AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 26 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 44.23%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 19.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 7.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-21, 06:02   Link #101
phantom_ryder

[QUOTE=Deathkillz;998343]ooooh...big forehead :3 i bet kona has something to say about that
QUOTE]

That forehead may just be able to rival Shion-sama's from SP
Old 2007-06-21, 06:03   Link #102
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Didn't think much of this episode. Other than the static electricity jokes, which made me seriously lol, the rest of the episode was rather bland, and reminiscent of the earlier eps in this series that I just simply didn't get most of the time. A bit disappointing, since after consecutive good episodes in the last fortnight (definition of good = made me laugh), I started thinking this show was on a turnaround, but I guess not... well, not at this stage anyway.

Being self-centric for a second, I really think there are times where this show just isn't accessible to, well, me. It bewilders me slightly that Hayate no Gotoku can fill an entire episode with references, and I can get the majority of them, yet come to this show and have the four or five references they make completely go over my head. I mean, is "obscure" a fair criticism for what is an otaku anime anyway? I guess it is from my point of view, since the reference-driven humour is lost on me most of the time. Same with the distinctly Japanese culture humour. It's not too different from Azumanga, but Azumanga somehow presented such jokes in a way that made them accessible enough, that one could understand the issue, even if one didn't know exactly what they were talking about. Lucky Star doesn't seem to be able to do this... but Lucky Star isn't exactly aimed at Westerners anyway.

I guess my problem with this show lies in the fact that I don't fall within its target audience, which people would probably argue isn't a problem with the show at all. I'm still not sure what I think of this show overall, since some episodes can have me laughing for the entire episode, and others, like this one, can have only one worthwhile gag. I do know that there are other better comedies in my books. This isn't bad, but I don't think it's great either, if only because the jokes aren't aimed at me and, more often than not, go over my head.
Old 2007-06-21, 08:41   Link #103
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Wow, is that the first time I've seen girls in anime actually wear coats during the winter season?

And this ep actually answers my question as to why Miyuki doesn't seem to hang around the gang after school... it seems she lives in the opposite direction than the gang lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I seem to be stuck in a lousy part of the torrent cloud today.... most of the peers who connect just sit there not exchanging packets.....
And that's the reason why I use IRC (thank you Dovac!). There's just some shows I just can't get fast enough.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-06-21, 10:00   Link #104
FlashCE

Wow I especially loved the Doraemon theme.
Old 2007-06-21, 10:30   Link #105
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilinar View Post
Heh Konata's dad is becoming more funny. And until this episode I didn't noticed his glare in the opening. In turn, other side characters don't shine with humour. Yui is boring and sensei's motive seems like some filler.

I've heard about high sincretism in Japan, but shinto girls worshipping monotheistic god freaked me out. There is number of assumptions that do not allow such combination without shallowing one religion (i.e. envy god concept).
That's why I always laugh when I hear some evangelist talking about the "progress they've made" in 'de-heathenizing' the Japanese. Shinto glorps Christianity the same way they glorp Buddhism --- its just another part of the Shinto pantheism. The "exclusivity" issue that jealous sky-gods have leave them a bit baffled so they just ignore that part.
Old 2007-06-21, 10:47   Link #106
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Such is the allure of shows like Lucky Star, that I actually saw the ep last night some time at 3am, rated it a 9 but was too tired to write anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
The following is based on [a.f.k.]'s fansub.

Random Thoughts On Ep11:
[*]Interesting. Kagami's own classmates still address her by her family name (formal), while the people in Konata's class address her by her given name (casual). I wonder how many people picked up on this?
Hey, thanks for pointing that out. I never noticed that even after Kagami made her statement about her spending more time in Kona-chan's class.

Kagami-sama in miko costume is moe.

Quote:
[*]Konata destroys her father with filial piety.
You must have been reading all those Confucius-related articles on wikipedia. "Filial piety", lol. That sounds just too academically "cheesy". I wonder if there's a more suitable single word for that in English.

Poor Nanako-sensei. You're not alone! If you're feeling desperate, then MARRY ME! Nah, just kidding. But still, 27 isn't too old for a single hot lady like you. To hell with those flawed social perceptions that you're a loser if you're still single at 30.

I find how the Hiiragi sisters manage to give each other a static shock hilarious, but I lol'ed even more at Kona-chan's dad at trying to get himself thrilled through multiple shocks. This dad's crazy.

And the sisters singing the Doraemon theme sends me into another nostalgia since Kagami-sama sang Cha-la, Head Cha-la.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2007-06-22 at 08:39.
Old 2007-06-21, 10:52   Link #107
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
That's why I always laugh when I hear some evangelist talking about the "progress they've made" in 'de-heathenizing' the Japanese. Shinto glorps Christianity the same way they glorp Buddhism --- its just another part of the Shinto pantheism. The "exclusivity" issue that jealous sky-gods have leave them a bit baffled so they just ignore that part.
Ah...so the Christian god is just "another one" for them, except they have to worship Him in a huge stone shrine plus organ.
Old 2007-06-21, 11:16   Link #108
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, there's some novelty aspect (like the Western wedding dress motif) and the usual fascination with "things Western".

I'm not saying there aren't some truly converted believers, but studies and polls indicate that the rare japanese "believer" (<3% of the total population) will nonetheless check off Shinto and Buddhism in addition to Christianity when asked what holidays and rituals are practiced.

There's been nothing explicit but I also wonder if Kagami & Tsukasa were engaged in some inter-faith activities between the local church and the shrine her father maintains ... or if they were simply curious enough to participate since the Christmas Concert event is just part of the seasonal hoopla.
Old 2007-06-21, 11:21   Link #109
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Aye, there's some novelty aspect (like the Western wedding dress motif) and the usual fascination with "things Western".

I'm not saying there aren't some truly converted believers, but studies and polls indicate that the rare japanese "believer" (<3% of the total population) will nonetheless check off Shinto and Buddhism in addition to Christianity when asked what holidays and rituals are practiced.

There's been nothing explicit but I also wonder if Kagami & Tsukasa were engaged in some inter-faith activities between the local church and the shrine her father maintains ... or if they were simply curious enough to participate since the Christmas Concert event is just part of the seasonal hoopla.
That pretty much applies to most East Asians (Koreans and Chinese). We can be pretty flexible when it comes to worshiping all things supernatural, of course there are always some extremists that try to enforce their jealous Abrahamic sky-God's will on other oriental religions' "peaceful competition for souls".
Old 2007-06-21, 11:21   Link #110
Mr JeburtO

the part where the door is shocking them is halarious
Old 2007-06-21, 11:26   Link #111
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Gave it a 10 for the Static shock...NO!! YES... LOL <<< Seems this is the most favorite scene LOL again also Konata's dad, fathers are always funny ni the anime

Another scene is with Kagami...

Hiiragi, Hiiragi-san, Hiiragi-chan, Oi Kagami and so on...I dunno just found it funny.

Nanako...Loney hearts club this xmas I think over hearing the girls talk kinda hurt her inside and made her think. Hey Konata's Dad is available!!! :P

Iam now hopping to see maybe on ep18 or 15 Yutaka and Minami since she appeared also but in a shadow form running.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-21, 11:49   Link #112
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]

I was wondering if anyone is going to update the reference list topic for this episode... Need to check if I overlooked something... So far, not so sure, but I heard that there was a different name on Kagami Hiiragi's test... Could someone clarify...
Old 2007-06-21, 12:24   Link #113
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
And the sisters singing the Doraemon theme sends me into another nostalgia since Kagami-sama sang Cha-la, Head Cha-la.
That was Konata that attempted Chala-Head-Chala, and the singing of that versus Doraemon was an entirely different thing altogether.
Old 2007-06-21, 13:25   Link #114
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tsukuyomi View Post
I was wondering if anyone is going to update the reference list topic for this episode... Need to check if I overlooked something... So far, not so sure, but I heard that there was a different name on Kagami Hiiragi's test... Could someone clarify...
It is indeed "Hiiragi Kagami".

The funny part would be that almost every answer is Imoko Ono.
Old 2007-06-21, 13:27   Link #115
Suzumiya Haruhi
Destroying the balance

Konata's dad has algolagnia.

The Otaku Spot - My anime & manga reviews, musings, and pointless rants...
Old 2007-06-21, 13:30   Link #116
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
It is indeed "Hiiragi Kagami".

The funny part would be that almost every answer is Imoko Ono.
Even funnier is that Konata managed to blow the test apparently. Note that Daisuke Ono was the wrong answer too, meaning probably every answer was the same.
Old 2007-06-21, 14:39   Link #117
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
And that's the reason why I use IRC (thank you Dovac!). There's just some shows I just can't get fast enough.
The reason why I don't use IRC... You're either "in" and know how to use it, or "out" and you make lots of mistakes trying to learn to use it. In big chans, if you make a mistake, *everyone* can see that you typed in a wrong command, and then people laugh. And I run away, completely embarrassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Poor Nanako-sensei. You're not alone! If you're feeling desperate, then MARRY ME! Nah, just kidding. But still, 27 isn't too old for a single hot lady like you. To hell with those flawed social perceptions that you're a lose if you're still single at 30.
You saying that actually does make me feel a little better about the Nanako being an old cake thing. XD I'm bitter about it, but I'll wait to comment until I've actually seen it. With subs.
Old 2007-06-21, 14:47   Link #118
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@Risaa: a very good Chinese friend of mine, she went through these stages from her grandma:
late teens: college is okay but marry a good China-born Chinese
early twenties: engineering is good degree, catch good Chinese man with that.
mid-twenties: get married soon, American-born Chinese okay, just marry!
late-twenties: marry somebody, anybody, don't care what color!!!

She married the guy she'd been dating since college. Heh....

One of wife's friends was Vietnamese and getting her pharmacy degree. She'd have to spend many nights locked in her room upstairs while her very traditional parents kept arranging courting-dates with Viet guys for her because she was nearing 20 and they were freaking out that she'd be too old to marry. She just kept yelling down that she was trying to study and stop making these appointments without asking her. My wife told her parents out of the starting gate that "like hell I'm going to marry anyone you bring home and I'll get married when I want to, dammit" (that would be the 'tsun' part of her)

O the tragic hilarity of it all....

Of course, it isn't totally confined to asian family culture ... I've lost count of the 'late 20-something' women that start panicking because they're not married or don't have a steady guy. But in their case, it isn't tradition so much as that biological clock starting to tick very loudly.

Nanako needs to just take the step of using those matching services they have there: they apparently work rather well.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-06-21 at 15:23.
Old 2007-06-21, 14:57   Link #119
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
The idea drives me nuts! I'm glad Rinko-san (Japanese born in Japan, looks no older than 16) waited until her early thirties to marry... and even more glad that her parents were very reluctant to let her go. They didn't care if she married - they were terrified that she'd leave their home (which she did, of course ). Ah, my friendship with her is doomed, though; she had a baby and won't let it leave her sight.

My aunt (Korean, born in Korea, lives in Korea) felt incredibly pressured to marry ASAP once she hit 30. She ended up marrying a guy she doesn't really care for (much less actually love) just to get married and start a family.

Agh!
Old 2007-06-21, 15:00   Link #120
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
The idea drives me nuts! I'm glad Rinko-san (Japanese born in Japan, looks no older than 16) waited until her early thirties to marry... and even more glad that her parents were very reluctant to let her go. They didn't care if she married - they were terrified that she'd leave their home (which she did, of course ). Ah, my friendship with her is doomed, though; she had a baby and won't let it leave her sight.

My aunt (Korean, born in Korea, lives in Korea) felt incredibly pressured to marry ASAP once she hit 30. She ended up marrying a guy she doesn't really care for (much less actually love) just to get married and start a family.

Agh!
So much for all those romantic stories people love so dearly.
Closed Thread