AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 47 46.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 28.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 15.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 6.93%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.99%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-27, 20:40   Link #101
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruromania View Post
I kind of preferred 2002's intermingling of all the arcs...I'd rather half the series be happy, cheerful, and funny and move on to the real plotline the second half, but this looks like it might turn out to be silliness, drama repeat 5x...
Actually it's the other way around. 2002 version (Toei) is the one that went "modular" (ie girl after girl) and 2006 (Kyoani) is the one which is going for the interweaved approach. Most of the comedy are already used up (except for a few Shiori querks about her fascination with ice-cream) in the previous 7 episodes for all the girls, so it's just going to be drama after drama from now on pretty much.
Old 2006-11-27, 20:52   Link #102
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

What can I say, but that there should be points above ten to award this episode. A million times better way of revelation than in the Toei version. KyoAni has now put us in a helpless situation where we know something terrible is coming but we cant do nething but watch. I think I have an idea of how Yuichi will be feeling in the next few episodes.

Neway, right now all we can do is to wait for a miracle from KyoAni if they decide to change the story.

P>S..oh..oh..will they show Makoto's(real) face. She gave me an impression of Misuzu although hair was shorter and skirt was longer.
Old 2006-11-27, 21:29   Link #103
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Lot of very sweet moments in ep 8 .... (even Nayuki got a priceless "oooooh, Neko!" moment). Although I thought the way they handled the revelations in this episode worked very well (much better than 2002) --- it is still a pretty jarring moment to be suddenly ripped from the world of the mundane into the world of japanese culture where the world of legend and reality are firmly intermixed. Even after multiple years of studying the culture of japan and the beliefs of shinto, I can see how it is simply going to be a "wtf?" for many American/European viewers.
Old 2006-11-27, 21:49   Link #104
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Most of the comedy are already used up (except for a few Shiori querks about her fascination with ice-cream) in the previous 7 episodes for all the girls, so it's just going to be drama after drama from now on pretty much.

I sure hope that wouldn't be the case, though. At least, I hope KyoAni will insert "winding-down periods" of at least half an episode each, between each girl's arcs. Otherwise, it'll feel awfully similar to 2k2's "one tragedy after another" methodology. That can't be good, no?

I don't know if I'm making sense here. Am I?

EDIT: And does anyone realize they've not yet included Nayuki's fondness for ichigo sundaes? Yup, there's plenty more content for comedy yet.

Wait a minute. Did I just give away a spoiler there? Well then, in AoMM's immortal words, OH SHI-
Old 2006-11-28, 04:24   Link #105
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Wait a minute. Did I just give away a spoiler there? Well then, in AoMM's immortal words, OH SHI-
Edit button has more uses than posing an OH SHI- comment.... same goes to houkoholic - how about keeping things that we do not know about the girls out of the ep8 thread ? Why the hell i have to be spoiled about things the girls like in ep8 thread if we have no knowlidge about those things up untill ep8 ? If you want to talk about them move your behind to discussion for experienced kanonites or someplace else more appropriate.
Old 2006-11-28, 04:33   Link #106
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

ZOMG me saying Shiori liking ice-cream is a massive spoiler that would ruin the experience!

Seriously you need to be really picky to even be concerned with something like this. Not to mention that it was shown already that Shiori has an unhealthy obession with sweets/confectionary when she ran into Ayu and Yuuichi before and both of them commented on her unusally huge purchase. Plus this is just a character trait that is included in her character biography and in no way does it spoils her story in any way.
Old 2006-11-28, 04:53   Link #107
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
ZOMG me saying Shiori liking ice-cream is a massive spoiler that would ruin the experience!

Seriously you need to be really picky to even be concerned with something like this. Not to mention that it was shown already that Shiori has an unhealthy obession with sweets/confectionary when she ran into Ayu and Yuuichi before and both of them commented on her unusally huge purchase. Plus this is just a character trait that is included in her character biography and in no way does it spoils her story in any way.
Big or small, it is still a spoiler i can do without. Unhealthy obsesion? She bought a lot of something because she does not go out of house often as she said herself (most likely due to her sickness). And i have allready been spoiled about the girl he chose in the previous kanon due to the lack of spoiler tags, so believe me i have had my fill of spoilers for this show, and anything more, big or small, is going over the top of this boiling pot. Character biography ? Sorry, can't read Japaneese. >>This information has nothing to do in ep8 thread<<. Correct me if im wrong with this statement.

Last edited by Skyfall; 2006-11-28 at 12:21.
Old 2006-11-28, 11:58   Link #108
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Lot of very sweet moments in ep 8 .... (even Nayuki got a priceless "oooooh, Neko!" moment). Although I thought the way they handled the revelations in this episode worked very well (much better than 2002) --- it is still a pretty jarring moment to be suddenly ripped from the world of the mundane into the world of japanese culture where the world of legend and reality are firmly intermixed. Even after multiple years of studying the culture of japan and the beliefs of shinto, I can see how it is simply going to be a "wtf?" for many American/European viewers.
Not to mention Yuiichi...
Old 2006-11-28, 13:06   Link #109
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Although I thought the way they handled the revelations in this episode worked very well (much better than 2002)
Generally I'd agree, but I would have to disagree in Makoto's specific case. I much preferred how it was introduced in the original version:

Spoiler for Original version, just in case:

But yeah, apart from that one thing, I'm definitely liking the new version more
Old 2006-11-28, 14:40   Link #110
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Big or small, it is still a spoiler i can do without.
Like I said, it's NOT a spoiler. It's viewable on the official site.

Quote:
Character biography ? Sorry, can't read Japaneese.
That's your problem, not mine. And I state again, it is stated specifically in her biography on the official page. If Kyoani/Key is open enough to put it in her biography/character introduction, I do not consider it a spoiler.

Quote:
>>This information has nothing to do in ep8 thread<<. Correct me if im wrong with this statement.
Irrelevant, because I just proved it's not a spoiler and it is publicly published information thus I was not spoiling anything so I see no reason why I can't bring this piece of information up.
Old 2006-11-28, 14:53   Link #111
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Irrelevant, because I just proved it's not a spoiler and it is publicly published information thus I was not spoiling anything so I see no reason why I can't bring this piece of information up.
What relavance does the said information has with episode 8? I do not want to read about things that have yet to happen in ep8 discussion thread. And since this little *discussion* of ours is not exactly adding anything productive to the thread i think it's about time to end it >.<
Old 2006-11-28, 19:16   Link #112
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity View Post
Generally I'd agree, but I would have to disagree in Makoto's specific case. I much preferred how it was introduced in the original version:

Spoiler for Original version, just in case:

But yeah, apart from that one thing, I'm definitely liking the new version more
But, in Makoto's case, we can be all angsty now until her arc resolves. There wasn't any time for that in the Toei version imo.
Old 2006-11-28, 22:23   Link #113
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

I'm not disputing that fact. Sure, we've got double the episodes this time around, which is sweet, I just preferred the way they introduced Makoto's revelation in the Toei version. That's my only gripe though, everything else is more or less perfect
Old 2006-11-28, 22:59   Link #114
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

EDIT: Bah, forget it, I posted this in a moment of irritation...
Old 2006-11-29, 13:00   Link #115
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't think it is too much to ask that a any point that has not been revealed in the storyline be kept out of the episode discussion threads. Period.
Old 2006-11-30, 02:44   Link #116
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
What relavance does the said information has with episode 8? I do not want to read about things that have yet to happen in ep8 discussion thread. And since this little *discussion* of ours is not exactly adding anything productive to the thread i think it's about time to end it >.<
Yes it has no direct relevance to episode 8, but you were originally complaining that I was spoiling the story/character by stating this piece of information, and I'm addressing this and only this point. The information I provided is not considered to be a spoiling piece of information by the original authors as it is clearly listed in the character biography, and that is the fact here and that in no way was my original post "spoiling" the story/character.

Quote:
I don't think it is too much to ask that a any point that has not been revealed in the storyline be kept out of the episode discussion threads. Period.
I agree. But again the information I provided is not spoiler at all by the very reason I've stated. The information I provided is similiar to the short summary on the back of a novel, it's free for eveyone to see and if you didn't read it and I somehow told you about a piece of information that is clearly in that summary but somehow you haven't reached that part of the book yet, do you blame me for "spoiling" the story when even the authors considers it safe to print in the summary? This is the issue here.
Old 2006-11-30, 04:04   Link #117
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I can understand the irritation over the "ice cream comment" and I can also understand houkoholic's stance.

So how about a compromise so that this thread stays friendly? If the character background info is not freely available on the TBS Kanon 2006 character or story pages or not seen in a current or past Kanon 2006 episode then we don't mention it or at least use spoiler tags.
Old 2007-05-19, 04:17   Link #118
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I could have been watching Darker Than Black, but I chose to stick it out with another one of these re-reviews of Kanon (Though sometimes I wonder if it's worth it, not because of the show, but for other reasons):

Spoiler:

Plot/Character: 3/5. Although the plot focuses entirely on Makoto this episode and it seems like they are rushing the relationship and plot points to make up for lost time during the pranks part, it nonetheless gets the job done decently. Things aren't looking good as Makoto continues to slip away physically and mentally and well....

Animation: 4/5. Better than last episode. That's it really.

Voice Acting: 3.5/5. Yuuichi was alright if a bit irritating early on and Makoto almost, almost made me cry a little during her scene in bed with Yuuichi. Still we didn't here much from the other girls, Mai wasn't so good and Shiori didn't make the appearance she had made since the last episode. Makoto carried the episode in this department.

Music: 4/5. Only because the tracks jumped around quite a bit and even skipped at one point.

3+4+3.5+4=7.25 rounded down to Seven out of Ten again. The series has been better for the last couple episodes. Let's hope to see it continue. With this my reviews have reached a third of the series episodes. A milestone that is sure to be reviled by those who feel I should have shut my mouth about the series a long time ago.
Closed Thread