AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-03, 14:25   Link #61
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
But the US are extremely fixated with individual freedom. In a scenario like the one seen in MHA, I'm sure someone would make the case that Quirk registration and state control would be a violation of Constitutional and human rights.

If everybody bought and liberally used guns, society would be a mess. Which is what happens a lot in the US, but still, a lot of people don't want guns to be regulated. Things are never so simple. I'm not saying that it's not right, but registration is not the *only* way to proceed about this, and I think it would be interesting to explore what other societies did to cope with the same issue.
Well, US constitution doesn't protect the use of superpowers, and a good thing too. The potential for harming others or oneself with misused quirks is so great that I think the needs of the many ought to, and hopefully would, outweigh the liberty of the individual. Registration of superheroes is cast a bad thing when they're a potentially persecuted minority, but superpowers are in the majority here. Also, humans usually learn to control natural abilities at a similar rate to their growth in strength. Superhuman powers are quite possibly too much for adult humans to use sanely (clue's in the name) let alone children, so people would hopefully understand that registration, training and counselling was necessary. Hopefully.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 15:32   Link #62
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Well, US constitution doesn't protect the use of superpowers, and a good thing too. The potential for harming others or oneself with misused quirks is so great that I think the needs of the many ought to, and hopefully would, outweigh the liberty of the individual. Registration of superheroes is cast a bad thing when they're a potentially persecuted minority, but superpowers are in the majority here. Also, humans usually learn to control natural abilities at a similar rate to their growth in strength. Superhuman powers are quite possibly too much for adult humans to use sanely (clue's in the name) let alone children, so people would hopefully understand that registration, training and counselling was necessary. Hopefully.
But it must also be said that in MHA's world a lot of quirks are pretty minor. The people we see, aspiring superheroes and villains, are exceptional in that they have very strong quirks that give them actual fighting capability. Most people aren't like that. Back in Season 1 we saw the doctor talking with Deku's parents and his mother said she could move objects with her mind 'a little', and her husband was slightly pyrokinetic. But by this logic for example if you were outside and needed to light a barbecue you couldn't use your powers without committing a crime even if they were weak enough to do just that, not harm others. Another country could for example classify quirks by danger level and only impose restrictions on the most powerful ones, or simply impose registration without restriction. After all knowing WHO has what powers is the biggest deal. It doesn't matter if some random dude uses telekinesis to load stuff on a truck, it matters if he uses it to rob a bank. Unless you're actually trying to control the economic effect of Quirks as well, which is a whole another can of worms (and here we go back to Ochako's case, both the good side and the bad: without restrictions, a bad family might have forced her into helping, making it basically child labour. But without restrictions she could also have willingly jumped in to help as soon as possible, thus lifting the sorts of her small company who has to compete with bigger ones that can only widen the gap thanks to their chance to hire strong licensed Quirk users).

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 17:56   Link #63
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
You need a license to be a hair stylist now. I see nothing unusual in the government wanting you to prove that you can control your quirk well before you can use it professionally.
Needing a license to move multi-ton objects through the air... seems pretty reasonable, actually. Needing a hero license, OTOH, seems overkill.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 18:58   Link #64
Magewolf

Quote:
In which country? Different places have very different policies on this matter. I agree that it makes sense, but consider this: a quirk isn't something you buy or acquire, it's part of your own body, of yourself. So restraining quirk use with a license is like telling you that you need government approval to run, or blow your nose, or have sex. Of course none of those things has the destructive potential of a badly used quirk, but there could be a case made that in terms of 'habeas corpus' the State should not have the right to tell you what to do with your natural-born abilities, and should only punish you if you actively committed crimes with them. It's not dissimilar to some aspects of the debate surrounding abortion, where some claim the State ought to regulate it because it is harmful while others reclaim the right of a woman to total control and ownership over her body (and that is the currently prevalent policy in Western countries).

I can totally see Japan doing this. Some European countries too, to various degrees. But the US are extremely fixated with individual freedom. In a scenario like the one seen in MHA, I'm sure someone would make the case that Quirk registration and state control would be a violation of Constitutional and human

If everybody bought and liberally used guns, society would be a mess. Which is what happens a lot in the US, but still, a lot of people don't want guns to be regulated. Things are never so simple. I'm not saying that it's not right, but registration is not the *only* way to proceed about this, and I think it would be interesting to explore what other societies did to cope with the same issue.

The USA. Look http://study.com/articles/Hairdressi...irdresser.html.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 19:10   Link #65
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Licensing for things like hairdressing are generally done at the state or local level. Legally, that's the only way they should be handled, as the US Constitution grants all rights not explicitly granted to the federal government to the states or the individuals. This is also why you have some states and locales like New York or Chicago which strictly regulate firearms and others like Texas and Arizona which are quite liberal (in the classic sense) with their gun laws.

I would imagine something as unexpected to the Founders as personal superpowers would have enough political capital behind it to allow for the passage of a Constitutional Amendment and put its regulation in the hands of the federal government, though, especially given that the initial users of that power wouldn't be voting for their own rights for at least 18 years after the powers started showing up.
Old 2017-04-03, 19:28   Link #66
DemonneoPT

In my opinion, i don't see the problem with it. We have a Citizen Card with all of the information about us. We need a master's degree or something like that to do certain jobs. We need a driving licence to operate vehicles. I don't see what is the issue about needing a licence to use our powers in a professional way too. Otherwise, what's the point of having hero schools to begin with if everyone is free to use their quirks without proper training? It's like hiring an architect or an engineer without a diploma that probably has no idea what he is doing. Plus, heroes that fight crime and have no license to do so are just vigilantes that could do more harm than good and can mess up with ongoing police operations.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-03, 20:46   Link #67
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
In my opinion, i don't see the problem with it. We have a Citizen Card with all of the information about us. We need a master's degree or something like that to do certain jobs. We need a driving licence to operate vehicles. I don't see what is the issue about needing a licence to use our powers in a professional way too. Otherwise, what's the point of having hero schools to begin with if everyone is free to use their quirks without proper training? It's like hiring an architect or an engineer without a diploma that probably has no idea what he is doing. Plus, heroes that fight crime and have no license to do so are just vigilantes that could do more harm than good and can mess up with ongoing police operations.
I don't think anyone is saying they have a problem with it, we're just spitballing over whether certain countries would do it and how they would. Generally speaking, the attitude of the average American toward their government is quite different than with many other countries, and I'm sure there are other countries with citizens with different attitudes than yours or ours.
Old 2017-04-04, 02:16   Link #68
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
But it must also be said that in MHA's world a lot of quirks are pretty minor. The people we see, aspiring superheroes and villains, are exceptional in that they have very strong quirks that give them actual fighting capability. Most people aren't like that. Back in Season 1 we saw the doctor talking with Deku's parents and his mother said she could move objects with her mind 'a little', and her husband was slightly pyrokinetic. But by this logic for example if you were outside and needed to light a barbecue you couldn't use your powers without committing a crime even if they were weak enough to do just that, not harm others.
You probably don't need to seek permission or file paperwork every time you use a quirk, just register what it is (or if it changes in strength?) and satisfy the authorities you can use it safely, driving test comparison is good.
Old 2017-04-04, 02:52   Link #69
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Needing a license to move multi-ton objects through the air... seems pretty reasonable, actually. Needing a hero license, OTOH, seems overkill.
...You don't think people should have a license before they're allowed to enact vigilante justice on people?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-04, 02:57   Link #70
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
...You don't think people should have a license before they're allowed to enact vigilante justice on people?
I think he meant it's an overkill to need an hero license to use your powers at all. It'd be like needing a truck driver license to use a motorbike. I'm not sure if that's how it works in MHA, but if it was, agreed, it would be a huge waste of potential. Different levels of licenses tailored to different levels of usage, with "Hero" being the top level, would make more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I don't think anyone is saying they have a problem with it, we're just spitballing over whether certain countries would do it and how they would. Generally speaking, the attitude of the average American toward their government is quite different than with many other countries, and I'm sure there are other countries with citizens with different attitudes than yours or ours.
Yeah, exactly what I meant. I made the example of gun laws because that's also an example of Japan and the USA being at diametrically opposed positions (I think civilian weapon ownership in Japan is basically non-existent out of perhaps hunting clubs).

Old 2017-04-04, 03:11   Link #71
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I think he meant it's an overkill to need an hero license to use your powers at all. It'd be like needing a truck driver license to use a motorbike. I'm not sure if that's how it works in MHA, but if it was, agreed, it would be a huge waste of potential. Different levels of licenses tailored to different levels of usage, with "Hero" being the top level, would make more sense.

Yeah, that.
Old 2017-04-04, 05:08   Link #72
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I would imagine something as unexpected to the Founders as personal superpowers would have enough political capital behind it to allow for the passage of a Constitutional Amendment and put its regulation in the hands of the federal government, though, especially given that the initial users of that power wouldn't be voting for their own rights for at least 18 years after the powers started showing up.
There should be a universal registration/counselling standard; maybe more analogous to federal and international standards of drug production and medical practice than gun licensing? A situation where superpower registration was as variable as gun licensing would lead to more uncounselled unregistered heroes like the hand faced guy.
Old 2017-04-04, 10:12   Link #73
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think you're misunderstanding here. Uraraka doesn't intend to work in construction. Her parents didn't want her to, so instead she chose to become a pro hero in order to bring in tons of dough and allow her parents to live a better life.

I'm sure there are different types of licenses.
Old 2017-04-04, 12:50   Link #74
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I think you're misunderstanding here. Uraraka doesn't intend to work in construction. Her parents didn't want her to, so instead she chose to become a pro hero in order to bring in tons of dough and allow her parents to live a better life.
I think we're just talking hypothetically about Uraraka working as a builder.
Old 2017-04-04, 15:33   Link #75
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

I'm sure there are different types of licenses.
I'm not so sure.
Old 2017-04-04, 18:24   Link #76
Twi

There has to be, logically speaking. A lot of quirks that have decent commercial use aren't suitable for heroic use. If heroes are government workers, then you'd have different licenses for different permissions.
Old 2017-04-05, 03:31   Link #77
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
There has to be, logically speaking. A lot of quirks that have decent commercial use aren't suitable for heroic use. If heroes are government workers, then you'd have different licenses for different permissions.
Heroes are government workers because they enforce security, they're basically a fancier branch of police. That doesn't mean anyone using power has to be; in most capitalist economies (so anything outside of China and a couple other countries today) it would actually be considered an outrageous restriction on personal freedom to impose something like that. Even licenses aren't the same as being literally working FOR the government. I actually don't see much the point of licensing for Quirks that aren't powerful enough to risk producing collateral damage. Some Quirks don't seem much more dangerous than what people can do normally with their bodies. Sure, registration makes sense because you could use purposefully those Quirks to do harm, so if someone is found dead with, say, their blood boiled off, you KNOW to look for that guy who can make liquids boil with their touch. But if that same guy did not commit any crime and simply used his power to run his hot drinks stand, what would be the point of asking him to take a license? It's not like he could do something harmful by accident with that sort of ability. Nothing more harmful than what a regular person could do by heating a pot of water by regular means, anyway.

Old 2017-04-05, 07:22   Link #78
Ghostfriendly

For simpler quirks, the process might be closer to a physical exam than a driving license, just to confirm the quirk is too weak to pose a risk to others. They probably have a way to physically measure a Quirk's theoretical maximum (not actual) strength, so a villain from a very young age couldn't conceal his strength... interesting idea.
Old 2017-04-06, 05:47   Link #79
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I think the problem is there are quirks out there that can be incredibly dangerous if misused (even on accident, with the best intentions). The black hole teacher points out that their quirk can quite easily kill people if they aren't being careful. Therefore, some amount of licensing to be able to use your quirk in professional situations seems only reasonable to me.

For example, if you had razorblades for fingers, you'd make an excellent hair stylist, but some license that proves you won't accidentally scalp someone would make me feel a lot safer.

That being said, UA is specifically for training heroes. Not everyone with a quirk goes there.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-06, 06:40   Link #80
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
For simpler quirks, the process might be closer to a physical exam than a driving license, just to confirm the quirk is too weak to pose a risk to others. They probably have a way to physically measure a Quirk's theoretical maximum (not actual) strength, so a villain from a very young age couldn't conceal his strength... interesting idea.
Nope. When Deku had to register his quirk, All Might said they don't know what people's quirk are, let alone how strong they are. They just go by what people demonstrate.

Tags
action, super hero, superpowers