AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2013-10-28, 21:14   Link #501
Haruhara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
...And one guy here who watched the movie (aka me) considers it one of the most disgustingly horrid things he has ever witnessed..
I feel the same way about the events that happened, but I like the fact that they happened in the movie.

It's been a long time since I felt so shocked and disturbed by a character's actions. It gave me a real sense of horror, and left me feeling cold and empty inside and needing someone to talk to about it. I love it.

Personally I think the ending justifies the movie, without it I don't think it would be a story that needed to be told.

The worst part for me is not knowing if the story will continue. I held my breath after the final scene hoping for some announcement of another movie, but it never came. As much as I like the twist, I don't want it to end like this.
Haruhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-28, 21:30   Link #502
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruhara View Post
The worst part for me is not knowing if the story will continue. I held my breath after the final scene hoping for some announcement of another movie, but it never came. As much as I like the twist, I don't want it to end like this.
Yeah me too. They really need to make a Season 2 out of this. They can't end it like that.

On the other hand if there is one positive I can say about the movie, its the "advancement" of character relationships. (shipping goggles time)

I really like the fact that Sayaka is showing signs that she is over Kamijou. Maybe Kyouko x Sayaka can be a reality now. Though personally, my personal OTP is Kyouko/Mami due to their past. Still, the movie introduced or perhaps canonized Charlotte/Mami as an alternative. And I'm liking it. So yeah. ^^

As for my main ship...

I'm having mixed feelings about the development on the movie. On one hand, it seemed to intensify and underscore the feelings between them particularly Homura's. It also makes the pairing more likely now that Madoka is not an abstract concept. But, the movie also put them in some sort of opposite sides...

It does give some nice possibility though.

I love and ship Homura and Madoka to death (and beyond). But, even I know that their relationship is far from healthy and balanced. In every timeline shown, either Madoka or Homura eclipse their partner with the other having no way to catch up.

In the last timeline, Homura dominates through her timeloops and the experiences she has gained there. Beside that, there is no way Homura's feelings will be understood by Madoka since much of its context is scattered in different loops which Madoka has no recollection.

Then, due to Madoka's wish, Homura's feeling finally reached. But, also due to it. Madoka was erased from existence. She become a higher tier being making the imbalance go the opposite way. I think even if they managed to actually form a relationship, it will be horribly unhealthy but then again that's just the way I feel with near omniscient beings relationship with mortals. (Not that there is much way for this to happen since Homura needs to die to get a meeting with Madoka.)

Anyway, with the movie and Akuma! Homura. There arise the chance that there will actually be an equal partnership between my OTP. That and Goddess! Madoka x Akuma! Homura is really really nice aesthetic wise.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-28, 22:01   Link #503
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Honestly, as much as I love the main cast of Madoka Magica, they never received much character development in the original TV series.

They became more or less confident. They became more or less hopeful. They became more or less knowledgeable.

But they never truly changed a lot. Most of their core issues remained.

Homura never really accepted Madoka's self-sacrificing heroism, and this movie clearly proves it. Now if there's a continuation, Homura's issues with Madoka may well become front and center.

Sayaka was heroic, but never really tried to talk things out with the people she had issues with. Now she has a chance to. Plus, I think it's a good sign that she went from willing to kill Kyouko to being the one to save Homura. That's a little less Punisher, and a little more Superman, and I'm glad to see that myself.

Madoka never really addressed Homura's feelings for her. Not comprehensively. Now she may well have to if she's ever to regain her previous ascended state. There's a lot of growth potential there, both characterization-wise and relationship-wise.

We didn't get to see much of Kyouko outside of her playing the villain. Now we'll get to see more of Kyouko as a protagonist.

Mami was a very well-wrote and well-defined character, but she also had little screen-time overall. There's still loads that can be done with her character.

Honestly, I'm excited. I'm excited that Sayaka is getting out from under the yoke of Urobuchi. I'm excited that Homura/Madoka can actually go somewhere interesting now.

And hey - Akemi Homura may now become the most prominent yandere of all-time. There's loads of great kuuderes, but I can't think of many great yanderes. Homura could really revitalize the yandere character type.

But of course, this all depends on SHAFT going somewhere with the story beyond this movie. Because yes, this isn't as good a place to end the narrative as the ending of the TV anime was.
Old 2013-10-28, 22:20   Link #504
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

As horrifying and sad as this movie ended, I have to say it makes sense. I was afraid the ending wouldn't seem appropriate, and like I said, I have to say it does.

I now have to wonder if Gen is more like Hideaki Anno than anyone thought, and this might be a rather blunt attack on the otaku lifestyle. Think about Madoka representing the moe ideal, and Homura being a flaming otaku. Also of course recall the anti-NEET message of Gargantia, heh.

But what seems saddest to me is how Homura seems to have un-learned all she did by the end of the TV series. (Unless that actually takes place AFTER all this...)
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-28, 22:53   Link #505
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post

But what seems saddest to me is how Homura seems to have un-learned all she did by the end of the TV series. (Unless that actually takes place AFTER all this...)
My own take is that Homura was never entirely content with what Madoka did in Episode 12. Perhaps that's why this movie ending, at least just on paper, doesn't bother me as much as it does some.

I think that Homura rolled with what Madoka did in Episode 12. Homura probably took some comfort in knowing that at least Madoka made a conscientious decision with full knowledge of the Puella Magi system. Homura probably admired Madoka for making a wish like that.

But this was never what Homura really wanted. In fact, it wasn't even close. Homura's preference was always to keep Madoka a normal human girl who could enjoy a normal, happy human life. I don't think that preference ever went away, Homura simply made the best out of what happened in Episode 12. What other practical choice did she have?

Well, now Homura's given a chance to get what she really wants, and she grabs it. Makes sense to me.
Old 2013-10-28, 23:04   Link #506
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayaka's sandbag View Post
Soooooo, not trying to be an arse or anything, just curious but what is it about Homu's change that you think detracts that much from the film?
Rather than detracting from the film, I feel it detracts from the series. In that as far as the end to this movie goes, the TV-series finale for all intents and purposes might as well never have happened at all. And considering my wholehearted adoration of how perfectly the show wrapped everything up in a manner that made perfect sense given what we knew by that point, the fact that this movie essentially retcons it out of existence with the twist that "Homura turns into a witch/Satan and somehow manages to overpower and usurp Madoka and throws Madoka's entire system into a fire and replaces it with... something which we at this time know nothing about" really does not sit right with me at all. And since that is ultimately what this entire movie was leading up to, this fact makes the movie as a whole rather impossible to like for me, even if I did find it pretty interesting until that happened.

Oh, and maybe it's just my memory being fuzzy due to most of the finer details of the ending being replaced with either "WHY." or "RAGE." or various comparisons to other works (Incidentally, One More Day. That's another thing this ending brings to mind) but... How did Homura manage to overpower the being who had defeated every single witch in all of history single-handedly anyway? In a previous timeline Madoka managed to destroy the single most powerful witch ever with one shot, for goodness' sake. And this Madoka was even stronger than that Madoka.
Old 2013-10-28, 23:25   Link #507
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm

I was going to try to explain why Homura did what she did, but I think I'll just post these..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__q9fsZa5vk

Spoiler for Movie:
daimonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-28, 23:38   Link #508
zato_1one

Quote:
How did Homura manage to overpower the being who had defeated every single witch in all of history single-handedly anyway? In a previous timeline Madoka managed to destroy the single most powerful witch ever with one shot, for goodness' sake. And this Madoka was even stronger than that Madoka.
The easiest explanation is that Madoka was in the most vulnerable state. She wasn't in fighting mode and didn't expect that Homura would do that. It was a surprised attack. This happens a lot in many fighting series. But it mostly happens to the villains due to their cocky nature which always look down on protagonist and drop their guard.
Old 2013-10-28, 23:48   Link #509
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Homura manage to overpower the being who had defeated every single witch in all of history single-handedly anyway? In a previous timeline Madoka managed to destroy the single most powerful witch ever with one shot, for goodness' sake. And this Madoka was even stronger than that Madoka.
Homura isn't a witch. She's neither witch, nor magical girl. She became god-like like Madoka. Since Madoka's power is meant to defeat witches, maybe they don't even work on something that isn't witch. If that's the case, then it's to be expected she wouldn't be able to do anything against Homura, who isn't a witch.
Old 2013-10-28, 23:52   Link #510
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Rather than detracting from the film, I feel it detracts from the series. In that as far as the end to this movie goes, the TV-series finale for all intents and purposes might as well never have happened at all.
That's one way to look at it. To me this movie, rather than retconning the TV ending, is more of a continuation. We see the logical conclusion of Homura's behaviour, we see more of Kyoko and Sayaka's relationship, etc. Not to mention some more of QB, which even you must admit is a dangling thread the series left behind.

Come to think of it, why did Homura, who is normally so tight-lipped, tell the truth to QB? That's what's odd to me.

BTW, can someone elaborate on the Kyoko/Sayaka scene? I've heard great things.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 00:04   Link #511
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Homura isn't a witch. She's neither witch, nor magical girl. She became god-like like Madoka. Since Madoka's power is meant to defeat witches, maybe they don't even work on something that isn't witch. If that's the case, then it's to be expected she wouldn't be able to do anything against Homura, who isn't a witch.
What is Sayaka then? I find her role in the movie to be rather strange.
Old 2013-10-29, 00:15   Link #512
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
What is Sayaka then? I find her role in the movie to be rather strange.
Dues ex machina? $hinbo's proxy?

In the movie Sayaka is already dead, of course. How did she get inside QB's barrier, I'm not sure, but she's not the only one. Nagisa is another dead magical girl that got stuck in the barrier and at some point a lot of other dead magical girls appear as well. All the girls that Madoka collected while she was working as Madokami. Maybe Madoka keeps their souls with her all the time, so when she herself got stuck in QB's barrier, all the dead girls ended there as well.
Old 2013-10-29, 00:22   Link #513
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post

In the movie Sayaka is already dead, of course. How did she get inside QB's barrier, I'm not sure, but she's not the only one. Nagisa is another dead magical girl that got stuck in the barrier and at some point a lot of other dead magical girls appear as well. All the girls that Madoka collected while she was working as Madokami. Maybe Madoka keeps all their souls with her all the time, so when she herself got stuck in QB's barrier, all the dead girls ended there as well.
That makes sense to me.

The alternative explanation is that this is a "new" Sayaka created purely out of Homura's memories of the real/original Sayaka. But honestly, I'd rather not think that, so I'll go with your idea as long as it's plausible.
Old 2013-10-29, 02:10   Link #514
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Will someone please tell these people why Madoka already had an ending?

Like, if you enjoy Rebellion on a thematic level or you're just okay with how it obviously retcons things to be extra grimdark, that's fine. That's your prerogative and more power to you, man. But you've got to be fucking kidding yourself if you honestly think the TV show ended on a desperate cliffhanger and actually NEEDED this shit.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 02:35   Link #515
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
That's one way to look at it. To me this movie, rather than retconning the TV ending, is more of a continuation. We see the logical conclusion of Homura's behaviour, we see more of Kyoko and Sayaka's relationship, etc. Not to mention some more of QB, which even you must admit is a dangling thread the series left behind.
...Rather than retconning the TV ending? Homura REWROTE THE ENTIRE FREAKING UNIVERSE AND REMOVED ANY POWER MADOKA MAY HAVE HAD, ALSO NEGATING ANY ACTIONS SHE MAY HAVE HAD AND (presumably) TOOK AWAY ANY REASONS SHE MAY HAVE DONE THOSE ACTIONS TO BEGIN WITH. It doesn't get much more "retconning the TV ending" than that. As for Kyubey, no, I do not feel that that was a dangling thread the TV-series left behind, because even though Kyubey was basically the Big Bad of the show, the focus was never "We must defeat Kyubey!" And I never seem to recall anyone particularly saying anything that the resolution to the show left anything unresolved in terms to his character either... Well aside from the people who wanted it to involve him suffering somehow, in which case this movie would probably be a thing of beauty to them because if there was one thing I got out of that final scene, it was that Kyubey was indeed suffering. Oh sure, now we see people all over the place saying that telling Kyubey about the witch-system that Madoka erased was a terrible idea... but I never saw anyone bring this point up before this movie came out, and I don't exactly see "Homura is droven into the depths of despair and turns into Satan" to be a particularly logical outcome of her telling him about it either.
Old 2013-10-29, 02:36   Link #516
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun
And you were the one talking about an "awful lot of Ifs and Maybes."
Well, we KNOW she takes them to another universe. And, almost by definition, that universe has different laws of physics because Madoka can take people there like it ain't no thang post-mortem. :P But that's my personal conjecture. We can pretty much take for granted it's not a lotus eater machine witch barrier, though, because otherwise Goddess Madoka is just Super-Gretchen and that's not thematically appropriate on any level.

Quote:
I doubt Madoka's omniscient. Certainly Homura's actions here took her by surprise big time. As for a world that is No-Strings-Attached-Actually-Perfect... well, this is Urobuchi we're talking about so it's pretty unlikely.
The 'perfect heaven' thing's just my own personal fanon. :P As for being omniscient, well... She's everywhere and "Sees all universes that ever were, and ever will be", and exists in every moment of time.

She pretty much HAS to be omniscient, and her being caught by surprise in this movie at all is kind of a plot hole/retcon.

Quote:
If Madokami is supposedly all-knowing, then how did she not foresee the events of this movie, and presumably find a way to prevent them from happening if she didn't want them to happen?

I see only two real possibilities...

1) Madokami is not all-knowing, and hence some here have overestimated (perhaps even greatly overestimated) her abilities/powers. Homura genuinely surprised her.

2) Madokami wanted Homura to do this, and hence allowed it to happen.
Or God-Homura is like....double transcendent. Since she's basically already Double God. Madoka manipulates Metaphysics, Homura governs Pataphysics.

Or it's just a plothole/retcon. Because if Madokami can see all universes that WILL be, she should've already seem Homuverse.

Quote:
I doubt that Madokami was all-knowing, but in fairness to AuraTwilight, I can imagine interpretations that would make that idea possible at least.
To be fair to me, Madokami literally said she was. :P If she turns out not to be, it's a blatant retcon. You can't even really use "Madoka overestimated herself" because the only evidence to support that comes from an artificially induced sequel movie that already seems to retcon the original anime's epilogue (whether literally, in Homura's characterization, or whatever grievance one might raise, valid or otherwise).

Quote:
What isn't possible is for Madokami to be all-knowing and truly against what Homura did in this movie. The idea that Madoka was this all-knowing God-like entity and that she wanted to stay that way, simply doesn't fly given the events of this movie. She either was never that entity to begin with (she was something cosmic, sure, but much smaller scale - think Marvel Comic's Galactus), or she was, but she wanted Homura to do what she did.

In the latter case, perhaps Madoka was secretly unhappy with the weight of the Puella Magi world on her shoulders.
What if Homura never escaped her dream barrier? Maybe the entire movie from beginning to end is Homura's fantasy and she just went deeper down the rabbit hole?

(This is why you never invoke dream world shenanigans ever)
Old 2013-10-29, 02:55   Link #517
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
...Rather than retconning the TV ending? Homura REWROTE THE ENTIRE FREAKING UNIVERSE AND REMOVED ANY POWER MADOKA MAY HAVE HAD, ALSO NEGATING ANY ACTIONS SHE MAY HAVE HAD AND (presumably) TOOK AWAY ANY REASONS SHE MAY HAVE DONE THOSE ACTIONS TO BEGIN WITH. It doesn't get much more "retconning the TV ending" than that.
... Are you aware of what a retcon is? One More Day, the most infamous Spider man stories ever, is a retcon. I can't really consider this a retcon, we have no idea where this incident will lead, since the ending is so open. The fact that Madoka is shown breaking free, even temporarily, that Homura acknowledges that they'll end up as enemies, a bunch of stuff really.

Quote:
As for Kyubey, no, I do not feel that that was a dangling thread the TV-series left behind, because even though Kyubey was basically the Big Bad of the show, the focus was never "We must defeat Kyubey!"
Your point? What was done about QB in the end? Nothing at all. That's a dangling thread. It's exactly like what Urobuchi did in PSycho-Pass actually.

Quote:
Oh sure, now we see people all over the place saying that telling Kyubey about the witch-system that Madoka erased was a terrible idea... but I never saw anyone bring this point up before this movie came out,
Again, what's your point? Just because no one, as far as you are aware brought it up, it's not a valid point?

Quote:
and I don't exactly see "Homura is droven into the depths of despair and turns into Satan" to be a particularly logical outcome of her telling him about it either.
I never said that either. I said, Homura's action are a logical conclusion of the attitude she had for the whole show.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 03:07   Link #518
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Well, we KNOW she takes them to another universe.
We know that she collects them, but we don't know what she does with them. Furthermore, this movie suggests that she keeps them with her at all times, not unlike how Homura used to keep guns inside her shield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Or it's just a plothole/retcon. Because if Madokami can see all universes that WILL be, she should've already seem Homuverse.
It's probably a retcon, since that part of the movie was $hinbo's idea anyway. At that point I doubt Urobuchi cared if it was perfectly consistent with tv the series. After all, he won't write for this franchise anymore...
Old 2013-10-29, 03:08   Link #519
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
As for Kyubey, no, I do not feel that that was a dangling thread the TV-series left behind, because even though Kyubey was basically the Big Bad of the show, the focus was never "We must defeat Kyubey!" And I never seem to recall anyone particularly saying anything that the resolution to the show left anything unresolved in terms to his character either...
There are years worth of speculation and discussion in this forum alone. Even I hit on a few of the themes touched upon in the movie. Here's my speculation after episode 10, about what Homura needed to do to "win".

Theories about what can happen in Madoka are all over the place. Chances are quite good that someone has suggested what will happen next and they'd be correct.

I wish people would knock off the overreactions. It's just a damn movie.
Old 2013-10-29, 03:15   Link #520
Hachiko
The Akita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I wish people would knock off the overreactions. It's just a damn movie.
This. It got people talking though. The movie did its job.

Tags
madoka