AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-02-23, 05:22   Link #1001
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxMaximilianMaximus View Post
Thanks to this episode, we have something like this on the internet.
I LOL'd a that picture.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 05:24   Link #1002
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
I'm more disturbed by the chain of event's on /a/:

-Noel's black panties is no where to be found in the laundry pile.
-Some /a/ infers that Noel never wash them.
-the same /a/ declares intention to suck on said panty.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 05:27   Link #1003
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
I'm more disturbed by the chain of event's on /a/:

-Noel's black panties is no where to be found in the laundry pile.
-Some /a/ infers that Noel never wash them.
-the same /a/ declares intention to suck on said panty.
Oh yeah are the SOW bashers now back out in full force after this episode? Can't get on /a/ due to ban.

Thanks a lot Aniplex and A-1 pictures?
Old 2010-02-23, 06:13   Link #1004
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
Oh yeah are the SOW bashers now back out in full force after this episode? Can't get on /a/ due to ban.
Not as bad as one would think as far as I can tell. Since the bashers only join and not create threads, ep8 with less content meant less threads = less bash.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 10:13   Link #1005
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Surprisingly funny and deceptively simple for an episode that almost exclusively set in one room. Pretty minimalist in setting yet trying to maximize what tn can do with a room, a hallway and a bathroom. A very nice attempt.

It's good we still have episodes like this to show that bleak and rather bittersweet ones like the previous are to be the permanent norm. Best episode of course is the old priest falling into a pile of panties.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 12:50   Link #1006
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
And the staff decided to go back to the moe-stuff

I feel like there are two groups producing this show, one want to make a memorable show and the other one to sell moe-blobs
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 12:54   Link #1007
Midonin
Last Engage

Who says that moe can't be memorable?
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 17:33   Link #1008
Roardel

That's tactics. If they will do both, this series will become a epoch.
A Memorable moe masterpiece or a trash.
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 17:42   Link #1009
Malkuth
Banned

My take is that they have very good material to work with, BUT they do not believe that anyone would be interested in it, so they try very hard to lighten it with the same crap that sell to niche markets. Dunno, lack of vision, detachment from reality, again stupid management/production really ruins a potentially wonderful show
Old 2010-02-23, 18:30   Link #1010
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
niche markets
Are you attempting to demonize your own fandom?
Old 2010-02-23, 18:49   Link #1011
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Are you attempting to demonize your own fandom?
Nope, I am just making an observation on how a potential expansion is turned into a reduction by focusing on superficial analysis. i.e. there are countless shows that had a vast following without losing their appeal to the classical otaku (Bakemonogatari being the most recent), against predictions.

In my case, I enjoy both stupid shows (like K-On!) and good ones (like Haibane Renmei). The difference is that I also acknowledge that K-On! is just crap to have a laugh at how stupid they are, before you go to sleep after a hard day; while on the other hand, I still think about Haibane Renmei and discuss it with friends years after I watched the damn thing!

For what concerns Sora no Woto, the problem IMHO is that the production team has no idea what they want to produce, and end up ruining very good material, by doing cheap tricks, with the hope of appealing at least to a certain market that studios like KyoAni dominated during the last years.
Old 2010-02-23, 18:49   Link #1012
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Who says that moe can't be memorable?
I have nothing against the moe artstyle per se as long as there's something else to keep me interested like humour. And that humour is what draws me to watching shows like Hidamari Sketch and K-On.

The problem here with SOW is that it also tries to go beyond being a slice of life with constant tease of a more in depth setting. And in this show those two elements constantly clash with each other. Just look at what the music genre produced. 4 episodes of crappy music and military metaphors. Not to mention, the humour in this show is bland in my tastes.

Spoiler for Let's look at comedy:

Fact of the matter is I stayed on to find out what's going on because the humour for me in this show was no longer hilarious after episode 3.

Quote:
niche markets
Honestly, I'm probably the one who fits into a niche market. Since one as a fan of K-On I was interested in this for epics lols as to how this would turn into a complete rip-off of K-On. Secondly, I was also interested in war dramas *points to quote* so I expected them at first to go around acting like serious soldiers when they're not slacking off. Well, at least Meganekko Mugi takes charge when she's in a tank so that was enough to satisfy me. I was quickly trolled in episode 2 when I found out they were in peacetime and the unit is unimportant as well as lax. Though I stayed on after episode 2 because I found it humourous how they made a complete troll of the military. Afraid of rats, ghosts and owls?

How the hell do you expect to fight a freaking army with machine guns, mortars, artillery and tanks? And then I think after episode 3 or 4, I then stayed on for sake of speculah.

For the 10 percent military, I don't expect much. Just do it right in the tiniest possible way and keep it seperate from the slacking off moe.
Old 2010-02-23, 18:53   Link #1013
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
~snip~
All your words in italics are suggesting a bit of elitism. That's a somewhat disturbing mindset. Especially for me, because I'm hoping that fandamning is kept to a minimum. We should all be in this together.
Old 2010-02-23, 18:57   Link #1014
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
All your words in italics are suggesting a bit of elitism. That's a somewhat disturbing mindset. Especially for me, because I'm hoping that fandamning is kept to a minimum. We should all be in this together.
OK, point taken. I do not want to sound elitist, but in this show's case, I am getting increasingly annoyed, because of the lost potential, and even more because of the reason for this loss.
Old 2010-02-23, 18:59   Link #1015
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
OK, point taken. I do not want to sound elitist, but in this show's case, I am getting increasingly annoyed, because of the lost potential, and even more because of the reason for this loss.
Or maybe you wanted the show to do something that it never was meant to do.

Just accept it for what it's actually doing.
Old 2010-02-23, 18:59   Link #1016
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

You know, I like it when a show that establishes itself as ''light-hearted with a gradually revealing darker background'' from the start to remain consistent with that throughout its run, and not to suddenly jump into the ''darker background'' without at least some hints and preparation for the viewer(like what happened during this episode, and the previous one, and the one before that, and so on), to avoid making a jarring change in the direction of the show. But then again that's just me...
Old 2010-02-23, 19:03   Link #1017
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Or maybe you wanted the show to do something that it never was meant to do.

Just accept it for what it's actually doing.
According to my interpretation, this show was always meant to be maybe a 60 percent slice of life afforded by peace time and a 20 percent military and 20 percent apocalypse.

Except what's pissing me and probably many people off, is that this episode went back to it's usual formula (slice of life, few teases here and there) after wham episode 7.

And really, more people are interested in the fuel for speculah so for that crowd it was a let down.

Quote:
''darker background'' without at least some hints and preparation for the viewer
We've always had plenty of hints in regards to it with the question of the sea dying and in the episode before that there was a mention of something happening in Vingt that cause much death.
Old 2010-02-23, 19:05   Link #1018
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
Except what's pissing me and probably many people off, is that this episode leaned almost completely to the slice of life after wham episode 7.
The present day story in episode seven was also slice of life-ish. The show's not making a huge departure from what it was.
Old 2010-02-23, 19:08   Link #1019
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
The present day story in episode seven was also slice of life-ish. The show's not making a huge departure from what it was.
Other then, cleaning clothes, the festival and Kanata making some sort of doll it was more focused on Filicia then Kanata.
Old 2010-02-23, 19:11   Link #1020
Midonin
Last Engage

The festival started and ended the episode and served to make its own points on the state of the characters. It wasn't that different from Kanamemo. Most of the "serious" stuff occured en flashback.

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life