AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-19, 10:39   Link #9801
Xenosnake
Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz blaster View Post
What really surprises me about that line is that Touma is actually quite confident that he can win. Wasn't underestimating his own abilities one of his bad habits?
"There I stood. I, a high school student who had just seriously beaten up an elementary school girl and laughing about it."
Old 2011-04-19, 12:10   Link #9802
ellifeedn
Thinker

^ That's another series there.
Old 2011-04-19, 12:43   Link #9803
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
^ That's another series there.
But not far from Touma's reality, he punched Anieze and Lesssar (Mikoto not far away) because they can be labeled as middle school girls.
Old 2011-04-19, 13:10   Link #9804
faiz blaster

Yeah, but he never acted all confident BEFORE actually defeating them in a fight.

And Misaka doesn't count because the two had many fights in the past (at least a month's worth) and he always came out unharmed. That is enough to give anyone a sense of superiority. On another hand, I remember reading somewhere that Misaka is afraid of fighting seriously against Touma because of that same reason.
Old 2011-04-19, 13:17   Link #9805
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, but he never acted all confident BEFORE actually defeating them in a fight.

And Misaka doesn't count because the two had many fights in the past (at least a month's worth) and he always came out unharmed. That is enough to give anyone a sense of superiority. On another hand, I remember reading somewhere that Misaka is afraid of fighting seriously against Touma because of that same reason.
If you talk about only Railgun, then she was serious but Touma wasn't.

If you include both series, Touma was serious because he can die if he fails protecting himself but no to the point to attack her since without her powers she is just a normal middle school girl, which is currently Touma's POV about Mikoto.
Old 2011-04-19, 14:10   Link #9806
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Against Misaka he serious defensively but not offensively. He'll go mike tyson on her.
Old 2011-04-19, 14:16   Link #9807
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
What really surprises me about that line is that Touma is actually quite confident that he can win. Wasn't underestimating his own abilities one of his bad habits?
It's up to your own interpretation, but personally for me I never got that impression from that one line.
Old 2011-04-19, 14:43   Link #9808
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Is it a mistranlsation in V.17 for 0th Parish?
Old 2011-04-19, 21:00   Link #9809
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Is it a mistranlsation in V.17 for 0th Parish?
No, it's pretty close. The original term used is 第零聖堂区 , "The n°0 church section" (from the English Church). I think that this isn't the first time that such definition pops up.

Quote:
It's more like Misaka never has gone all out on a person for fear of harming them. In Railgun we had the interesting point on were when Misaka could have gone all out on Kamijou for real but had second thoughts on it due to the fear that Kamijou might also go all out on her and she can't just predict what his ability can really do (and do to her).
From her own words Misaka has only gone all out on Kami-yan once (I think), and that's the start of the 1st novel when she pointed it out and then blacked out Academy City. She stated that she was going to go all out again in novel 3 but Touma pointed out that she held back for his sake (so that he survives), a fact which also puts into doubt that "all out" from the first novel.
Old 2011-04-19, 22:13   Link #9810
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
It's more like Misaka never has gone all out on a person for fear of harming them. In Railgun we had the interesting point on were when Misaka could have gone all out on Kamijou for real but had second thoughts on it due to the fear that Kamijou might also go all out on her and she can't just predict what his ability can really do (and do to her).
From her own words Misaka has only gone all out on Kami-yan once (I think), and that's the start of the 1st novel when she pointed it out and then blacked out Academy City. She stated that she was going to go all out again in novel 3 but Touma pointed out that she held back for his sake (so that he survives), a fact which also puts into doubt that "all out" from the first novel.
Novel 1 she really did go all out after that novel 3 with weakness or wavering in her heart about killing she didn't ended up going all out but after that. Every time she rains lightning on him after the event in sister arc she is more likely going all out or else a 2 billion bolts not going all out... I don't want to see her go higher than that. Plus it's not just one strike. It's rain of strikes.
Old 2011-04-19, 22:33   Link #9811
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

It takes an incredible amount of power for Lightning to actually travel across air, so the billions of volts is nothing surprising, but the thing that kills you isn't the voltage, but the ampere.
Old 2011-04-20, 02:07   Link #9812
tsunade666

now that you mention ampere. I haven't read the word ampere in the novel. The rain of lightning is normal and strike after strike is normal and even the word watts. I'm not sure if I had read it. It's all into voltage level.
Old 2011-04-20, 05:32   Link #9813
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
now that you mention ampere. I haven't read the word ampere in the novel. The rain of lightning is normal and strike after strike is normal and even the word watts. I'm not sure if I had read it. It's all into voltage level.
Well, what did you think Touma meant when he said Mikoto was holding back from killing him ? Mikoto has been constantly throwing billions of volts in every direction, which she has to in order for electricity to pass through air. But as long as she keeps the ampere below a certain value, they would never kill anyone.

I believe it was the scene on the bridge that Touma said that.
Old 2011-04-20, 09:01   Link #9814
ellifeedn
Thinker

So Misaka is using laws of physics known in our world? What a concept.
Old 2011-04-20, 11:32   Link #9815
Jobless Josh

Location: England, it's pretty small, I'm sure you'll find me.
lol at me being like six volumes behind the current discussion but hey I'm doing my best

I just started vol12 and I must say that I both lost and gained massive amounts of respect for Motoharu after the incident with the stew that Maika made for him at the end of chapter 1, curse the anime, small and insignificant it may be but I would have loved to see that.

It's these little differences that make me glad I decided to read the Novels.
Old 2011-04-20, 14:45   Link #9816
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Volume 17 chapter 3 part 12 out
Old 2011-04-20, 21:04   Link #9817
Phibrizzo
Honos628

And the dreaded day has come... the firewall of my work blocked Bata-Tsuki (To bad you can filter it with google translate) >> take that sonicwall
Old 2011-04-20, 23:49   Link #9818
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
"12" was yesterday, today is 13 (is already there). At least that's how it goes in my day / night / sleep cycle :P
Old 2011-04-21, 21:11   Link #9819
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
"12" was yesterday, today is 13 (is already there). At least that's how it goes in my day / night / sleep cycle :P
Double posting because yes we can! Parts 14 and 15 have been uploaded.

I should say that I'm enjoying Lessar antics much more than I should.

Last edited by Okashira; 2011-04-21 at 21:22.
Old 2011-04-22, 03:37   Link #9820
Ashaman

Its becasue you know that while she is an enemy now, by the time the next story arc rolls around, she is going to be the Memetic Molester of the Kamijou Harem.

That influences you, however subconciously.

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen