AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-14, 02:07   Link #241
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Bolded and italicized for extra emphasis.
I mean even in some level. She seens to be totally oblivious to me.
Old 2009-10-14, 02:10   Link #242
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
WARNING! BS theory!

I like to think that she's fully aware of everything, and that either the other three are aware of the fact and making Kyon's life miserable for the hell of it or she's keeping it from everyone because she knows they're keeping things from her.

As for why she wouldn't tell Kyon, who has been honest with her, well... how would you feel if someone you've been close with told you she could alter reality on a whim? I mean, wouldn't you feel just a little afraid that said person might have altered your memories or personality in some way?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-10-14, 02:20   Link #243
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

When in Closed Space, Haruhi seems to know what will happen and what is going on near the end when Kyon wants to go back. That is about the only hint we have that Haruhi might know what she is, or at least what she can do. However she wrote it off as a dream...save for the ponytail, which has come back in Sigh...meaning there is something to her experiance in Closed Space...with Kyon.
Old 2009-10-14, 02:41   Link #244
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
When in Closed Space, Haruhi seems to know what will happen and what is going on near the end when Kyon wants to go back. That is about the only hint we have that Haruhi might know what she is, or at least what she can do. However she wrote it off as a dream...save for the ponytail, which has come back in Sigh...meaning there is something to her experiance in Closed Space...with Kyon.
Haruhi cleary remember the "dream". However, what she said there is not a real proof. As far I remember, the only sigh of knowlegement is she knew the Shinjin are not dangerous and that the "world would bright again" (or something). While this is suspicious (I can give that), is not a real confirmation. She could know that unconciously, is her unconcious that is doing it, after all.
Old 2009-10-14, 03:01   Link #245
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
She could know that unconciously, is her unconcious that is doing it, after all.
Hence the "on some level".
Old 2009-10-14, 03:06   Link #246
Heatth

Ah, thanks. I tought you were saying consiously.
Old 2009-10-14, 03:46   Link #247
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Haruhi's common sense comes out at the most inconvienient times.

In all seriousness, I personally hope she never finds out. I'm of the opinion that such a discovery might ruin part of what makes the story so entertaining. I'd like Haruhi to be blissfully unaware of her powers for the rest of her life.
Old 2009-10-14, 03:47   Link #248
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Kyon and the SOS-dan wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 2009-10-14, 03:52   Link #249
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
In all seriousness, I personally hope she never finds out. I'm of the opinion that such a discovery might ruin part of what makes the story so entertaining. I'd like Haruhi to be blissfully unaware of her powers for the rest of her life.
I think she might found out in the Grand Finale. I agree that the storys might don't work after that, but the series need a end. It would be sad if Haruhi never discover.
Old 2009-10-14, 18:53   Link #250
Tabasco

True, it wouldn't make for much of an ending if the status quo continued on forever, as fun as it is right now.

Its been said any number of times before, but the logic of the story demands that she either gains conscious awareness of her powers, or loses them. Or both.

I honestly can't see any other way to bring the series to a close that doesn't amount to 'and they all lived happily ever after.'
Old 2009-10-14, 18:59   Link #251
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
True, it wouldn't make for much of an ending if the status quo continued on forever, as fun as it is right now.

Its been said any number of times before, but the logic of the story demands that she either gains conscious awareness of her powers, or loses them. Or both.

I honestly can't see any other way to bring the series to a close that doesn't amount to 'and they all lived happily ever after.'
I'd be fine with an "and they all lived happily ever after" ending where Haruhi continues on with out knowledge of her powers.

I could see many different ways to do good, or at least decent, endings for this novel/anime franchise.

It's funny... as much as I like epic endings, I honestly don't think that this anime needs one. Or well, it doesn't need one that's actually epic. Part of the charm of Haruhi is turning that which is fairly mundane (like, getting the gang all together to play video games and do homework for the last day of Summer vacation ) into something of monumental importance presented in a ham-handed way.
Old 2009-10-14, 19:07   Link #252
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Well... there's always this possibility for an ending...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-10-14, 19:16   Link #253
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Well... there's always this possibility for an ending...
... That's actually one of the few possible endings that I would truly hate.

Well, unless they were to make it a bit like this early-to-mid 90s Canadian TV show called The Odyssey, and have it so the real Kyon's been in a coma for a very long time, and everybody in his dream have real-life counterparts... and perhaps Haruhi was actually this girl at school that he had a massive crush on, and hence he had a big dream about her while in a coma brought on by a severe sports accident. The final episode could end with Kyon asking the real Haruhi out on a date, and the two hitting it off.

That could be sweet, and funny.

...Maybe.
Old 2009-10-14, 19:19   Link #254
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Of course, as the poster says, someone absolutely must take that pose while saying that line.
Old 2009-10-14, 19:21   Link #255
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Of course, as the poster says, someone absolutely must take that pose while saying that line.
Good point. So... if they went with my idea here... real Itsuki is actually Kyon's best friend at school, and real Itsuki talks about Kyon's coma dream with him after Kyon wakes up, and says to Kyon (with exactly that pose)... "You need to get over it, Kyon. It was all just a dream."
Old 2009-10-14, 19:23   Link #256
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I still like the version where she loses her powers (maybe), Kyon and Haruhi marry, and Kyon has to write how they got together for a college class or something, which results in a light novel series...and an anime...and the whole cycle repeats...with Yuki doing the final facepalm.
Old 2009-10-14, 19:27   Link #257
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I'd like to think that at the end (cuz I think he's telling a story to someone) he'd be all "AND THAT'S HOW I MET YOUR MOMMY. NOW GO TO BED BITCH(Yuki Nagato Abridged style;p)"
Old 2009-10-14, 21:02   Link #258
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

I think it's a given that in any ending, Haruhi will achieve what she truly wishes to achieve, so I think a good ending really hinges on where she lands on the whole "supernatural life vs. normal life" debate that is the subtext of her personal growth. I for one hope she settles on something like "Rather than seeking outside forces to make my life amazing, I'll do that with my own hands." I just can't see Haruhi ever being completely content with a run-of-the-mill adult life, but conversely if she really decides the only experiences of value are paranormal, then her entire character arc would have been a waste.
Old 2009-10-14, 21:16   Link #259
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
I think it's a given that in any ending, Haruhi will achieve what she truly wishes to achieve, so I think a good ending really hinges on where she lands on the whole "supernatural life vs. normal life" debate that is the subtext of her personal growth. I for one hope she settles on something like "Rather than seeking outside forces to make my life amazing, I'll do that with my own hands." I just can't see Haruhi ever being completely content with a run-of-the-mill adult life, but conversely if she really decides the only experiences of value are paranormal, then her entire character arc would have been a waste.
I personally hate the idea of Haruhi sacrificing her powers, or losing them permanently in some fashion. I've simply seen too many anime endings, Star Trek episodes, and even western comic book stories, that are similar to that; it's a bit of a cliche, really (this is especially true if Haruhi makes the sacrifice for romantic reasons; i.e. to appeal more to Kyon).

It would be a much bolder and more unique ending, in my mind, if Haruhi gets to keep her powers. The boldest possible ending, imo, would be to have Haruhi keep her powers, and learn of them, and us the viewer get to see how she copes with them on more than a very short-term basis, all the while maintaining relationships with her friends.

They say that absolute power corrupts absolutely. It might be nice to see an ending that tries to offer an antithesis to that for a change.

Mind you, while I hope for this ending, I doubt we will get it.
Old 2009-10-14, 21:23   Link #260
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I personally hate the idea of Haruhi sacrificing her powers, or losing them permanently in some fashion. I've simply seen too many anime endings, Star Trek episodes, and even western comic book stories, that are similar to that; it's a bit of a cliche, really (this is especially true if Haruhi makes the sacrifice for romantic reasons; i.e. to appeal more to Kyon).

It would be a much bolder and more unique ending, in my mind, if Haruhi gets to keep her powers. The boldest possible ending, imo, would be to have Haruhi keep her powers, and learn of them, and us the viewer get to see how she copes with them on more than a very short-term basis, all the while maintaining relationships with her friends.

They say that absolute power corrupts absolutely. It might be nice to see an ending that tries to offer an antithesis to that for a change.

Mind you, while I hope for this ending, I doubt we will get it.
I'd agree as far as the actual powers are concerned: I'd want her to keep them. However, I also don't want her to end up still pinning her life's hopes on encountering strange outside forces. Especially if she retains her powers and learns of them, I'd hope she'd become a much more active agent in making the world extraordinary.

Also, with regards to what you said about her relinquishing her powers for Kyon being unsatisfactory, that would in turn rob Kyon of a major opportunity for his own growth, which would be to suck it up and say "I know a girl who is effectively a god, has caused me no end to trouble and is the last sort of person I'd wanted to admit existed...and I love her/care about her/whatever anyway."

So yeah. We're agreed on that.

Tags
characters