AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-06-29, 14:18   Link #21
Solafighter
Hige

What's your Profession?

Pilot.

Your Current Status.

Flying for Lufthansa.

What made you choose it?

Aviation is my life.

Are you happy with it?

Heck yeah.

How do you see yourself in the future?

Still flying above the weather, seeing the sun every day. Maybe going to be an instructor.
Old 2012-06-29, 14:42   Link #22
Edijs
Eddy

Send a message via MSN to Edijs
What's your Profession?

Chef

Your Current Status.

Studing Chef at school, soon be over, little more still.

What made you choose it?

My friends, becouse im talantive.
Are you happy with it?

Hell Yea

I have long way to go, but i hope someday own my own restourants
Edijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 15:29   Link #23
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
What's Your Profession?

Freelance Writer/Creative Writer

Your Current Status

Working at a book store part time/Volunteering at art conventions

What Made You Choose It?

I grew up my whole life loving to write and people have always encouraged me to pursue a profession in the field.

How Do You See Yourself in the Future?

I'm still a little doubtful but I want to be a novelist or a writing professor at a college or a university.
Old 2012-06-29, 15:34   Link #24
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus View Post
Dang, I was just thinking this when I saw the thread name.
Old 2012-06-30, 02:52   Link #25
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
What's your Profession/your planned course to take up in college?
In the immediate future, Aged Care. After that Nursing or perhaps something in Pathology/Hematology.
Your Current Status.
Student.
What made you choose it?
I'm kind of sick of I.T., which I have been doing for the last 10 years or so. Also due to the amount of time I spent in Hospital I came to enjoy the environment sort of, and I thought the nurses did good work, nd since there is a shortage of nurses in Australia I decided to try and go for it.
Are you happy with it?
Dunno yet, I'm anxious about various future possibilities though, such as screwing up the course, or being overwhelmed.
Hopefully working as a nurse! Or in a laboratory somewhere playing with blood.
Good luck I hope you'll be a successful nurse!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 06:06   Link #26
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

What's your Profession/your planned course to take up in college??

Finished undergrad economics last year. Now finishing up my law degree, and completing it within another 12 months if all goes well.

Your Current Status.?

Full-time student, part-time hikkomori.

What made you choose it??

Always like economics since high school. As for law, I applied on a whim and got into the program so I took it.

I'm a hikkomori by choice.

Are you happy with it??

Economics was fun and enjoyable. Currently plodding along for law and hoping not to fail any subjects. Simply passing won't be enough to get into the profession of course, but I don't really intend to practise anyway.

No idea if I'm happy being a hikkomori because the lifestyle plays tricks on my mind and clouds my objective judgment.

I actually have no idea at this point because I don't even know which country I'll be in next year due to immigration/visa issues with the country I'm staying in. I could be anywhere doing anything.

I'll probably be a hikkomori forever.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 08:44   Link #27
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

What's your Profession?

Masochist/Boob Monster/Leg worshipper

Your Current Status.

Performing a ritual to permanently seal the lolitron for a millenia

What made you choose it?

I love girls, because I'm hentai and I know it.

Are you happy with it?

Boobies! Legs! ZZZZETTAI RYOUIKI oh step on me, girls!

Hugh Heffner Ver 2.0

*runs*
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 15:04   Link #28
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Electrical Engineering with focus in Digital Controls and Software
Minor in Astrophysics... yeah
Your Current Status.
Multiple revenue streams...
Software, network admin, math/science tutoring, systems design, language localization. To me, engineering (== solving problems) is a way of life, not just a job.
What made you choose it?
When I was a kid - Scotty and Spock in Star Trek. They *solved* problems, they rigged solutions, making things work, taking things apart to see how they worked - this fascinates me.
Are you happy with it?
Engineering is on a massive decline in the US... this is sad. However, the skills I have are applicable whether I'm remodeling my house, landscaping, flipping burgers, tutoring. Interestingly, being able to think independently is actually a negative with more and more corporations.
Basically I'm running my own free lance consulting with the business mantra "We solve problems. We also walk dogs..."
Old 2012-07-01, 20:22   Link #29
Who

Right now I work as a receptionist/waiter. I study Asian Studies (International Studies/Relations) and Business.

Your Current Status.

Dying in this heat? Otherwise, student

What made you choose it?

It just seemed cool to me at the time; Asian history/politics/intellectual trends interested me more than other things.

Are you happy with it?

Yes and no. I love learning everything there is about it, from contemporary Hallyu culture to the formation of ancient dialects in South Asia to stratagems behind the Mongol conquests; etc, but it's really not practical in comparison to my intended major heading into college, which was biology. On top of that, because business was a last minute addition, finding a job has been extremely hard on me. Employers look at my resume and go, "pfffffttttt, Asian Studies? Another liberal arts hippie bullshit major? Yeah right. Don't waste my time." I've actually had a potential employer tell me that Asian Studies is not a practical major in comparison to what other applicants brought in. On top of that, I've had personal problems my first two years of college, so that deeply impacted my GPA and any potential volunteer work/internships and community service that I could've done to add depth to my experience.

I really don't know. First and foremost, I intend on graduating, but because cash isn't easy to come by, I'm not sure if I can afford grad school in the immediate future. I'm going to try and see if I can get research internships with some of the professors in my department and networking a lot with the career center.
I've also toyed with the idea of earning enough money and going back to complete biology and working in a lab, but that's a longshot.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 21:17   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh... they'll be regretting that when all the main business is in Asia and Mandarin or Japanese is necessary or they're fatally handicapped in negotiations.
Old 2012-07-01, 21:44   Link #31
word sux

Automotive Technician / Chef

Your Current Status.

overworked and underpaid auto tech by day and chef by night

Are you happy with it?

kinda but I am consider going to college

I have no idea its hard to tell I have 2 good careers laid out in front of me yet I might choose a 3rd path.

Last edited by word sux; 2012-07-01 at 21:59.
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 21:53   Link #32
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh... they'll be regretting that when all the main business is in Asia and Mandarin or Japanese is necessary or they're fatally handicapped in negotiations.
I've actually had an argument with my parents about which Asian language to specialize in to accompany my Korean. I preferred Japanese, but they had the foresight to argue their point about learning Chinese (this was after they finally gave in to a year long battle about switching from bio, since they wouldn't have the prized firstborn Asian doctor son in the family).

But... as it is, I have Japanese and Korean and will start Mandarin in the fall. I expect that to be my main selling point, since it allows me to be pretty versatile in all three main Oriental regions.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 07:36   Link #33
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Academic physician (undecided specialization at this point).

Your Current Status.
Student.

What made you choose it?
What is the meaning of a career? To some, it's a way to make money. To others, it's a way of life. To me, it is a means with which one can make a positive impact on the world. I see three general categories for how professions can have a positive impact:

1) Helping people/society here and now. (Nearly all jobs fit this role)
2) Indirectly helping people/society through others by teaching and instructing.
3) Helping many people in the future through research and development.

You maximize your impact by engaging in more than one category. I could think of many professions that hit on two of those categories, but medicine was the only one that would make all three a possibility and that would play to by interests and strengths.

Are you happy with it?
Since I'm straddling two fields (scientific research and clinical medicine), the answer is yes and no.

Yes for science. It has taken me many years, but I've finally reached the point where I know enough to do useful things, and where I can teach others. One is constantly learning in this field (ideally) and it's a bit of a struggle to always remain current, but it's rewarding to reach this point. Prior to this point, I was not particularly happy.

No for medicine, but this is because I'm new to it. I expect it to follow the same trend as science: there's a lot of knowledge to cover and new things to learn, and during this period I will constantly feel useless and unknowledgeable. In a few years I will not have gained mastery of anything, but I will at least have a solid foundation to work off of and to help others with.

I'd imagine this to be a truth for all fields, though. Nobody likes to feel that they don't know anything, or that they can't function autonomously in their work. The fields of science and medicine have a longer period of delayed gratification than many other fields, it seems, and the training is much less social in nature.

Academic medical center, spending most time with patients, part time collaborating with researchers, and part time teaching medical students, residents, and/or graduate students.
Old 2012-07-07, 10:57   Link #34
Domonkazu

IT engineer (c, c#, c++, java, asm, vhdl)

Your Current Status.
assistant in nearby University

What made you choose it?
the only job I found so far

Are you happy with it?
kinda boring but I'll stick for another half year

most likely I'm going back to my homeland and take over my father business with my brothers, it's a small jewelry manufacturer our machinery are mainly from Italy and Germany, probably I need to learn Italian in near future and improve my mandarin, since I already speak German fluently.
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 11:42   Link #35
csuree
The Most Hated™

current profession: Electrical engineering focus on electrical systems/networks
planned course: Automotive engineering, (if i'd had the chance then astrophysics), i'd like to learn web-programming too(java, php, mysql) and i'm also a writer though it is more like a hobby(i have a novel in the process of production)

Your Current Status.

My current status is Electrical engineer at Samsung, more precisely, my responsibilites are the manuals, cables, leaflets packed inside the box for monitors and and tv's, and recently i got a new responsibility: verifying the software they upload in monitors and tv's.

What made you choose it?

At college i went with the flow, i thought becoming an engineer in an electrical field would almost guarantee me a good job/salary. After i graduated i found out that this was almost a delusion and lie(the professors said the same...good certain job...well now i think screw it..I wasted 4 years in college). after months of painstaking searching i found a decent job but recently the company had gone almost bankrupt and my luck is that i left the place 2 months prior to this event.
My current job i found it in 3 hours on a Monday (from 8am-11am) morning on the internet and the next day i was going to the interview, and couple of days later i was hired.

Are you happy with it?

With my current job I'm happy and not also( happy because it is not so tiring as my last job; but unhappy because of the salary.....350-400$ for an engineering job).
I will be even happier if i take on & finish automotive engineering cause in Europe you certainly can find a good job (at current moment i can find on local job sites 7-10 jobs requring these kind of studies) , I love cars, and it is better paid than my current place.

How do i see myself in the future?... Well I'd like to be involved in a serious car project at a well known car manufacturer, or to have my own tuning garage. and I'd like to learn Japanese, Spanish and German; I'd also like to publish my novel at some point, and part-time or as hobby to work at an astronomical observatory.
Old 2012-07-07, 15:41   Link #36
Krytonis
Koomi-kun~
*Graphic Designer

Still in Senior School (Highschool). But for later in Sixth Form, I'm thinking of taking Maths, Science, Economics, and something to do with Law. I'm thinking of aiming for these carriers when I get older: Designer (Graphics), Business Owner or Business Inheriter and a Lawyer for a certain company (probably Samsung)

Your Current Status.
Student

What made you choose it?
Personal Experience got me into it (Graphics Designer)
Seen how my dad works (Lawyer)
Money (Business Owner)

Are you happy with it?
Dunno, I'll see when I get older

I'm quite worried at the moment. I really need to bring my grades up. Especially English. Maths I've been getting A's and A*'s. So I'll be fine with them. I'm average with Science subjects (Physics, Chem and Bio). Geography I seem to be okay. PE GCSE, bad marks on my exams but really easy subjects. (It's because the grade boundaries are really close together. From a D to an A is probably about 7 mark difference!) Business Studies, I always get As and A*'s on my tests. I should be fine with them. I still don't feel confident..
Old 2012-07-08, 15:56   Link #37
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
During College?
Genetics

Current
comfort blankies (insurance and financial products) for adults
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Genetics?! The would have been so cool!!!!
got fired after one month
2 years later the company owner was indicted for fraud

Future plan: in my early 50s i will run for public office (city council).I will stay until the voters realize i am getting paid to do nothing but at least long enough to qualify for state health and Pension plan
Old 2012-07-08, 18:28   Link #38
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
got fired after one month
2 years later the company owner was indicted for fraud

Future plan: in my early 50s i will run for public office (city council).I will stay until the voters realize i am getting paid to do nothing but at least long enough to qualify for state health and Pension plan

What happen?! Well, personally, I have problems myself currently in my performance in the ER... Ah, I want to go back to OR!!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 19:53   Link #39
escimo
Paparazzi

Designer, self taught.

Your Current Status.
On a period of notice due to restructuring.

What made you choose it?
I drifted into it and fell in love with it.

Are you happy with it?
Yes. Current, not so optimal, employment situation not withstanding.

I'm in talks about partnering in a small design firm. This is a bit of a long term project however. As things stand I don't expect it to become a full day job in couple of years.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 20:08   Link #40
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
What happen?!
wasn't very good.