AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2011-10-12, 23:06   Link #941
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman24 View Post
Yeah, and that's a shame, I probably would have loved to write some Imca fics or other ones if I got to know the characters and their personalities
Who knows? Maybe a translation project will come around.

But in the meantime, keep at the VC2 oneshots.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 03:03   Link #942
Snowman24

So, Runty, have you ever watched a movie called, 'Hanna'? The first 20 or 30 minutes of it are VERY Marina+Her Father like... down to the point that they lived in a cabin, in the wilderness, seperated from the rest of humanity...like-so... and... stuff...

Sorry, when I watched this movie recently, I was think... MAN! This is SO Marina Wulfstan and her Father like movie! Sure, the rest may not match... you'd have to watch it all to understand.
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 14:04   Link #943
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
My, my, it certainly is unnerving to see this thread being dominated by Runty and Snowman. Not that that's a bad thing per-se, it's just sad to see only two people that have actively been working on Valkyria Chronicles fanfictions for a while.

Yes, I should be one to talk... Snowman, I will say I have been writing for Ordinarily Extraordinary, and I've still attempted to work on it. I do expect a finish chapter. What I don't expect, is for it to be easy on me. And believe me, having this story as a Dead Fic is of my most grievous regrets...

In other news, perhaps something I might work on a bit later, is another story idea I had for VC. It's not unlike your own minific collection, Snowman. However, I've had this idea since I was regularly writing OE, but I didn't want to act upon it since it would likely tumble my priorities when it came to VC stories. Guess you beat me to it, man. Wouldn't hurt to at least share what I've got:

Spoiler for Behind Amatrain's Walls:

Spoiler for Example 1: Wavy:

Spoiler for Example 2: Hermes:

Spoiler for Example 3: Noce:

Spoiler for Example 4: Wendy:

A couple of ideas I'm just throwing around, and I thought I'd just drop by and see what you guys would think.
Old 2011-10-15, 17:43   Link #944
Snowman24

^Wow, ain't seen you around here for quite some time, Mr.Wang

Yes, as a HUGE VC fan, I feel a certain obligation to keep the fanfic thread alive :P And as you can see, it's certainly keeping me busy these days :P Though I'm taking a break from VC1 fics and trying to spread some love for the characters of VC2 *Especially Magari <3 *

So... any idea when/if you'll update you OE fic? Been waiting... a year? now, close to.
Old 2011-10-15, 23:29   Link #945
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wang View Post
My, my, it certainly is unnerving to see this thread being dominated by Runty and Snowman. Not that that's a bad thing per-se, it's just sad to see only two people that have actively been working on Valkyria Chronicles fanfictions for a while.

Yes, I should be one to talk... Snowman, I will say I have been writing for Ordinarily Extraordinary, and I've still attempted to work on it. I do expect a finish chapter. What I don't expect, is for it to be easy on me. And believe me, having this story as a Dead Fic is of my most grievous regrets...

In other news, perhaps something I might work on a bit later, is another story idea I had for VC. It's not unlike your own minific collection, Snowman. However, I've had this idea since I was regularly writing OE, but I didn't want to act upon it since it would likely tumble my priorities when it came to VC stories. Guess you beat me to it, man. Wouldn't hurt to at least share what I've got:

Spoiler for Behind Amatrain's Walls:

Spoiler for Example 1: Wavy:

Spoiler for Example 2: Hermes:

Spoiler for Example 3: Noce:

Spoiler for Example 4: Wendy:

A couple of ideas I'm just throwing around, and I thought I'd just drop by and see what you guys would think.
That's good. Hopefully you can add more stories like Cezary, Nadine, Marina and Ted.
Old 2011-10-17, 02:37   Link #946
Mirena

It has been a while since I checked this thread and I figured that it was about time to pop in again.

Last time I was having some problems with lack of information for writing something, but I noticed that there have been some more posts that seem like they should be helpful. (That and I managed to dig up some stuff I yet have to read.) Still haven't made any progress on my fic though, and it expect it to be slow. Perhaps I'll attempt one about something else on the side.

Regarding fanfiction in general, I have a few questions. What is the general stance on improbable what-if-scenarios? If find that they can be quite entertaining if done well - in the rest of the cases you're usually left with a train wreck.

And how do you handle headcanon? At least in my case, I feel that when being fond of a series for a while, you see things differently. You'll have your assumptions, little things that seem natural inside your head even though there is little to no basis for them, things lifted from various places, fanfiction perhaps. So in a way it feels like the original gradually is twisted into a much more personal interpretation. How much of this is it "okay" to add? Do you enjoy when an author goes all out and adds their own flavor? Or is it merely annoying?

Last edited by Mirena; 2011-10-17 at 05:40.
Mirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 13:04   Link #947
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirena View Post
Spoiler for Quote:
For "What-if" scenarios, I'm not sure quite sure I could give a universal answer. It is fanfiction after all. Some people might be dissatisfied with a scenario that happened in canon, or some people might be genuinely curious of these what-if's. It depends on how drastic the change might be from canon. If you change maybe a couple minor things, perhaps not too many people will mind. If it's a complete derailment from some main canon concept, or just something totally different in general, it might help to at least notify if you're keeping this as an AU (Alternate Universe, as some fanfic writer's say) story very early on, like in the summary. That way, people will expect changes, but you won't (or at least shouldn't) get angry reviews asking why you changed something, when you simply stated from the beginning that you'll be deviating from canon. You'd attract readers who would be interested in reading this what-if alternate scenario.

In terms of adding personal flavor, it's very true that nobody can universally agree with how some character or concept will work. I suppose that this can especially apply to a lot of the Valkyria Chronicles characters outside of the main cast, due to how much they are left somewhat ambiguous enough to be left to personal interpretations. While some people may get irked or upset if characters aren't portrayed the same way they may see them, I know that many people will find these interpretations quite engaging. After all, if everything was the same, things would get boring after a while, right?
Old 2011-10-17, 13:40   Link #948
Beri270T3

@Mirena

I wholeheartedly agree with you on improbable what ifs and what ifs in general. They can be really well done despite the occasional slip ups in the background. Most though that I've read in fanfiction were not that great. Normally it was because the author did not account for their changes to the canon. A handful were Mary Sue type fics. Others though are very dry because they get to be too detail oriented and therefore there is a lack of character development which is the key element of the story, or they did not hold true to certain characters.
What ifs are the same idea as alternate history and I have read a few series of alternate history. Again there are the slip ups that do leave me wondering how or why it contradicts itself all of a sudden, but for the most part they are good.

Fanon is good. It adds the author's unique perspective of events, characters or whatever for the rest of us to enjoy. However if it seems natural to you, the challenge is trying to establish it as natural to your audience. Unfortunately i can't think of a good example at the moment.

Last edited by Beri270T3; 2011-10-17 at 13:53. Reason: Addition
Beri270T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 17:42   Link #949
Owlette

I wonder, are there any more of fanfic writers sites that is sort of like the conceptart.org forum? It seems there is only fanfiction.net site. Recurrently, I just found the Fantasy Writers site that does accept fanfic stories, but I feel it is not enough because I am not a fantasy writer anymore. Do anybody know where fanfic sites are? You can PM me for writers sites. I really want to see 'em.

[Oct. 29, 2011: Found few awesome writers & authors sites. Now, don't mind this comment. Thanks for reading. ]

Last edited by Owlette; 2011-10-29 at 14:22. Reason: An update.
Owlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 23:42   Link #950
Snowman24

Personally, I think that so long as you stick to the events *Canon* of the story line, BUT can change little things inbetween each event, then it's quite alright. But if you actually change an event that happened, then it kinda doesn't really work. Not to say that it's not enjoyable to read sometimes.

Now, the same can't be said for the "Minor" characters, in VC1 all of the characters only had 2 or 3 paragraphs that described their lives and no actual time on the screen during cutscenes *Which was REALLY odd! Where were all of the 20+ members you can take with you on missions when;
Spoiler for VC1 spoiler:

Anyways, I think the side characters can be changed anyway you want. Their own little stories won't affect the story Canon--most likely--in such a way that it'll change everything. Which is why I stick to stories that have squad mates or side characters within the main story line and don't really touch Welkin, Alicia, Largo, Rosie or any other main characters in my stories *with the exception of Selvaria, but not enough in a way that makes her part seem TOO unlikely*
Old 2011-10-18, 23:42   Link #951
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Spoiler for VC1 spoiler:
I'm not good with writing a fanfic yet, but there are times when I wished I wrote a small scene where Welkin went out and made a Tristan Ludlow of himself during the night after that tragedy by

Spoiler for Legends of the Fall:
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 01:37   Link #952
Beri270T3

Quote:
Anyways, I think the side characters can be changed anyway you want. Their own little stories won't affect the story Canon--most likely--in such a way that it'll change everything. Which is why I stick to stories that have squad mates or side characters within the main story line and don't really touch Welkin, Alicia, Largo, Rosie or any other main characters in my stories *with the exception of Selvaria, but not enough in a way that makes her part seem TOO unlikely*
Hypocrisy! Just kidding Snowman. In terms of Valkyria Chronicles 2 I'd say from everything I've heard about it, it could use a lot more grounding. Especially in terms of Avan, Cosette, and a few of the supporting cast. As far as the first game goes, changing things up could be a real refresher from time to time. Even within the canon an author could modify personalities of the main cast so we see a more developed character. In my case, I've always been wondering about salvaging Georg von Damon, put him in a positive light with the audience and maintain the negative views of subordinates.

'The Legend of the Fall' influence is certainly one route an author could go there Kira. Another more general one I can think of due to that incident is 'one heartbreak leads to another.'
Beri270T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 04:27   Link #953
Snowman24

Coleen and Morris fanfic, preview #2

Spoiler for preview #2:
Old 2011-10-22, 04:31   Link #954
Snowman24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I'm not good with writing a fanfic yet, but there are times when I wished I wrote a small scene where Welkin went out and made a Tristan Ludlow of himself during the night after that tragedy by

Spoiler for Legends of the Fall:
That could work you know. Since the scene from Isara's
Spoiler for VC1 spoiler:
to the Bruhl mission had a two week period in between. Yeah, two or was it three weeks passed inbetween the Marberry shore and Bruhl mission.

So who's to say what really happened in those few weeks, it seems perfectly plausible enough that Welkin coulda went on that rage and recovered his mind before the Bruhl mission :P
Old 2011-10-22, 15:16   Link #955
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I'm not good with writing a fanfic yet, but there are times when I wished I wrote a small scene where Welkin went out and made a Tristan Ludlow of himself during the night after that tragedy by...
That could be turned into a dream sequence of sorts akin to one seen in the Punisher 'Up is Down and Black is White' arc... sure, he goes completely around the bend, but...

Spoiler for ...here's the kicker:
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 16:32   Link #956
Snowman24

OOOh o_O that sounds interesting! Love that point/idea

Or Alicia could come charging at him to stop him as he goes on his rampage and he accidentially slashes her across the face or body as he turns around... or maybe even stabs her, but
Spoiler for VC1 spoiler:
Old 2011-10-25, 12:28   Link #957
Runty

Quote:
Coleen and Morris fanfic, preview #2

Spoiler for preview #2:
Spoiler for My thoughts:

Sorry it took me so long to answer this. Been busy with midterms.
Old 2011-10-27, 00:00   Link #958
Runty

Moar plz, Snowman.
Old 2011-10-29, 03:45   Link #959
Snowman24

I have a few paths from which decide to take. This could be a short one shot fic or a long one like my last ones. And it can range from 5,000 words to 10 or 15 or even a 20 thousand word fanfic.

That all depends which route I take :P

Spoiler for fanfic ideas:
Old 2011-10-29, 05:20   Link #960
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
I have a few paths from which decide to take. This could be a short one shot fic or a long one like my last ones. And it can range from 5,000 words to 10 or 15 or even a 20 thousand word fanfic.

That all depends which route I take :P

Spoiler for fanfic ideas:
2 please.

Tags
fanfiction