AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Old 2012-11-21, 19:27   Link #281
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I'm pretty sure the tons of sci-fi series out there didn't use techno either

Macross for example.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 20:04   Link #282
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
How will a non-techno soundtrack be able to illustrate Academy City, though?
Through synesthesia, modern-looking buildings require a futuristic sound.
Like Chaos said, there are other ways for futuristic soundtracks. Also, the toaru verse is not that futuristic, it's more like a near future/alternative present. And adding the plenty of magic makes it very fantastic.

Anyway, you can use metals, hip hop, jazz or fusions for urban settings, among other styles, and they work fine.
Quote:
If she becomes the go-to person when it comes to fantasy soundtracks, then she is already overrated in my opinion. If a person had watched a lot of anime, I'm sure that he/she knows a lot more fantasy-style soundtrack composers than just Yuki Kajiura.
You're denying your argument yourself. As you said, there are a lot of "fantasy-style" soundtrack composers, ergo she's not the go-to person for that.
leukrota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 20:35   Link #283
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Yes, I don't think that Yuki Kajiura the best composer ever, but that's not what other people think, though. Some people would probably even like Yuki Kajiura to make soundtracks on all fantasy-related things they like though. (The same probably happens to Narutards as well.)
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 20:58   Link #284
leukrota

Well, I don't think she's the best composer ever either. I still think she could do a great job for this series. Better than the current one at any rate, IMO.

And I wouldn't want to hear any composer everywhere, that would be dull even if said composer was a modern Mozart.
Old 2012-11-21, 21:04   Link #285
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Personally, I quite like the current composer, and I think her techno style (whether you like it or not) has become a big part of the character of the anime franchise. I think it would be a bit jarring to change the composer now; I think I'd rather she keeps on keeping on. I've always felt that most of the tracks were put to good use in the show (while some work better for standalone listening than others, but that's usually how it is). If by some chance they did have to change composers for the new season for whatever reason, I expect the new composer's style to blend in with the existing repertoire, because they'll certainly re-use certain signature tracks in the new season (to help bridge the gap for viewers).

So basically, I think the overall musical style for the franchise is set, and is unlikely to change at this point no matter what. Given that's the case, I think they'd try to keep the same composer unless they were forced to change.
Old 2012-11-21, 21:33   Link #286
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^
Pretty much- I'm not a fan of techno, I've tried really hard to get into the OSTs for Raildex but it just doesn't click for me. That said I can't deny that it's an important element for the series' signature and any changes now would be risky.
Old 2012-11-22, 15:49   Link #287
DorkingtonPugsly

I sometimes imagine guys like Autechre or even Squarepusher doing an OST for a scifi anime. I'd listent to an Autechre track and think hmm this would sound cool in a night time academy city setting. I just think if they did one it'd turn out really interesting and quite a soundtrack. It's like my farfetched dream, that'll never come true because they don't do anime ost and they're UK acts, but I can always fantasize about.

As for Iuchi Maiko's soundtracks (for the toaru series), I'm kind of neutral on it. I've never though of them as bad or out of place, but I've never really thought of them as outstanding and perfect either. There are many tracks I like and felt were used well in the shows, so as long as she does some interesting tracks that properly reflect the content being animated then I'm alright.

And it's true that a soundtrack doesn't need to be 100% techno or electronic music to fit a futuristic/modern urban environment. The most recent example I can think of is K's ost which I though did a very good job of capturing the city feel.
Old 2012-11-23, 07:41   Link #288
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

Gensou Koroshi and Aratanaru Tatakai are reason enough for me to love Iuchi Maiko's work.
PositronCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-23, 07:50   Link #289
judasmartel
*Author

Ditto Saikyou no Nanori.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-23, 21:48   Link #290
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
IMO, the series shouldn't have had a techno soundtrack to begin with. Of course, changing that now is indeed a definite no. Kaijura can do electronic/techno too though, here's a sample:
Spoiler:

Anyway, what's with the "overrated" thing? I've never seen her rated anywhere.
What's wrong with techno?
Old 2012-11-24, 00:38   Link #291
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Well, for the most part, Index's OST has better going with me than Railgun's. Probably because there are a lot of tracks in the Railgun series geared towards the SoL scenes. Index's have a very little ratio of SoL-geared tracks compared to the ones made for serious scenes, numbering about 1 track to 5 in the first OST.

There are a few interesting ones in Railgun's as per my evaluation, to list some: searcher, high speed. I do agree some tracks just don't do justice to the series, like Skill Out. Knowing the Skill Outs we have seen in the Railgun anime, yeah they make Hamazura and Komaba look like scholars... but if it's about Skill Out as a whole when talking about the entire series, said track just doesn't do them justice.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 01:08   Link #292
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
What's wrong with techno?
It's mostly a personal preference... it makes me think more about cyberpunk or something equally psychedelic rather than the toaru setting...

Maybe if it was for the anime version of a Philip K. Dick book...

Last edited by leukrota; 2012-11-24 at 04:30. Reason: - psychedelic... psychodelic sounds like a bad trip
Old 2012-11-24, 01:25   Link #293
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Hans Zimmer to do all the Science side BGM, and Jeremy Soule to do all the Magic side BGM.

(Dengeki and JC Staff's budget is blown for the next two years)
Old 2012-11-24, 02:29   Link #294
leukrota

LOL, that would be awesome... but there would not be enough money for the animation per se
Old 2012-11-24, 03:19   Link #295
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Hans Zimmer to do all the Science side BGM, and Jeremy Soule to do all the Magic side BGM.

(Dengeki and JC Staff's budget is blown for the next two years)
Two? You sure it's not going to be a dozen years or so?

Old 2012-11-24, 03:21   Link #296
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Four years max- Including whatever PSP/Vita games they want to push out
Old 2012-11-24, 04:13   Link #297
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I dunno who those two are.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 04:46   Link #298
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I dunno who those two are.
Hans Zimmer:

Pirates of the Caribbean (all of them)
Transformers
The Rock
The Dark Knight (all of them)
Inception
Black Hawk Down
Tears of the Sun
The Da Vinci Code (both of them)
Sherlock Holmes (both of them)
Call of Duty Modern Warfare (all of them)

Jeremy Soule:

The Elder Scrolls (all of them)
Old 2012-11-24, 06:04   Link #299
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Call of Duty Modern Warfare (all of them)
Except the first MW. That's by Harry Gregson Williams.

Well, Marcus, I hope that rectifies it, I am kinda puzzled you didn't (in a comedic way)

Old 2012-11-24, 07:01   Link #300
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Personally I'm an old school rock person so I would rather every time Kamijou or Accelerator does or says something cool, the background goes- "CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON~~!!".... But that's just me.

Oh, and the only reason I said Jeremy Soule is because of the Dragonborn theme

Tags
action, comedy, despair, drama, school life, sci-fi, sequel