AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-02, 04:58   Link #1001
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Note: Koromo's line near the end "The walls have ears" is an attempt to translate the 4 kanji character expression 階前万里, which literally means "foot of stairs, far far away" and has the interpretation "what happens in local prefectures is known to the emperor". The phrase is originally a precept designed to keep local governments uncorrupt.
Koromo is using it here essentially to say "I know." in an extremely haughty way.
Good luck translating her fondness for old idioms and whatnots.

I'll be looking forward to it.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 05:36   Link #1002
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Yeah...it seems like Koromo is fond of those old traditional Japanese/Chinese sayings. Where did she learn those from anyway?
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 07:09   Link #1003
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Cereal boxes.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 10:55   Link #1004
M.Marangio

A page with mahjong problems was added to the homepage: http://www.saki-anime.com/nanikiru/

See also this article: http://www.famitsu.com/anime/news/1224593_1558.html
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 12:53   Link #1005
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:
Note: Koromo's line near the end "The walls have ears" is an attempt to translate the 4 kanji character expression 階前万里, which literally means "foot of stairs, far far away" and has the interpretation "what happens in local prefectures is known to the emperor". The phrase is originally a precept designed to keep local governments uncorrupt.
Koromo is using it here essentially to say "I know." in an extremely haughty way.
now it all makes sense, thanks :P

loved ep 9 lots of action, just live everyone else i'm waiting for the saki VS koromo final XD

btw i just want to make sure, everyone here are saying this is a two cour show(24 eps) but on every site i checked it says this is a 13 episodes series(ANN and wikipedia) so whats the basis for the assumption this is gonna be 24 episodes?

Last edited by Jiyuu; 2009-06-02 at 13:06.
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 12:55   Link #1006
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
You mustn't have watched Akagi then.
Akagi bored me. OK, he's risking his life. But who cares if he dies? He's not moe.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 12:55   Link #1007
Midonin
Last Engage

My reasoning is that a single for a new ED appeared, and that usually means a new cour for it to play in.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 14:17   Link #1008
Avisch
Reality Blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Yeah...it seems like Koromo is fond of those old traditional Japanese/Chinese sayings. Where did she learn those from anyway?
Genius girl with enough carefree nature to sleep for a entire day. Im sure she found time.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 18:15   Link #1009
onemadcow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
btw i just want to make sure, everyone here are saying this is a two cour show(24 eps) but on every site i checked it says this is a 13 episodes series(ANN and wikipedia) so whats the basis for the assumption this is gonna be 24 episodes?
I think the 13 ep. listing is sort of a generic response from them when it is not clear from any source (network, publisher, moonphase, etc.) how many episodes are planned.

Most people are assuming that this will be a 24~26 ep. series because there's no real graceful way to wrap the story up in the time left. It might be possible to wrap the tournament in 4 episodes, but there would have to be a second season at some point because the end of the tourney is NOT the end of the story. Saki is aiming for the nationals to resolve family issues, and Nodoka has reasons she hasn't fully explained yet.

It is interesting to note that the manga-ka took 2 issues (a whole month!) off from the story. Could it be to flesh out the rest of the storyline with the anime staff? Curious indeed ...
onemadcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 18:32   Link #1010
4Tran

It's back to the Mahjong action, and Saki is instantly improved by it. I thought that the game-playing itself was quite interesting especially since this was mostly about the flow of the game, and a lot less about Yuuki just getting lucky draws off. Moreover, both Jun and Mihoko's "powers" seem to be just highly refined instincts rather than some sort of supernatural ability.

As for the comparison with Akagi; well, they're both Mahjong anime, and that's about where the resemblence ends. Saki is a sports anime at its heart, where the love of the game binds people together, and sportsmanship and earnestness are major themes. On the other hand, Akagi is more akin to gamesmanship/psychology shows like Spiral or Death Note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
You definitely don't need to understand anything about Mahjong to enjoy this anime. In fact, as with most "sports-style" anime, it's probably better for us who don't know anything about Mahjong, since we can't realize just how crazy/silly/unrealistic it is (although I can certainly guess). This anime can be taken as a sort of comfort food because it plays all the clichés so blatantly, but that's also its charm. It doesn't take itself too overly seriously, even in its "serious moments". I would say that it's a fanservice anime that uses Mahjong as its motif, and I don't mean that at all in a derogative way even though I could see how some might see it that way.
I'm not exactly the most experienced of Mahjong players, but most of the action on-screen has been relatively plausible so far. About the only thing that stretches credibility is Saki's signature move of pulling the winning tile from the bonus draw after declaring a kong. Heck, we've only seen one yakuman in the entire anime so far, and they're not exactly unheard of. At it's core, Saki is very much a sports anime - even if you strip away all of the fanservice and the fetish elements, there'd still be a rather decent show left. It'd just end up even more like Hikaru no Go than it already is .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I wish there is a saki game where the you can use the respective characters special powers.
There are a lot of Mahjong games out there, and they usually feature the player going up against the characters instead. It makes a lot of sense since it'd be really hard (and more than a bit game-breaking) to do it the other way.

Quote:
My money's on fortune cookies .

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Marangio View Post
A page with mahjong problems was added to the homepage: http://www.saki-anime.com/nanikiru/
Very cool stuff. You can even check out what other people thought was the ideal solution and their reasons why on that page.
Old 2009-06-02, 20:06   Link #1011
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Marangio View Post
Now if I only could understand japanese Then again my skill level would be way to low to solve anyone of those problems :\

Last edited by Eisdrache; 2009-06-03 at 08:33.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 21:39   Link #1012
scr
my sides are in orbit

Quote:
hmm, i think i got it now. She's some sort of rabbit sage that manipulates luck. No wonder she knows them, she's really 700 years old.

My Rp. 240,-

Spoiler for eh,:
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 22:04   Link #1013
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
hmm, i think i got it now. She's some sort of rabbit sage that manipulates luck. No wonder she knows them, she's really 700 years old.

My Rp. 240,-

Spoiler for eh,:
Silly earth rabbit yokai, mahjong is for kids!
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 05:07   Link #1014
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
now it all makes sense, thanks :P

- Tournament part in manga is too long for 13 ep

Spoiler for How long of each Kiyosumi's player match (no detail spoiler):

and even if they are planning on making second season, what the point of Koromo's foreshadowing until now...

- If you look at the ep.13 title in Saki ep. list of ANN, it doesn't sound like final ep. at all....

- Also, if they are going to make new ending, Making new and original mahjong game is different from making new random action scene like in Rosario Vampire, I don't think Gonzo have enough effort for this... so, It will be better to stick with original plot in Manga.

.................................................. ..........

This just my idea, may be it's really 13 ep....

So, Quarkboy (you are Crunchyroll's translator right?) , can you confirm about total ep. ?

EDIT : Ahh..., that's ok
V
V

Last edited by Marina2; 2009-06-03 at 05:22.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 05:13   Link #1015
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Does this seem like a confirmation to you?
Old 2009-06-03, 05:47   Link #1016
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Does this seem like a confirmation to you?
It will be 24 episodes. Gonzo's stated that themselves and it's true.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-06-03, 11:53   Link #1017
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
It will be 24 episodes. Gonzo's stated that themselves and it's true.
Hmm... it looks like the DVD solicitations are setup for 25 episodes, but at the same time this does seem like a series ripe for a DVD bonus episode on the last disc. We'll see!
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 14:54   Link #1018
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Hmm... it looks like the DVD solicitations are setup for 25 episodes, but at the same time this does seem like a series ripe for a DVD bonus episode on the last disc. We'll see!
Well, they specifically called it "2-cour". Whether or not there'd be an extra episode for DVD I don't think has been decided on yet, but it sounds like standard M.O. for a show like this lately.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-06-03, 18:52   Link #1019
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

on a totally random note...

seiyuu jokes

Spoiler:

Last edited by Proto; 2009-06-03 at 19:27.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 12:55   Link #1020
Midonin
Last Engage

Looks like the ED's not the only thing getting replaced. A new OP (still unnamed) by Little Non recently appeared in the listings. As did a Vocal Album (character songs, most likely) for the series.

Wonder what episode the new OP and ED will appear in.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen