AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

View Poll Results: Darker Than Black - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 29 14.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 20.59%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 18.14%
7 out of 10 : Good 38 18.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 5.39%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 11 5.39%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.96%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 3.92%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 24 11.76%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-04, 00:39   Link #341
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
*snips*
Actually I'm not really the observant type myself, but I guess a class on Literary Criticism hammered into my head the need to look for subtle nuances in whatever it is I'm reading or watching. Hmm, think of the bullet points I compiled as simply added information, yes? It's more useful in that way, I think.

As for Darker than Black's future, in the end we'll just have to see. It's not something one can view via a New Critic's lens... Maybe a Post-Structuralist take would be better for it given the execution of its themes (especially in the second season's abandonment of the Serial structure).
Old 2010-01-04, 17:29   Link #342
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Kinda reminds me of Clannad After Story. I didn't like it then and i don't like it now. Though I have to admit it's nice seeing a happy ending for Suou just like it was for the Okazaki family. Just out of curiosity, Suou's father said something about Shion's clones having a minor difference to the original. Did he ever tell us because I can't remember. Would it apply to the copy world?
Old 2010-01-04, 18:31   Link #343
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Actually I'm not really the observant type myself, but I guess a class on Literary Criticism hammered into my head the need to look for subtle nuances in whatever it is I'm reading or watching. Hmm, think of the bullet points I compiled as simply added information, yes? It's more useful in that way, I think.

As for Darker than Black's future, in the end we'll just have to see. It's not something one can view via a New Critic's lens... Maybe a Post-Structuralist take would be better for it given the execution of its themes (especially in the second season's abandonment of the Serial structure).
I'm all about subtlety and nuance trust me...I've probably have had more debates and discussions on "looking deeper" when it comes to examining anime shows than anything else (Well prolly ownage posts too^^)...But to me the problem with DtB in this regard was that if I'm not really engaged on the story or how the story-elements are presented I'm not going to feel the natural inclination to want to sub-surface...Without a finite focus during either seasons IMO, it was very hard (if not utterly frustrating) to add up all the nuances while ignoring the perplexities i perceived in how the show was arranged in a literal sense...
Old 2010-01-05, 05:42   Link #344
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Just out of curiosity, Suou's father said something about Shion's clones having a minor difference to the original. Did he ever tell us because I can't remember. Would it apply to the copy world?
It does in a way. There are no Gates in the Second Earth.
Old 2010-01-06, 20:13   Link #345
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
It does in a way. There are no Gates in the Second Earth.
Yeah, but supposedly a meteor core is in the center of New Earth as the 2ch theory goes. You'd think that a Gate would eventually show up.
Old 2010-01-07, 19:16   Link #346
AuroraFlash
good-natured spirit
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to AuroraFlash Send a message via MSN to AuroraFlash
I'm sorry to break in here and maybe interrupt a discussion, but I just finished watching the final episode and I was moved to tears. That was one of the most beautiful endings of an anime I've ever witnessed.
Old 2010-01-07, 23:22   Link #347
klare

everything is good until the ending...

what does the prophecy mean? are all these things done just for the happiness of Suou?

btw did that lesbian contractor die?

did not expect it end so fast
Old 2010-01-08, 04:47   Link #348
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
are all these things done just for the happiness of Suou?
Well if I'm not mistaken, Shion did create an entire copy of the world, just for Suou.
Old 2010-01-08, 08:10   Link #349
fedor mma

We got trolled by BONES. and a serious note though ending can be understood,its just the details that are left out,just like S1.There better be a S3 or something after a cliffhanger like that. Overall its pretty good,although i like S1 better just for the fact that its a little easier to understand. Now for the DTB OVA's.Oh yeah the hazuki/Hei fight + kiss was super awesome/hot.
Old 2010-01-08, 08:18   Link #350
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
7 out of 10 from me. Overall, the series was satisfying, but it lacked the spark that was had from season 1. There's a lot of things that are skipped out or just plain difficult to understand because of its vagueness. 12 eps were too few for the whole picture to be presented. Nevertheless, I can't say this was bad at all. There was a fair amount of character development with a few good surprises here and there. July's change especially struck me, and I hope if they make a season 3, he and Suou meet again.
Old 2010-01-09, 18:55   Link #351
PNGO
#1 in ♦YouR♦ ♥HuRt♥ ♂

I liked the series but it's not close to being as good as the first season.
Old 2010-01-09, 20:14   Link #352
Nvis
Where are the good animes

So many "1" ratings.
Old 2010-01-09, 21:27   Link #353
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
So many "1" ratings.
Shhhh. They're disappointed Yin shippers.
Old 2010-01-10, 06:40   Link #354
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
Also season 1 much more better than season 2
Old 2010-01-11, 00:12   Link #355
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Been holding off on watching the last ep so I finally got around to it. Still need to sit on this one.

On the one hand, it does an okay job as a standalone series - Suou's purpose was explained and she met the end of her journey. On the other hand, DtB as a whole it doesn't do any justice. It's a shame since they did an excellent job with the setting - a world with gates, contractors, "a hero without a name" that chose to save both humans and contractors, and finally one who's seen the future of said world. It sucks that they're axing it when the manga ends and the OVA is released.

On a side note, I'm guessing what Misaki "gave up" was Hei.

Dammit, BONES. This was Xam'd all over again, wasn't it?
Old 2010-01-11, 07:03   Link #356
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

AAAA!!!! I don't know what is happening in this ending.....

I really hope that Yin, Hei, and Mao can do their old job like in the first season again....
Maybe that won't be happen....

I like how Suou and July live in a new world... but I don't like how Hei and Yin ended like that (just dissapeared cluelessly)
Old 2010-01-13, 05:20   Link #357
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
AAAA!!!! I don't know what is happening in this ending.....

I really hope that Yin, Hei, and Mao can do their old job like in the first season again....
Maybe that won't be happen....

I like how Suou and July live in a new world... but I don't like how Hei and Yin ended like that (just dissapeared cluelessly)
u can say Hei and Yin lived together happily after that

as for the basic questions about contractors, they are not answered in this 12 eps...
Old 2010-01-13, 07:19   Link #358
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
u can say Hei and Yin lived together happily after that
Despite the fact that she's dead or in the process of dying....
Old 2010-01-13, 13:22   Link #359
AuroraFlash
good-natured spirit
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to AuroraFlash Send a message via MSN to AuroraFlash
The final episode was beautiful. I know that it is a strange idea that one contractor created or rather copied the whole world and the one thing different about it is that there are no gates at all - and I admit that I wonder where in the solar system it's supposed to be, because another earth in our solar system would bring chaos and destruction - but I don't care as long as the ending is as romantic, tragic and beautiful as the one I witnessed. I was confused for about a second and then I just witnessed that beautiful thought and I totally liked it and I still like it.
Old 2010-01-13, 19:20   Link #360
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Despite the fact that she's dead or in the process of dying....
I dunno, the ending may indicate that, but I'd prefer to believe she's not dead. Because I'd prefer to believe that the staff and director wouldn't be so dang cruel to Hei. >.>

He loses Pai, then Amber, then Yin, then Suou, and then loses Yin again? That's subzero cold, man.