AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-06, 04:53   Link #341
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Oh shoot, my bad, it was Zaris. I got you two confused because of the Nayuki signatures...
Make a FE stat list for either me or Zaris, and MAYBE either of us will decide to use it instead....and then you won't have that problem anymore.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 07:55   Link #342
cmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-d01 View Post
^ So that's at least 3 females watching this show. =D
...*is a girl*

Are there really that few females who plan on watching this? I tend to naturally assume that there're about an equal amount of males and females watching everything, but that's probably became I'm equally interested in shoujo and shounen, etc.
cmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 08:04   Link #343
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmage View Post
...*is a girl*

Are there really that few females who plan on watching this? I tend to naturally assume that there're about an equal amount of males and females watching everything, but that's probably became I'm equally interested in shoujo and shounen, etc.
One of my friends made the observation that she and other fangirls often avoid internet forums. Instead, they go to series and theme-specifc internet community fansites. She has an account here in animesuki, but couldn't stand the level of arguments that's the norm in a forum and left very quickly.

According to her, she prefers to hang out with like-minded fans, rather than wasting time arguing with people. e.g. She is an AthrunXCagalli shipper, so she goes to a specific net community of AthCaga fanclub for her discussions. (Not that it is for AthCaga; not for any other pairing. It is extremely specific and tailored to the taste of the visitor. The strict mods made sure it stay that way.)

As a guy, I don't really understand her explanations. But I will take her word for it. Are we like lions after all? Women hunt in packs, while men hunt alone?

If the inheritent nature of an internet forum is more male-friendly, perhaps that could be why we have less females in animesuki.
Old 2007-04-06, 08:34   Link #344
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Meh. All that stuff is only true to an extent. I guess it kind of gets my goat when people say things like, "Oh, women are more social," or "Oh, men don't know how to deal with emotions." Sure, it might be a general trend, but the variation among men or among women is ultimately much greater than the concrete differences between the sexes.

Would you join a BL forum full of excited fangirls? Probably not. Would a girl without much interest in bishoujo anime join this forum? Maybe not, as it's what tends to be most popular around here. I've also noticed that female posters tend to get shot down a little bit for making comments that go even slightly against the general fanboy drift (Nanoha/Yuuno for instance). It's not really a big deal, but in the long run it doesn't do much to reel the ladies in.

Everyone can comment on the behavior of the people they know. I've been to forums with a lot of females and forums like this one with less (I don't think it'd be as unbalanced as people suspect if we ran a poll in one of the off-topic forums down below, though). Certainly LJ comms tend to be vastly more female than male, but I don't think this says anything in particular about the female psyche... after all, the way LJ comms are run is very similar to the way forums are run, and the ensuing debates can be just as flame-filled and wanky. It's just that people tend to go where like-minded people have already gathered, and that applies as much to men here as women elsewhere.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 08:46   Link #345
FireChick

I'm a female and I'll watch it.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 08:52   Link #346
Skane
Anime Snark

Exclamation

"And on today's agenda, we will be covering the mathematical mistakes that Einstein made in his theory of Special Relativity; after which, there will be a brief review of ANN's latest Buried Treasure entry on Coo from the Distant Seas (where dolphins get shot by machine-guns). If time permits, we may even do a quick discussion of Suguru's rant on Cabbage Love.

Are there any questions at this point?"

"Please, good Sir, but isn't this the thread for Lucky Star?"

"Lucky what?"

More than the past 20 replies are all off-topic! Back to Lucky Star, people!

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-06, 08:58   Link #347
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost

Aunt Haruho meets Yukari-sensei?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 09:54   Link #348
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
As a guy, I don't really understand her explanations. But I will take her word for it. Are we like lions after all? Women hunt in packs, while men hunt alone?
Most women tend to stay in small close knit groups that rarely allows outsider to come in (broad generalization). Some guys do it as well but we call em gangsters

From personal experience, i find that guys can mingle around the groups more easily than girls can but are often less attached to em than girls are. I could be wrong but guys are more drawn to arguements than women are on the forums. (atleast a greater number of posters i argued with are guys)

But back to the topic, i think there would be a lot more girls watching this since it's on a shoujo magazine and deals with girl otaku-ism?
Old 2007-04-06, 09:58   Link #349
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

It deals with a girl version of male-otakuism (these aren't exactly fujoshi, lol... they do play eroge and stuff), and it runs in a PC magazine aimed at males, not a shoujo mag. For a clearer depiction of female otakuism it might be better to turn to something like Genshiken... or the latter part of the manga, at any rate.

None of this is a strike against Lucky Star or should prevent it from being watched by females, of course. If it's anything like Azumanga Daioh, it should have a very broad crossover audience, and otaku humor tends to play well with everyone, as long as it isn't mind-numbingly obscure. We did see the opposite happening with Ouran, which had a solid male audience and made heaps of fun of female otaku.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 10:07   Link #350
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But I'm mega-confused now. So what gender does Kaoishin_sama want to be referred to as? Male or female?

Could this question be answered before going back to Lucky Star?
Old 2007-04-06, 10:24   Link #351
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
"Please, good Sir, but isn't this the thread for Lucky Star?"

"Lucky what?"
Wait! You mean this anime isn't the Shakugan no Shana spinoff, "Lucky☆Shana"?

I've been had!!!

Spoiler:
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 10:30   Link #352
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
If anyone wants a reason behind this series being the best anime/manga ever, then all they need to do is see this.
Old 2007-04-06, 11:21   Link #353
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I wouldn't go that far lol.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 11:22   Link #354
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I wouldn't go that far lol.
I would, 'cause i have a sense of humor like that.
Old 2007-04-06, 13:03   Link #355
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

30-second version of Konata commercial. Link will probably die soon.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 13:09   Link #356
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
30-second version of Konata commercial. Link will probably die soon.
I just fell even more in love with Kona-chan. I didn't think that was possible.
Old 2007-04-06, 13:10   Link #357
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
Wait! You mean this anime isn't the Shakugan no Shana spinoff, "Lucky☆Shana"?

I've been had!!!

She actually looks better with red hair IMHO.
Old 2007-04-06, 13:11   Link #358
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
She actually looks better with red hair IMHO.

I didn't hear that. :3
Old 2007-04-06, 14:58   Link #359
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Gender differences are socially constructed and therefore do not exist naturally. This was discussed in a core Social Sciences course I took in university. Sex, the biological difference between male and female does occur naturally however. Gender differences are only as real as the society in which they exist makes them. For example in ancient history (actually up until pretty recently in North America in the 1920's) women were not seen as full people and thus were not given votes or social status. Eventually people caught on to the fact that if men and women are the same species than they must both be people. It took them damn long enough though.
Social sciences should stick to social sciences and not try to give knowledge on what is a biological matter. Do some research on the web, and find articles made by scientists who work in biological and psychological fields. You'll find that there are biological behavioral differences between men and women. The idea that gender differences are socially constructed is just to make people feel more in control of themselves than they actually are.

Men tend to be more aggressive. Fact. Men tend to objectify things more. Fact. Women usually empathize better. Fact. Women tend to have better verbal skills. Fact.

Certainly there are exceptions like all things, but the majority of cases show that men and women tend to follow these patterns. Social constructs were placed to enhance these core biological patterns. Aggressive people tend to gain more power more often,and the fact is there has never been one instance of a human civilization in all of history that did not have male domination of power and status, and while we've taken great steps to even the playing field for both genders, males still dominate society. You may say that modern civilization is more 'advanced' than past ones, but consider that the ancient Romans granted citizenship to any person regardless of color if they worked for it (or got lucky somehow), while America just a couple hundred years ago saw blacks as animals. Or the fact that many Americans today see homosexuals as abnormal, when the ancient Greeks had no problems at all with homosexuality.

You can continue to even the playing field, but if that biological need to be aggressive and drive oneself with reckless abandon, if the motivation doesn't exist it's extremely hard for any person to acquire power and status.

Does all this make me feel good about it? No, but the evidence shows that it's true, and truth is truth, no matter how good or bad it makes one feel. We just have to live with it somehow.
Old 2007-04-06, 15:26   Link #360
piccu

I'm female as well^^ and I'm going to watch it because I'm interested in KyoAni's adaptation since I did not like the manga very much...

I think it's true that females tend to hang-out in their tight-knit fan communities...
E.g: There are more females on livejournal and more males on general anime forums.
I hang out on botih equally, since I am not fixed on any genre at all and I do watch bishoujo anime^^ and I do find female characters moé but I still prefer handsome male characters
piccu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen