Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2005-01-04, 19:09   Link #21
Esper 28
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake64
there were quite a few charactersi would have loved to see in that movie like kamille but it's great as it is

EDIT: just thought of something, wasnt 0080 released after char's counterattack was released?
Yes it was. Gundam 0080 was released in 1989 in Japan. Char's Counterattack was released in 1988. So, chances are, that wasn't Chris Mackenzie...
Esper 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 19:10   Link #22
aeolian

Did yu kajima made it to CCA in the manga? People say he was launching in a jegan, no sure though, it would be great if he was in the movie.
aeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 19:14   Link #23
[UKE]Auel
The Oncoming Storm

Send a message via AIM to [UKE]Auel Send a message via MSN to [UKE]Auel
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeolian
Did yu kajima made it to CCA in the manga? People say he was launching in a jegan, no sure though, it would be great if he was in the movie.
The Blue Destiny manga didn't even come out until 1998, so fat chance.
[UKE]Auel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 19:40   Link #24
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Eh? You mean some people actually think that Char and Amuro are still alive after going out in that spectacular manner? Eh?

Errr, I guess they have been playing too much Super Robot Wars - where for some reason, Char always starts out as Quattro...
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 21:30   Link #25
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
Lemme ask a question about CCA that I've always wondered. Is that Christina Mackenzie we see for like 5 seconds on a beach? I know her hair is darker, but I always wondered why they'd bother putting in a random character being addressed as 'christina' at that point in the movie.
Well, she (or someone who looks exactly like her) actually DOES seem to make an appearance in 0083 though... Then again, "Sayla" also appears in Gundam Wing, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake64
EDIT: instead of making a new thread i'll ask here. whats the deal with mobile suit gundam: side story? i heard it was an ova version of blue destiny http://images.animetoxic.com/cover/J101-A038.jpg
I believe that's just a compilation video of the animation footages from the game... There is no original animation released on video of the Thoroughbred Sidestory that I know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [UKE]Auel
The Blue Destiny manga didn't even come out until 1998, so fat chance.
I have heard stuff about him piloting and dying during the Second Neo-Zeon War as part of his story... I really don't remember the exact details though.
Old 2005-01-04, 22:28   Link #26
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

Yea, thats what I heard too about the side story...Lucky thing I asked around cuz I was about it buy it until I heard it was real short and no sub titles on DVD. Although the Gundam GO4 is a awsome MS...well I mean the Master Grade version of it.
Syn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 23:47   Link #27
ForceFreedom

I didn't really get the point, or enjoy for that matter, the whole subplot between Hathaway and Quess. Chan could've died a less-lame way if it wasnt for that whiny punk.

Anyways, like Char, I thought Bright's tactic of hiding a nuke within a barrage of ordinary missles was brilliant. That would really pwn any of the pilots in SEED, unless of course they had Meteor to just blow everything up.
ForceFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 23:56   Link #28
Abicion
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Abicion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFreedom
I didn't really get the point, or enjoy for that matter, the whole subplot between Hathaway and Quess.
That's the problem. If you've never read Hathaway's Flash, you basically have no idea why Tomino even included him in the movie, aside from being Noah's son, a passive angst-ridden sideplot device, and the token "Hero pilot loses his love interest as cannon fodder" character that Tomino seems to be obsessed with.

Spoiler:
On an related note, I have no idea what the heck the mech designer was smoking when he came up with Xi Gundam and Gundam Penelope, but I think I want some.
Spoiler:

Hmm ... I have to wonder if this will inspire Sunrise to make an
Spoiler:

Last edited by Abicion; 2005-01-05 at 00:20.
Abicion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 00:14   Link #29
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abicion
That's the problem. If you've never read Hathaway's Flash, you basically have no idea why Tomino even included him in the movie (aside from being Noah's son and all)

Spoiler:
On an related note, I have no idea what the mech designer was smoking when he came up with Xi Gundam and Gundam Penelope, but I think I want some.
Damn...
Xi Gundam

Gundam Penelope

God those MS's look like they're on steroids.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 00:22   Link #30
snake64

i wish i could get scanlated versions of those manga, i know a lot of their stories from reading about them online but actually having a copy of them (scanlated so i can understand them) would be great
snake64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 00:44   Link #31
Abicion
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Abicion
Hathaway's Flash is a series of three novels, not manga. Pure, untranslated Japanese text with one illustration every thirty pages (if you're lucky)
Abicion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 01:08   Link #32
snake64

i think thats just as good but chances are it will never be brought here
snake64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 04:07   Link #33
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

Spoiler:
Syn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 08:46   Link #34
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abicion
That's the problem. If you've never read Hathaway's Flash, you basically have no idea why Tomino even included him in the movie, aside from being Noah's son, a passive angst-ridden sideplot device, and the token "Hero pilot loses his love interest as cannon fodder" character that Tomino seems to be obsessed with.
Well, there's the fact that Hathaway's Flash is the followup to the novel version of Char's Counterattack, subtitled Beltorchika's Children... Judging from the title you can tell that it's quite different from the movie itself (plus it is where the Hi-Nu Gundam and Nightingale came from).

So Tomino could have always omitted Quess and Hathaway from the anime version if he wanted... But I guess they are just there to take up time. Unless he plans on making an anime version of HF in the future, of course (which I doubt)
Old 2011-06-19, 12:28   Link #35
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Char’s back with a new hairdo and is ready to kick some ass. Not just Char though. Amuro’s back too and is ready to settle the score once and for all. This was the seventh story I watched but I didn’t feel like it started off that well since I was thrown head first into a new conflict out of nowhere (they start off by revealing that Char is alive, has gathered forces and is about to throw an asteroid on the Earth to send it into an ice age and I was just like “Wtf?!?! What the hell is going on here?!?!) but once I got my bearings straight, it became a lot more entertaining. Amuro and Char’s relationship has always been great to watch but it always amazes me just how much they can talk about philosophy and human nature whilst pounding the living crap out of one another. Though I can’t believe Char was arrogant enough to give Amuro the device that would allow him to fight on par with Char. Such typically shonen-like crap should not belong here.

I wish Sayla took a more active role in story, since it was the grand finale for Char. And apparently Guss was originally meant to be Kamille. Damn, now that would’ve been something. I kinda wish it happened. But I am glad that Judau stayed out of the picture. He does not belong in good stories.

The new side plot with Quess is a bit of a mixed bag though. I can understand that a character like Quess is intentionally meant to be incredibly unbearable. But I reckon something like that is better off in a running series where such a character can be developed more slowly and so easier to swallow. But I can’t deny that it did a lot for Hathaway’s character. He actually gets angry enough to kill someone. And not just anyone, he killed Amuro’s lover (Hey what happened to that clingy blonde reporter anyway?). I can only imagine what Amuro would’ve done had he survived and found out.

Overall: 8/10

Unfortunately I accidently spoiled myself with what happens to Hathaway later, but damn, just hearing about it makes me depressed. Is the novel translated?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-19, 19:54   Link #36
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Char’s back with a new hairdo and is ready to kick some ass. Not just Char though. Amuro’s back too and is ready to settle the score once and for all. This was the seventh story I watched but I didn’t feel like it started off that well since I was thrown head first into a new conflict out of nowhere (they start off by revealing that Char is alive, has gathered forces and is about to throw an asteroid on the Earth to send it into an ice age and I was just like “Wtf?!?! What the hell is going on here?!?!) but once I got my bearings straight, it became a lot more entertaining. Amuro and Char’s relationship has always been great to watch but it always amazes me just how much they can talk about philosophy and human nature whilst pounding the living crap out of one another. Though I can’t believe Char was arrogant enough to give Amuro the device that would allow him to fight on par with Char. Such typically shonen-like crap should not belong here.

I wish Sayla took a more active role in story, since it was the grand finale for Char. And apparently Guss was originally meant to be Kamille. Damn, now that would’ve been something. I kinda wish it happened. But I am glad that Judau stayed out of the picture. He does not belong in good stories.

The new side plot with Quess is a bit of a mixed bag though. I can understand that a character like Quess is intentionally meant to be incredibly unbearable. But I reckon something like that is better off in a running series where such a character can be developed more slowly and so easier to swallow. But I can’t deny that it did a lot for Hathaway’s character. He actually gets angry enough to kill someone. And not just anyone, he killed Amuro’s lover (Hey what happened to that clingy blonde reporter anyway?). I can only imagine what Amuro would’ve done had he survived and found out.

Overall: 8/10

Unfortunately I accidently spoiled myself with what happens to Hathaway later, but damn, just hearing about it makes me depressed. Is the novel translated?
1) Funny that you mention that when I've seen other series get blasted for also having instances where people waxed poetic while pressing swords.

2) I think it was more chivalry on the part of Char. He wanted to be able to tell himself he defeated Amuro with no advantages and prove he was superior.

3) Blasphemy! Judau in CCA would have been amazing.

4) I was rolling with laughter when I read about Hathaway's fate.
Old 2011-06-26, 06:06   Link #37
Aqua Knight

The only thing that made me go WTF? was when Quess jumped from her suit to Char's and survived. I remember Kamile opening his helm in space and Emma closing it right away, but here it was just ridiculous.
Old 2011-06-26, 08:23   Link #38
JC...
I am a Pie

I already looked it up and explained it to someone else, it's possible to survive in space for a very short amount of time without dying or becoming ill due to lack of oxygen (Like Amuro's dad). She was only out there in a matter of seconds.

I don't know how accurate the portrayal is though.
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-26, 09:50   Link #39
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki View Post
The only thing that made me go WTF? was when Quess jumped from her suit to Char's and survived. I remember Kamile opening his helm in space and Emma closing it right away, but here it was just ridiculous.
Usso did that in the buff (and I think Quess did the same in the novel). So that's not that bad.
Old 2011-07-15, 10:46   Link #40
rakusukira

just watched CCA and I gotta say it was decent. i loved the action and the non-stop "characters-dying-tomino style" .. typical of UC of course.

but what happened to my Char?! he suddenly went crazy as hell..

Amuro... you player what happened to Beltorchika huh??

if only i could KILL Hathaway with my own hands . Quess was annoying, and I could loosely compare her to Fllay Alster from Seed. Gyunei was another annoying moron.

is there a chance Nanai would appear in Unicorn's future episodes? hmmm..

it's hard to tell whether Amuro and Char really died in the end.. but realizing that Char wasn't able to get over Lalah was just so.... weird. i mean it's been 14 years man.. get over it already!
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote