other and there is kind of silly, but in a sweet way. In short, its a pretty good show to lift your mood after a lousy day, or to many "heavy" anime titles.

Onegai Teacher/Twins-
Similar to Ah! My Goddess, its lighthearted, very funny, and completely not serious. A good way to relax.

Up and coming titles;

Mushishi-
I love this show. Its pretty deep, very tranquil, and pretty insightful as well. I really have enjoyed the series.

Black Lagoon-
Style, cool characters, and a deeper plot going on then it first lets on. I am pretty interested in where this one is going.

Utawarerumono-
A very interesting title. I checked it out on a whim, and I am really glad I did. Very interestng storyline and I like the way its developinig.

Tokko-
I really liked the manga, so I was pleased to see the anime, and I like the direction its headed so far. Kind of sterotypical on plot, but well done.
Old 2006-06-20, 10:14   Link #58
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
I've never heard someone describe stand alone complex as depressing... is it? I was thinking about finally giving in and watching it.
No, not really. Like Honey and Clover (but less so) GiTS has a definite attraction to the quality of ephemeral imperfection. Sometimes people will call it depressing, but it's more accurate to call it bittersweet. Even then, GiTS only passingly touches on those things and doesn't spend nearly as much time on it as Honey and Clover, so I really wouldn't consider it depressing at all.

Of course, he could have been slashing his wrists because the dialogue can be very hard to follow. Unfortunately it uses a lot of technical terminology (some of which has been created by the series), so it can be somewhat difficult to follow along with.

And you should never "give in" and watch something. Your time would be more productively spent rewatching something you liked than watching something simply because you feel like you have to.
Old 2006-06-20, 10:22   Link #59
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I've rewatched the sixth episode of H&C four times already, the twentieth episode about three times ... damn. I agree, bittersweet. It's not depressing at all.
Old 2006-06-20, 11:31   Link #60
DaFool
Resident devil

Current anime:

1. Aria the Natural -- its got low budget, bad animation, no plot, corny dialogue, recycled themes. It also happens to be excellent.

2. Black Lagoon --- balls, brains, more balls, even more balls. And a maid. with grenades. Yeah. Excellent animation, excellent intelligent script (even when they're just cussing).

3. Nishi no Yoko Majo Astrea Testament -- excellent setting, architecture and music, really crazy insane society with fucked up traditions, childhood friends, and a fanfic-writing bunny girl princess. Need I say more?

4-7. I don't really care, whatever's on is enjoyable.

General Anime:

1. Haibane Renmei -- Quite easily the most symbolic anime ever, and also features a unique worldview, sympathetic characters, excellent music, relaxed slice-of-life atmosphere with darker undertones.

2. Mushishi -- Know how you felt after finishing the last episode of a favorite anime? Now multiply this by 26 times (1 after every episode)

3. Planetes -- well-researched, extremely realistic science fiction. It hits about every modern problem the world is experiencing, while at the same time featuring likeable characters and hints of romance. I'd say its the most technically competent anime script-wise.

4. Blue Submarine No 6. -- It's a special taste. Island of Doctor Moreau in a post-apocalyptic waterworld, genetically-enhanced mermaids and really blatantly ugly CG. Add to it one really philosophical mad scientist and it's just my thing.

5. Air -- THE bishoujo anime of all time (so far). It also makes for a good relaxation experience since its featured in a small town setting and has excellent music.

6. Gunbuster I. This was the Gainax anime that blew me away the first time I saw it on the big screen. It was (and I think still is) the pinnacle of over-the-top epic fanservice science-fiction anime.

7. Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito -- For some strange reason this anime stuck in my head longer than the masterpiece (in my opinion) that was Last Exile. I swear, I wasn't drunk. But my brain was messed up....I marathoned this thing and just remembered all the flying boobies and cutie witchgirl and genki music and....oh, the yuri!

Also would like to notably special mention Marimite and Gunslinger Girls for being the most technically competent yuri and noir anime respectively, easily beating their competitors (like, um, Kannazuki no Miko or Noir lol).

edit...I just remembered Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha and A's! Put that on #1. Bump all the other hi-falutin' titles down!

Last edited by DaFool; 2006-06-20 at 11:53.
Closed Thread