AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-09-01, 14:23   Link #41
Kankel
Akuma HighClass Commander

The Sky Crawlers (Sukai Kurora) (Sep 2008)

Here is the trailer for this new anime movie set to be displayed in theaters this september.I just love it when they bring an anime movie to theaters This one looks very good and will be looking forward to see it myself.

Synopsis: Dwelling in a pneumatic void of memories live the Kildren, teenagers destined never to grow up. Unless they are killed in action, they persist forever in a dull adolescence. The Kildren are a human breed of fighter pilots; created to play the much-needed game of war in a world that keeps real conflicts at bay, they are hired to entertain the citizens of Europe with their celestial battles. Top-notch Japanese fighter pilot Yuichi Kannami has just been assigned to a new air base. He has only vague memories of his past, and knows only how to fly and fight. However, when he meets Suito Kusanagi, the beautiful girl in command at the base, a disturbing new awareness of the meaninglessness of his life starts creeping into his timeless soul

http://videos.movie-list.com/view_vi...337251c22b7ea5

http://sky.crawlers.jp/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1056437/

Old 2008-09-01, 14:27   Link #42
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

This belongs to Unaired.
Movie or otherwise, it's still anime.
Old 2008-09-01, 14:31   Link #43
james0246

Whoops, this thread has already been made (The Sky Crawlers, new project with Tetsuya Nishio's animation direction and designs) in the Unaired section. Thanks for the new trailer, though.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-01, 14:33   Link #44
Kankel
Akuma HighClass Commander

Well it's really hard to say where exactly does it belong, since it's an anime movie but it has been licensed by Warner Bros. and will be released in theaters this month.
Old 2008-09-14, 18:27   Link #45
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
the full OST is amazing
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 07:22   Link #46
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
I listened to it without paying much attention, but it left me disappointed.
It was kind of similar to Seirei no Moribito's, with the exception that this one is much much better.

Kawai can do better than this.
Old 2008-09-17, 11:50   Link #47
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I find Production I.G's character/mecha designs to be very bland with a runny look to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
The impression I get is that Production I.G. tends to lean towards projects that get presented in a way such that... that the animation is trying to emulate live-action stuff. Possibly because that seems to automatically make their works look more refined and "mature" and "well-done" on first glance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
People who say his action scene animation is rubbish and gonzo-like... I don't really know what to say... we must have been watching completely different clips.

PS: Kawai's style is very obvious. He seems to be in the habit of repeating himself in movies like this, a trait shared by Kanno (for which I am beginning to be annoyed with both of them). But it's bunch of nice tunes, so let's just leave it at that.
Well, they do say: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

I first noticed The Sky Crawlers when the artbooks appeared in my local Kinokuniya about a month ago. They immediately caught my attention, because of the trademark I.G aesthetic that emphasises the characters' eyes, particularly their pupils. This has always been a feature of I.G movies that fascinates me. The eyes are the windows to an individual's soul, and in I.G's case, they are usually hint at the emptiness roaring within the story's characters. Other than that, I know hardly anything about this movie. I found out more about it only today, and I can already tell that this is something I'd probably like.

More importantly, this is perhaps only the second anime that I enjoy listening to before I've even seen it (the other being Haibane Renmei). Yes, it's true that Kawai has been lazy — he basically rehashed the same vibe he used in Seirei no Moribito. But when the result sounds like this, I can hardly complain. It successfully evokes the wide-open spaces seen in the trailer's dogfight scenes, while echoing the lonely premonition of impending demise that the Kildren pilots probably feel.

And the theme song by ayaka, Konya mo Hoshi ni Dakarete, is quite lovely too.

In short, I'm looking forward to this film.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-23, 01:24   Link #48
Ottocycle

As announced at AFA'08, this show will be coming to Singapore shores on the 27th of November. The official cinema operator's Golden Village this time, though I wouldn't be surprised in Cathay brought this over as well.

GV must've taken note of the week's worth of packed theatres that Eva 1.0 brought in...heh.

Watching the trailer on a 42-inch widescreen sure feels different too.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-29, 11:00   Link #49
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
An acquaintance of mine visited the premiere in Tokyo, says the film is incredibly beautiful.

He did, however, warn me off spoilers and refused to divulge them himself, so now I'm dying to know what's so special about that plot there.

Anyone seen it already? How about some general reactions?
As humbug23 mentioned, The Sky Crawlers opened in Singapore cinemas on Nov 27. I watched it twice, on Nov 28 and 29 respectively.

This is the general reaction: It's a Mamoru Oshii movie produced by Production I.G. In other words, it's tediously boring — on first viewing.

That initial tedium was compounded by another problem — I had been listening to the movie's soundtrack so regularly for the past two months that I had formed certain impressions about the story based on the music's mood. Hence, I was often distracted whenever the music started playing, because the scenes did not match what I already had in mind.

That said, I highly recommend watching the movie a second time, after finding out what happened in the end. This is one of those films, I suppose, that gets better with repeated viewing.

(Also, watching it a second time reinforces the movie's central theme. Try it, and you'd see what I mean.)

My verdict after the second viewing? It's still a tedious film, not unlike the rest of Oshii's oeuvre, but nonetheless highly effective and even sadly beautiful. Perhaps that is the effect Oshii wanted, in which case, hat's off to him — he has created a wonderful movie.

But that may be giving Oshii more credit than is due. Some part of me suspects that he was being self-indulgent as usual, and was once again trying his audience's patience too severely with his overly languorous style.

I won't reveal too much more of the plot, because that would be a spoiler. My advice for those who are going to watch The Sky Crawlers: Think of it more as a whodunit mystery than a war movie. Once you spot the hows, the why will reveal itself.

And, oh yeah, remember to sit through the credits for the epilogue. It'll bring much-needed closure.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2008-11-30 at 13:03. Reason: Grammatical errors.
Old 2008-12-03, 10:59   Link #50
Ottocycle

Watched the show today, and I thought it was pretty good to be honest. After the 30 minutes or so it took for me to get rid of my restlessness, which I hear comes from the usual Oshii way of filmmaking(this is my first Oshii film), the plot and the premise actually unravelled itself quite well I think.

As TinyRedLeaf had mentioned, I went in the theatre with my brain switched on, and that was my verdict. Though the restlessness nearly got to me, with the movie taking its own sweet time to get into gear.

Maybe this is one movie that suits Oshii rather well. I'm inclined to think that this time, the dogfight scenes give some much-needed respite to the viewer, who's trying to piece the plot elements together and get the overall message, and the scenes aren't few and far-between, though not exactly a lot either. The tactic worked for me, I think, since I wasn't brain dead by the end of the movie.

Finally,
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
(Also, watching it a second time reinforces the movie's central theme. Try it, and you'd see what I mean.)
LOL. Good one.
Old 2008-12-03, 11:14   Link #51
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Glad to hear many good things about this movie. Can't wait to see it for myself, and share my thoughts.

So want to give the soundtrack a listen, though i must see the movie first.
Old 2009-02-28, 08:22   Link #52
metamorphic
ことわり
*Fansubber

... Update: The DVDs and Blu-rays have just recently been released. The soundtrack by Kawai Kenji has to be one of the best I've heard in recent times; the main theme is extremely enchanting indeed and definitely one of his best stuff I've heard - I particularly like the rendering he used for the main theme's blue fish orgel and ending versions.
metamorphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 01:31   Link #53
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I've seen the movie last night. The usage of CG is simply gorgeous. I wouldn't mind reading about how the animation crew got about handling the technical detail in regards to animation in this feature.

It's probably one of the simplistic setting for a storyline with a very good animation effort that I've seen in a while. I've come to notice that recently whenever there is a big-budget animated movie comes out, it tends to rely on a complicated way of story-telling to say the most simplistic of things. I would also advise caution to anyone who hasn't seen the movie to not to read the thread because the movie has one serious jolt that would ruin the enjoyment of the whole story if one comes to know it without watching it. Avoid spoilers at all cost until you've seen it. The entire story is a carefully laid set-up to lead to this tiny little fact. It was very sobering to watch it.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 02:08   Link #54
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
It's probably one of the simplistic setting for a storyline with a very good animation effort that I've seen in a while. I've come to notice that recently whenever there is a big-budget animated movie comes out, it tends to rely on a complicated way of story-telling to say the most simplistic of things.
That's probably a combination of Oshii and the need to have a "Big Message" (tm). I've stayed away from the recent Ghost in the Shell movies for this very reason.

I haven't watched Sky Crawlers yet, but is it more of a fun show, or is it more of a philosophical show. The former would be awesome, but the latter tends to be dreadful (especially in the hands of Oshii). Inquiring minds must know!
Old 2009-03-01, 02:20   Link #55
Ottocycle

If Oshii makes a fun show I'll be off straight to buy the lottery.

But that said, I do feel that the show gives occasional respite to the mind through the use of the aerial sequences, so the philosophy doesn't come onto you as heavily.

Provided you get past the first 30 minutes.
Old 2009-03-01, 02:25   Link #56
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
I would also advise caution to anyone who hasn't seen the movie to not to read the thread because the movie has one serious jolt that would ruin the enjoyment of the whole story if one comes to know it without watching it. Avoid spoilers at all cost until you've seen it. The entire story is a carefully laid set-up to lead to this tiny little fact. It was very sobering to watch it.
I wholeheartedly agree. The Sky Crawlers is Oshii's most accessible work to date (not counting Patlabor). You don't have to be highly perceptive to see how everything fits in the end, although a second viewing does help tremendously (because you'd know what to look out for).

In short, it's an extremely well-constructed whodunit with a huge twist at the end. Unfortunately, newbies unfamiliar with Oshii's oeuvre are likely to fall to sleep before they get to the punchline.

I can't wait for more people to see the movie. There's so much I'd like to discuss, but have been refraining from doing so because of the inadvertent spoilers I'd reveal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I haven't watched Sky Crawlers yet, but is it more of a fun show, or is it more of a philosophical show. The former would be awesome, but the latter tends to be dreadful (especially in the hands of Oshii). Inquiring minds must know!
Whatever philosophical message it contains is very tame in comparison to Ghost in the Shell. The guys at AnimeNewsNetwork did make some very good points, but I strongly recommend against reading it, because it contains major plot spoilers.
Old 2009-03-01, 02:37   Link #57
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
That's probably a combination of Oshii and the need to have a "Big Message" (tm). I've stayed away from the recent Ghost in the Shell movies for this very reason.

I'll assume spoiler tag mode from here on, but will give my best effort to remain as vague as possible so only you and other Oshii fans who are familiar with GitS may understand:

Spoiler for the sake of viewers who are still awaiting a watch:

Quote:
I can't wait for more people to see the movie. There's so much I'd like to discuss, but have been refraining from doing so because of the inadvertent spoilers I'd reveal.
We can go about discussing the movie. Some of us will even give the fans a chance to not to read the content by putting it in the spoiler tags so those fans are given further choices. Go ahead with your discussion.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 03:06   Link #58
Ottocycle

Quote:
Unfortunately, newbies unfamiliar with Oshii's oeuvre are likely to fall to sleep before they get to the punchline.
I belong in this demographic.
Quote:
Whatever philosophical message it contains is very tame in comparison to Ghost in the Shell.
And I guess there's quite an amount of bracing to be done before I go on to the next Oshii movie.

*Stares at the GiTS DVD sitting at the bottom of a dusty pile* Oh well.
Old 2009-03-01, 03:40   Link #59
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
I belong in this demographic.

And I guess there's quite an amount of bracing to be done before I go on to the next Oshii movie.

*Stares at the GiTS DVD sitting at the bottom of a dusty pile* Oh well.

No pain, no gain.

I survived GitS2: Innocence, Stray Dog and The Red Spectacles.

I'm a fan of Avalon.

Waiting for the DVD or BD release by Sony on May 26th.
Old 2009-03-01, 11:18   Link #60
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
If Oshii makes a fun show I'll be off straight to buy the lottery.
Hah! I figured as much. It's worth noting though, that he's quite capable of doing so.

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree. The Sky Crawlers is Oshii's most accessible work to date (not counting Patlabor). You don't have to be highly perceptive to see how everything fits in the end, although a second viewing does help tremendously (because you'd know what to look out for).
Well, that's somewhat encouraging. Nevermind newbies though, I fell asleep watching Innocence when I borrowed the DVD from a friend.

Quote:
Please don't worry on my behalf or anything like that. I only poked my head here because I saw that monir-sempai posted. I shall now stay away until I watch the film (which may or may not be in the near future). Oshii toning things down a bit is quite encouraging.

Quote:
We can go about discussing the movie. Some of us will even give the fans a chance to not to read the content by putting it in the spoiler tags so those fans are given further choices. Go ahead with your discussion.
Yup. Just to note, I only read the first sentence, but that's enough explanation for my needs.
I really liked the sound of the concept when I first heard about Sky Crawlers - an alternate universe story about early jet fighter pilots. That's right up my alley, so I was quite enthused about it until I heard that Oshii was directing. Still, I've enjoyed Oshii's works in the past, and it's good to hear that this isn't one of his more self-indulgent works, so I'll probably get the DVD the next time I decide to go and splurge. Heck, I went and got the Skyboys DVD because of the subject even though I knew that it was trash. Sky Crawlers has to be better than that.