Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-12-18, 06:52   Link #1
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Giovanni no Shima

The new Production I.G. film Giovanni's Island is scheduled for a 2/22/14 release. New trailer is out:

Quote:
In the aftermath of the most devastating conflict mankind had ever experienced, the tiny island of Shikotan became part of the Sakhalin Oblast... and on the unhealed border in this remote corner of the world, friendship among children from two different countries timidly blossomed, striving to overcome language barriers and the waves of history. Inspired by true events.

On August 15th, they told us we had lost the war. At that time, we did not really understand. Then one day, everything changed. Many soldiers, wearing uniforms we had never seen before, arrived on the island. That was the day I met Tanya.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-18, 20:20   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

This is I.G.? It sure looks like a Ghibli film, and it gives me a mix of Grave of the Fireflies and Now and Then, Here and There vibes.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 01:00   Link #3
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Insta on my plan to watch list.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 02:17   Link #4
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Is this a political movie?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 12:19   Link #5
konart

^ no

Interview with Mizuho Nishikubo and international trailer (japanese and russian vo + english subs):

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...zuho-nishikubo
Old 2014-02-11, 13:52   Link #6
Utsuro no Hako

I sure hope the kid calling himself Campanella isn't a death flag.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 15:16   Link #7
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I sure hope the kid calling himself Campanella isn't a death flag.
I think that they are named after Giovanni Domenico Campanella. If so - there are no real death flags for either of them.
Old 2014-02-11, 22:18   Link #8
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
I think that they are named after Giovanni Domenico Campanella. If so - there are no real death flags for either of them.
That may be where Miyazawa got the names of the characters in Night on the Galactic Railroad, but this film is definitely referencing Miyazawa -- the director even says so in the interview you linked to:

Quote:
But then I thought that I wanted to add a fantastic element to the story, and this came from Kenji Miyazawa's novel, Night on the Galactic Railroad. The novel and its world are a sort of psychological driving force for the two brothers, it's what sustains them in face of hardship and provides a little escape from the chaos around them, but also the key to interpret what's happening.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 23:03   Link #9
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
That may be where Miyazawa got the names of the characters in Night on the Galactic Railroad, but this film is definitely referencing Miyazawa -- the director even says so in the interview you linked to:
I never had a chance to watch it though T_T
Old 2014-10-18, 13:03   Link #10
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Well this just got shown at scotland loves anime and I simply loved it.It seemed to go over well with the audience as well, a few people I talked to seemed surprised at the amount of feels.

It is real UFO in not only the anime landscape but as the director said in the interview it's a story not told so I could have enjoyed it just based on the novelty but it's also a story really well told.There's just one scene I found over the top but to me the whole rest hit home quite deeply.
One reason it hit home is I feel that the story is very much a human story with no politics thrown in, it's the story of kids (and adults!) caught up in something beyond their control, there's something universal to that. Even if there's scenes showing rivalry between the two countries there's reconciliation later on
Spoiler for very minor, but in case you want to go in blind:

The other reason is that I feel that it was really elegantly told, how do you show people connecting together without language?The director found some really cool solutions to that.My favorite scene of the movie is maybe the brothers connecting with the girl for the first time, yet it's done without them talking to each other. Also the music by itself isn't shattering but I found it very well used, the director says use of music is something he really works on and I feel that shows, a lot of anime could learn from this movie.

And yes , Night on the Galactic Railroad is all over this film but I don't feel it felt gimmicky and even if I havn't read it it didn't take away from my enjoyment.

The audience was told before the film was shown that 80% of it is real, I hope the girl Tanya is part of that 80%, the world would be a better place with more Tanyas around.

Spoiler for big big spoiler:
Old 2014-11-22, 10:12   Link #11
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just watched (and posted) on this one. A real emotional powerhouse - lovingly made and emotionally true. It's not a subtle film - I would call it overtly sentimental - but given that the story is told through a child's eyes, that makes perfect sense.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, ww ii