AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Notices

Old 2006-01-21, 17:19   Link #1
Xebek
Crazed cyborg squirrel

KgNE Final Thoughts and Ending Interpretation

Ok, I've always thought people think of the ending to KGNE as more gloomy then it really is. ESPECIALLY if you've seen the last episode with the extra five minutes where it reads all of Haruka's book. The book is about the four ferrets, they become friends, they split apart etc. The ending of her book mentions how the one ferret who was basically her dreamed of the day the four of them could nap under their special tree together. Then it goes to a scene of Haruka standing under the main important tree in the anime. She turns around, her eyes widen and she egins to tear out of what looks like joy rather then sadness.

Now I take this as almost meaning she turns around and see's her old friends and they basically are all friends again and there is just nothing romantic between Haruka and Taka. When Haruka said goodbye to Taka and all I took that as a goodbye to basically a romantic relationship. Does anyone else feel that the ending can be interpreted this way?
Xebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-22, 08:27   Link #2
kokanaden
otaku-hikikomori

Send a message via ICQ to kokanaden Send a message via MSN to kokanaden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xebek
Ok, I've always thought people think of the ending to KGNE as more gloomy then it really is. ESPECIALLY if you've seen the last episode with the extra five minutes where it reads all of Haruka's book. The book is about the four ferrets, they become friends, they split apart etc. The ending of her book mentions how the one ferret who was basically her dreamed of the day the four of them could nap under their special tree together. Then it goes to a scene of Haruka standing under the main important tree in the anime. She turns around, her eyes widen and she egins to tear out of what looks like joy rather then sadness.

Now I take this as almost meaning she turns around and see's her old friends and they basically are all friends again and there is just nothing romantic between Haruka and Taka. When Haruka said goodbye to Taka and all I took that as a goodbye to basically a romantic relationship. Does anyone else feel that the ending can be interpreted this way?
Well, I definitely agree with you that the ending could be viewed from a less gloomy angle. However, i guess all the "gloomy" interpretations is due to the focus of Haruka's failure to get Takayuki as her partner.....

For me, it was quite a "duh" ending... after all, everyone ended up getting what they wanted; Haruka publishing the book she had always wanted to publish, and Mitsuki getting Takayuki....

I guess the main emphasis of the ending is that friendship will never die... not even due to distractions like rivalry over a common love etc.... which I definitely agree!

I love <insert name of girl with blue hair, is sporty, is about 1.78m tall, has character, has shapely legs.>*

*sounds suspiciously like Mitsuki Hayase again
kokanaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 19:39   Link #3
idofgrahf

Send a message via MSN to idofgrahf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xebek

The ending appears gloomy if you like Haruka better then Mitsuki and was rooting for Haruka, but if not, and you like Mitsuki better then the ending really isn't that bad, happy even since (in the game Taka and Mitsuki were married and have a kid), and I didn't get the feeling that these four friends hate each other. They are only in their early twenties, they have plenty of chances to make up.

Lacan/Grahf
idofgrahf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-03, 23:29   Link #4
SkyDragon
Addicted To Anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofgrahf
The ending appears gloomy if you like Haruka better then Mitsuki and was rooting for Haruka, but if not, and you like Mitsuki better then the ending really isn't that bad, happy even since (in the game Taka and Mitsuki were married and have a kid), and I didn't get the feeling that these four friends hate each other. They are only in their early twenties, they have plenty of chances to make up.
Wow! really? Are there more than one version of the game? From what I heard from other forums, the ending of the game ended with Taka and Haruka together...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/16c8fdd3.jpg

"I think Haruka and Takayuki are together and Mitsuki gives Haruka the ring."
SkyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 00:10   Link #5
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDragon
Wow! really? Are there more than one version of the game? From what I heard from other forums, the ending of the game ended with Taka and Haruka together...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/cloud_sicmor/16c8fdd3.jpg[IMG]chrome://targetalert/content/skin/new.png[/IMG]

"I think Haruka and Takayuki are together and Mitsuki gives Haruka the ring."
The dynamics of the game are somewhat 'evolving' based upon the player's decision. In the game you can easily be with Haruka as much as you can Mitsuki, and even Akane. So you can see, it's all up to the players to decide their path, and ultimately, the destiny of Takayuki.

There are, however, two versions of KimiNozo...one is the full story that you saw somewhat evolve in the TV series, and then there's the Special Fan Disc that lets you explore the "what-if" scenarios of 'what if Haruka never was in the accident'.
Old 2006-02-04, 04:59   Link #6
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry
The dynamics of the game are somewhat 'evolving' based upon the player's decision. In the game you can easily be with Haruka as much as you can Mitsuki, and even Akane. So you can see, it's all up to the players to decide their path, and ultimately, the destiny of Takayuki.

There are, however, two versions of KimiNozo...one is the full story that you saw somewhat evolve in the TV series, and then there's the Special Fan Disc that lets you explore the "what-if" scenarios of 'what if Haruka never was in the accident'.
In the fan disk, you can still easily be with Haruka as much as you can be with Mitsuki, and even Akane. In the special fan disk, you can reject Haruka when she makes love confession. It would open path for Mitsuki and Akane endings. If you accept Haruka, you have choice to save her before the car accident. Then, the story finishes in the high school year. There's no years later plot.
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 13:37   Link #7
idofgrahf

Yeah in the game you can even end up with one of the waitresses if I remmber correctly but the anime decided to use Mitsuki's path. The happiest one (though not the most realistic one) would be Taka with Haruka and eveyone remained friends and the game ended with a group picture of the four friends together.

Lacan/Grahf
Old 2006-02-04, 15:03   Link #8
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Actually, the series used a mix of Mitsuki and Haruka's True path
Old 2006-02-06, 15:53   Link #9
idofgrahf

Yeah, they got to make the anime more depressing then the game don't they? They used a mix but we all know who "won" in the end in the anime (although they did cut some stuff from mitsuki's game ending)

Lacan/Grahf
Old 2006-03-28, 14:25   Link #10
Perishthethought

Right at the Very End - Positive! *SPOILERS*

Let me just preface this by saying that I am a hopeless romantic and this series tore my heart out. Even now, a couple of days after I finished watching it, I'm still cut up about it - not so much the story itself, but the feelings and thoughts it has stirred inside myself.

Maybe it's just my romantic, idealistic, wanting everything-to-work-out at the end hopelessness, but I thought the book Haruka wrote was an attempt at reconciliation?

The whole book is a thinly veiled telling of the story we just witnessed, of course, but the ending of it, I think, is an attempt at broaching the subject of a reunion between all the friends on the hill. The book expresses a longing for all of the ferrets/the 4 friends to meet up again, after much time has passed, on the 'first day of spring'. Sounds like a set date for a rendezvous. The setting from the book is obvious enough in this respect - the hill. And we know both Takayuki and Mitsuki are aware of the book's existence - Takayuki sees it and buys it (in his final sequence) and we know Mitsuki is still with Takayuki in some capacity because she's still got his ring on. (Of course, according to the game they're married with kids and reading the book to them, but we'll forgo that for the time being).

Watch right at the very end before we get the 'white-out'. It's Haruka on the hill. She's waiting for something. Then, she turns around, somewhat suprised, from the camera approaching her from behind. Her face is one of suprise, but then recognition, and then finally a huge smile. Now, bear with me. The impression I got from this was that she had gone up to the tree, on the first day of spring, to rendezvous with her friends, whom having read the book, would know where to go and at what time.

This is what I thought, honestly. Call me hopelessly optimistic. Call me wanting to hold on to some semblence of a happy ending after all the crap that happened in this series. Hell! I want to see them all together, friends again. I can't cope with anything other than that! It would be tremendously cruel for them not to see each other again, any of them. But hey, life's like that, isn't it?
Perishthethought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 16:16   Link #11
Xebek
Crazed cyborg squirrel

I made a post that was this exact same thing called Ending Interpretation. I thought the same thing. The book is about basically the four of them and I beleive that they all stay friends at the end, even if there is no romantic relationship between Haruka and Taka they still all become friends.
Old 2006-03-28, 16:25   Link #12
neoko

Yeh, i was sorta troubled by the end too...

Although i wasn't cut, i wasn't super satisfied either. I suppose i really wanted him to get back together with Haruka.

In reality though, most people would have gone down the path of mitsuki.
neoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 16:44   Link #13
Shabazza
transcendental

I still think that Haruka is still in love with Taka. Maybe she told him "goodbye" so he could let go of her and forcing him to make finally a decision. The book she wrote would be supporting that theory as the book includes the meeting of the four and, as you said, they probably meet each other.
There is too much free space for correct interpretations but I do also think that they have a reunion. This may be happy on one side but, as I said before, I think Haruka is still loving Taka so that reunion would just open a wound in her heart. I don't think she could just finish it like that.
Thought about a dozens of theories about the ending but at last I just gave up and thought "It's an anime. Cut the crap already."
Shabazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-28, 17:12   Link #14
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I have some bullets with Mitsuki's and Takayukis name on them. Haruka is too nice, if it were me, I'd get them eventually. Or just forget they ever existed and move on.
Old 2006-03-28, 17:43   Link #15
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perishthethought
Let me just preface this by saying that I am a hopeless romantic and this series tore my heart out. Even now, a couple of days after I finished watching it, I'm still cut up about it - not so much the story itself, but the feelings and thoughts it has stirred inside myself.
Welcome to the club.

I love this series but does do a number on your insides.
Old 2006-03-28, 22:42   Link #16
Xebek
Crazed cyborg squirrel

They could still be friends knowing Haruka still loves Taka, in many animes like harem animes they have all girls firends with guy even if he picks one so why couldn't that basic facet of a relationship hold true to a more serious romance anime?
Old 2006-03-29, 02:29   Link #17
Perishthethought

Thank god, I thought I had constructed an alternate reality out my desperation for a happy ending! I'm glad others have had the same thought.

Has anyone seen Akane Maniax, by the way? That adds quite a lot to the story. It's set right after the emotional goodbye of Takayuki and just before Haruka gets out of hospital (I'm guessing, because Akane phones Takayuki about seeing Haruka again - I'm assuming because of the hospital excursion, although I could be wrong. If I am right, time progresses through the OVA and we do see Haruka at home, so I think she leaves the hospital).

I have to say I really quite enjoyed Akane Maniax. It's screwball lunacy, yes, but you have to remember that the majority of what happens is a figment of Gouda's adolescent and idealistic imagination - even his representation of himself. This is stark contrast with the utter dejection and distracted sadness of Akane. Anyway, I can write reams on Akane Maniax... I found it a fitting and comforting accompaniment to KGNE.

Anyway, back to the point. We see Haruka in Akane Maniax. She only has one 'real' scene. At home. Akane goes to get her in her room, I'm assuming to bring her downstairs for the evening meal (at her parents' request). She's alone, in her room, in the dark. She's clutching Muryama's Gift close to her chest. It's quite evident she's still cut up about/in love with Takayuki. It's also evident she hasn't done much about getting her life back on track. She's depressed (although trying not to show it, of course). This is some comfort, I think, to the viewer, because although Haruka was strong when 'giving up' Takayuki, she's still evidently upset about it and depressed enough to be clutching the one thing she can remember Takayuki by - the book he gave her. If Haruka really wanted to give up Takayuki and forget all about him, she wouldn't be clutching the book. She wouldn't want to meet up again. She wouldn't want a return to the 'good old times'.

I take the point, and indeed reinforce the point, that Haruka probably still loves Takayuki. I find this, somehow, some comfort. That one scene in Akane Maniax is a validation and consolidation of her love for him. She has obviously not forgotten him. Even though it's a while later, does it not tell you something about her that her book is a thinly veiled attempt at a reunion? Does it not tell you that, somehow, she wants to meet up with them again? For what purpose would it serve? Most would probably say that it is simply 'a friendly reunion'. A time when they could all simply be 'friends again'. Yet there was never a time when they were all 'just friends'. Haruka loved Takayuki since time immemorial (or when she first saw him, anyway). The whole time Haruka knew Takayuki was in an effort to get close to him and be with him. Meeting up again can ONLY be a bad thing for all concerned as Takayuki genuinely cannot chose between the two of them and only did so when pushed by Haruka. The scenes involving Takayuki in Akane Maniax (in his thinly veiled pseudonymous mech incarnation) reinforce this point - he can't make a decision, he really can't, because he loves them both (to illustrate the point both a Mitsuki-a-like and a Haruka-a-like are in his mech cabin with him). He says so himself.

What do you think would happen if they did meet up again? Can anyone seriously entertain the prospect of Haruka being 'over' Takayuki? I got the impression from KGNE that she only gave him up for his own good - so that he could have a nice life away from the torment of having to choose between Mitsuki and Haruka. It was the ultimate kindness, the ultimate gift - the 'gift of goodbye'. Indeed, from Akane Maniax you get the general impression that Takayuki was understandably blameless in his actions because he was just too nice and afraid of hurting anybody, or letting them get more hurt than if he stayed loving them. The scene where he babbles his excuses to Gouda in his damaged mech is brilliant at illustrating and illuminating some of Takayuki's mental anguish. We are illuminated on some of his pain at having to decide - and to me, that makes him a more sympathetic and well-rounded character, as it demonstrates there was absolutely no malice in his actions and he really wanted to make everybody happy in the end. He says so himself - 'they had done nothing wrong' - i.e. they didn't deserve to get hurt, and he couldn't see any other way of stopping that from happening without keeping up the niceities between himself and both of them (however wrong that is).

Anyway, I've said enough. Over to you!
Old 2006-03-29, 02:57   Link #18
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, it's Mitsuki's fault then, do we have an agreement?
Old 2006-03-29, 13:03   Link #19
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Haruka, while still caring for Takayuki, wasn't cluthing the book for what you thought...it's more towards the way the DVD's ending portrayed it, that she had been desiring to have her friends back together. Not that she was wanting to get back together with Takayuki. She accepted letting Takayuki go and understood that things changed and they couldn't go back to how things were.

So technically, they did meet up again, as it was insinuated at the end of the extended ending of KimiNozo
Old 2006-03-29, 13:37   Link #20
Perishthethought

Yeah, I understand that. Also, to back up your point, if you notice she has taken down all her photoes of her and Takayuki leaving only the photo of her and her 3 friends.

Still, I find it a bit hard to believe, in the context of the show, that she would just 'give him up' in such a way. I believe she was being kind, that is true. I also believe she did it for the good of Takayuki. I don't however think that this means that she does not love him anymore or is not somehow still wanting to get together, deep down.

As far as I can see it, them getting together is a recipe for disaster. For all the time Haruka was with Takayuki, she was in love with him. It was out of this overwhelming love that she gave him up so he, not her, could be happy with Mitsuki. That was the ultimate selflessness.

If anything, their time apart was what made Haruka make the decision to stop them seeing each other - that 3 years was simply too much to bear. It was also a concession that Mitsuki has spent much more time with Takayuki, overall, for them to be in much competition.

However, the point of the book was that Haruka could say goodbye to her last, persistant friend. HER book, on the other hand, wishes for those friends to meet up once again, under the same circumstances in which they first gathered together. It seems something of a contradiction on her part.

In all, I find it difficult to believe she could ever be 'just friends' with Takayuki, despite all that's happened, and despite her desire to see them all together again. Throughout the entire series, Haruka carries a torch for Takayuki. Even in light of her letting him go, I still think this more out of love for him than anything to do with her wanting to get the friends together again at some point.